Start by marking “When We Were Dancing (The Wolf of Oberhame, #2)” as Want to Read:
When We Were Dancing (The Wolf of Oberhame, #2)

When We Were Dancing

(The Wolf of Oberhame #2)

They called her the Gladiator Queen, the first female heir to the throne of Norihame. Leyli never wanted this, but her cousin's scheming left no other option. He'd killed her brother, trying to claim the throne for himself, and sold her off to be a gladiator, hoping to get rid of her. It didn't work. Now, she'll do whatever it takes to make sure Palino can't destroy the co ...more
Kindle Edition
Published February 12th 2016 by Spotted Horse Productions

To ask other readers questions about When We Were Dancing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When We Were Dancing

Mara
Aug 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, romance
3 1/2
Like the first, it has that touch of convenience that made it difficult to believe. In the first book we have she a royal princess that, on waking up in an arena after her brother had been murdered in front of her and her kidnapping, succeed in surviving death in the arena (through cunning, not sheer luck), here it's the wedding resolution. Really too perfectly easy.
But this is a minor nit in a solid (and more) 3 star read.
If you are into fantasy romance give it a try.
Dr. Shaz
Aug 27, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: ugh-don-t-bother
50% DNF

This series started out with so much promise.

The first book was all

and Leyli became a kick ass female gladiator

So I expected this book to continue with a lot more action and Leyli poised to exact her revenge on her Cousin. Instead what I got was this:

Leyli: I'm still a virgin, I want you Tristan to be my first, but I still need to marry someone else after
Tristan: No I can't sleep with you, because you need to marry someone else
Cue relationship angst

Leyli: But I want you Tristan, Oh... m
Linda
Nov 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
We have mostly the same likeable characters from the first book, but nothing much happens in this one until the end. Instead, we get hundreds of pages of relationship angst with a little minor intrigue, making for a tedious read.
Cassie Cassidy
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018, 2-stars
Ok, so in my review of the first book, I pointed out that the book was enjoyable if you were able to overlook many ridiculous things. In this book, it is simply impossible to overlook the ridiculousness. It’s everywhere. It’s way too much. And oh my goodness, but it made me want to throw my kindle through the wall.
Katrina
Aug 23, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 *

Ok, I admit that some situations in this book a bit tooo conveniently resolved and a tad too far-fetched to be believable , but it is still fun and entertaining read. And since things are really revving - up, the next books would be highly appreciated . Me like a lot.
Natalia
Aug 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
And this serie keep on giving, such a great book!

Tristan and Ley are amazing! All the character that surrounds them are great also.

Don't want to spoil the story...
Michele C
Jun 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Immediately after I finished the first story in this trilogy, I grabbed this one. I've put 2015 on for the time I started and finished each of these but I honestly don't remember if it was last year or this year that I first discovered this author. I've re-read the two books available in this trilogy multiple times and I enjoy them each time I do. The characters grow and develop and are just fun to read about. I am looking forward to (and dreading a little) the conclusion to this line of stories ...more
Kayla Pipkin
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Why did it take me so long to read this series?!
I am absolutely loving it.
Words...I have no words to tell you how much I enjoyed this.
How much I think you should read this.
Just go read it.
Catherine Bennett
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Holy Moly!!!!!!

Wow!! Yet another great read by one of my favorite authors! In this installment of The Wolf of Oberhame, Leyli reminds everyone that being a Princess doesn’t stop her from being The Wolf. Leyli, Tristen, and their trusted guards set out to find Lelyi a husband. She must find a husband and produce an heir to secure her throne and the line of succession to ensure that her evil cousin never gets his hands on the Crown. Watching this story unfold, in the amazing world that Auryn Hadl
Debbie
Apr 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Book 2, just as good as book one...... possibly better. Leyli is back in the palace, with her Lion firmly at her back, the king is gracious but it is obvious the Wolf cannot marry the Lion as he holds no title.

Her cousin Palino tries numerous times to gain the crown (the guy is seriously up himself) before he finally gets something he really wasn't expecting.

Leyli makes her decision on who her groom will be, at the same time the decision is made that she will marry Connell because his colouring
Kristina
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A sequel just as good as the first.

Court intrigue and games of high stakes wits, this second book continues Leyli’s, the Wolf of Obethame and the Queen of the Gladiators, story as she and Tristan, the Lion, forge their way as best they can.
I absolutely adore that while nontraditional, Leyli and Tristan’s loyalty and love stays true to each other as Leyli prepares to rule for the betterment of her people in the best way she can.
The strong cast of characters from book one continue their journey
Sivakhami Sivanesan
Jun 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another brilliant boo in a compelling trilogy

Amazing story telling and characters you can get behind. I'd waited a whole before starting this book, thinking it was the final story of the lion and the wolf. Really glad i waited, as i then got an email after starting, stating that the final book in the trilogy was out!
So i won't have to wait at all to find out what happens next.
Give the sample a try to see if you like Ms Hadley's work- If you like the sample, i can guarantee you'll love the rest
Jeri L. Moseley
Mar 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So when's the next book?

