Start by marking “The Last Days of Jack Sparks” as Want to Read:
The Last Days of Jack Sparks

The Last Days of Jack Sparks

Jack Sparks died while writing this book.

It was no secret that journalist Jack Sparks had been researching the occult for his new book. No stranger to controversy, he'd already triggered a furious Twitter storm by mocking an exorcism he witnessed.

Then there was that video: forty seconds of chilling footage that Jack repeatedly claimed was not of his making, yet was posted
Published March 3rd 2016 by Orbit

To ask other readers questions about The Last Days of Jack Sparks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Days of Jack Sparks

Liz Barnsley
Warning: It is entirely possible that while reading Jack Sparks you’ll metaphorically die of laughter. Or of fright. Or possibly a mixture of both. But it’ll be worth it. Also keep lots of coffee handy coz this one will keep you up all night. And I am talking AFTER you have read it..

Anyway to the point, I loved this. I read it in a day. Not even a day. A matter of hours. It is utterly gripping and darkly witty to the point that you will laugh out loud and scare anyone in your general vicinity bu
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
 photo 200_zpspzycvwpf.gif

I'm going with 2.5 stars.

The one thing you know on starting this book is that Jack Sparks died after writing it. So that made me curious. The story started off right up my alley.
An Italian exorcism that Jack gets permission to watch for his next book. It goes way different that atheist Jack had expected.
 photo 1479655800_tumblr_lwqmqd2RpC1qfhek7_zps8zaghosy.gif

So he bursts out laughing right at a crucial moment.
 photo inappropriate_zpsygyyfxmm.gif

That garners him some attention that he shrugs off. Then there is that weird you tube video that someone loads up on his account.
 photo cd278ab487be1f66533b0d35fef4b4c5_zpsvixdnvlw.gif

A normal
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
The Last Days of Jack Spark is definitely a very odd book. However, it's not a bit scary. At least I do not think that. I actually found it to be more tragic, a black comedy kind of book, well without much comedy. A book about guilt, life after death and possessions. And, there were moments when I found the book a bit dreary.

However, it also had some really great moments, or rather it ended with a bang. I love that ending, if the rest of the book had felt as good as the ending, then I would hav
Kealan Burke
Sep 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Talk about an unexpected delight. I hadn't heard anything about this book before it was recommended to me, and now it's my favorite read of the year. I won't say anything about the plot other than it's a clever, wickedly funny, multilayered story about possession, ghosts, demons, the devil, faith, ego, spirituality, the afterlife...you name a theological consideration, it's in here. And it's terrifying.
Mogsy (MMOGC)
Sep 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
5 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2016/10/03/...

If you asked me what horror novels I’ve read recently that are 1) creepy, 2) fun to read, and 3) highly addictive, right away I could probably name a few of my favorites including M.R. Carey’s The Girl with All the Gifts as well as Paul Tremblay’s A Head Full of Ghosts. Now I’m happy to have another title to add to my best-of list, and this amazing book’s name is The Last Days of Jack Sparks.

As the first line in the novel’
Paul
Mar 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
What a fun book. I loved that Jack Sparks was such a jerk (and a believable one at that) and a cleverly rendered unreliable narrator. Very good mix of fun and creeps (and, um, I have to admit to being totally spooked one night, when I spent five minutes standing in my bedroom doorway because I thought I heard something downstairs....yeah).

Anyway, great possession fun!
Bill
"This is 50 shades of fucked up."

An exorcist, a possessed girl, a YouTube video, a mystery.

Screaming Mimi’s, bloody puddle face talking, Hollywood Paranormals and "Every time you go away you take a piece of me with you."

Wickedly smart and original. Good time bloody fun with plenty of belly laughs and no shortage of gooseflesh.

Excellent.
Mindi
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A big thank you to my friend Kealan for recommending this one to me. It wasn't on my radar, and I wouldn't have picked it up without him. You rock!

This book is such a creepy delight that I sincerely don't want to spoil a single thing about it. I buddy read this with my friend Emily, and now she's saying it's one of her favorite books of the year. I think I have to agree with her, but I just finished it last night, so my brain is still furiously processing it. Go into this without knowing anythin
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
The Last Days of Jack Sparks is an original, genre-bending, terrifying new novel by Jason Arnopp, a book that defies descriptions and explanations. It follows a very unlikeable journalist and writer as he tries to prove that there’s no such thing as ghost, or any other supernatural entity. Jack sees it as his mission to debunk any claims of supernatural encounters and he’s often very rude as he goes about it.

Jack himself, however, is not to be trusted. With titles like Jack Sparks on Gangs and
Emily
Dec 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"You should ask yourself, Mr. Jack Sparks, what the Devil thinks of you."

Holy hell, I loved this book. I buddy read this one with my friend Mindi, and we both adored it. This one easily made its way onto my favorite reads of the year list.

