Start by marking “Queen of Blades (Starcraft)” as Want to Read:
Queen of Blades (Starcraft)

Queen of Blades

(Starcraft #4)

Former marshal-turned-rebel Jim Raynor has broken away from the power-crazed Emperor Arcturus Mengsk. Enraged over Mengsk's betrayal of the powerful telepath, Sarah Kerrigan, to the ravenous Zerg, Raynor has lost all faith in his fellow humanity.

Yet, in the aftermath of Mengsk's treachery, Raynor is plagued by strange visions of Char — a deadly, volcanic world haunted by h
Mass Market Paperback, 349 pages
Published May 1st 2007 by Pocket Star (first published May 23rd 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Queen of Blades, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Queen of Blades

Krysztina
Sep 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fi, fiction
You know a book's old when the paperback ends with a preview for a tie-in novel to a cancelled game (in this case, Starcraft: Ghost). It's been 20 years to boot since I first played the original StarCraft (holy sh!t I'm old) so, when I saw this book in a bargain bin at a charity shop, I had to buy it. I just had to.

I don't remember much from the original game's campaign, but I could tell that Aaron Rosenberg used bits of dialogue from the in-game mission briefings and cutscenes here and there. T
Wendy
Nov 16, 2014 rated it it was ok
I’m a big fan of gaming lore, and enjoy reading the books and comics that expand a video game’s already rich story–even for games I haven’t actually played. In this case, my husband played Starcraft II and eagerly shared all the major cutscenes with me. I instantly fell in love with Sarah Kerrigan, played by one of my favourite voice actresses, Tricia Helfer.

This is the story of Kerrigan’s emergence as the vengeful Queen of Blades, after being left for dead by her commander. It’s told from the p
kenzimone
Sep 10, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: StarCraft fans
I don't usually buy movie or game tie-in novels because, to put it bluntly, most of them suck. I probably wouldn't have bought Queen of Blades either, had it not been for three things: I love StarCraft (and most importantly, the Zerg); I found the book dirt cheap at my local second hand store; and Kerrigan is, tied with Sylvanas, probably my favorite female video game character ever.

So I gave into temptation and bought it. It's been a while since I played through the StarCraft campaigns, but th
Phillip Dimarzo
Feb 03, 2009 added it
Recommends it for: sci fi fans
this is the last book in the series of four books that relate well with the starcraft universe. this book focuses mostly on how the queen of blades become to be. originally the queen of blades was a pisonic assassin named sarah kerrigan who was tested on on a desert planet that noone really cared about, untill ever since the new emperor went around trying to seek out the old empires secerts and using them for his own will aganst all that stand in his way. the book starts off with a asian worker ...more
Nathan
Oct 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Best if read: after Liberty's Crusade, right after or during Episode II (Zerg campaign).

Gives you a ton of detail about Kerrigan and the Zerg as well as Tassadar/Zeratul and the Protoss. Raynor is your narrator and he goes into good detail about his dreams and experiences chasing after Kerrigan and teaming up with the Protoss after being stranded on the planet Char where Kerrigan ended up. Don't wanna spoil too much, but likely if you're reading this or the book, you've played the game.

This boo
Kevin
Feb 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: ANy SC player
Great read for people that enjoy a good Sci-fi novel that has guns and aliens. Similar to the Halo series but much easier to read.
Camilo Rodríguez Gaviria
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: starcraft, 2018
Great storytelling! I wish WoW authors were this good or any closer to this quality of writing and details.
Dino
Sep 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
First of all, i'd question my objectivity on any book that's related to StarCraft, simply because i consider myself to be a HUGE fan of the series and the story. Bearing that in mind, this is my opinion on the book.

The book takes place during the Zerg campaign (approximately 6 weeks after Kerrigan's capture) in StarCraft and finishes during the Protoss campaign, also StarCraft.

Now, i have to start by saying i was completely surprised by the books content. Judging by it's name, i thought it would
Ryan Smith
Jul 14, 2009 rated it really liked it
Surprisingly good! I'm a SC fan to the core, but even I never expected to give anything more than 3 stars to a video game-inspired novel; let's be honest, they're just not usually that good.

The writing here is incredibly accessible (yes, 'low brow'), but the descriptions are vivid and enjoyable and, most refreshingly of all, the characters are very complex, offering a depth that owes as much to the original creative dev. work at Blizzard as to Rosenberg's writing. These characters are the real d
KandyMay Poff
Feb 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Take my opinion with a grain of salt as I am not a sci-fi fan. It took me a long time to finish this book and I was reading out of obligation more than interest up until about chapter eight. To me, there was too much detail on parts that I cared little about. Not sure if this is a sci-fi thing or the particular author. As I stated before, chapter eight is when the book finally got my attention and I finished reading the book in two consecutive sittings.
Timothy
Nov 26, 2014 rated it liked it
A pretty interesting novel of what happens between the chapters in Starcraft. The emphasis being on how the characters came to know each other, the storyline manages to tie up loose ends in the game. My main issue with the story is how it gets repetitive at one point, the plot basically consisting of Raynor abandoning his men in order to gather intel. The storyline is decent, the buildup could have improved.
Delgee
Mar 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Starcraft fans, Sci-fi fans,
Shelves: starcraft
Very well written book in the universe of Starcraft.
Relates well with other books in the universe. As the title implies, its about Sarah Kerrigan, former ghost now queen of zerg.
Doesn't give us much information on Kerrigan's past only brief glimpses. Revolves a lot around James Raynor and his relationship with Kerrigan.

