Start by marking “Nightshades (Nightshades, #1)” as Want to Read:
Nightshades (Nightshades, #1)

Nightshades (Nightshades #1)

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  1,016 Ratings  ·  162 Reviews
Alex McKenna is the new Special Agent in Charge of the Chicago office of the Bureau of Paranormal Investigations—the division tasked with investigating crimes involving shades.

Or vampires, as they’re more widely known.

Children have been going missing, and agents are routinely being slaughtered. It’s up to McKenna, and some unlikely allies, to get to the bottom of the probl
Published July 19th 2016 by Tor.com

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

It's no secret that I don't like Dead Things: ghosts, zombies, ghouls . . . vampires . . .

Vampires are an exception more frequently than other Dead Things, but they're rarely something I deliberately look for when picking out a book.

BUT.

Occasionally an author manages to strike a balance that is pleasing to mine eyes.

Someone manages to capture to undeadliness, the bloodthirsty ruthlessness, while setting apart an individual or small group of individuals who have tenaciou
Marta Cox
Jul 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Oo I'm always on the look out for a different type of paranormal story and I just might have found one here. Now please don't shout or groan but yes it's about vampires or shades as they are referred to here. Obviously they have lived amongst humans for quite some time but in this story it's a recent revelation with just one in captivity but as our story begins its clear that things are escalating but why?
Allow me to introduce Lindy , a shade with a shady past ( sorry I couldn't resist!) and she
Paul
Jan 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
in a rare moment of reflection i noticed i have read/am reading a fair number pf vampire novels as of late. so paul, my imaginary or potential review readers ask, what seperates this from the pack. ah im glad you asked(or that i asked for you). for one thing these vampires are unique, they spit in the face of established mythology
yet in a respectful manner. olson seemed to pay respect to the mythos while seeking literary means to bring a fresh perspective to it. and she didnt resort to sparkly
Ami

Need to say this first: Cliffhanger is EVIL!! How could you, author?!?

I am familiar with Melissa F. Olson's other urban fantasy series (and I like them very much), so I don't really think twice of trying this new one of hers. The opening was quite a punch -- scary and gritty. Then the story rolled.

I liked Olson's portrayal of vampires ... or shades. I liked the characters introduced as well. Alex McKenna, the new SAC of Bureau of Paranormal Investigations Chicago, who has a chip on his
All Things Urban Fantasy
Feb 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
**Reviews courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy**

Melissa F. Olson has become one of my insta-buy authors. I haven't read anything of hers I haven't liked, and NIGHTSHADES is no exception to that. NIGHTSHADES is a gritty police procedural in an awesome urban fantasy world.

NIGHTSHADES introduces a great cast of characters in what will hopefully turn into Olson's next series. NIGHTSHADES is a shorter novel, so it mainly focuses on three people in the newly minted Bureau of Paranormal Investigations.
Kira
The nightshades a.k.a. vampires weren't like the average vamp in two ways. One is the way they were made. Their saliva was the potent ingredient not blood. It had to be placed directly into the heart. That would have been some sick shit before needles were invented. It definitely would have prevented accidentally turning someone. The other way they were different is their looks. They weren't described as exceptionally beautiful. Their beauty wasn't what made them special.

It was a good start to t
Biana
Jul 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
TOO SHORT! TOO SHORT! I need more!
Sophia
The Shades are out of the dark and shadowy closet and now humans are realizing they aren't quite the top of the food chain. In fact, they are the prey...
I took one look at the blurb and who was narrating and I was all-fired ready to give Melissa Olson and her paranormal thriller a go.

Nightshades is the introductory story in a new series. It does the job of introducing the background, setting, and the players. As I learned more about the Nightshades world and this version of vampires I was intrig
Angie
Fyi it's unclear from the blurb but this book is more of an introductory novella to a new series. It has a cliffhanger ending.

Nevertheless, it was still good. I like the way Olson does paranormal. I usually like my vampire books on the smutty side but Olson is fantastic with character development and weaving interesting mysteries to solve that I don't really care about the lack of sex.

I didn't think there were many more ways to make a vampire story original but this story certainly is. If you
Eon ♒Windrunner♒
3.5 Stars

A pretty entertaining paranormal urban fantasy story. Not my favourite genre, but this was fast, thrilling, well written and worth the time. As a novella it seems to be setup as a primer for either a series or a full length novel, (read cliffhanger) but not sure if that is the case as I cannot find any further info. Either way, I’d read more of this.
Shelley
*Source* Publisher
*Genre* Urban Fantasy
*Rating* 3.5-4

*My Thoughts*

Melissa F. Olson (author of the Boundary Magic and Scarlett Bernard series) and Tor.com, have put together a short story called Nightshades that has plenty of intrigue and action that focuses on what would happen if the Mortal world discovered that the paranormal world actually existed and has been there the entire time. In this case, Olson has created shades, or if you like, vampires who are unafraid of pushing their weight aroun
Erica
Mar 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Nightshades is one of my 2018 favorites; you'd think I'd have written a review long ago (I read this in early March). I have a harder time writing reviews for books I've really enjoyed. I'm afraid my review simply won't do it justice. But, since it is a favorite, I also feel that I should write a review for it. So here goes.

