Start by marking “A Family of His Own” as Want to Read:
A Family of His Own

A Family of His Own

(Mannies Incorporated #2)

Will’s a widower with three little girls, including six month old twins, to look after. Most days it’s all Will can do just to get home from his advertising job in time for goodnight kisses, but now his mother-in-law is leaving the country with her new boyfriend and Will needs the help of a professional nanny.

Benji loves being a nanny; looking after other people’s kids i
Published January 26th 2016 by Sean Michael (first published December 16th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about A Family of His Own, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Family of His Own

Start your review of A Family of His Own
Eli Easton
Dec 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's no secret that I love romances that feature men with kids. Mannies Incorporated made my best of the year list. This book is not as good as the first, but I enjoyed it. One of the MCs, the dad, has diabetes and it was an interesting element of the book and gave the book a hurt/comfort flavor that I liked as the nanny tries to get the dad on a more stable course with his eating and insulin. The kids here are very young--twin infants and a 2-3 year old. The nanny was perhaps a bit too starry e ...more
Dionne
Dec 22, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book a lot better when it was called Daddy, Daddy and Me. I had to force myself to finish reading this because I kept comparing it with DD&M and found A Family of His Own lacking in comparison. Both books have gorgeous men that had recently lost a loved one and were left with kids to raise on their own while working jobs that force them to be very stressed and work a large number of hours, making a nanny a necessity, and both books have nannies that also happen to be gorgeous guys t ...more
Serena Yates
Feb 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gay, read-2016
The second volume of ‘Mannies Incorporated’ offers the same kind of magical combination of a devoted gay manny and a somewhat frazzled, widowed father of three little girls that I loved so much in the first book. The issues are different, but the “manny magic” is the same, and the slow pace of the developing relationship was just right for me—especially considering everything else that was going on in everyone’s lives. And, of course, the kids stole the show with the three-year-old Carolyn headi ...more
Emma Sea
Dec 20, 2013 marked it as probably-not  ·  review of another edition
SM is cannabalizing her own work now?

When Jeff agreed to be the sperm donor to his best friend Beth, he never expected a tragedy to leave his newborn and three year old motherless. That's exactly what's happened, though, and it's totally thrown his life into chaos: his lover has left him, his house isn't anywhere near childproof and his boss feels the restaurant has been patient enough with the time off.

Donny has always known he wanted to be in childcare, and he just finished his degree in early
F.
Very sweet, low angst story. William, a type1 diabetic, has been left a widow with a 3 year old and 6 month twins. He hasn't allowed himself to properly grieve and is going through the motions of daily life. His MiL has been helping but she is off to start a new life with a new love. Enter Benji - child whisperer extraordinaire. The rest is totally predictable but a nice gooey pleasure.
Karen
Jan 06, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm-read
I bought this book based on the first one in the series, I loved it. It was cute fluffy read that had me laughing and smiling pretty much from start to finish. I was hoping for a repeat performance.

A Family of His Own was ok, Benji was sweet and he did adore children and really the cutest part of this who book was the 3 year old. But I didn't feel the connection between the MC's the way I did in the first story. Will's struggle to keep his family going after the loss of his partner just didn't h
Hc
Jan 01, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another sweet uncomplicated romance. However, for me this didn't quite make it. At the beginning Will is still in super struggle mode over the loss of his partner Dale. I just didn't think the beginning level of mourning and missing moving into having a relationship was in a good time frame. Plus I expected Will to have some kind of survivor's guilt in regards to intimate time with a different person after exclusive in 10 years
Nile Princess
Enjoyed. I'm really loving the pacing on this series. Will being a Type 1 workaholic-diabetic, and widower, added an interesting twist to the storyline. Loved Benji. Carolyn's baby-talk got to be a bit much in this one but, overall, this was a great addition to the series.

On to Book 3!
DeeNeez
Sep 04, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, glbt, sh-2018
Sweet, sweet, and a bit overly sweet. A typical hurt-comfort romance. Majority of the book was how sweet the kids were, and the grieving father not taking care of himself with his diabetes. A predictable plot and overly sweet, and everything revolves around the kids. An ok read.
Serena Yates
Dec 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gay, feel-good
Lizzie
Dec 20, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I know he's not everyone's cup of tea, but I love Sean Michael and this didn't change my mind. I read the first in this series so when this came along I couldn't pass it up. The story was good, the kids adorable for the most part and Will was believably "floundering" after his loss. Benji comes to the rescue slowly pulling the family together again.

This of course let us see that Wills mother-in-law allowed him to flounder. She also seemed to slowly fade from the story as it progressed. I also wi
Arthur
Dec 24, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

Sean Michael writes two kind of books: the smutty kind (e.g., Jarhead series) where the sex scenes are ubiquitous, and the heart-felt romance with low-in-sex kind (Daddy, Daddy & Me, Long Road). Those books are good when we use their own 'standard'. This particular one seems to be ambivalent.

At first, this seems to be in the first kind. It even feels a bit angsty book, what with one of the MCs still mourning his late partner, and tell the nanny to stay out of his boss' business. Toward
☆ Todd
Oct 13, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
"Da! Da! Da-Bee!" Times like a million. That repetitious dialogue nearly drove me out of my tree before the final page. That and the fact that the toddler would speak in baby talk one minute, then perfectly *adult* sentences the next.

And just like most 3 year old little girls, the one in this book must've thought if she shut up for more than 3 consecutive seconds, she'd pop out of existence. ** POP* God, let me tell you, she was in NO danger of that happening.

