Start by marking “I Had a Nice Time And Other Lies...: How to find love & sh*t like that” as Want to Read:
I Had a Nice Time And Other Lies...: How to find love & sh*t like that

I Had a Nice Time And Other Lies...: How to find love & sh*t like that

The New York Times bestselling authors of Nice Is Just a Place in France and creators of the online humor and advice phenomenon Betches.com and Instagram account @Betches explain the brutal truths of how to date like a true betch, with insights from the Head Pro.

In the age of Tinder, Hinge, or any other dating app that matches you with randos, the dating game has grown com
Published April 19th 2016 by Gallery Books

To ask other readers questions about I Had a Nice Time And Other Lies..., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Had a Nice Time And Other Lies...

Start your review of I Had a Nice Time And Other Lies...: How to find love & sh*t like that
Emily
May 28, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got a free copy of this book from YPG. Definitely not something I would normally read but it was hilarious and a great reading palette cleanser. Fun and not serious. Sometimes you just need fluff. I regret nothing.
Caitlyn
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was very excited to read this because I thought I was a betch. I'm blunt, straightforward and won't take shit from anybody. But I found this book to be really freaking mean and made me feel bad about myself. In a non-helpful way.

There was some great advice in the book, but getting through it was hard because it was so insulting! Being mean is not funny. It can ruin people's self-esteem and I don't think capitalizing on it is right.
Teigan
Aug 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"If someone is treating you like they don't give a shit, it's because they don't give a shit"

Ouch! But accurate. Will be remembering that quote for a long time. I've realized I'm more of a Karen than a Betch- so I found this books honesty equal parts depressing and enlightening.
Zee Monodee
Bit too 'betchy' for my taste. It's like a crew of mean girls got together and are then discussing life and relationships in today's world. As the nerd who never was popular, this didn't ring with me at all.
Robin
Jan 21, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The best part of this book was when it was over.
Sophie Wang
Not sure why I bought this book since I didn't like/finish the first one by the same author(s)--Nice is Just a Place in France. I honestly was not sure if the first book was a satire or if the author(s) wanted to be taken seriously. This one is a bit better; kinda funny, a bit more serious, but I dunno. Still seems like one of those junk books you'd read when you have nothing better to do and don't want to delve into a heavy book of actual literary value. Read the first two chapters but got kind ...more
Paige
Feb 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Exactly what you would want in a dating "advice" book from the Betches. Hilarious yet real, and of course, super betchy. Read the first 2/3 of the book, and maybe skip the final chapters on actual relationships since they're not as funny and don't seem to be the Betches area of expertise. But honestly you're reading this to laugh at all the horrific dating app experiences and texting fails that every 20-something can relate to. Take it all with a grain of salt, and you'll find some actual solid ...more
Kristi
Jan 13, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
While this book will certainly never be a selection in Emma Watson's Our Shared Shelf feminist book club, it provided enough laughs and betchy advice to be a worthwhile read for most millennial women looking to improve their love life.
Jenni Ross
Apr 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such a great book! Totally hilarious, filled with great advice, and completely accurate!
Anna
Jul 30, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ridiculous book, and the "advice" made me shake my head at it, but provided some good laughs too.
Kelley Kirby
Jan 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hilarious! Great after a break-up or while beginning to date again!
Summer
Jun 05, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book to be incredibly insulting, derogatory, and absolute garbage. I didn't even manage to finish the first chapter. Don't waste your time.
Joseph Young
Both hilarious and terrible. Betches be crazy.

I'm clearly not the demographic for the book, which seems to be a late 20 something party girl who hasn't been able to sustain a healthy long term relationship leading into marriage, but who really really wants to. A lot of the advice seems like common sense: Don't get complacent, keep striving and improving yourself, don't be completely oblivious to things like guys' dickishness or cheating. An equal part of advice is stupid game playing: don't be
Amber
Feb 28, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love The Betches. I follow them everywhere; I like, retweet, regram, etc. This was not a terrible book, but it was not a great one. I think, perhaps, even just two years can make a difference with subject matter like this. Many sections came across as a bit tone-deaf in relation to the social climate today...more ...more
Danielle
Jan 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Funny & honest. Truth hurts & I liked it lol ...more
Evie Lu
Jul 18, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It's one of those books whose cover reveals exactly what you should expect on the inside. The Betches are definitely trying to give real life advice with some humour (a lot of which I didn't necessarily appreciate).

