Start by marking “Listening to God” as Want to Read:
Listening to God

Listening to God

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  77 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
When we seek his voice, God is far from silent. In this profound spiritual testimony, Joyce Huggett draws on many years’ experience of prayerfully listening to God to offer practical guidance and advice for anyone seeking a new dimension of prayer. Offering encouragement to start out on the journey, she tackles common difficulties honestly, and points towards a thrilling n ...more
Published October 1st 2006 by Hodder & Stoughton (first published May 1st 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Listening to God, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Listening to God

Mar 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian
Although this is a book on contemplative prayer, there is plenty in it to appeal to those of us who just want to learn more about Listening to God, but are not called to contemplation. The book follows Joyce Hugget's journey from her first calling to contemplative prayer, through her trials and tribulations, to where she was at the time of publication. It covers suggestions for how to set up a prayer room, different ways of moving into prayer, positions for praying, types of bible reading, and s ...more
Nov 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An awesome book - I've read it a chapter a week to help me to digest the content. Joyce writes very honestly about how she developed her listening skills - and the benefits and problems she encountered. I've been trying to use some of her ideas and it's fab! Seeing God in the natural world (rather than simply enjoying it as something God has made) is a relevation and the picture of God wanting to provide for all the areas of my life, like the veins on a leaf will stay with me.
Dec 06, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: christian-life
This was a well-written and well-crafted book - it simply wasn't what I was looking for. This is a personal narrative about one person's journey into prayer. If, when considering the idea of having a deeply intimate prayer life, you become full of despair or consider it out of reach, this IS a book for you. Huggett brings the reader into her story and weaves Scripture throughout to give authority to her experiences.
Frank Peters
Jul 02, 2011 rated it liked it
The majority of the book is excellent (assuming you are interested in listening to God). It is written in a way that implies that everyone can have the same experiences as the author. Later in the book she discusses that this is not the case, however I still found that the book often made me feel inadequate and depressed rather than encouraged to pursue God.
Kelly Smeeton
An absolute must-read for every Christian. It is full of helpful tips and she was refreshingly honest about how she has struggled with listening prayer. Helped me to understand too that I am a thinking extrovert and that different people will pray in different ways. Highly recommend.
Stephen  Moore
Jan 29, 2017 rated it it was ok
Not so sure about this one tbh
Feb 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Very informative.
Feb 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religious
A great introduction to the art of listening prayer, and something to refer to again and again on the journey.
Meirav Berale