Overall, I liked this book but seeing the title, I expected something more on Kerrigan and it wasn't enough.
Caitlin (Ayashi)
Sep 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
First of all I thought it was awesome that this book was actually about Jim Raynor and Kerrigan - not of this weird side character no one actually knows and thus far doesn't actually exist in the Starcraft Universe yet

Overall really enjoyed the story. There were a few things here and there that seemed a bit off or forced but generally loved it. Hoping there are more Starcraft books (and video game books in general) like this one.
Shawn Edrei
Dec 14, 2015 rated it did not like it
A rather underwhelming attempt to dramatize the events of the first game - for a novel supposedly meant to depict Kerrigan's transformation, almost everything is seen from Raynor's perspective, with the story using greater and greater contrivances to explain how he's able to witness things like Zasz's destruction or the Amerigo raid. Kerrigan herself is practically an afterthought, more a cipher here than she is in the game itself.
Neil
Dec 15, 2012 rated it it was ok
just found out from a review that this is book 4 of a series, so i missed 2 and 3. that'd be a marketing fail, imo. anyway, more time spent on protoss in this one, but still not a lot of depth. they should have novelized the zerg attacking the protoss homeworld. blizzard should allocate more of the WoW creative team to starcraft, but i guess they're all working on "codename: titan".
Ivan Leong
Nov 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Chris Metzen did an amazing job with Sarah Kerrigan's character. The world around her is full and rich that made her unique and attractive. I believe just her image alone made Starcraft one of Blizzard's most successful games today. If you don't play the game then you have to read this book to discover why she earned the title The Queen of Blades.
Georgi Pachov
Oct 19, 2014 rated it it was ok
The book started okay, interesting and intensifying.

However as it moved on it became predictable and boring. There are some quite weird/distasteful moments (protoss sharing jokes with terrans?!) that do insult the magnificence and power of the original story line.

To be frank, I expected more and find this as a disappointing read.
Kenneth Miller
Oct 19, 2014 rated it it was ok
Although about a topic that I love, it seemed to move too fast past narrative. Once it entered the meaty part of the book, it suddenly ended. I was shocked that it was such a small section of the whole narrative.
Jeremy
Feb 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book was very well written and elaborated well in the more important areas. It detailed how Raynor managed to forge an alliance with Tassadar and eventually Zeratul of the Dark Templars. I loved the twist at the end with Raynor. Loved this read and would recommend it to anyone.
Zadoy
Jun 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Loveed this book. It is a must read for any a fan of the series
Ivanhoe
May 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
A more in-depth retelling of the origins of Kerrigan, i love Starcraft lore and this one was really exciting D:
Ngutierrez31
Aug 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
The Starcraft universe was a great time as always!
Eduardo
Sep 21, 2013 rated it liked it
Well, I gave it a 3 star review because Story-wise it was very informative, but Plot-wise it wasn't that interesting.
Alexander Damian
Aug 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great book
Christine
Feb 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
as if I could be any greater a Kerrigan fan.

This is such an excellent depiction of Kerrigan and Raynor's relationship as she is transformed into the Queen of Blades. Love it.
Peter Dolezal
Mar 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
I liked this book. It can tell much about protoss. And there is a part about Zeratul teaching Tassadar the dark templar skill.
Jeshu
May 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
This book is very good, yessss good yeess
Rezet
Dec 02, 2013
Eris Valor
Nov 29, 2015
Quin Howell
May 22, 2015
  • Shadow Hunters (StarCraft: The Dark Templar Saga, #2)
  • Starcraft: I, Mengsk
  • Liberty's Crusade (StarCraft, #1)
  • Nova (StarCraft: Ghost, #1)
  • Speed of Darkness (StarCraft, #3)
  • Shadow of the Xel'Naga (Starcraft, #2)
  • Uprising (Starcraft, #0.5)
  • Heaven's Devils (StarCraft II, #1)
  • Spectres (Starcraft: Ghost, #2)
  • The Expanse (Star Trek: Enterprise #6)
  • StarCraft: Frontline, Volume 1 (Starcaft)
  • Scales of the Serpent (Diablo: The Sin War, #2)
  • What Price Honor? (Star Trek: Enterprise #4)
  • A Choice of Futures (Star Trek: Enterprise: Rise of the Federation #1)
  • Shockwave (Star Trek: Enterprise #3)
  • Broken Bow (Star Trek: Enterprise #1)
Aaron Rosenberg is an award-winning, bestselling novelist, children’s book author, and game designer. He's written original fiction (including the NOOK-bestselling humorous science fiction novel No Small Bills, the Dread Remora space-opera series, and the O.C.L.T. supernatural thriller series), tie-in novels (including the PsiPhi winner Collective Hindsight for Star Trek: SCE, the Daemon Gates tri ...more

Starcraft (5 books)
  • Liberty's Crusade (StarCraft, #1)
  • Shadow of the Xel'Naga (Starcraft, #2)
  • Speed of Darkness (StarCraft, #3)
  • Starcraft: Evolution