Start by marking “The Cabin” as Want to Read:
The Cabin

The Cabin

3.61  ·  Rating details ·  6,560 ratings  ·  1,049 reviews
There may only be one killer, but no one is innocent.

When Mackenzie treks to a secluded cabin in the woods with six friends, she expects a fun weekend of partying, drinking, and hookups. But when they wake to find two of their own dead and covered in blood, it's clear there's a killer among them.

As the police try to unravel the case, Mackenzie launches her own investigatio
Published September 6th 2016 by Sourcebooks Fire

To ask other readers questions about The Cabin, please sign up.
Haley Not that I know of but I hope so! The ending could have been better or she could have done a prologue of like a year later to show us what happened.

·  6,560 ratings  ·  1,049 reviews

Julie
Feb 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018
This one wasn't for me. Not a great book to begin with, but the ending made the whole endeavor feel like a waste of time.

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
They think they're invincible.
They think they can do and say whatever they want.
They think there are no consequences.
They've left me no choice.
It's time for them to pay for their sins.

From that prologue and the blurb, I thought I was going to love this book. It sounded like a B scary movie and I love those. As most of my friends on goodreads know, I very rarely 1 star a book, some 2 stars, but I always try to pick books I think I will like, but I missed the mark on this one.

I liked a couple o
Erin
Jun 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kobo
I really liked Natasha Preston's "The Cellar", but this book was just an o.k read. Neither the murder mystery, the characters, or even the romance angle made this very memorable.
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to SOURCEBOOKS Fire and NetGalley.)

“They’re dead. They’re dead! No, no, no, no!”

This was a YA mystery story, in which 2 teens were murdered in a cabin in the woods.

Mackenzie was an okay character, and I could understand why she didn’t want to believe that one of her friends was capable of murder. She did stand up and try and find the murderer herself though, even if she did put herself in danger becaus
Stacee
May 27, 2016 rated it did not like it
DNF at 40%

I loved the premise of this and was so eager to get to it. Sadly I was annoyed by the characters right from the beginning.

Mackenzie could be a decent MC. She's loyal and positive and actively tries to see the good side to things. She is also wildly dramatic and her inner monologue was a hot mess. There are several other characters, but in the amount I read, none of them stood out to me.

The idea of waking up to a murder in a locked house is 1000% up my alley. To be completely honest, as
Melanie (TBR and Beyond)

Could this be one of the worst books I've ever read? Yes, yes I think it may be in that slim pile of books that managed to offend and anger me just about every step of the way. RANT REVIEW incoming because oh boy, this one was a doozy. Mild spoilers ahead.

TRIGGER WARNINGS: Slut Shaming (mostly unchallenged), Sexism (unchallenged), Sexual Assault (Not only unchallenged but is never called
Inge
Jul 28, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult

This review is a little blah because there's not much to say about this book. The Cabin wasn't anything special. It didn't add anything new. The characters weren't particularly intriguing, and the murder motive was less than believable. The premise sounded a lot more exciting than the execution turned out to be. Nevertheless, it was still a quick read, and I truly believe the author when she says it was fun to write. I kept reading because I wanted to know who'd done the killing and why
L.P. Logan
Jul 29, 2016 rated it did not like it

Just No.
[image error]

This book is all about teenagers drinking, killing people, doing drugs, and killing people . . . . and then after all of that drinking some more, having sex, wasting breath and brain cells having absolutely thoughtless conversations, drinking some more . . . . and then expecting there to be no consequences.

I HATED this book. I hated what it portrayed. I loathed what it represented. I DESPISE what it is trying to push to the recommended age of 14+.

DON'T Drink! Don't Do Dru
Morris
Oct 30, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016-reviews
“The Cabin” was a solid four-star thriller up until the very end. That doesn’t stop it from being enjoyable in a B horror movie sort of way.

The characters are the stereotypical mix that you come to expect from horror movies and fun, fast reading thrillers. There were some plot surprises and enough creepy things to give you some chills. Just. The ending. I can’t quite forgive that one.

Overall, “The Cabin” is a fun read for the Halloween season or any other time you’re feeling like a fun and breez
Maryanne
Sep 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book.... Wow I can't even describe it...

