Start by marking “Be the Boss Everyone Wants to Work for: A Guide for New Leaders” as Want to Read:
Be the Boss Everyone Wants to Work for: A Guide for New Leaders

Be the Boss Everyone Wants to Work for: A Guide for New Leaders

Becoming a leader for the first time is one of the biggest and most stressful psychological and emotional shifts you will ever experience. You're suddenly given an important job that has almost nothing in common with what you've been trained to do. It's as though, at the age of sixteen, your parents said “You ride a bike so well you might as well take the car” and handed y ...more
Published August 29th 2016 by Berrett-Koehler Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Be the Boss Everyone Wants to Work for, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Be the Boss Everyone Wants to Work for

Start your review of Be the Boss Everyone Wants to Work for: A Guide for New Leaders
Kari Olfert
May 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Be the Boss Everyone wants to work for, should have been called 'Flip your Script. Waking up the new leader within.' I didn't learn more than I already knew about leadership and I didn't see a supporting case for 'being the boss everyone wants to work for'. They did however provide guidelines for recreating the leader you are now using awareness and reverse ism of your current tactics. Could have been a lot shorter. I didn't love it.
Katy
Jul 07, 2019 added it
Shelves: 2019
Full of great advice but the title of the book was repeated easily 500 times in this book.
Michael
Sep 12, 2020 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Managers, business students, young professionals
Recommended to Michael by: Brene Brown
Shelves: self-help
While this particular example of business self-help did not manage to win me over completely, it did get somewhat better as it went along. Among its problems are redundancy, over-stating the obvious, and reliance on jargon that obfuscates, rather than elucidates, its subject. In other words, par for the course for any book on “management.”

In the last couple of chapters, however, things pick up a bit. The author still tries to stick to the rather over-strained metaphor of “flipping your script” (
Jacob O'connor
Dec 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read quite a bit. Definitely a good thing, but it comes with a downside. I'm always at an experience deficit. By that I mean I always have ideas and theories that have never been road tested. I'm more book smart than street wise. It's inevitable because I'm always taking in more information than I can possibly validate. Case in point, Gentry's thesis is that the successful manager needs to be more concerned with her team than she is with herself. "Flip the script from 'me' to 'we'". I might ha ...more
Stephanie Sims Sims
Mar 29, 2020 rated it it was ok
Some of the core ideas resonated with me like switching from “me” to “we” and communicating with others the way they prefer.

But the writing was repetitive and he used his favorite phrase, “Flip your script” so frequently that it became grating.
Sean Patterson
Oct 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
A simple, solid, and great book. I gained lots of practical advise I was able to immediately apply to my role as a leader.
Joseph Mariña
Mar 23, 2018 rated it liked it
A bit repetitive and the phrases "flip your script " and "flip your focus" are visible through my eyelids when I blink. That said some good insights around transitioning into formal leadership are offered, and I appreciated the data driven approach to determining what matters most in leadership.
Riti
Dec 04, 2019 rated it liked it
It is always interesting to read views on leadership skills, not just because one may be in a leadership position but because it helps to think like a manager, think in other's shoes and most importantly empathise. Whether one holds a position that is called a boss, it is important to learn the important skills that make one an influencer, leader and thereby arrive at a win-win solution - be part of the solution rather than the problem.

The book summarises the thoughts and teachings in 8 sections
Selena
May 20, 2019 rated it did not like it
The writing style made it difficult to get through. I think the author was trying to sound "hip" and relatable but just came across as a dork. It was also very repetitive which makes me wonder what happened to the editor.

The content is nothing new or revolutionary. He used his own research as a basis for several points but did not dwell or expand on that data very much; if he had, it would have been more unique (there are so many management books out there, so you have to ask - What sets this on
Tia Robinson
Sep 30, 2018 rated it liked it
The actual message was good, but could have been condensed into a couple really good blogs/articles.
Also - if they had an editor - the editor should be tar and feathered. There is absolutely NO REASON why the phrase “flip your script” was needed 7,369 times in a book that is less than 200 pages. It was painful!
Timothy Koller
This is a helpful resource to skim if you've never managed direct reports before. It also does provide citations for good research.
But the format of the book is not engaging. I read the first few chapters and grew frustrated at the stories attempting to illustrate the point. 33% of the content could be eliminated and it would strengthen the book, in my opinion.
Kate
Feb 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio-book
Being in a new leadership role, this book was easy to read/listen to and get some good guidance and advice. Their advice is research-based and I liked the personal examples the author threw in as well. You only get one chance at a first impression, so arming yourself with some good practices and knowledge is key. I'm sure I will reference this book again as my career develops and issues arise.
Tyler Williams
May 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book was excellent! I wish I had read this book years ago! Should be required reading for everyone stepping from a position on a team into a new role leading others. It does a great job of helping you to “flip your script” of how you think about how to do things differently now that your responsibility is for others and not just about taking care of yourself. Highly recommend.
botanyh
Mar 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Systematic and applicable approaches for new leaders to flip the script

Very systematic. After I close the book,I can connect the content of each chapter. And I found the answer I had in the past months being a new leader.
Katrinak
Sep 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
A helpful book filled with practical, well-researched and proven advice.
Heidi McGuire
May 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Really sound advice and tips for a new leader. Will reference many of the ideas as needed. I particularly liked the section around understanding what movitates people.
Melanie
Oct 05, 2016 rated it liked it
I think this book is hampered by an unappealing title and not great cover art. The inside text is worthwhile. It offers a great way of reframing the job of managing people for new leaders who are in the job for the first time. I found many of the insights, especially that the strategies that have made you successful in your career up to now may no longer serve you well as a manager, to be good ones.

I do think some of the difficult parts of managing people are not served well in this book. The bo
Sue
Nov 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I received this book from Good Reads.

Although I am now retired, I found this book to be an entertaining read. I think it would be helpful for first time managers as well as people who have managed people for years. I suspect it could also be a college textbook.

It was funny and informative.
Susan Csoke
Jan 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Be The Boss>>is a hands on book about leadership and being a manager. Humerous and compassionate!!!!! THANK YOU GOOD READS FIRST READS FOR THIS FREE BOOK!!!!! ...more
Vince Holland
May 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good read. Geared toward new leaders. Chapter 7 on Flip Your Focus was my favorite chapter!
Mike Stewart
Deina
Feb 15, 2019

• Dare to Lead
  • Presence: Bringing Your Boldest Self to Your Biggest Challenges
  • The Chimp Paradox: The Acclaimed Mind Management Programme to Help You Achieve Success, Confidence and Happiness
  • The Dance of Intimacy: A Woman's Guide to Courageous Acts of Change in Key Relationships
  • In the Dream House: A Memoir
  • Over the Top: A Raw Journey to Self-Love
  • La Panthère des neiges
  • L'été des charognes
  • Apocalypse bébé
  • Your Own Kind of Girl
  • The Infinite Game
  • Postscript (P.S. I Love You, #2)
  • The End is Always Near: Apocalyptic Moments, from the Bronze Age Collapse to Nuclear Near Misses
  • When Less Becomes More: Making Space for Slow, Simple, and Good
  • Focus: The Hidden Driver of Excellence
  • The Lady's Guide to Celestial Mechanics (Feminine Pursuits, #1)
  • Indistractable: How to Control Your Attention and Choose Your Life