Start by marking “Mortal Engines (The Hungry City Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
Mortal Engines (The Hungry City Chronicles, #1)

Mortal Engines

(Mortal Engines Quartet #1)

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  23,335 Ratings  ·  2,194 Reviews
"It was a dark, blustery afternoon in spring, and the city of London was chasing a small mining town across the dried-out bed of the old North Sea."

The great traction city London has been skulking in the hills to avoid the bigger, faster, hungrier cities loose in the Great Hunting Ground. But now, the sinister plans of Lord Mayor Mangus Crome can finally unfold.

Thaddeus Va
Published September 1st 2004 by Harper Collins US UK (first published November 16th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Mortal Engines, please sign up.
Felix No, realy, technology is not the point of that book. Still, it science-fiction, but it does not seem very realistic...
Jonathan Webb While His Dark Materials was better written (stronger prose) and had some really great concepts and ideas, I felt this was the stronger story arc…moreWhile His Dark Materials was better written (stronger prose) and had some really great concepts and ideas, I felt this was the stronger story arc overall.
Definitely worth ready.(less)
Soulless by Gail CarrigerLeviathan by Scott WesterfeldBoneshaker by Cherie PriestPerdido Street Station by China MiévilleThe Time Machine by H.G. Wells
Best Steampunk Books
1,003 books — 4,224 voters
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingThe Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanTwilight by Stephenie MeyerThe Giver by Lois LowryThe Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
Best Young Adult Books
11,096 books — 76,428 voters

More lists with this book...

Hannah Greendale
Mortal Engines is an enchanting blend of steampunk, dystopia, and whimsy. The adventure is grand, the world is alive, and the characters are memorable.

In the distant future, the earth is little more than barren landscape cluttered with the rusted remnants of crumbling infrastructure. People have raised the cities from the ground, retrofitting them with rolling tracks and steaming engines to prowl the wastes in search of smaller cities to devour for scrap.

The mining town saw the danger and turn
Jonathan Terrington
Third Review

You can read this review over at my website as well The Write Stuff and you will also be able to read my review of the film once I watch it in December 2018!

The Hungry City Chronicles is one of my favourite book series from childhood. I was around twelve to fourteen years old when I first read the series. The ideal age to read these novels and to be entertained by them. I had no preconceptions about literature structure. No knowledge about in media res or three-act story telling.

How
Ivan
It's town eat town world

I separate YA dystopian books in two categories based on two popular series. Hunger games it's children and books similar to Chaos walking. Mortal engines is latter.While it's bit older they are definitively branches of the same tree which has roots in old fantasy.

Mortal Engines is steampunk dystopia where after huge war ground become unstable and resources become scarce so entire settlements became mobile. Thousand years later and towns still roam and devour each other
Evelina | AvalinahsBooks
Nov 10, 2016 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Evelina | AvalinahsBooks by: boyfriend
So do they hand out those literary prizes for anything now? Second bad review in the same week, but I have to be honest. I read this book because my boyfriend read it when he was a kid/teen and he said he remembered it as awesome. Well, I guess we look at things differently when we're kids.

And yet - I know a lot of kids books that have brilliant writing, good story-building and don't need to be dumbed down.

Let me just put it in the form of a nice list. The good:
- good morals underneath
- nice ide
Mimi
Nov 30, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommended to Mimi by: S&L July 2018
This book gets a solid OKAY from me: good for young adult, but just fine overall. There was one thing about it that I couldn't get behind, and that one thing got in the way of my enjoyment. More on that below.

Generally speaking, this writing was too young for me, but this time I say that as an observation, not a critique, because it's written/meant for a younger audience (middle-grade level). Readers who enjoy YA would enjoy it as well, but the writing gave me that feeling that it was written wi
Patricia Bejarano
Una historia que tenía mucho potencial y que se ha quedado en nada...
Sin duda me moría por leer este libro, y más acercándose la salida de la adaptación cinematográfica, pero hubiera sido mejor ver solo la película y no atravesar el sufrimiento que me hecho pasar este libro.
Lo primero es que la narración es insufrible. Con este tipo de narrativa solo podían salir unos personajes insoportables, egoístas y que sufren durante la novela una involución (para mi gusto). Jamás llegas a empatizar con e
AH
Nov 07, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: YA readers
Most awesome book 4.5 stars!