Any whooooo... Let's just say that I
Phaney
Mar 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, oh-yes
This second book felt a little shorter (although I have no idea whether it really is) and we get a very different mood – both due to the tragic back-story that lead to the depressing setup and because the children are so much younger. There’s only so much you can do with six-month-old babies in a story.

This volume is not even remotely as relentlessly uplifting as the first because it centres on pulling Will back from the brink. And it feels exhausting to even read about how much work the kids ar
Candice
Dec 18, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, lunch, manny-kids
3.5 Stars

Now, I am a mother of 2 girls (ages 5 and 7) and it has been a few years since they were 2, but I think I would have enjoyed this more if Carrie talked like a 2 year old (she does have a birthday where she turns 3 towards the end of the book) throughout the entire book. There were times when she'd talk like a 2 year old then move right along into speaking like a 6 year old or something. The inconsistency bothered me most.

I really liked Benji and I liked Benji with Will. I am a stay at h
K
May 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
another sugar filled installment of gay men and children. Benji is a newly out of work nanny looking for a placement when Mannies Inc send him to Will, a widow with three small girls, including twins of under a year old. Will is still grieving the death of his husband a year before, and working himself into the ground - he also suffers from Type 1 diabetes and isn't good at controlling it. The relationship between the two grows fairly slowly, but there was a lack of guilt from Will. Aga
Riina Y.T.
I had a little re-visit with Bee and Will last night :)

What a wonderful story! A perfect cozy read for a cozy night on the sofa. Little Carrie is simply adorable, it's almost too much! :)

I still can't get over how sweet and perfect our Benji here is *sigh* He's so good for Will, and it's just great to see them slowly find their way to each other..

I just love this series, and I am looking forward to more from the Mannies Inc.
Shannon
Dec 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: aa-recommend
This was all kinds of cute and cuddly. I just loved reading the cute kid sayings. I remember those days! Benji is the new nanny for Will who is a widower who works way too hard and doesn't spend enough time at home. Not to mention Will has diabetes that he's really not taking care of. I loved that added element and that Benji got to look out for him also. Fun read.
BWT (Belen)
This had a much more somber tone to it than the first in the series, Mannies Incorporated. Which totally makes sense, but dragged down the enjoyment factor for me.

Also, my two biggest peeves were with how the author handled the diabetes and the relationship.
Tracy
Dec 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, romance
4.5 Stars
For I want to say I love Sean Michael. This second book in Mannies Incorporated is amazing. Will and Ben are so great together. I love that there's no crazy drama between the MCs, it's just a sweet love story.
It is a great book serie. The story seems believable. Mourning is such a hard subject to deal with and adding to it 3 little kids and a chronicle disease no wonder will really needed help.
Benji was great and loved their family.
V
Dec 17, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm afraid I din't like it as much as book one, it bored me in some parts. However the cover is gorgeous, that was the main reason I purchased it.
Kaetrin
buy 10 get 1 free from ARe book
Shakisha
Feb 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this one too! Another easy read. I want to keep reading about these amazing Nannies and the Families that need them.

Re-Read Sept 2014
AliciaJ
It was sweet, but not saccharine. I enjoyed it.
Martijn Hartman-maatman
A worthy follow up in the series, but way way too much attention to the children.....
Ashley
Sep 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ben loves being a many, but his luck has been down recently, his last couple of families have had to let him go due to troubles of their own. When the agency calls him about twin girls plus an older sister who are daughters of a widower, Ben snaps the job up.

Will's partner died over a year ago leaving him in charge of three little girls and while he had wanted all of his children, he doesn't feel like he is the paternal type, when his "mother-in-law" hires a male nanny, Will isn't sure its goin
Elizabeth
Jan 03, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, m-m, romance
Not as good as book #1, a bit boring.
Kobie
Jan 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
sweet. i did want to yell " eat some vegetables " a bunch of times though!
L.G.
Dec 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-bl-lgbt
3.5 Stars
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Throwing Hearts
  • Single (Single Dads #1)
  • Promise (Single Dads #3)
  • Today (Single Dads #2)
  • Virgin Flyer
  • Pretty Pretty Boys (Hazard and Somerset, #1)
  • Not a Game (Friends, #1)
  • Fake It 'til You Make Out (Love & Luck #1)
  • Rule Breaker (Mixed Messages, #1)
  • Above and Beyond (Twist of Fate #4)
  • Without You
  • To Have It All
  • The Alpha's Manny (MacIntosh Meadows #3)
  • Finders Keepers
  • The Alpha's Widower (MacIntosh Meadows #1)
  • Murder House (PsyCop, #10)
  • Surprise Groom (Marital Bliss, #1)
  • Pretty Perfect (Boys in Makeup, #1)
Often referred to as "Space Cowboy" and "Gangsta of Love" while still striving for the moniker of "Maurice," Sean Michael spends his days surfing, smutting, organizing his immense gourd collection and fantasizing about one day retiring on a small secluded island peopled entirely by horseshoe crabs. While collecting vast amounts of vintage gay pulp novels and mood rings, Sean whiles away the hours ...more

Mannies Incorporated (8 books)
  • Mannies Incorporated (Mannies Incorporated #1)
  • And Manny Makes Seven (Mannies Incorporated #3)
  • Three to Get Ready (Mannies Incorporated, #4)
  • Making It Work (Mannies Incorporated #5)
  • Composing a Family (Mannies Incorporated, #6)
  • Family Portrait (Mannies Incorporated #7)
  • Stress and the Modern Dad (Mannies Incorporated #8)

News & Interviews