Start by marking “Attack of the Bacon Robots! (Penny Arcade, #1)” as Want to Read:
Attack of the Bacon Robots! (Penny Arcade, #1)

Attack of the Bacon Robots!

(Penny Arcade #1)

Get your geek on! Penny Arcade, the comic strip for gamers, by gamers is now available in comic shops and bookstores everywhere. Not familiar with Penny Arcade? What? It's only the most popular comic strip on the web. It's the funniest, most twisted comic that ever lampooned gamer culture, and takes shots at everything from Star Wars to Steve Jobs. Experience the joy of be ...more
Published February 7th 2006 by Dark Horse Books (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Attack of the Bacon Robots!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Attack of the Bacon Robots!

Worm by Wildbowxkcd by Randall MunroeHark! A Vagrant by Kate BeatonThe Light of Cabo Rojo by Austin StarGunnerkrigg Court, Vol. 1 by Thomas Siddell
Best of the Web
335 books — 422 voters
Nimona by Noelle StevensonGunnerkrigg Court, Vol. 1 by Thomas SiddellHark! A Vagrant by Kate Beatonxkcd by Randall MunroeAva's Demon by Michelle Czajkowski
Webcomics
373 books — 204 voters

More lists with this book...

Christopher
Feb 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
To start with, let's talk about who this is for, because that is everything. The Penny Arcade comics are available for free on their site, penny-arcade.com. If you aren't familiar with the strip, or just want to read the old stuff, go there and do so. This book is not for you and there is a good chance you won't be happy with your purchase.

This volume is for fans of PA who want a little extra commentary. Jerry, the writer, gives a sentence or two about each strip in this book that covers the fir
Evgeny
Jun 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
First of all, a disclaimer: if you do not know that it is, this is most probably not for you. The comics deal with issues of gaming, mostly computer and console. Penny Arcade is very well known in these circles, which means that even if you have a passing interest in the subject you must have heard about them - thus the disclaimer.

The biggest problem with the comics - other than required knowledge of the subject - is that it does show its age. The first book talks about games released between 19
Susan
Mar 25, 2009 rated it really liked it
For those who have somehow missed the phenomenon of the webcomic Penny Arcade (at penny-arcade.com), these print compilations are as good a way as any to get caught up, and longtime fans of the series get to tune in to the adventures of slacker gamers Tycho and Gabe with the added benefit of panel commentary from the creators. If the library comic Unshelved is a comic for a nerd's nerd, Penny Arcade is a comic for a geek's geek. References to gadgetry, gaming systems and gamer culture abound and ...more
Michael Hanscom
Oct 27, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics, ebook
I'm just glad I got this as an ebook in the Humble Bundle deal, and didn't actually shell out full price for a physical book. Admittedly, I'm not a gamer, but I'm enough of a long-time geek that very few of the references were lost on me. They just weren't funny...and usually, not even mildly amusing. Of course, already being familiar with the authors through their unfortunate tendency to needlessly, unapologetically, and even proudly enable the more misogynistic aspects of modern gamer culture ...more
Katherine
Apr 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
It is hard to believe that Penny Arcade has been around for over ten years now. I didn't get hooked on the web-comic until about three to four years ago. I'm glad that the comics are coming out in print now so that I can learn the history of the e-comic.

The series follows the lives of two gamers, Gabe and Tycho. They have some funny moments sharing the thoughts and experiences about games and the tech industry in general. If you don't follow video games you might not get this book at all.

The b
rhea
Jul 29, 2009 rated it really liked it
While it's their start out strips it's still hilarious, it has my favorite strip in it that is absolutely immature, but it's all in good fun. Also, I'm still a sucker for the proposal in it, it seems to be the only way to do a public proposal and have it not be embarrassing, though still extremely cheesy and cute. If you know nothing about gadgets, gaming, or that culture there is no point in reading this, you won't understand the jokes.
Burt
Sep 27, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: PA-Fans, Gamers
Shelves: graphicnovel, humor
Note: The time this was read one might deduce is BEFORE the print date of the book - but NOT before the first run of the strips, starting in 1999. I started reading PA back in the day. So don't get all Jim Cameron chronological on me. Chill.