"It’s a town-eat-town world.” –Municipal Darwinism

Municipal Darwinism is a concept that hooked me right from the first page. Imagine a society where hungry cities roam, searching for prey. Imagine these huge cities, shaped like giant steel tiered wedding cakes rumbling around the countryside gobbling up smaller towns and settlements. Imagine the noise, the dust, and the deep tracks in the mud. This is the intriguing world of the Mortal Engines.

This is a world set fa
Aaron Vincent
Jan 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Originally Posted on Guy Gone Geek

With the dystopian boom the market is now seeing, it’s kind of hard to find a true dystopian novel. Strange, isn’t it? There are lots of ‘dystopian’ novels being published these days but only few of it really fits the genre. Yeah, some books tries but that’s what makes the difference: it tries, it doesn’t just be. Gone was the bleak tone of the narrative. Gone was the relentless nature of the society. Gone was the subtle questions the readers have to ask themsel
Emily
Jul 02, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: those who like strong female characters, children's fantasy, and books set in London
Shelves: scififantasy
I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. It's has a great concept: mobile cities roam Europe "eating" each other. It has a nice, if off-beat, feel for London. On the plus side, the novel actively attacks heroic ideals, leaving a darker, more morally ambiguous world view than I'd expected. I especially liked how Reeve initially juxtaposes the beautiful, "High London" girl Kate, who is oblivious to the oppression that keeps her world afloat, with a physically and mentally scarred Hester, who is b ...more
Lata
3.5 stars (I think.) this was a surprisingly dark book. There are some great ideas here; I find the concept and the application of “municipal Darwinism” pretty scary. The numbers of people and resources destroyed just to keep the huge, moving city of London (and other smaller, moving cities and towns) going. And the classification of people into specific professions (Engineers, Historians, etc), which I had previously encountered in “Fever Crumb”, feels even more rigid and restricting. There are ...more
Phoenix2
Oct 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: fantasy lovers
Shelves: fantasy
Because of the movie coming out soon, I've picked up this book hoping for a great adventure. And yes, the story is actually really good, but the writing isn't. Is like having a great idea but not executing it properly. Now, Tom, the lead character, was likable and had a major character development. I liked that he was a realistic hero and he did what we all would have done in his shoes. I also liked Kate and her story. Actually, her story was the most interesting one. As a character, Kate was sw ...more
Joanne
Sep 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
I quite enjoyed this book. It has everything that YA genre enjoy - adventure, love mystery. It’s certainly a book adults would enjoy. The suspense kinda builds throughout the story until,the final climax and that was done well. I might consider reading the rest of the series.
Daniel
Jan 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Za knjigu sam cuo i ranije ali kada sam saznao da ce Piter Dzekson da producira film plus trejler koji sam video me je odma zainteresovalo za ovaj serijal tako da sam morao da bacim pogled na nju :)

Prica ima stvarno unikatni setting; daleka buducnost, posle nuklearnog rata ljudi su presli da zive na pokretnim gradovima di veci jedu manje radi prezivljavanja. Uvrnuto ali interesantno i zabavno. Jedino sto nikada nije tacno objasnjenjo kako je krenulo sa tim i kako im se isplati.

Pratimo dva lika,
Aleshanee
Tolle Ideen und interessante Charaktere, aber insgesamt wars mir etwas zu oberflächlich ...

Mir war vor dem Lesen zum Glück bewusst, dass es sich um ein Kinder/Jugendbuch handelt - das merkt man dann doch recht schnell an den Protagonisten und auf die Logik sollte man im Detail auch nicht allzu sehr achten. Insgesamt war es aber spannend aufgebaut und vor allem die Ideen sind sehr originell!

"Es war ein dunkler, böiger Nachmittag im Frühling, und im ausgetrockneten Bett der Nordsee eröffnete Londo
Kayıp Rıhtım
Yürüyen Kentler uzak bir gelecekte, distopik bir zaman aralığında geçiyor. Altmış Dakika Savaşları denen şiddetli bir çarpışma sonucunda tüm kıtalar yerle bir olmuş, güdümlü atom bombaları ve virüslü özel bombalar Dünya’nın neredeyse bütün kaynaklarını yok etmiştir. Hatta Kuzey Amerika kıtası o kadar kötü durumdadır ki oraya artık ölü topraklar denmektedir. Londra başta olmak üzere Avrupa’daki kentlerse devasa tank paletlerinin ve güçlü motorların yardımıyla hareket eden, mobil şehirlere dönüştü ...more
Wei Cho
Dear reader,

MAGNIFICENT READ. FAST PACED. EXCITEMENT!!!

