Start by marking “The Missing Chapter” as Want to Read:

The Missing Chapter

(Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe Mysteries #7)

When a loudmouthed, arrogant author is silenced, the reclusive master detective Nero Wolfe looks for the killer: "A very clever mystery . . . A masterly job" (Booklist).
The gun was fired close to Charles Childress's head, and his were the only fingerprints on it, forcing the police to conclude that the author committed suicide. But his friends know this is impossible, bec
Published June 21st 2016 by Mysteriouspress.Com/Open Road (first published December 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Missing Chapter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Missing Chapter

Start your review of The Missing Chapter
lisa
Jan 04, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I started reading the Nero Wolfe books by Rex Stout years ago. A friend and I found them in a Half Price Books store, and we bought all the ones on the shelf, divided them up, and exchanged them when we had finished reading them. For a long time we both looked out for other books in the series that we didn’t have. It wasn’t until this past Cyber Monday that I discovered that Robert Goldsborough had continued the series and written eight additional Nero Wolfe novels, including a prequel telling t ...more
Navaneeta
Robert Goldsborough is no Rex Stout. Well, he obviously isn't, but then the heart wants what it wants. And I prefer my Archie and Wolfe as Stout imagined them.
Christine Beverly
Another light and easy read...not a bad mystery for a holiday weekend from work. But hardly earth-shattering, life-changing great literature.

I liked this plot line better than the "Silver Spire", which was my first introduction to the Nero Wolfe character. It was less transparent, and until the last two chapters, I didn't have a grasp on the killer. I got there before the book did, but the ending was profoundly more satisfying.

At first, I thought using the death of a "continuator" was a clever
Barry Will
Jan 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Roughly a decade after Rex Stout's death ended the Nero Wolfe series of books, Robert Goldsborough was hired to continue the series. There are two distinct eras of Goldsborough's books. Early Goldsborough runs from 1986 (Murder in E Minor) to 1994 (The Missing Chapter). Late Goldsborough begins in 2012 (Archie Meets Nero Wolfe) and continues to (as of this review) 2018 (The Battered Badge).

Early Goldsborough is far superior. The seven books of that corpus, of which The Missing Chapter is the las
Barbara
I can't love these modern setting books. He does some of the stories pretty well for not being Rex Stout but one of the things I liked about the original books was the setting. He's messed that up and it feels wrong. There is no rule saying fictional characters have to age or time has to pass, he could have stayed in the past forever. And he should have.
I thought the premise about there being a writer who took over a beloved character after the original writer died was kind of a cheap shot. Too
Judith
I didn't know that anyone had "continued" the Nero Wolfe mysteries after Stout's death. But here he is, having completed several. The Missing Chapter features the death of another "continuator" - author who continues a series after the original author died.

Goldsborough does a decent enough job with Archie and Wolfe. I note that Archie now has a long-time girlfriend, which is perhaps a nod to the times. In Stout's novels Archie was always after the dame of the moment. We simply don't have that h
Alan
Nov 04, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rating between 3 and 3.5

I am not a follower of Nero Wolfe series by Rex stout but I remember reading reviews by fans saying these continuations were not very good at the time of publication.
It is at least 10 years since I read any of the Stout originals and I have a vague memory that the last time I tried one I found it slow going.
However for me I found the novel well written , easy to read, characters drawn well and generally interesting. The narrator Archie Goodwin was a pleasant voice to list
Virginia Tican
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*****SPOILERS AHEAD*****

As I felt like the chicken still running around even with its head chopped~off trying to guess who the killer was... and up until realizing how jealously writers guard their creations (until finished or until publication)... for in fact these are their "children," for that alone, I gave this work 5 stars.

P.S. ~ In Chapter 10 during Chet's conversation with both Gina and Archie "I love you defend the Mercury. I know Goodwin meant no offense, though. If he didn't come up w
Kay Hudson
May 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, e-books
I read my way through the entire canon of Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe books back in the day, and I've been thoroughly enjoying Goldsborough's new ones; in my opinion he keeps the flavor of the originals while bringing them slowly up to date (this one has Archie using a PC, while an author toils on a word processor--haven't seen any cell phones yet). The Missing Chapter is particularly amusing as Archie and Wolfe investigate the murder of a "continuator," an author producing new books in a series afte ...more
Dora
Jun 29, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Missing Chapter

It is somewhat surprising that Goldsborough chose the death of a continuator (one who continues writing a series after the original author has died) as the subject for this book since he himself has chosen to continue Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe series.

