Start by marking “The Time Key” as Want to Read:
The Time Key

The Time Key

As Stanley got closer, he saw two figures beating on a lone man, while four others stood back to watch. “Hey!” Stanley’s voice sounded hoarse in his ears. “Leave him be!”

SHADOWS THAT MOVE ON THEIR own, a mysterious device that looks like a pocket watch, a man on the run from monsters that exist in dreams—all are connected to Stanley because he interrupted a mugging. Now S
Published June 14th 2016 by Sweetwater Books (first published May 2016)

To ask other readers questions about The Time Key, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Time Key

Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
I enjoyed Melanie Bateman's story on time travel. The story is fresh and full of interesting characters. Many of them are not human.

The story his told as a narrative. The narrator sometimes gets ahead of him/her self and has to remember to get back to the story instead of skipping ahead. In some ways the style reminded me of "A Series of Unfortunate Events". I thought it worked well and was a great way to tell the story.

Stanley is a widower who has spent the past six years drinking. He wants to
Melanie
Jul 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Six years ago, Stanley Becker lost his wife and daughter in an accident and his grief has consumed him. On a cold December night in 1897, he is ready to give in to the darkness. Instead, he ends up saving a man's life and gaining possession of a time key. He is quickly filled with the desire to go back and fix the fateful night that changed everything.

This is a complex book. There are multiple characters and stories and I was curious as to how it would all come together. The characters were inte
Sydney
A magical and captivating story of time travel and mystical creatures. This is a story that will pull you into the adventure from page one and tug you along and keep you there until the very beginning. Common themes in the story deal with family, redemption, and sacrifice. Melanie Bateman has written a fun, riveting, and thrilling adventure and time travel story that readers will absolutely not want to miss.

Genre: science fiction, fantasy, time travel
Publisher: Sweetwater Books, an imprint of Ce
Mandy Al-Bjaly
Jun 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wow! The Time Key by Melanie Batemen was absolutely brilliant! I have read many books for blog tours, and have given several 5 star reviews, but most of those books did not have the same caliber of story line, character development, and perfect mixture of period, mystery, science-fiction, and fantasy. I can only imagine how much time it took this first-time author to perfect her story, filling in all the holes she wished to fill, and keeping the reader completely mesmerized the entire 312 pages. ...more
Constance Roberts
Jun 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I have to say this book was partially a cover buy. I love historical fiction, but the cover sealed the deal. In a way, I thought this story set in late 1800s London would fill my "Downton Abbey" void, but The Time Key was so surprising and took me in so many directions I did not expect. Not only is it historical fiction, but also a time traveling fantasy enriched with a wide spectrum of characters and emotional depth.

I don't like books that pull out all the stops to try to make me cry. But The T
Christy
Jun 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
As soon as I read the synopsis of The Time Key, I knew it would be a book I would enjoy reading. What I didn’t realize was how much I would love it! Sometimes when there is a book by a newer author, one you’ve never heard of, you can be a bit leery thinking.”How good will this book be?”.
The Time Key was GREAT! I just cannot explain how blow away I was by this book. It’s not just a book about time travel, though time travel does play a big part. What I really felt in this book was hope. When the
Jodi Woody
Jun 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It was a touching story of one mans search for redemption. The characters are fleshed out and the story is well written. There is the whole time traveling aspect, as well as some characters from other dimensions, some are sweet and others are not. I give it five stars. There is no swearing or sexual content, there is some mild violence. Suited for teens and up. I will be looking for more from this author. I was given a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Shari
Jun 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What an incredible and unique book! If you're looking for a deep, complex, and well-written time travel adventure that delves into themes of redemption, perspective and sacrifice, look no further. THE TIME KEY by Melanie Bateman is a little bit of a sci-fi/fantasy version of, "It's a Wonderful Life" mixed with a touch of Neil Gaiman's voice to me. Plus, she also illustrates her story throughout which is a delight. I'd recommend this for teens on up. It's definitely worth checking out!
Haylee Frohlich
Jun 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Time travel is a popular genre, but The Time Key gives us a fresh take on an oldie-but-goodie. The opening scene is riveting, and the ending is the very best part!
Nicole
May 14, 2016 rated it it was ok
I really wanted to like this book. And I really did like aspects of it. But overall it wasn’t as fulfilling of a read as I had hoped. It does have an interesting plot and the writer’s voice is refreshing and intelligent. The first chapter was fabulous! I was hooked by the mysterious narrator and the strange events that prevented Stanley Becker from taking his own life. My desire to learn the secrets that were introduced in the first few chapters kept me interested enough to read to the end.

