Start by marking “The Girl In The Ice (DCI Erika Foster, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Girl In The Ice (DCI Erika Foster, #1)

The Girl In The Ice

(Detective Erika Foster #1)

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  51,675 ratings  ·  4,128 reviews
Her eyes are wide open. Her lips parted as if to speak. Her dead body frozen in the ice…She is not the only one.

When a young boy discovers the body of a woman beneath a thick sheet of ice in a South London park, Detective Erika Foster is called in to lead the murder investigation.

The victim, a beautiful young socialite, appeared to have the perfect life. Yet when Erika b
Published February 12th 2016 by Bookouture

To ask other readers questions about The Girl In The Ice, please sign up.
Mary I purchased the digital book on book bub for 1.99. It was a fun read, easily finished in one day. It was a snowy day book.
Ash Book contains strong sexual themes, including rape and violence towards women. NOT a book for kids, or even any number of adults. Still, a really…moreBook contains strong sexual themes, including rape and violence towards women. NOT a book for kids, or even any number of adults. Still, a really fascinating read anyway, for the right group.(less)

·  51,675 ratings  ·  4,128 reviews

Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
I had plans today. I was going to do some Stuff...and thangs. But then I started this book.
Palm Springs commercial photography

We had hotdogs for dinner and they were dang lucky to get them. I did not want to put this sucker down.
A young, rich social type girl is found under the ice in the water in South London's less fortunate section. She has been brutally murdered and Daddy is having a fit wanting some one to pay. They call in Detective Erika Foster to lead the investigation, but every-time she starts to find out something he
Chelsea Humphrey
Jan 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I would like to thank Netgalley and author Robert Bryndza for my copy in exchange for a fair and honest review.

I cannot stop gushing about this one! This is the debut in a new police procedural series starring DCI Erika Foster and once again I have found a brand new strong, female detective to love! I would compare this to the likes of S.J. Bolton's Lacey Flint series and Angela Marsons' DI Kim Stone. If you have enjoyed either of these series I HIGHLY recommend taking this up; you won't be sorr
Emma
Feb 16, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm going to have to go against the majority on this one, i'm not a fan.

DCI Erika Foster: an individual recovering from serious trauma, who probably shouldn't be at work and certainly shouldn't be a lead investigator, spends the entire book snapping at people or being physically violent, makes the most ridiculous choices, e.g. investigating places alone. Repeatedly. Surprise, surprise-she gets attacked by the killer. A strong female character is not made by simply having an attitude problem. Mos
Crumb
Oct 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Heart-stopping, Nail-biting, Pulse-racing!

Detective Erika Foster has that level of intuition that separate the good detectives, from the great detectives. She has those gut instincts that tell her when something is off - when something isn't right. With the recent murder of an influential, wealthy man's daughter, Foster's gut tells her something isn't adding up. As more and more dead bodies start piling up , it's a race against the clock to catch the killer before he/she catches Foster first.

Who
Meredith
Apr 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
SO GOOD!

Addictive police procedural about a ballsy Detective Chief Inspector determined to take down a twisted killer.

Since there have been so many stellar reviews already written about The Girl in the Ice, I am going to write more about my reading experience vs. the plot.

Right from the start, this book grabbed me. It begins with the murder of a wealthy socialite and progresses to focus on DCI Erika Foster who is brought in to solve the case.

It only took me reading about 20% of this book b
Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
"I say that all because I want you to forget where these women stood in society. Don't do what we do in this country, day in, day out, and divide them into their social classes. They are all equals, all victims, and they deserve our equal attention."

It’s been quite a while I last read a mystery thriller and it’s usually not the kind of genre I like to indulge in. Why? Because I’m a little scaredy cat. *lol* Yes, I admit it!
There’s no shame in being a little sensitive and let’s face it, all thos
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
99 cents on kindle right now!

First off, I think the cover of the book is amazing! It's what brought me to the book in the first place.