One of the problems I had with this book is that Goldsborough is dragging Archie and Nero into modern times with PCs but then the language has stayed more in tune with the 40s.
Paul O'Grady
This was a good effort and much stronger than some of Goldsborough's other Nero Wolfe mysteries. The plot was a little self-indulgent on the author's part but I'll let him poke fun at himself. The climax of the story did little to surprise me and I felt much of the novel was a giant red herring ascribing (far fetched?) motives to as many people as possible. Nevertheless, the characterizations are strong and true to Stout's vision. An enjoyable, if highly flawed, read.
Alexis
Mar 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it! But I love all of the Nero Wolfe books, whether they are written by Rex Stout or Robert Goldsborough! If you're a new reader to the Nero Wolfe books, I'd suggest that you begin at the beginning! Find the list of books in order of their initial release, and read them in order. You won't be disappointed!
Delia Binder
Mar 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of Goldsborough’s Better Nero Wolfe Pastiches

None of Robert Goldsborough’s Nero Wolfe follow-on novels are bad, but some capture the flavor of Rex Stout’s writing and characters better than others. Usually, the contemporary novels are less faithful than the historical ones (I’m still trying to wrap my mind around the idea of technophobe Nero Wolfe actually allowing a personal computer into his home!) - in this case, though, I think he gets the flavor right.

Mary
Jul 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Goldsborough continuations of the Nero Wolff series are something like a sugar high followed by a slightly disgruntled crash. They aren't bad but they are somewhat pale imitations of the real thing.
Ying_ko
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well-written Nero Wolfe mystery

Enjoyable by any of Rex Stout's fans, the book deals with the death of a written who has continued another's mystery series. I am certain some of the book comes from the author's experience in such an endeavor.
Julie
Sep 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Robert Goldsborough, Rex Stout’s continuator, has Nero Wolfe investigating the murder of a continuator of a popular mystery series. The idea amused me and it was a very well written book.

Wolfe, Archie, Fritz and Saul are all very much themselves. Well crafted.
Margaret Sweet
Feb 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good story, and a well plotted book

Goldsborough knows his Rex Stout and his original characters well. He morphs Archie into more modern times seamlessly. Fast read and over too soon.
Carolyn Rose
Mar 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy spending time with Nero and Archie and this was a good yarn - and for once I had it figured out along with Nero.
LecturerRich
Jul 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is not rex stout but very good and it is about an author who picks up another authors series after he dies - so cue
Brian Carney
Mar 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A worthy continuation of the Stout books. If anything, it was too short. I finished it wanting more.
Joy
Dec 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read 2 times
Alice Segura
Nov 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finished-reading
Who did it?

Another mystery written by a suitable substitute for Rex Stout. Archie and Wolf are faced with more suspects than usual. A nasty writer was dead by suspected suicide and yet everyone around him had a reason to want him dead. Through twists and turns Wolf reveals the killer. This story is tightly woven and to reveal more details would make the reading less enjoyable.
Robert J. Sullivan
In Robert Goldsborough's “The Missing Chapter”, he continues the stories of Rex Stout's inestimable detective Nero Wolfe and his right hand man, Archie Goodwin, in their investigation of the death of a writer. The police called it suicide, but the writer's publisher wants Wolfe to find out if it was murder. Was he murdered by the possibly-crooked reviewer? The editor he got fired? The agent he fired? His hard-as-diamonds fiancee? Or was it someone else? As always, Wolfe doesn't let us down.

Golds
Ed
May 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
#7 in Goldsborough's continuation of Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe series (following 47 volumes by Stout). Humorously, a mystery series is being continued by another author after the death of the series creator - this parallels author Goldsborough continuing the series created by Rex Stout. Goldsborough continues to faithfully recreate the series characters of Wolfe, sidekick Archie and his female friend Lily, police officers Cramer, Stebbins and Rowcliff, etc. The plots were never the reason for readi ...more
bea
So before you read my review, I want you all to know that this is my first encounter with the Nero Wolfe series, so I cannot compare it to the other books. The story behind this book is quite interesting, too, about how this was the last book of the series, how he said goodbye, etc. So, please read my review with an open mind.