I don’t have enough words to describe how much I enjoyed this book. The genre, post-apocalyptic steampunk science fiction, has made it into one of my top favourite genres; it totally submerged me intoa new world. Reeve introduces us into a new, strange, colourful, yet gritty world, ruled by “MunicipalDarwinism” (town-eat-town world). His world-building was exceptional, creating an adventurous environment where cities move and “eat” each othe
Julie

Man, I love that opening line: it immediately raises so many questions, and weirdly reminds me of Stephen King's inimitable The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed. It immediately plunges you into a chase scene with an urge to know more and see what happens.

I needed something light and whimsical after my previous book, so t
Jenny (Reading Envy)
Well... I picked this book back up a few times to try to just finish it but I'm finding my brain just can't handle the sheer amount of implausibility. I mean, I have a pretty strong ability to suspend disbelief but there is something about the ridiculous mechanics in this that make me unable to finish. I gave it a try though, which to me is the reason I belong to the Sword & Laser group, to try things I wouldn't have otherwise.
Lesincele Viaja gracias a los libros
El inicio me costó un poco ya que es algo introductorio cuando nos presenta el mundo en el que las ciudades van sobre ruedas intentando alimentarse de otras ciudades mientras el movimiento antitraccionista se hace cada vez más fuerte. Pero una vez que conoces el mundo, la trama se vuelve absorvente y me sorprendió en todos los aspectos. Con ganas de ver que ocurre en el siguiente
M. Ihsan Tatari
Sep 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beklediğimden çok daha keyifli ve sürükleyici bir romandı.

Başlangıçta genç-yetişkin türüne girdiği için biraz çekincelerim vardı açıkçası. Ama Philip Reeve başrollerinde gençlerin bulunduğu, az buçuk karanlık ve oldukça merak gıdıklayıcı bir anlatı ortaya çıkarmayı başarmış.

Uzak gelecekte, Altmış Dakika Savaşları adı verilen bir olayın ardından Amerika toprakları yok olmuş, Londra başta olmak üzere Avrupa'daki çoğu şehir ise güçlü motorlar ve devasa tank paletleri aracılığıyla yürüyen kentlere d
Saga Norén
Sincerely, this kind of books don't like so much, and for the high price, I wouldn't spend the money.
Megan
Feb 24, 2011 rated it liked it
Mortal Engines is a wonderfully odd, action packed, steampunk YA book that I never would have picked up if it weren’t for a recommendation from Ashley. It was a strange one for me to read and an even stranger one to review. This story is set in a post-apocalyptic world where the societal norm is for towns and cities to be vertical and mobile. They acquire resources, art and workers by overpowering, or “eating” as they put it, smaller towns. Then there are the “anti-tractionists” who live in stat ...more
The Book Queen
Feb 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYONE EVERYWHERE
Recommended to The Book Queen by: the wonderful person who put this on my library reading challenge list
I AM IN LOVE WITH THIS BOOK. One of my favourite books (and series) of all time. I've rated less than 10 books five stars, ever. Less than 10. These are the books I absolutely love; I'm completely blind to their flaws and will sit there and worship them. Mortal Engines is one such book.

Reeve writes an astonishing story with a brilliant and engaging plot. The world-building is fantastic: many centuries into the future, where cities are on wheels and wander over the earth eating smaller cities. It
Andrew
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
And so on to the last of books I need to catch up upon and one I must add which was so much fun to read. As I have hinted at in the review for Night Flights - this is the first of the Hungry Cities series (I will admit I am sure I have known them by other names but I am sure Goodreads is right - as I thought they were the Mortal Engines?).

Anyway this is my first edition I have been putting off and off for no apparent reason - till now.