The girl in the ice was named Andrea Douglas-Brown. She was the daughter of a multi-millionaire, Lord Douglas-Brown. So that right there made this case very sensitive as we have to bow down to the rich. He also owned a business called SamTech that made GPS and software for the government so there you go. Andrea had a brother and sister, Linda and David as well as
Christine

I wish to thank Net Galley, Bookouture, and Robert Bryndza for an ARC of this book in exchange for an unbiased review.

Robert Bryndza writes chick lit. SAY WHAT??? I was paralyzed with confusion when I went to check out other books written by this author. Are there two Robert Bryndzas? No? Because the Robert Bryndza who wrote this magnificent police procedural is a terrific thriller writer! Turns out both these Robert Bryndzas are one and the same, which to me is pretty mind-blowing.

The
Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
Oh 2016 is looking SO darn good for books! I am so excited about those that I have read already.

Who is with me on that one? So, I had heard the fuss about this book, no way could I miss out on the action so it landed in my hands and off I went, into the world of words...

The books is brilliantly paced from the start, we kick off with some dramatic scenes which I love in a book, it makes it interesting from the start. A girl under the ice? Her face looking through what looks like thick glass, lif
Linda
I received The Girl in The Ice through NetGalley and Bookouture for an honest review. My sincere thanks to them for the opportunity. Thank you to Robert Bryndza for such a stellar book.

WoWzers! This was an exceptional mystery thriller that has lived up to all the hype preceding it. I've had my eye on it and haven't been able to take that same eye off of it until I finished the final page.

We are introduced to DCI Erika Foster who has been called in to investigate the death of Andrea Douglas-Brown
Frances
Jan 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5* Erika Foster is a brash, no nonsense Detective chief inspector assigned to a high profile murder case of a young woman found in a frozen pond. With road blocks constantly in her way from the victims’ socialite family, government officials, and eventually her boss Superintendent Marsh, Erika forges ahead knowing her future and career are on the line. Rob Bryndza has written a suspenseful, chilling book as Foster starts to uncover secrets and cover-ups, eventually placing her in the cross-hai ...more
Maureen
Jan 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
* 4.5 STARS*

Leaden skies and snowbound icy streets, set the sombre mood needed, for this excellent police procedural. I was gripped from the first page, when socialite Andrea Douglas Brown, is abducted, beaten to death, and dumped in a pond, in a South London park.
DCI Erika Foster is called in to lead the investigation. Erika's last case resulted in the death of her husband ( a fellow police officer ) and four of their colleagues. She is somewhat nervous initially, but soon takes the lead, and
Debra
Feb 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Received from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Wow...just Wow...

Honestly, I can tell you that this book is FANTASTIC! This book really took me by Surprise. From the very beginning, when a woman is walking alone and a car pulls up beside her, I was hooked. This book had a great build up from beginning to the end. I thought the pace of this book was perfect. Nothing felt rushed. I really dislike when I read a book and it is great and then the ending comes out of left field. Ther
Mandy
Mar 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book and will be anxiously awaiting the arrival of his next book with Erika Foster. I really enjoyed her as a strong leading lady. Definitely a force to reckon with. Just when I thought this book was wrapping up the plot twists and takes me down another path.
Zoeytron
Copy furnished by Net Galley in exchange for a review.

The prologue grabbed me right by the goozle and I would have loved to have read the book straight through. Life didn't allow for that this time, but the pacing was fantastic nevertheless.

Detective Inspector Erika Foster is a longtime veteran of rape and murder cases. She goes with her gut and she is not afraid to call bullshit when it is merited. Good strong character, trying to come to grips with the loss of her husband in an investigation
Sue
I wish to express a big Thank you to the author, Robert Bryndza, NetGalley and Bookouture for the Arc of THE GIRL IN THE ICE in exchange for an honest and unbiased review. What a marvelous debut police procedural, coming from my favourite publisher, Bookouture. A real winner for 2016!

I was gripped right from the beginning of the novel, and would have finished this book sooner had it not been for personal issues and surgery that delayed my finish date.

