Start by marking “The Zombie Zone (A to Z Mysteries, #26)” as Want to Read:
The Zombie Zone (A to Z Mysteries, #26)

The Zombie Zone

(A to Z Mysteries #26)

Dink, Josh, and Ruth Rose are excited to vacation in the Louisiana bayou. But the small village they visit has a scary problem. The villagers tell stories of voodoo and a giant zombie with silver hair who has been digging up graves in the cemetery. Can the tales be true? Illustrations.
Published April 1st 2005 by Turtleback Books (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Zombie Zone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Zombie Zone

Start your review of The Zombie Zone (A to Z Mysteries, #26)
Amy
My niece enjoys these A to Z Mysteries by Ron Roy, so we decided to try reading a few in anticipation of Halloween.

My niece said that she enjoyed Zombie Zone and said that it was pretty scary. At first I didn't think that she was going to really care much for this story because she seemed to have a hard time tuning in. As the story grew, however, the book had her full attention and she began attempting to solve the mystery. She was paying attention to the clues, making deductions, and using
Kathleen
Jul 07, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
Ugg. Sometimes it's hard having a third grader. he loves to read which I'm so thankful for but some of these chapter books are killing me. I say how about you read that one to yourself and he says to me " mom I need to practice voice and fluency". ummm ok
Madison Henson
Oct 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bryon didn't mean to steal leather wallet from Jay Frisk.
Two men came and dug up a graves, carried the coffins away. When they were gone, Bryon found the dirt. He saved it for them, but they didn't come back.
Pizza_Food :)
Dec 19, 2008 rated it liked it
beware of zombie because they will kll you if you don't.
Olivia Collins
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-read
Sierra
Sep 19, 2008 added it
I LEARNED NOTHING!!!! YAY!!!!
Abigail
Aug 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Do the zombies really come out at night or is someone pranking the town?
Nam
Sep 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Good story, but I was majorly disappointed that all three kids, Ruth Rose's grandmother, and Jack ignored a big clue. The person in the grave had a flashlight and watch. Doesn't that seem a little out of place for a village that lives in makeshift huts with homemade stoves, vegetable gardens, hand-created clothes, and no electricity? Given how much they clung to the DIY way of living, how was Byron a suspect? Also, how could Jack believe for even a second that it could have been a man from the ...more
Blue
Apr 27, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I might have missed it, but I thought Ruth's grandmother was in Florida but then New Orleans is mentioned for the police department?

These children are having a really busy summer - W-Z are all outside of Greenlawn and in the Summer, although the concert was near by.

As scared as the trio was, they never thought to wake Jack, nor does it occur to them that a local person would not have used a flashlight.
Simon
May 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Read these books when I was a kid and greatly enjoyed them, figured I'd give them a second read for kicks.

I certainly recommend any young mysteries fan devote time to this series, it's certainly a grand adventure for a young mind, the imagery of Ron Roy's words and his settings and unique character descriptions and personalities really help kids imagine a whole movie in their heads as they read each exciting page.
Roxanne
Aug 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
Debra Palm
Oct 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this to my grandson

Very fun book to read aloud to my grandkids over FT. Gives some facts and introduces kids to the various cultures and beliefs around the country. A light mystery showcasing problem solving. I am now a fan of A to Z Mysteries!
Katie Merkel
Jan 02, 2019 rated it liked it
This particular book was not my favorite, but I am sad that I have finished the A to Z Mysteries series. The books are all well written and show strong friendships and good relationships between kids and adults. I highly recommend this series for 1st-2nd graders.
Hazel
Nov 15, 2019 added it
I think this book is okay. there was so many posible subjects.
Tara
May 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-books
I have loved this series, beginning to end. This is a great conclusion. I love the kids and the mysteries. Good stuff!
Kathryn
Dec 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Same as the last one. Trying to catch up.
Fun mystery.
A book about or set on Halloween (Pop sugar)
Sheila
Oct 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Another great read aloud for 3rd grade Mystery unit of study! Great series for predicting and explaining reasons for predictions!
Yurika K
Dec 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
When I read this book, It gave the goosebumps!
But then it became really fun! And extremely exciting!
After I read the book, I wanted to read it again.
This is really a page turner!
Michelle Hessler
In The Zombie Zone by Ron Roy, three young children go on an adventure through the Louisiana bayou country. The three children were invited to Louisiana by Ruth Roses grandma. Her grandma is letting the children go out on a tour while she goes to paint the scenery around Louisiana. They are given a tour from a tour guide named Jack. Jack drives the children into the bayou with his tour van from his “Gator Guide” business. Dink, Josh, and Ruth Rose get to the village and are interested to hear ...more
Deepthi Herga
Nov 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: snugli-books
My 7 - year old has finished the entire set of the A to Z mysteries (including all the super editions). I started reading them because I wanted to find out how good these mysteries are and after I started, I finished the entire set myself. This will be a common review for all the books in the set (so please forgive me if you see this repeated under another book).

First of all, the mystery part of the book is fairly simple for an adult, but I can see how it can keep a kid engrossed. The characters
luhvBOOKS
Jun 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Title: The Zombie Zone

Author: Ron Roy

Series: A to Z Mysteries #26

Rating:

Summary: Z is for zombie... Dink, Josh, and Ruth Rose are excited to vacation in the Louisiana bayou. But the small village they visit has a scary problem. The villagers tell stories of voodoo and a giant zombie with silver hair who has been digging up graves in the cemetery. Can the the tales be true? It’s up to Dink, Josh, and Ruth Rose to unearth the secrets of the zombie zone.