Any boy was a I missing out - the story will soon be told in
Fiona
Mar 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: absolutely everyone
Shelves: favourites
Larnacouer  de SH
Kelimenin tam anlamıyla Y I K I L D I M.
Kitapla ilgili deli dehşet fikirlerim, beklentilerim falan yoktu buna rağmen bittiği zaman kendimi kötü hissettim, hayal kırıklığına uğramış, memnuniyetsiiiiz, suratsııız, "O neydi gız? diye söven; bu nedenle seriye devam etmeyeceğim.

Kitap için tam olarak karmakarışık bir sığlık diyebilirim: Net bir tarih vermemekle birlikte, uzak gelecek diye bahsettikleri bir zamanda 60 dakika savaşları sonrasında mahvolan dünyanın Yürüyen Kent'i Londra'dayız.
Ve kitap bo
Rezza Dwi
Fiksi ilmiah steampunk; dunia dengan masyarakat memanfaatkan logam dan teknologi mesin sebagai sumber daya utama.

Petualangan Tom dan Hester mengejar London ini seru. Termasuk adanya politik pemerintahan (yang gila) 😂

Dengan world building steampunk dan aksi kota berpindah-pindah saling melahap, ala ala pembajakan, buku ini jadi punya sesuatu yang beda. Ide yang terasa fresh buatku. Antimainstream 😆

Setiap kota harus bertahan hidup. Dimakan atau memakan?

Buku ini juga sadis. Empati masyarakat sangat
Phils Osophie
Nov 11, 2018 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Toller Einstieg! Bin gespannt, wohin diese Reise geht...
Fehiman
Dec 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
Yorumun aslı ve devamı Yorum Cadısı'nda.

Yürüyen Kentler, daha önce okumadığıma pişman olduğum kitaplar kategorisinin ilk sıralarında yer alıyor. Yaratıcı kurgusu, sürprizlerle dolu olay örgüsü ve kaliteli basımıyla favorilerim arasında. Türü ne olursa olsun, kurmaca kitapları seviyorsanız Yürüyen Kentler'e bir şans verin derim ;)
Screen & Page: Mortal Engines 2 1 Nov 17, 2018 01:26PM
jual Belt Conveyor Rubber 1 1 Nov 11, 2018 10:09PM
jual Belt Conveyor Rubber 1 1 Nov 11, 2018 08:30PM
jual Belt Conveyor Rubber 1 1 Nov 11, 2018 08:06PM
75 Books: Book Buddies: Mortal Engines by Philip Reeve 24 10 Oct 21, 2018 06:19PM
Crazy for Young A...: Group 6: Circe & Sarah & Kikijanika (October Besties) 21 18 Oct 15, 2018 12:10AM
  • Extraordinary Engines: The Definitive Steampunk Anthology
  • Heart of Veridon (The Burn Cycle, #1)
  • The Half-Made World (The Half-Made World, #1)
  • New Amsterdam (New Amsterdam, #1)
  • The Bookman (The Bookman Histories, #1)
  • Escapement (Clockwork Earth #2)
  • The Warlord of the Air (Oswald Bastable, #1)
  • Flaming London
  • Steampunk (Steampunk, #1)
  • Starclimber (Matt Cruse, #3)
  • Worldshaker (Worldshaker, #1)
  • The Light Ages (The Aether Universe, #1)
  • The Sterkarm Handshake (Sterkarm, #1)
  • Morlock Night
  • The Hunchback Assignments (The Hunchback Assignments, #1)
  • The Falling Machine (The Society of Steam, #1)
  • Clockwork Heart (Clockwork Heart, #1)
  • Homunculus (Narbondo, #2)
Philip Reeve was born and raised in Brighton, where he worked in a bookshop for a number of years while also co-writing, producing and directing a number of no-budget theatre projects.

Philip then began illustrating and has since provided cartoons for around forty children's books, including the best-selling Horrible Histories, Murderous Maths and Dead Famous series.

Railhead, published by Oxford Un

Mortal Engines Quartet (4 books)
  • Predator's Gold (The Hungry City Chronicles, #2)
  • Infernal Devices (The Hungry City Chronicles, #3)
  • A Darkling Plain (The Hungry City Chronicles, #4)
“You aren't a hero and I'm not beautiful and we probably won't live happily ever after " she said. "But we're alive and together and we're going to be all right.” 96 likes
“It was a dark, blustery afternoon in spring, and the city of London was chasing a small mining town across the dried-out bed of the old North Sea.” 30 likes