“Her body was found frozen in the ice. -that
Norma * Traveling Sister
Sister Read Review by Norma & Brenda

My sister, Brenda and I decided to read THE GIRL IN THE ICE at the same time so we could chat about it and get each others input. We both have really similar tastes and thoughts about books so you will probably notice a little bit of both of us in this review! :)

The Girl In The Ice is a gripping and suspenseful story that grabbed my attention from the very first few pages. The plot was extremely well executed which slowly reveals layers of clues that draws
Svetlana
This may just become one of my favourite reads of the year because I was THAT impressed with Robert Bryndza's work!

"Now, DCI Sparks, you are in danger of contaminating the crime scene. If you wish to continue to observe, I’ll ask that you follow proper procedure, suit up and shut up."

Yaassssss!! You tell him!

I studied Forensics at uni, so naturally I'm more observant about these things. As much as I love watching crime shows, they aren't very realistic. I just sit there thinking. . . why aren
Alex is The Romance Fox
I've rediscovered British crime writers!! And so glad I did, especially after reading the awesome debut novel, The Girl In The Ice, the 1st book in DCI Erika Foster Series by Robert Bryndza, an author unknown to me but not for long!!

What a great start to the series. The author has created an amazing cast of characters that are real and totally believable.

DCI Erika Foster, the main protagonist reminded me in some way of DCI Jane Tennison from Lynda La Plante's Prime Suspect Series. At first, Erik
Jan
Jan 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this! A fantastic debut police procedural by author Robert Bryndza.

I started this book and was hooked immediately. If I hadn't had a week from he--, I would have finished this a lot sooner. I snuck in reading time whenever I was able, and when I couldn't, this story played in my head.

Andrea, the socialite daughter of a high profile family turns up dead as the result of foul play.
As Detective Ericka Foster gets her feet back under her after a personal tragedy, she is thrown into the invest
Gary
Feb 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book in a new crime series by Robert Bryndza featuring DCI Erika Foster. I believe the author has agreed to write a three books in this series and if the other two are anything like this one, then I can't wait to read them.
I find it hard to believe that the author usually writes romantic comedies and this is in fact his first crime novel. I can't vouch for the other genre but this book was an excellent read and I couldn't read it quick enough in an attempt to find out what was
Melissa (Mel’s Bookshelf)
4.5 Stars
Bookoture have released some of my absolute favourite books over the past year. They really hit the mark when they picked the authors to publish lately! Kathryn Croft and Angela Marsons are two great ones, and I’m so pleased to add Robert Bryndza to the list! Fantastic book!

The Girl In the Ice is the first of what will be the DCI Erika Foster series. Erika is a Detective Inspector who comes back to work after time off following a fumbled drug raid, where her police officer husband was k
Suzanne
Jan 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great little book, one I'm glad to have stumbled across. Erika our detective is crumbling, her personal life is a mess (does she have one at all?) her husband Mark was killed at work which just happened to be one of her cases; life at work is not much better. Her first job back after trying to recover from this is just not going well, iniitially Erika is not even able to hold together an initial interview with the parents of a young murdered socialite.

Erika knows she can do it, she's
Matt
Jul 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
In his new series, Robert Bryndza introduces readers to DCI Erika Foster, a passionate cop with a sordid past of her own. After the body of Andrea Douglas-Brown turns up, encased in ice and floating in the frigid January water, South London police turn their Missing Persons alert to a full-fledged homicide case. DCI Erika Foster arrives to join the homicide team, having been seconded from Manchester after a less than honourable experience with the local constabulary. While Foster brings much to ...more
Luvtoread
Jan 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very very good book! Great characters with depth and you cared about what they feeling and doing. Many twists
and turns, the 2nd half of the book had non-stop action and suspense. It really had me on the edge of my seat and I couldn't put the book down until I found out how this story would end! Great storyline and very well written. I highly
recommend this detective crime book! I will certainly read more books by this author.
Montzalee Wittmann
The Girl In The Ice (Detective Erika Foster, #1) by Robert Bryndza started out really good. I think it worked too hard for the detective's boss to oppose her constantly. They were suppose to be solving a murder but the boss seemed determined to not let her do her job, seemed way over the top. It was a good story but could have been shorter. I would've liked it better a bit condensed. Loved the cover, that is what made me pick the book up. Narration was excellent.
Liz
Dec 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I think this may be my new favorite series. I love Erika Foster. How could I not, with this description of her: “Erika has never quite mastered how to talk to children. Rapists and murderers she could deal with, but children she found a little intimidating.”

