Start by marking “Begräbnisse zum Totlachen: Die durchgeknalltesten Bestattungen aller Zeiten” as Want to Read:
Begräbnisse zum Totlachen: Die durchgeknalltesten Bestattungen aller Zeiten

Begräbnisse zum Totlachen: Die durchgeknalltesten Bestattungen aller Zeiten

Das Morbideste und Merkwürdigste, was die Menschheitsgeschichte zu bieten hat. Zum Beispiel:
– Wie Sie die Überreste Ihrer Großmutter buchstäblich auf den Mond schießen können
– Wie Sie mit der Asche Ihres Gatten Farbe anrühren und ein hübsches Gemälde damit malen
– Mit Beauty-Tipps für das Leben danach
– Wie man geschickt ein Begräbnis vortäuscht
– Von den größten
Published July 19th 2014 by Tropen (first published March 18th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Begräbnisse zum Totlachen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Begräbnisse zum Totlachen

Start your review of Begräbnisse zum Totlachen: Die durchgeknalltesten Bestattungen aller Zeiten
Tiffany
Feb 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I don't read non-fiction. It's not another world I can escape to (which is why I love to read), and it usually feels like I'm reading a textbook in the end. So when I picked up Funerals to Die For, I expected to learn a lot of interesting details, sure, but I also thought I would have to commit to finishing it and make an effort to accomplish my goal.

BOY WAS I WRONG!

Just try and put this book down after you start it! It's humorous, and SO disturbingly interesting that if you are at all like
Baal Of
May 02, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
A good book for bathroom reading, this is a collection a very short, generally two page, blurbs on various factoids around death, dying, funerals, and related topics. The writing seems like it comes straight from some kind of blog, or as filler stories written for a daily newspapers, and it appears there is a reason for that. The articles, for lack of a better word, are peppered with mostly dumb jokes, and tidbits of interest, but not any real depth. I take this book with a healthy dose of ...more
Andrya Huntsman
Jul 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was recommended to me by a friend who enjoyed reading it and as a fan of Kathy's work on Cracked.com, I thought I might enjoy it as well. It isn't my usual genre, but I decided to give it a read anyway. Just looking at the cover, I felt it might be a bit morbid for my taste, but as I read the first few pages, I discovered that the facts are presented in a conversational manner which makes learning them far more entertaining than if they were presented in a more straight forward style. ...more
Morven
Dec 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I stumbled upon this book while doing research for a non-fiction article I was writing. Figuring that it might describe some obscure funeral customs that I could further research for my article, I gave it a shot.

It didn't have anything related to my article, but it certainly was enjoyable. The anecdote of British TV presenter Victoria Coren's run-in with people who attend funerals of people they don't know just for free food and drink (Google it), the story of record-setting hearse processions
Melissa
DNF
I was drawn to this book because of the title and also the topic. The truth is many of the subjects mentioned are well known and the author just repeats the information. I hated the writing style because it felt like I was reading one of those online articles that is more for quick entertainment and not to be taken very serious.
Robin
Bought this on Kindle this morning. Can't wait to read it! The author works with a friend of mine. If she has half as interesting as he is, this will be amazing!
Dee brown
Jun 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An absolute fantastic read! Macabre but interesting and amusing. A must read!!
Inn Auni
Jul 26, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Chapter 1: The Hilarious History of Inhumation
- The Terracotta Army

Chapter 3: Not-So-Solemn Superlatives
- The Most Bitter Cemetery
- The Most Violent Funeral

That was pretty much the part I like about the book.

It tried to cover almost every aspect of death, funeral and such but, fall short. It feels like I've read a click-bait article with interesting title but, information that could be better watch on National Geographic Channel.
Crystal
I wish the author was a bit more objective and less focused on how "weird" and "creepy" different death rituals are and were. For example, she writes About Victorian death photography in a way that's like well thank goodness we don't do that today! But people do. I've noticed a growing trend in parents who have stillborns making pictures, foot casts, and in some cases even replica dolls of the deceased. It certainly isn't anyone's place to judge. I think as long as you find some sort of ...more
Michael Martin
I could not finish this book. It gets old pretty quick and the formatting is horrible. The "call out" quotes come right out of the adjacent text and don't add anything but repetition and interruption to the flow of reading.