Nighshades, or shades, is the word used to describe vampires in Melissa F. Olson 's urban fantasy world. I like to think that this is because 'vampire' simply feels too mov
Kate Campbell
Jul 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
* I received this title for free from NetGalley in return for honest feed back*

When I first started into Nightshades, I instantly thought how great of a TV show this would be. Federal Agents hunting dark vampires? I’ll be there on my sofa, at 9pm Thursday evening waiting for Nightshades Chicago to come on. It would be great!

The action in the book starts right away. Special Agent Ruiz and his partner are in a rural area of Illinois, looking for shades (vampires). The shades had been kidnapping
Lila
Jul 22, 2016 rated it it was ok

2,5 stars

My rating suggests I didn't like this book, but it's more to reflect how indifferent it left me. It's run-of-the-mill, paint it by numbers story about vampires. Very generic and absolutely nothing jumped at me as unique. Villain literally has this line:
"I am a king. And the stuff of nightmares.”

I admit I had some hopes, since Tor.com published some amazing novellas and especially since author wrote an article about Shadow Police series by Paul Cornell and I hoped that inspiration will s
Mara
Jul 28, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Unfortunately weak, as all her writing. She's got ideas, but the execution is often lacking. I feel something is missing, but if you ask me, I can't really pinpoint why.

The male lead sounds like an overexcited teen boy, not an FBI Special Agent. The plot didn't sound solid to me, neither world building, come to think of it.

It's a short, easy read, but nothing more than that.
Marjolein
Full review to come!
Lyndi W.
Jul 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Some issues. This was a little shorter than it should have been and the world-building is very sparse. So you're thrown in expecting to catch up and follow things, which is fine because there isn't a whole lot to grasp, but there's also a ton of stuff that wasn't explored at all. I needed more explanation for a few things and I feel like the characters themselves wouldn't have let those questions go unanswered. So that bothered me quite a bit.

My other complaint is the ending. It's a total set up
Ubiquitousbastard
Sep 29, 2016 rated it it was ok
Firstly, I hope I'm not related to the author (having Nordic roots in Chippewa Falls) because this is not going to be the nicest review that I've ever put together. Because, honestly, there isn't a lot nice to be said about this book.

My number one, most critical issue with this book was how exceptionally predictable it was. As soon as something came up, a MacGuffin or a character or a plot thread, I would instantly come to a conclusion to as to how it would play out and what the result would be.
Barb (Boxermommyreads)
Jun 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
This is a book I saw on someone's blog and when I checked it out for my Kindle, it was less than $2.00 so I went ahead and grabbed it. And what's even more amazing is that I managed to read it less than a week after it was purchased. No sitting in the kindle queue getting lost and waiting to be stumbled on some far day in the future for this one. It's now finished and I'm ready for the next installment - like yesterday. Can we say "Cruel cliffhanger Ms. Olson?"

Nightshades introduces us to a worl
Sachin Dev
Aug 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this in a couple of sittings, one at a Poetry Festival straight up for a two hours. A gritty take on the Vampire story, which still kept me hooked. despite nothing original about the story, this is still all sorts of fun.

Kept me hooked right until the end, Alex and Lindy made for great protagonists, one the FBI star agent and the other, the second oldest vampire? Put that way, it does sound a bit cheesy but trust me, Melissa writes a helluva story, full of. blistering action and thrills. n
Elisa
Nov 07, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5 stars, quite enjoyed. I didn't come to emote for the characters enough since this was a pretty dang fast tale. Lots of action, lots of interesting characters, but we don't get to know them extremely well to care about them tons yet. Though there is promise and I am looking forward to the next one to see where it goes.
A different type of vampire tale, power struggle amongst the alphas. lots to find out still.
A
Jul 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
It has become hard to do something different with vampires that is new yet not cheesy (sparkly). I got this in advance without knowing anything other than the blurb provided. Blurbs can be terrifying for authors and readers alike. I must say job well done. The blurb hooked me and the story reeled me in. I started this book and didn't put it down until I finished it. Everything was amazing from the light romance to the mystery to the light gore. I highly enjoyed it
Loriidae
Action packed but too short, an extra hundred pages would have fleshed it out, and strengthened the world - building and characters. A cliffhanger of sorts as well! 3.75 stars.
Denise
Oct 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, read-2017
Alex McKenna is the new Special Agent in Charge of the Chicago division of the BPI - the Bureau of Paranormal Investigations, tasked with dealing with crimes involving shades, i.e. vampires. With teenagers going missing and a number of federal agents killed, he's got his work cut out for him. The stakes are high right from the start, but Alex has got a very special trick up his sleeve: Rather than just relying on the same old bureau tactics, he decides to bring in an unusual consultant with spec ...more
Jeff
Mar 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fast-paced, action packed reading