I'm not going to do an extensive review on this one because you really don't need to know more than what the synopsis tells you & I don't want to ruin anything. This book has everything - it's funny, it's creepy, and the story was completely captivating fo
Lata
Apr 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars. Jack Sparks is a walking synonym for obnoxiously self-obsessed, irritating, callous, arrogant and narcissistic. He's also completely compelling as he narrates his efforts to find material for his latest and third book. Jack is a celebrity who claims to be a journalist, and uses his social media presence to locate subjects for his book, in which he will disprove the supernatural, while constantly posting the latest developments of his "research".
Jack Sparks decides to disprove the supe
Susan
Apr 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jack Sparks is a writer of such volumes as, “Jack Sparks on Drugs,” “Jack Sparks on Gangs,” and now, “Jack Sparks on the Supernatural.” This, we learn almost immediately, was to be his last work as he died while writing it and this book takes us back; using fictional notes from his writing and updates and interviews from his brother, Alistair, to explain what happened to end Jack’s life.

I really like novels which have an unreliable narrator and it is pretty clear, fairly early, that Jack Sparks
Mike (the Paladin)
Sep 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Well...I put this on my "Fantasy" shelf. It may not be an exact fit, but this novel isn't really an exact fit for any of my shelves. With a touch of horror, some mystery and a bit bio-fiction this is a kind mixed bag genre-wise. That said it's a good read.

Did I enjoy the book? I think I have to say the jury is still out on the use of the word "enjoy". I can only say (without giving spoilers) that this is a very well constructed and "interesting" read. I'd suggest you try it if you think you'd li
Basia
Oct 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
THE Pre-Halloween Spooky Read!

Oh wow. What a great book!!! The protagonist is disgusting in the way Patrick Bateman was, although their narcissistic ways comprise most, if not all, of any similarities between these two men.
Jack is enough to bring bile up from the depth of our stomachs in his numerous examples of the many ways in which he is vastly superior to all other people. Yet amazingly, the author somehow gets us to like this guy...to start to relate; to develop a kinship.
Oh, there is so m
Jon Recluse
Jan 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Unexpected, unreliable and unputdownable, this one had me laughing out loud....then glancing over my shoulder at the shadows. Equal parts smart, sarcastic and spooky as Hell.

Highly recommended!
Holly
6 ungodly enjoyable stars!
this is hands down the best horror/suspense novel I have read in years. if not ever.
Jason Arnopp is a badass, and in Jack Sparks he has created the epitome of the character you love to hate.
I only wish I could go back and read it again for the first time.
Bandit
Mar 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A while back I read Arnopp's short story or maybe a novelette about a haunted home of sorts. It was cute, but it certainly didn't prepare me for the awesomeness of this book, a proper length one and well worth the page count. And I know I already used the word awesome, so now I have to think of synonyms to avoid sounding repetitive, but this book...this book was really something. It's been some time since I read something that was effort to put down, though the aforementioned page count makes it ...more
Nicholas Kaufmann
Mar 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
This funny, delightful, and at times truly terrifying horror novel took me completely by surprise. As characters go, Jack Sparks is a wonderful creation, one in a long list of unreliable narrators whose lies slowly unravel over the course of the story. His voice is funny and highly readable, and despite Sparks' numerous faults, it's also shockingly relatable, especially in this self-aggrandizing Internet age, where it sometimes seems the number of your social media followers is more important th ...more
Maryam
Nov 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
I'm not a pro in horror books so reviewing this book is a little difficult. It started fun (ha strange for a horror book in my opinion) and good. I enjoyed the first half a lot. Few moments it got even scary (or maybe beacause I watched As Above,So Below at the same time) and made me turn on all lights at home before going to second floor.

But after page two hundred something it got predictable and boring so much that I had a hard time not skipping pages, I liked the ending and conclusion though.
Chris Berko
Aug 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
A very solid 4.4, can't really justify the fifth star, however the last forty pages were wild and crazy, scary as shit, and fun as hell. Had a whole John Dies at the End thing going on but it worked well and was a very entertaining read. Sometimes I'm reading and the story lines are so mind blowing and Twilight Zone-y and I'm like, goddamn, how is this shit done with words?!?! I saw upon completion that this is being made into a movie, I feel sorry for anyone who only watches that because there ...more
Louise Wilson
Apr 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
In 2014 Jack Sparks died in mysterious circumstances. This is the account of his final days.

Jack, a pop culture journalist, was a fearless rebel. He had been researching the occult for his new book. He had already caused a huge Twitter storm by mocking on a exorcism he had witnessed. There was also a short footage he claims was not his making.

I found this funny and at times terrifying.