Practical? Somewhat.

Should you take it seriously and treat it as the dating Bible? No. And even they said not to take it too seriously.

One concept that they coined which I thought was super interesting is "emotional masturbation". Basically it's when (usually female) people start to
Veliza Vasquez
Jan 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lindsey Morgan
Dec 17, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I wanted something silly/snarky to read after reading some weighty books recently and the news being depressing as hell. Simply put, this book is trashy (in a bad way) and makes me feel bad about the future. No one should ever take dating advice from me but damn, at least I know what century we're living in. I got this book via the library (thank goodness). Don't worry about purchasing one of you want to read it. Just go to a used bookstore and buy a home economics book from the 1950's. You will ...more
Emily Kent
10/10 would not recommend. I read the first betches book and didn't like either but I bought both of them the same day so thought I would keep an open mind and try this. This didn't go much better than the first book. I'm just not a fan. I feel like their sarcasm missed the mark and came off more scornful towards those they were trying to make fun of. Everything was about getting drunk, being skinny, and daddy's credit card. I just graduated from college so it's not like I'm not in their demogra ...more
Julie Barquero
I came across this book because I've been following the Betches account on Ig for some months now. The book is written with the exact type of humour they use on their posts, so it's a very funny book. However I had some doubts about reading and including this book in here because I never read self-help books, I consider them just a bunch of bs in general. But here I am and I actually enjoyed it and found some useful advice, specially conserning self-image.
So yeah, this book didn't change my lif
Stephanie (the nerdy princess)
I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review

Exactly what you would want in a dating "advice" book from the Betches

A very fun and interesting read
Sydney Weinshel
Oct 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The entire time I was reading this book, I felt a mix of embarrassment and wonder. One the one hand, how embarrassing to read a book about dating and on the other hand, HOLY SHIT THIS BOOK MAKES SO MUCH SENSE. At the end, I wasn't embarrassed anymore. I felt like a bomb ass betch ready to conquer the world, with or without a man.
Akila Rice
Made me cringe at times with the fat jokes, thinly veiled eating disorder references and drug use mentions. Parts of it are fun. Like most dating/relationship advice books, most of this advice is useless but an easy read on how Betches can navigate the dating scene. At least the book is on brand. I follow the authors on Instagram and it reads just like their memes.
Zixuan
This book was entertaining and it gives some practical advice, but beyond that, it assumes that all women and men are the same and they all want the same things. The entire book can basically be summed up into: use your common sense when dating and love yourself before being committed in a relationship.

Overall rating: 3.25 / 5 Stars
Meghan Elizabeth
I added this to the 'humour' collection on my Kindle... as someone who has always appreciated books on etiquette, this is not a completely horrible book for navigating an over-30 dating life. It's got some useful tips, if you're really having a what-do-I-do? type of situation. The Betches preach confidence above all else. But it's a strange brew: 'marketplace' feminism mixed with post-feminist entitlement, where (seemingly white) classism and beauty privilege reign. Maybe they're being ironic? T ...more
Reena Saini
Sep 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is witty and insightful.
It's a quick read and well organized to address how to approach the different phases of dating in this day and age. From the initial 1-6 dates with a person to pre-nups for marriage, this Beetch book tells you how to handle it all! :)
Beth
Feb 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I discovered the betches almost 10 years ago when a friend introduced me to the Betches Love This Site with the “Betch List.” I lost track of them over the years as they’ve evolved into a larger brand, but it was fun to read their honest but satirical tone in a full book.
Rukhsar (rukhimonster)
After reading "When's Happy Hour?" I absolutely had to get my hands on this book.

What fun! Lots of laughs in this book and also some... "well duh" moments.

Going on a date tonight after a long time and it was hilarious reading this with the impending date in mind.
Liz Parissenti
Feb 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Surprisingly thoughtful fluff. I expected it to be catty, or cruel, or way too simplistic to be interesting, but I laughed and skimmed through the parts that didn't resonate. Good book for killing time, and you can pick it up and put it down whenever the mood strikes.
Alena
May 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely a book I would reach for whenever I need a laugh or a break from a heavy book. Highly recommend due to how comedic it is!
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Single State of Mind
  • F*ck Love: One Shrink's Sensible Advice for Finding a Lasting Relationship
  • The Gebusi: Lives Transformed in a Rainforest World
  • Something Beautiful for God
  • The New Girl(Webster Grove #1)
  • The Book of David