Review: Ooooo, scary! I love it!

Things I
Dolly
Dec 22, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
At the end of this book, the author mentions that he was trying to go for a scary book this time, but not too scary. He succeeded, but this story has a much different feel than most of the others in the series. It's an interesting look at some of the more rural areas surrounding New Orleans, but there's not much discussion about the city, the culture, or the French influence on it.

Our girls enjoyed hearing the story, especially toward the end, but it wasn't their favorite of the A to Z
Carol Royce Owen
Oct 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
There's nothing deep about the A to Z Mysteries, but they are a great addition to the 2nd-4th grade class libraries, especially when teaching the elements of a mystery. In this story, Dink, Josh and Ruth Rose are in Louisiana, and get involved in a mystery in which someone (perhaps a zombie) is digging up graves at a tribal cemetery. Join them as they gather clues and determine who the guilty party is.
kristen
Jan 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing
My 2nd graders liked this A to Z mystery the best so far! I was a bit hesitant b/c it seemed scary talking about zombies and grave robbing but we established there was no such thing as zombies before we began. Whenever we had our reading time with this one the students would say "it is time to get zombified!" and they wanted lights off so we read by sunlight only :) It was also fun to tie in bayous with our science study of habitats. Love Ron Roy!
Lisadunbar22
Mar 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: evan
I thought this book was awesome! My favorite part was when they found out there was no zombie. Review by Evan.

It was crazy that Jack took the kids to see an alligator nest hours after his first child was born. I had to explain to Evan that no decent father would leave his new born baby and wife. Evan said it would be even worse if he took his new born baby to see the alligator nest! HA!
Sherry
Jul 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing
THE ZOMBIE ZONE

I LIKED THIS ONE A LITTLE BETTER THAN THE OTHER ONES BECAUSE IT WAS MORE INSPIRING TO ME BECAUSE IT WAS MORE SPOOKY. IT WAS ABOUT A ZOMBIE WHO HAS SIVERY GRAYISH HAIR WHOM THE VILLAGERS THINK ROBBED 2 GRAVES AND PUT UP A SIGN THAT SAID
DANGER! ZOMBIE ZONE. TO FIND OUT WHAT IT END LIKE YOU HAVE TO READ IT!!!!!!!

JOSH
AGE9
Marlee
Nov 22, 2014 rated it liked it
My children enjoyed this book and were fully captivated while we were reading it. However, the ending seemed a bit abrupt to them. Many of the books in this series ended somewhat abruptly. They had been hoping for something more though, as it was the last letter book. They were excited to continue on with the other books about Dink, Josh, and Ruth Rose.
Brittany
Aug 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
My son and I stumbled upon this series at the library. He loves mysteries. We started with the final book, but it gave enough information about the characters that we weren't lost one bit. He enjoyed this book and we will continue with this series.
Brenda
Apr 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was a fun story, little spooky and creepy, but fun. One reason I love Ron Roy's books is because you get to be a kid again when reading them. I am definitely going to get more of his books in the very near future.
Sydney
Nov 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
when dink and his friends are excited to go to louisana and people are talking about this zombie with silver hair and is digging up graves dink and his friends are on the case to find out who is the zombie with the silver hair.
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Mystery of the UFO (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #2)
  • High Tide in Hawaii (Magic Tree House, #28)
  • Stink: The Incredible Shrinking Kid
  • It's Halloween, I'm Turning Green (My Weird School Special, #1)
  • Nate the Great
  • Lions at Lunchtime (Magic Tree House, #11)
  • Thanksgiving on Thursday (Magic Tree House, #27)
  • Christmas in Camelot (Magic Tree House, #29)
  • Who Was Babe Ruth?
  • Junie B. Jones Loves Handsome Warren (Junie B. Jones, #7)
  • Earthquake in the Early Morning (Magic Tree House, #24)
  • The All-Star Joker (Ballpark Mysteries, #5)
  • Cool Zone with the Pain and the Great One
  • Weather or Not (Upside-Down Magic, #5)
  • Helen Keller: Courage in the Dark (Step Into Reading)
  • Deep Trouble (Goosebumps, #19)
  • Junie B. Jones and the Mushy Gushy Valentime (Junie B. Jones, #14)
  • Warriors in Winter (Magic Tree House #31)
RON ROY has been writing books for children since 1974. He is the author of dozens of books, including the popular A to Z Mysteries, Calendar Mysteries, and Capital Mysteries. When not working on a new book, Ron likes to teach tricks to his dog Pal, play poker with friends, travel, and read thrilling mystery books. ...more

A to Z Mysteries (1 - 10 of 26 books)
  • The Absent Author (A to Z Mysteries, #1)
  • The Bald Bandit (A to Z Mysteries, #2)
  • The Canary Caper (A to Z Mysteries, #3)
  • The Deadly Dungeon (A to Z Mysteries, #4)
  • The Empty Envelope (A to Z Mysteries, #5)
  • The Falcon's Feathers (A to Z Mysteries, #6)
  • The Goose's Gold (A to Z Mysteries, #7)
  • The Haunted Hotel (A to Z Mysteries, #8)
  • The Invisible Island (A to Z Mysteries, #9)
  • The Jaguar's Jewel (A to Z Mysteries, #10)