This one is awesome. In a really short time, Olson establishes compelling characters, builds enough mythology to keep the plot moving while hinting at a whole world of it beneath the surface, and delivers one hell of a good story. I can't wait to read more of this series. It might be her best work.
Mei
Jun 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little short but a very entertaining Urban Fantasy. Lots of good ideas and a wonderful setting. The only real problem I had was that I never felt like we got enough time with the characters. Still an enjoyable read. I'll certainly check out the second.
John Hamer
Feb 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A bit different...

...From her Old World novels, and a welcome change of lore. Just as skilfully crafted as her other series, with plenty of twists and turns, building to a high octane finale. More great characters, well written with quirks and foibles, but maybe slightly less moral ambiguity than Scarlett or Lex, Jesse or the Old World hierarchy.

If this is your first Melissa Olson book, please please please consider trying her other series, you are sure to love them.
Becky
Jul 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alex McKenna is a legacy agent at the FBI. So when he volunteers to head one of the most disastrous and dangerous units in agency history, his higher ups are sorely tempted to say no. Alex's argument is a convincing one, though, landing him the gig as Special Agent in Charge of the Chicago Bureau of Paranormal Investigations.

Alex has his job cut out for him. Ever since the discovery that vampires are real, efforts at investigating their crimes have resulted in mass casualties. But Alex has a no
Ярослава
Aug 26, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: horror
My Brain Is A Jerk Who Insists That I Should Finish Everything, Even After I Realize That It Gives Me No Joy: A Tragicomedy. Act Umpteenth: me reading Nightshades. I thought, hey, Nightshades has a really cool cover & Tor.com novellas are very reasonably priced, so what do I stand to lose from trying it? A couple hours of my life that I'm not getting back, that's what.

The basic premise is so sensible it's fun: after a vampire-like creature is apprehended in present-day America, the media has
Stacy
Jun 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
I gave it 3.5 stars

NIGHTSHADE introduces a brand new world where vampires aka shades are persona non grata. McKenna is tasked with taking down a group of shades that are killing humans and finds himself working with the beautiful Lindy who just happens to be a shade who wants to help him take them down.

I wish NIGHTSHADE had been longer. It felt too short and lacked a bit of the details I would have liked to see between the pages. One thing NIGHTSHADE didn't lack was action and suspense. Things
  • Ghost Talkers
  • Certain Dark Things
  • A Murder of Mages (The Maradaine Constabulary, #1)
  • Blood of the Earth (Soulwood, #1)
  • City of Wolves
  • Snug Ship
  • A Study in Scarlet Women (Lady Sherlock, #1)
  • The Dream-Quest of Vellitt Boe
  • Traveler (Traveler #1)
  • Behind the Throne (The Indranan War #1)
  • Wicked Ever After (Blud, #4)
  • City of Light (Outcast, #1)
  • Warrior King (Odyssey One, #5)
  • Heroine Complex (Heroine Complex, #1)
  • The Courier (San Angeles, #1)
  • It Happened One Doomsday (Dru Jasper, #1)
  • The Ark (Children of a Dead Earth, #1)
  • Not Your Sidekick (Sidekick Squad, #1)
Melissa Olson was born and raised in Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin, and studied film and literature at the University of Southern California in Los Angeles. After graduation, and a brief stint bouncing around the Hollywood studio system, Melissa landed in Madison, WI, where she eventually acquired a master's degree from UW-Milwaukee, a husband, a mortgage, a teaching gig, two kids, and two comically o ...more
More about Melissa F. Olson

Nightshades (3 books)
  • Switchback (Nightshades, #2)
  • Outbreak (Nightshades, #3)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Son of the Dawn (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Sanctuary (Nomad, #2)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Genome (The Extinction Files #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Wired (Wired, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Bandwidth (An Analog Novel Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sufficiently Advanced Magic (Arcane Ascension, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Bees
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Land: Founding (Chaos Seeds, #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Mists of Avalon (Avalon, #1)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Fool's Assassin (The Fitz and The Fool Trilogy, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
  • Friday
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Dhalgren
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Moon Chosen (Tales of a New World #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Homeworld (Odyssey One, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Recurve (The Elemental Series, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Out of the Black (Odyssey One, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Acacia: The War with the Mein (Acacia, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Menagerie
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Black Bird of the Gallows
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Eighth Grave After Dark (Charley Davidson, #8)
    $8.99 $2.99