I would like to thank Net Galley, Little Brown Book Group UK and the author Jason Arnopp for my ARC in exchange
Ryan Michael
Jan 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
I want to write more about this book once I am less buried in work and life, but needless to say, I loved this book, and it's the first book in years that truly scared me. We are talking sitting in a quiet apartment, reading by my desk, deeply immersed, cat jumping in my lap at the wrong moment and causing me to jump and hit my head on the ceiling type stuff. Very much worth a read if you love funny and scary horror.
Lauren Stoolfire
Oct 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Jack Sparks, the controversial pop culture journalist, died while writing his newest book on the supernatural. He was called many things - from a talentless hack to a fearless rebel - but either way his unexpected death was a shock to everyone. First, he fired up a huge storm on Twitter after mocking an exorcism he witnessed in rural Italy. Then, there was the creepy thirty-six second video posted to his YouTube channel that he swears had nothing to do with him in the least. This book chronicles ...more
Sheila
Apr 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
4 stars--I really liked it.

This demon possession book also has time travel, ghosts, cosmic horror, and humor. Or maybe it has none of those things--perhaps it's merely an exploration of one man's descent into drug addiction. It definitely has a (purposefully) smug, despicable narrator, whose voice I found compelling regardless of his constant bragging and lying.

It's gruesome, fun to read (despite the exasperating narrator), and occasionally spooky. I liked how all the strange puzzle pieces of th
Bonnie
The Last Days of Jack Sparks is about, well, the last days of Jack Sparks. While researching the occult for his most recent book, he had some mysterious incidents that even he couldn’t explain away. See, even though he was researching the occult, he was actually a professed non-believer of it all and sought to discredit everyone. He attended an actual exorcism and laughed at the experience and then there was the mysterious video that was added onto his personal YouTube channel showing possible p ...more
Elle's Book Blog
Release Date: March 3, 2016
Genre: Horror - Supernatural
Actual Rating: 4 stars

I can't put into words what a mind f*ck this book is. Especially the last 100 pages of the book. Yikes! You just feel this sense of dread and chills begin to break out on your skin. AH! Quite freaky if you ask me! The Last Days of Jack Sparks is one of those novels where the synopsis doesn't even begin to prepare you for what you will be reading. Sure, the synopsis breaks it down and gives you an idea as to what t
AH
This is a DNF (did not finish) review.

Perhaps it was my mood but I just could not get into this book. It has potential. I tried to get back into it and I may read it later on, but right now it's a no-go for me.

Thank you to NetGalley and Orbit Books for a review copy of this book.
Tracy Fenton
Jun 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hmmmm….. so there I was stalking some of my favourite authors on Twitter when I see one of them raving about Jason Arnopp’s new book Ghoster which is coming out end of October 2019 and suffering from FOMO I decided to look up his previous work and somehow The Last Days of Jack Sparks magically appeared on my kindle and it seemed rude not to start reading it immediately.

I didn’t really know what to expect as the blurb is a little bit brief so I started reading with an open mind. WTAF… this book i
Tess Taylor
2.5- Jack Sparks is an drug-addicted prick, and a famous journalist to boot. He is writing a book on the supernatural, even though he's an active non-believer. But then some spooky things start happening to him while working with a team of paranormal investigators in LA.

From there, I’m not even sure what I read, but whatever it was I didn’t love it. I just couldn’t get into this book’s shenanigans. There's unexplained time travel, floating demon heads, and exploding bodies. I’m a huge horror ne
Ruiner
Sep 19, 2016 rated it liked it

A fun little supernatural read.

It took reading over half of the book before I became interested. In fact I had almost given up on it due to the unlikable characters and slow start but after reading all the reviews I had to see what was going to happen. The characters were unlikable for good reason and the pacing picks up in the second half. The first half starts becomes more important later in the story which ultimately makes it worth it due to our unreliable narrator.

The humor was sm

• The Caretaker of Lorne Field
  • Suspended In Dusk
  • The Shadow of the Soul (The Dog-Faced Gods, #2)
  • The Murders of Molly Southbourne (Molly Southbourne, #1)
  • Hammers on Bone (Persons Non Grata, #1)
  • In the Valley of the Sun
  • We Should Have Left Well Enough Alone
  • The Brotherhood of the Wheel (Brotherhood of the Wheel, #1)
  • The Family Plot
  • Harvest of Scorn (The Colony #3)
  • The Lesser Dead
  • The Graveyard Apartment
  • Children of Lovecraft
  • The Fisherman
  • Widow's Point
  • Manchester House
  • Carter & Lovecraft (Carter & Lovecraft, #1)
  • Pretty Marys All in a Row
Jason Arnopp is the author of the upcoming chiller-thriller novel Ghoster, The Last Days Of Jack Sparks (Orbit Books) and the co-author of Inside Black Mirror with Charlie Brooker and Annabel Jones.

Arnopp wrote the Lionsgate horror feature film Stormhouse, the New Line Cinema novel Friday The 13th: Hate-Kill-Repeat, various official Doctor Who works of fiction (including the BBC audiobook Doctor W
“If we devoted as much effort to investigating the dead as we do to building the weapons that make them dead, we’d know a lot more about life after death.” “Dead” 3 likes
“My jeans remain unsoiled. My heebies are jeebie-less. There are no willies up me.” 1 likes