Start by marking “Aussie Midwives” as Want to Read:
Aussie Midwives

Aussie Midwives

Midwives play a vital role in supporting women through some of the most challenging and rewarding moments of their lives.  These remarkable professionals watch over births across Australia and this inspiring collection features stories from the remote outback to busy urban hospitals. From homebirth midwives, to rural and remote island nurses, to midwifery educators and cli

Published March 28th 2016 by e-penguin

To ask other readers questions about Aussie Midwives, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Aussie Midwives

Start your review of Aussie Midwives
Tanya
Jun 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I spotted this book on the shelf at Big W and initially I wasn't going to buy it. It's not my usual thing, but over the next few days I kept thinking about it and wanting to read it, so went back and bought it. Immediately bumped it to number one on the TBR list.

It was a interesting read about midwives, not only the ones assisting in the birthing rooms, but also the ones behind the scenes in education, the ones in rural areas or away from hospital helping women and babies in less than ideal cond
Shannon
Jul 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I adored this book. Having birthed three babies myself and having friends that are midwives it was great to get an insight into what these incredible women do every single day - assisting in the birth of human beings into the world. From the small towns to remote locations, this book shows the power of the midwife in helping and supporting woman to do what comes naturally and when it doesn't come naturally, drawing on the skills they have to assist. Well done Fiona on such a wonderful read.
Elisabeth
Midwifery is one of the most fascinating occupations. Midwifes are witnessing and assisting the miracle of birth every day – how incredible and special is this?!
Midwifery in Australia – especially in the small country towns and even the remote outback – is even more fascinating. I thought the stories of all of the midwifes in this anthology were very interesting.

Sadly, I couldn’t shake the feeling that the book stayed too much on a surface level and resisted to dig a little deeper in order to be
Jessica Dowdell
Jan 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed the stories in this book. Love how real and inspiring it is
Stacey Ellice
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a real and emotional read. Midwives are amazing
Miri Marta
Dec 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A lovely collection of stories of various midwives who give us so much to aspire to.
Michelle
Mar 04, 2020 rated it liked it
Interesting but more birth stories and information about the places the midwives worked would have interested me more.
Bec
Feb 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this book. I have read some of Fiona's novels and hearing these real life stories was amazing. This would be a great book for anyone thinking of getting into midwifery.
Lena Lee
Jun 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
Expanding my choice of books and biographies. It's surely an eye opener for me to a profession that I know nothing about.
TheCosyDragon
May 30, 2016 rated it really liked it

This collection of stories about Australian midwives couldn’t come at a better time than for Mother’s Day. The role of midwives in looking after mothers from conception to birth and beyond is something that should be inherently built into society. This non-fiction work unpacks some of the roles of midwives around Australia.

For me, this had a lot
Helen McKenna
Mar 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: aww-2016
It is often the doctors that get the kudos for the safe arrival of babies into the world, but in reality it is, and always has been, the midwives who are the true heroes of not just birthing but also pre and post natal care of women all around the world. It was nice to read a book dedicated to such an amazing profession.

From the huge hospitals of our major cities, to tiny clinics in the remotest of locations midwives are an ever present force in health care. It was interesting to read that midwi
Emilee
My little hopeful-future-midwife-heart really enjoyed this anthology!
Ellen
Apr 27, 2016 rated it liked it
A cosy peek into the practice of midwifery, and somewhat of an acquired taste depending on where your interests lie. The most absorbing stories came from those stationed in remote and regional locations, where childbirth can be a challenge and the risks are very real.
Heidi
« previous 1 3 next »
Maybe a bit too controlled by author 1 1 Jul 31, 2018 10:34PM

• A Life Of Her Own
  • The Surprising Power of a Good Dumpling
  • Meant To Be (The Button Jar, #3)
  • Return to the Adelaide Hills
  • The Sunday Girl
  • Wearing Paper Dresses
  • Mr. Nobody
  • Stone Country
Fiona McArthur has worked as a midwife for thirty years. She is the clinical midwifery educator inner rural maternity unit and teaches emergency obstetric strategies while working with midwives and doctors from remote and isolated areas.

Fiona has written more than thirty romances, which have sold over two million copies in twelve languages. She has been a midwifery expert for Mother and Baby magaz