This is a fast paced mystery. Well written, with interesting characters. Erika has a nice blend of strength and foibles. She lost her husband, a fellow policeman, in a shootout. She's back in her first job since and still raw. She’s
Brenda - Traveling Sister
Dec 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
My sister Norma and I read The Girl in the Ice at the same time so we could share our thoughts on it. You might notice our reviews have some similar thoughts.

The Girl In The Ice is an engaging and suspenseful story that had me hooked right from the Prologue. I found DCI Erika Foster to be a believable, strong and sympathetic character.

I like how the action starts right away and the danger increases as the clock is ticking. I liked how DCI Erika Foster's backstory caused conflict and motivated
Julie
Dec 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Girl in the Ice by Robert Bryndza is a 2016 Bookouture publication.

A few months back, it seemed nearly every one of my Goodreads friends was reading this book. The cover pops and I was intensely curious, and maybe a little envious because I was missing out. However, my plate was full just then, but I was determined to catch up with the series as quickly as possible.

The story grabbed my attention immediately and from there the pacing was relentless, and kept me glued to the pages from begin
Erin
Jun 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kobo, series
To all of my Goodreads friends that have ever reviewed this book or any book in the series, I totally get it ! DCI Erika Foster is definitely the mate we all want to have a beer with and probably one of a handful of literary characters that we would want to solve our own murder. Or that of our loved ones. From the very first chapter, I just had a feeling that another series was going on my TBR shelf.

Reeling from the recent loss of a beloved husband, Erika finds a fresh new start in a different
  • Evil Games (D.I. Kim Stone, #2)
  • For Reasons Unknown (DCI Matilda Darke, #1)
  • Let the Dead Speak (Maeve Kerrigan, #7)
  • Time to Die (Detective Jennifer Knight, #2)
  • Rattle (The Bone Collector, #1)
  • Into the Light (The Light, #1)
  • The End of Lies
  • The Lost Girl (Brennan & Esposito Series #8)
  • Void
  • Evil Never Dies (Lizzy Gardner, #6)
  • The Missing Girls (DI Robyn Carter, #3)
  • A Tapping At My Door (DS Nathan Cody, #1)
  • The Strange Death of Fiona Griffiths (Fiona Griffiths, #3)
  • The Jackdaw (DI Sean Corrigan, #4)
  • Blind Fury (Anna Travis, #6)
  • Broken Dolls (Jefferson Winter, #1)
Robert Bryndza is the author of the international #1 bestseller The Girl in the Ice, which is the first in his Detective Erika Foster series. It has sold over one million copies.

The Night Stalker, Dark Water, Last Breath and Cold Blood are the second, third, fourth and fifth books in the series. The sixth book, Deadly Secrets has just been published.

Robert's books have sold over 2.5 million copies

Detective Erika Foster (6 books)
  • The Night Stalker (Detective Erika Foster, #2)
  • Dark Water (Detective Erika Foster, #3)
  • Last Breath (Detective Erika Foster, #4)
  • Cold Blood (Detective Erika Foster, #5)
  • Deadly Secrets (Detective Erika Foster, #6)
“The secret of blending in, is don’t try to. Everyone is so fucking self-obsessed.” 13 likes
“You're going up against powerful people here, and the odds are not in your favour.'
'Sounds very Hunger Games...”
4 likes