So amazing and beautiful!!!! I loved it so much!!!!
Brandy
Jan 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
A weekend with friends turns deadly! ❤ 4.5 stars ...more
Frank Phillips
Aug 02, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 surprising stars for this little gem!! I don't know what it was about this novel but I went in with very low expectations thinking it would be more of a ya level low thrills type of Reed. I was pleasantly surprised! There were two twists at the end that I one saw coming the second one did not see coming at all which added to my enjoyment. I would give this one a shot if you enjoy mysteries and suspense I think you'll be pleasantly surprised!
Maia Moore
Jul 28, 2016 rated it it was ok
* I was given a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review *

I loved the description of this on NetGalley. It reminded me of a Christopher Pike book I loved when I was a teen, so I was ready for a good murder mystery.

Before I was 10% in I was pretty fed up already. The whole book is a mess of showing rather than telling, especially for personality traits. Mackenzie constantly tells us her friend is over protective, or prone to rage etc, and nothing about them is ever shown. It really grat
Elle's Book Blog
Release Date: September 6, 2016
Genre: Young Adult Thriller/Suspense

:: 3.5 Pretty Little Stars ::

This was a good book. Nothing spectacular, but still interesting none the less. I found the plot to be a bit unbelievable and the characters were hard to connect with but the story is extremely fast paced and super mysterious.

When I first saw that Natasha Preston was writing another book I knew I had to grab a copy because I really liked the Cellar. But this one fell a bit flat. I think it's be
Rissa
Mar 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
The book started off being a typical love story and you think you know how the story will play out. But keep reading because soon after you think you know whats going to happen, two people are murdered in the cabin.
It kept me wondering who killed them the entire book (and usually im able figure out it out ahead of time) and i think that has to do with detective. The detective put in my head a motive for everyone which was very smart of the author because it kept me guessing.

And damn that last
Kayla Krantz
Feb 25, 2018 rated it did not like it
I read the reviews on this book before I picked it up but I shrugged them off because I've read a handful of Miss Preston's other works and enjoyed them. However, this book drove me crazy. The instalove was terrible and distracting. Rather than being concerned about finding her best friend's killer, the main character kept fantasizing about a guy she had just met the night her friend died. She kept making terrible choices and several times, I wished I could've shaken some sense into her.

Although
Michelle
A locked cabin. A group of friends who have known each other for years. A no-parents weekend. Two dead bodies. This has all the hallmarks of an outstanding murder mystery. Unfortunately, the execution is weak, the characters are even weaker, and the ending…well, the ending is one of the lowest points of the entire novel.

The main problems lie with the narrative flow as well as with the lack of character development. The story itself is choppy. Told through the first-person narrator, you expect so
Sadie
Nov 27, 2018 rated it did not like it
Only a mystery could go from a 4 to 1 star in the last three pages.

(view spoiler)
Cass
Jan 30, 2018 added it
DNF @ 30%
i just cannot just through this book
im extremely bored and the characters are annoying me😂
oh well🤷🏻♀
Ashley
Apr 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Did I pick this book up earlier this evening because I knew it would be a quick read and I was falling behind on my reading goals? Yeah, you got me.

I purchased The Cabin a few months ago, actually while I was grocery shopping with my mother. At the time I didn't realize it had orginially been a Wattpad story. Oh boy, I can't even begin to tell you the countless number of hours I spent on that app when I first discovered it. It definitley felt like a Wattpad story to me. I don't know if you know
Stephen Arvidson
Natasha Preston’s latest entry has the hallmarks of a locked-room mystery. Seven high-school graduates embark on a debaucherous weekend to a secluded cabin and wake up to find two of their friends dead, stabbed to death on the kitchen floor. With no signs of forced entry, suspicion turns to the five survivors. As Mackenzie Keaton, the arguably endearing protagonist, resolves to clear her name and those of her cohorts, she soon discovers that none of her friends are above reproach—except, of cour ...more
Paula  Phillips
Sep 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
After reading Natasha Preston's book The Cellar , I knew I wanted to read this book as I loved the way she had a suspense and thriller feel to her stories. If you remember years ago the book series Point of Horror that brought us authors like Lois Duncan , R.L Stine, Todd Strasser and Christopher Pike. In The Cabin , we have a group of friends who over the past couple of years had a tragedy happen to them which resulted in the death of two of their best friends. This caused a strain in their fri ...more
Majanka
Sep 12, 2016 rated it did not like it
Book Review originally published here: http://www.iheartreading.net/reviews/...