Only the 7th book out of hundreds they I could not finish. Just nothing compelling to waste more of my time trudging through the remainder
J.M. Knight
I only read to Post Mortem Photography before stopping. The author called Victorians Goth Wannabes which is what made me stop. Stereotyping Goths as death obsessed is very judgemental and very outdated. There are many types of Goths yet here is an author who doesn't care and thinks they're the same. I refuse to read a book by someone closed minded and judgemental.
Susie Stone
Flippant, judgmental even, poorly researched.
nikki
Dec 15, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, 2018
Really wish this came with some sort of resource citation, and a lot of the jokes fell flat for me, but otherwise I enjoyed this morbid little collection of musings on funeral traditions.
Absynthe Greene
Nov 21, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Kathy Benjamin needs to fire her editor
Kendy
May 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is full of interesting facts on death told with a great sense of humor. It is a must have for quirky conversation starters and random facts that you might want to hold onto!
Nix Muse
Jul 01, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I loathed this book and had to force myself to keep reading it. I got to the end and the book just... stops. No summary. No conclusion. Just index... I picked it up as a recommended book on Amazon from my previous purchases on the funeral industry, death practices, and the death positive movement. I didn’t notice who it was written buy and had I seen that I probably wouldn’t have spent the money. The author is insensitive to the point of being offensive when it comes to any culture/practice ...more
Katie
Oct 31, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookclub
This was a fun book to read as our spooky October Book Club pick. There were a lot of funny or interesting stories, quotes and ideas to talk about, but since there wasn't a plot, it was a tough book to read in any long sitting. Most of us didn't finish it, it was more of a book to pick up once a day and read a few of the quick 1-2 page stories, and then go about your day again. Maybe a bathroom book? The humor in the author's writing was funny in small doses but became overbearing if you read ...more
Brittany
3.5 stars. This is for people that are more comfortable with and have a lighter take on death. Stories of people that asked to have their vagina engraved on their tombstone to keep their husband interested and other unusual burials and funerals. The author is humorous (referring appropriately to a man who insisted on being buried with his Bluetooth in his ear as a douchebag) and there are funny quotes throughout. However, there were many unusual death practices she left out and it could have ...more
Luke Harrington
Jul 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found the writing a bit dry, and most of the jokes fell a bit flat for me, but the factoids were undeniably fun and interesting. It was an entertaining read, once I got through the first couple dozen pages.
Lindsey
Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Super interesting. Macabre and cheesy at the same time.
Heidi
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow, the author is actually funny...
Pixismiler
It really was a good book, but I save 4 and 5 star ratings for life changing books. I did love reading all the crazy stories in here. The author writes a lot like how I sound so that was fun.
Sarah Sale
Benjamin seriously needs to fire her editor. The book is full of errors and in a few places the same idea or joke is presented twice with slight differences, feeling like the author couldn't decide between the two different styles of the same line and then forgot to go back and delete one.
Kara
Oct 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

A fascinating look at all the different ways we, as a species, have handled death ever since we developed the cognitive skills to be freaked out by it.

Benjamin approaches the subject with a sense of humor and, surprisingly, there is actually a lot of humor to be found in the many, many, many different ways we treat those have died or plan for how we ourselves want to be treated once we kick the bucket. In fact, Benjamin perhaps makes a few too many jokes of her own, when she could have easily
Lauren
Jun 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Let's put the fun back in funeral!"

3.5 stars, rounded up. This book was actually a lot of fun to read, but only in intervals. Why? Because the writing style or jokey nature of it all got a little formulaic. And once that started to happen, I would set the book aside to read/do something else. It was interesting to read about other cultures and their traditions involving death, but there was a lot that I'm not down for... like eating the flesh or ashes of the dead person. Barf. However... this
Anita
Nov 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've been a fan of Cracked.com for a couple of years now, so when I realized that the author of one of the articles I enjoyed had written a book, I knew I had to read it.
And it didn't disappoint! This book appeals to my sense of humor and to my morbid curiosity, so it's a win-win. It would have been better with a couple of photos, but never mind, that's what's Google is there for.
Oh, and the descriptions aren't very graphic, so it shouldn't bother the most sensitive readers (although if you are
Maxi Bolongaita
It was OK. Not something worthy of a Pulitzer, but totally something I would see on an internet article from Cracked.com or the Huffington Post or the Thought Catalogue. Anyway, there were some interesting facts in it but there were some misleading parts. Like that part about the dog Booger's owner being a he when she's THE Joyce Mckinney, the woman who supposedly kidnapped a Mormon and chained him up for a sex-filled weekend!

So yeah, it was OK in a way an almanac is or a magazine.
Llothil
Jun 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely adored this book! It was absolutely amusing and riveting. Some of the rituals and ideas in this book are unbelievable. It is well written and comes in little exerts that allow for quick reading in between doing other things. Still has a ton of enjoyment value though! I loved it, and I highly recommend it for anyone with as quirky and morbid of a sense of humor as I do.
Aden
Jan 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this quite a bit. It is chock full of fun historical and current funeral practices. The entries are quite short so they were easy to get through. Just a taste of info with enough to go on if I wanted to search out more information. It also includes quotes from some of my favorite people. It would have received 5 stars but, it did not have any pictures.
Any Length
Jun 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a really funny book about funeral practices the world around as well as all things funny related to funerals, hearses, obituaries, and the like.
I can really recommend this book. It's also easy to read. Each segment covers about 1-2 pages. Lighthearted and written in good taste.

• Cats are Weird and More Observations
  • Stickman Odyssey, Book 1: An Epic Doodle
  • Blue Bloods: The Graphic Novel
  • The Zen of Zombie: Better Living Through the Undead
  • Mom's Cancer
  • Cat Getting Out of a Bag and Other Observations
  • Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children: The Graphic Novel (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children Graphic Novels, #1)
  • Does This Mean You'll See Me Naked?: A Funeral Director Reflects on 30 Years of Serving the Living and the Deceased
  • Deadly Women: Volume 5: 18 Shocking Murder Cases
  • The Mystery of the Exploding Teeth and Other Curiosities from the History of Medicine
  • Hands of an Angel, Mind of a Demon, Heart of a Saint: True Stories from a 10 Year Paramedic
  • Lucinda's Secret
  • Speaking of the dead
  • Ungovernable: The Victorian Parent's Guide to Raising Flawless Children
  • The Ironwood Tree
  • Quackery: A Brief History of the Worst Ways to Cure Everything
  • 101 Dumb Emergency Calls
  • Unbelievable stories from the emergency department
“Here’s a tip: if even maggots think it’s a bad idea, it is a really bad idea.” 0 likes