I'm in love with this story! I loved the concept of a princess turned gladiator, but the reality of Leyli was so much better than I had anticipated. I also enjoyed how Auryn gave the secondary character depth and personality. It was fascinating to watch Leyli's transformation in this book and to see her earn her crown. I'm hopeful for a third installment of the series.
Lucas Mattila
Oct 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
Steep fall off in quality overall. The series looked like it could be great, but the first half of this book was badly written and had a lot of forced tension. It could've made up for its mistakes with its interesting character additions, but instead they just turned homosexuality into a deus ex machina for their characters to get together instead of forcing them to make touch choices, which would've been far more interesting.
Teneka Harmon
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great story teller

I'm so impressed with this author's ability to tell a story . I love the detail in history whether it be fiction or nonfiction behind every decision or circumstance of the story . I absolutely love the relationship development between all the characters. While the story didn't have the desperation of the first in the series , it clearly can hold up on its own as its own story .
Tonya Bright
May 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Perfect

I just want to say these books are amazing, they will drag you in and never let go. Now I'm stuck waiting 😢. But honestly I couldn't put these books down please don't stop, there aren't many authors that can drag me in and I loved every minute of it. It just sucks that I read them so fast, but will be re reading them. They are going to become a permanent part of my library.
Becca
Aug 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Squishy middle ground

While still an amazing story and middle ground for a multibook set, When We Were Dancing felt a bit repetitive for the first 3/4 of the book, along with the Princess being unbelievably naive (literally and annoyingly so).
Everything picked back up towards the end of the book, living up to the reputation of the first book.
Heather
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
I like it a lot, but not quite as much as the first. Most of the plot line felt too smooth, too easy for the heroine, but the big challenge at the end was great and made up for most of the ease in the rest of the story. It was well written and very engaging. I had some moral dilemma with a little of the content, but even that was done well enough that it wasn’t offensive. A very good read.
T.
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is such a wonderful series with great primary and secondary characters. Strong plot, great protagonists--a few plot holes, such as sealed water bottles, which didn't fit with the worldbuilding--but excellent pacing and fight scenes. Heading straight into book three. Highly recommend anything by this author, she has a talent for storytelling.
McKenzie Kirby
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow

This book is long, but so worth the read. It’s told mainly from the main female MC’s POV, but the transitions to others are natural and not confusing. They add a lot of depth. The female MC is badass. All the men around her are so great and the love story between the wolf and the lion is aww worthy and so real. Read this book. You won’t regret it.
Katie R
Oct 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
O.m.g!!!

This was amazing. Happy, annoyed, frustrated, and giddy all at the same time! I love Leyli and Tristan, and her group of friends( gladiator or not). And Tristan’s sister is hilarious!!! It seems like a happy ending but I’m happy that there is more... hopefully there will be a very pregnant Wolf in the next book!
Christina Hadley
Aug 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Better than the first

The first book almost felt like a stand alone, but Auryn did a great job continuing the storyline and creating an even more alluring plot. There is more than just a love story. A lot of character growth and who doesn’t love a story of misfits finding each other to create something great!
Misty
Jan 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The BEST story telling

This author does some of the BEST story telling I've come across in a long time. Even think this isn't the end of the series, it had a perfect ending with no cliffhanger.

It was a beautiful romance too with the wolf and Lion finding a way to pledge themselves to one another. Loved it!!
Chelsey Nixon
Jun 18, 2018 rated it liked it
#SpoilerWarrior

It’s always hard for the second book in a series when the first book is so good. I just feel like this book fell short. The conversations felt repetitive. Sometimes i feel like i got too lost within bad dialogue. I’m honestly considering not reading the third book, just because the first one was that good and I don’t want my memory of it any further tainted.
Davida
Oct 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
OMG!! Great Book!!

This book was action packed and engaging. I absolutely love strong female leads and this lead it strong. The male lead is also strong. The development of the word it great. I am looking forward to the next book in the series.
John D. Chappell
Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Good read.

The only thing I object to is that she used modern words for that time period. For example, it wouldn't seem that they would even know the word for two men sleeping together. I didn't say the word but you get my drift.
Rebecca
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another great story

Once again, the author surprised me but not following the standard storyline. Good editing, well written characters, and a fast plot meant a very enjoyable sequel. I'm really looking forward to the next book to see what happens next for these characters.
Tiffany Barrentine
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Love this author

This book was wonderful and I can't wait for the next. This authors writing is some of the best I've read in a long time. I love this story of gladiators and their queen.
Laura Duval
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great installment To The Serie

Solid ratings.
This was a great installment to the series with plenty of twists mixed in. You get politics, gladiators, lots of action, romance and a fierce Queen 👑.
Lisa
Mar 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
The storyline made me cry and think of romance. I immediately read the second book and fell in love. Unfortunately the author had not written the third book which had me back to tears again. So I am left periodically checking to see if it has been published because the story will not leave me.
  • Tracing Shadows (Scout, #1)
  • The Academy (The Seven Kingdoms #2)
  • The Tides of Bára (Sorcerous Moons, #3)
  • West (Roam #5.5)
  • Triumph (The TriAlpha Chronicles Book 4)
  • Russian Roulette (Helena Hawthorn Series #1)
  • Fate of the Fallen (The Lost Royals Saga #5)
  • Into The Green (The Green #1)
  • Dirty Talk (Bluefield Bad Boys, #2)
  • The Reluctant Lord (Dragon Lords, #7)
  • Of Gods and Wolves (The Godhunter, #2)
  • The Lord of the Clans
  • Protector of Midnight (Chronicles of Midnight, #1)

The Wolf of Oberhame (3 books)
  • When We Were Kings (The Wolf of Oberhame, #1)
  • When We Were Crowned (The Wolf of Oberhame #3)