Like I said before, The Missing Chapter reminds me too much of Sherlock Holmes. There are a lot of differences though, like how Wolfe is VERY anti-social, how his assistant
A.G. Lindsay
Apr 24, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
I've only read four of the Goldsborough Wolfe books, but this is the one I liked the least.

That should not have been the case. The set up was rich in fuel for Archie quips and other humor: the author is writing about himself, sort of: an author tapped to continue a popular mystery series commits suicide...or does he?

There's too much "missing" from this book, and yet other "business" is included for seemingly no reason.

Wolfe takes the case, certain the author, Childress, has been murdered, but ne
Michael Brown
Third book in the new Nero Wolfe series by Goldsborough. Having read several later volumes I have now read one and two of his work. It is almost as if Mr. Stout were still writing. Goldsborough uses more current day references so we know this story is from the mid 70's but like Stout he keeps current affairs a bit vague unless the story calls for a specific reference. Partially forced by Archie and partially out his own curiosity ( his logic is a bit odd ) he undertakes to prove another suicide ...more
Travis
Oct 17, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Love Rex Stout, but Goldsborough's Nero Wolfe novels have left me pretty underwelmed.
This is probably the best of them, but even that, it's not as good as my least favorite Stout book.

A writer, who has taken over writing a beloved mystery series ( cute bit of conceit, but references to it wear thin by the end of the book) dies. The police think it's suicide, but a friend of his thinks it's murder.
Archie convinces Wolfe to take the case, as it looks like easy money and the bank account is getting
Marvin
Nov 27, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is thin beer indeed. It's hard to tell if Goldsborough is trying to ape Stout and failing, or has just figured he really can't imitate Stout so he won't bother to try. The real turn-off is that the central character of Archie in this novel is merely a shadow of the self-confident, wise-assed charmer we once knew. Not because of any plot machinations or unexpected character development, you understand -- it's simply because Goldsborough lacks Stout's snap.

The self-referential plot involves t
Pat
Sep 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When a loudmouthed author gets silenced, Wolfe looks for the triggerman

The gun was fired close to Charles Childress’s head, and his were the only fingerprints on it, forcing the police to conclude that the author committed suicide. But his friends know this is impossible, because Childress loved himself far too much. He had just begun attracting fame, writing new mysteries starring the iconic Sergeant Barnstable, and he had bright hopes for the future. His publisher hires corpulent genius Nero W

• A Family Affair (Nero Wolfe, #46)
  • Three Men Out (Nero Wolfe, #23)
  • Death of a Dude (Nero Wolfe, #44)
  • And Be a Villain  (Nero Wolfe, #13)
  • Please Pass the Guilt (Nero Wolfe, #45)
  • Gambit (Nero Wolfe, #37)
  • Trio for Blunt Instruments (Nero Wolfe, #39)
  • Plot it Yourself (Nero Wolfe, #32)
  • And Four to Go (Nero Wolfe, #30)
  • Homicide Trinity (Nero Wolfe, #36)
  • Black Orchids (Nero Wolfe, #9)
  • Too Many Clients (Nero Wolfe, #34)
  • Might as Well Be Dead (Nero Wolfe, #27)
  • Death of a Doxy (Nero Wolfe, #42)
  • The Mother Hunt (Nero Wolfe #38)
  • The Rubber Band (Nero Wolfe, #3)
  • In the Best Families (Nero Wolfe, #17)
  • If Death Ever Slept (Nero Wolfe, #29)
Robert Goldsborough is an American author of mystery novels. He was born in 1937 and grew up in the Chicago area. Although he worked for 45 years for the Chicago Tribune and Advertising Age, he first came to prominence in the 1980s with the publication, with the approval of the estate of Rex Stout, of his Nero Wolfe mystery Murder in E Minor. Written privately for his mother back in 1978, shortly ...more

Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe Mysteries (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Murder in E Minor (Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe Mysteries #1)
  • Death on Deadline (Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe Mysteries #2)
  • The Bloodied Ivy (Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe Mysteries #3)
  • The Last Coincidence (Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe Mysteries #4)
  • Fade to Black (Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe Mysteries #5)
  • Silver Spire (Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe Mysteries #6)
  • Archie Meets Nero Wolfe: A Prequel to Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe Mysteries (Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe Mysteries #8)
  • Murder in the Ball Park (Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe Mysteries #9)
  • Archie in the Crosshairs (Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe Mysteries #10)
  • Stop the Presses! (Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe Mysteries #11)