The Cabin was… Well, a dissapointment doesn’t even begin to cover it. This book is filled with nopes, no, not in a thousand years. We get situations like teenage drinking (which I’m okay with – here in Europe drinking beer is legal from age sixteen and up – but these teens drink randomly and for no reason. We also get random drugs, random just about everything.

And then we get murder. Random murder too, if you ask me,
Kate Brown
Sep 15, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: school
Oh Natasha.....what an absolute disaster of a book. This may sound harsh, but I've read better stories from my 7th graders. The first major problem is the absolute outrageous plot and each event seems more impossible and unbelievable. One minute the protagonist is upset by the dead bodies of her friends and then the next she is head over heels in love. The ending is so predictable and the protagonist does very little to even uncover who is the true murderer. I loved Preston's book, "The Cellar", ...more
Miranda
Nov 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really don’t understand the low ratings for this book. I stopped reading mystery books because I kept figuring out the ending before I finished the book, but not with The Cabin. I really thought I knew who the killer was but the ending I didn’t see coming at all. It was so good, it answered all my questions, but it also left me wanting a sequel. I want to know what happens when the police find the last hidden clues and if they believe in the story or if they still find the truth. I need more!!
Brooke Nuzie
May 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Meh.

I love mysteries, I can get sucked into a good YA, but this one just didn’t do it. The main character was almost too young adult-y. The way she thought and spoke seemed younger than an 18 year old.

I usually can finish a thriller in 2-3 days, this one took almost 2 weeks because I just never wanted to pick it up. When I did, it went pretty fast. It had a twist at the end with a good cliff hanger, but it was also a bit messy.

But really the ending also made no sense to me. I don’t want to pu
Sara
Oct 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
I did enjoy this book but I figured who the killer was before the book ended and I wasn’t complete satisfied with the ending as well. Overall I do think this was a pretty solid read and I would recommend it to someone who wants to get in to the mystery/ thriller genre.
Is
Aug 08, 2016 rated it did not like it

DNF at 35%

DNF when a week later and I had still not finishing a fairly short book. Compared to what I usually read in a week (1000+ pages).

DNF after finishing Adulting 101 and Harry Potter and the Cursed Child whilst reading The Cabin (i.e I had no qualms setting it aside and had no problem finishing other novels).

This days when I request on Netgalley it is with a heavily presumption that I will finish the book, that I’m very much looking forward to reading picked book. The Cabin was no exceptio
Alicia Balliett
Jul 21, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf, fav-covers
I'm going to start off by saying the author needs a damn dictionary. She uses the same words and phrases over and over! Just like in her other book "The Cellar." I was actually able to finish that book though. I couldn't finish this one...I just couldn't. I stopped reading at page 72.

Here's my reasons for giving up on this so called book.

1) The author keeps reminding us that Josh did something bad. Okay! I get it! He's not a nice guy. Can we please move on with the story.

2) The author is always
The Cabin Discussion 4 24 Jan 29, 2018 07:13AM
419 READs: Samantha Adams Review Period 1 1 6 Nov 27, 2017 06:07AM

• Heartsick
  • Like Candy (Candy #1)
  • Dark Hope (Archangel Prophecies #1)
  • One Was Lost
  • Twisted
  • Escape from Eden
  • Echoes
  • Water So Deep (Water So Deep, #1)
  • Twisted Up In You
  • Sachael Dreams (Mine, #1)
  • Below
  • Better Left Buried
  • Discovering You
  • Chasing Truth (Eleanor Ames, #1)
  • Defender
  • Irreversible
  • Nirvana (Nirvana #1)
  • The Forgetting
#1 New York Times Bestselling Author of The Cellar and The Cabin. Romance and YA Thriller writer, Tom Hardy enthusiast, and always buried in a book.

Amazon - https://goo.gl/VsxKPk
Facebook - https://goo.gl/vAAGsB
Twitter - https://goo.gl/JGrC4b
“we're going to be ok was one of the most overused phrases, but also one of the truest. no matter what has happened, how deeply something hurt you, the world continued to spin, and you would continue to breathe. things might be awful for a while- sometimes a long while- but eventually, you would be able to function again. I just wasn't sure if I had the patience or energy to wait for that time” 5 likes
“If you don’t trust anyone, then no one can screw you over. You’re going to find that out the hard way,” 1 likes