The d
Abby
Jun 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
I received a digital copy of The Time Key from Cedar Fort Publishing in exchange for my honest review.

I felt that The Time Key was a beautiful, complex story full of heart and plot twists. I was very impressed with this book, especially since it is Melanie Bateman’s debut novel. From the very beginning it catches your interest, especially since the narrator’s charismatic, poetic voice is storytelling at its best. This beautifully crafted novel just keeps getting more and more interesting as it g
Toni Shiloh
Jul 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Ms. Bateman brings up the questions of is it worth it to change time? Can we and if we do, will fate just ensure the end result happens?

More than that, I think it's a story of a man who needs to find his purpose after tragedy has impacted his life. Can he rise above and answer the call to be a better man? These questions slowly reveal themselves until the reader feels the need to find out if Stanley can save his family.

*I received a free copy via SLB tours in exchange for an honest review.
** F
Celeste
Jun 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was such a great book! I was sucked in on page one and had a hard time putting it down when responsibility came. There were new twists at every turn and her words let my imagination draw great pictures. I would recommend this book to young and old.
Sara
Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
I was hoping for a fun time-travel, sci-fi novel. Not what I got. This is a rather dark story, time-travel combined with fairy-tale-ish elements. And some quirks in syntax, with modifying phrases at the end of sentences, even when modifying subjects at the beginning of the sentence. Just didn't enjoy this one.
Rayleigh
Nov 17, 2016 rated it liked it
I received this book from the author/publisher for the purpose of this review. All comments and opinions are entirely my own.

The Time Key takes a bit of a twist on the usual time traveling stories, where instead of a time machine, we follow the main character with his ever handy time key.

Though the storyline is enjoyable and well thought out, it progresses so slowly that I felt like I was never getting any further into the story, that with every chapter I had more questions than answers and the
Paula Ratcliffe
Jessilyn Peaslee
Nov 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved the characters, the narration, and the beautiful illustrations. This was the first book I read in this genre and it challenged me and opened my eyes. I had so many questions as I read, and they were all answered. Some I had to wait for until the very last page, but they were worth the wait!
Shauna
Jul 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Time travel intrigues me and this book does a wonderful spin on what could happen if one could truly travel in time. Includes a lot of suspense and a little fantasy too.
Keisha
rated it it was ok
Sep 19, 2018
Jennie
Jan 30, 2018

• Penumbras (Middle School Magic, #2)
  • To Suit a Suitor
  • A Holiday Miracle in Apple Blossom
  • Emma: A Latter-Day Tale
  • The Final Vow (Living History Museum, #3)
  • Raisin the Dead (Bread & Batter Mystery, #2)
  • Fatal Fairies (A Renaissance Faire Mystery #8)
  • A Far Gone Night (Thomas O'Shea Mystery, #2)
  • A Vintage Death (Keepsake Cove Mystery, #2)
  • Knock on Wood (Superstition Mystery, #2)
  • Blüd and Magick
  • Think Murder
  • Set the Night on Fire (Cottonbloom, #6)
  • Thread Herrings (Mainely Needlepoint, #7)
  • Back Stabbers (The Country Club Murders, #8)
  • Murder in the Arboretum (Cold Creek #2)
  • Death of a Wolfman (Lily Gayle Lambert, #1)
  • A Whole Latte Murder (A Java Jive Mystery, #3)
Melanie Bateman is a freelance illustrator whose passion for nature and pretty pictures will sometimes translate into written stories. When she isn’t daydreaming, she enjoys being a mom.