I remember seeing my first PA strip sometime in college round two. I remember commenting 'Wow, this art is rudimentary' and forgetting about it for a little while. The occasional nugget would pop up after that . A hysterical reference to Pac Man would appear
Megan Baxter
Jun 16, 2012 rated it liked it
There is swearing in this review. I'm sure most of you don't care, but I normally avoid it. So it's hidden, not for spoilers, but for language:

(view spoiler)
Brenton
Aug 31, 2009 rated it really liked it
I can't really rate this book four stars without a major disclaimer to my friends: if you don't have at least a passing knowledge of video game history and gamer culture, most of the humor in these comics will be lost on you and you'll be faced only with a confusing array of crass gags, volatile language, and cartoon violence. But if you are in the know, you probably already agree with the webcomic-reading masses that Penny Arcade is one of the greatest modern comic strips ever, and that Jerry H ...more
Daniel Messer
Apr 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I've been a video game nerd since I was in elementary school. When I hit middle school, my parents bought me the Nintendo Entertainment System and it altered my life profoundly. I cavorted in the dark reaches of video game trivia, backstory, plot line, news, and anything else that piqued my pixelized interests. My peers thought I was slightly crazy. Sure, everyone liked video games, but no one in their right mind liked them that much.

By high school, I'd met a good friend who shared my passions.
Dan
Aug 13, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2008, comics
Ah, the awkward early years. Every TV show, comic, person has them. Penny Arcade's first year was the exact same way. The art wasn't quite nailed yet (and Gabe has been constantly refining it for almost ten years now) and some of the jokes seem lame in retrospect (and dated. Even with footnotes I forgot about some of these PC games). It's hard to believe they made their first "wang" joke way back in 2000 ("wang clips" is all I think of when I close a bag of chips anymore).
I've always wanted to
Tung
Jan 09, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Unless you are a major geek like me, you have no idea what Penny Arcade is. If you do know what Penny Arcade is, you will have probably already read these four books. Penny Arcade is one of the most-read online comics, especially for video game enthusiasts. If you play videogames or even create videogames or work in an industry related to videogames, you read Penny Arcade as a matter of course. Where ESPN is the daily stop for sports fans, Penny Arcade is the daily stop for video game enthusiast ...more
Justinthunderliger
Oct 25, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fellow nerds, those gamer people
This infamous webcomic or "bcomic" (it's gonna catch on, I swear) is collected in this first volume including stuff from 98-00. Some of the later broader stuff I can relate to, but the only time the inside-gamer-speak was understood was the early stuff-- maybe because that's when I was really into computer games. I remember stuff like the initial problems with 3d graphics cards and whatnot, but these guys must've been hanging out on graphics cards BBSs and whatnot. But who in Nerddom doesn't rem ...more
Warren
Oct 27, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: video game players
This is the second collection of PA i've read (in le book form, I read through the backlog online a couple years ago, and have been keeping up religiously ever since).

Just damned enjoyable. refreshing to have some brief new commentaries accompanying old strips.

I write my own webcomic, and find these books to be like simple study guides in how to tell jokes in short strip form. even those that seem obviously pandering (violent) or not in line with the rest of the comics are somehow deliciously u
terpkristin
Nov 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012, humor, kindle
I got this from the ebook Humble Bundle. I had thought that I had been reading Penny Arcade more or less from the beginning. After reading this book, I have realized that this is obviously not true. This book, similar to the others in the PA volumes, includes the strips from 1998-2000, along with some commentary from "Tycho" about each strip. If you're a fan of the Penny Arcade Comic, then this book is a nice addition to your bookshelf, and it shows the PA guys your support of their product. Tow ...more
J.I.
If you don't know who Penny Arcade is from their website, it's highly unlikely that you'll enjoy their books. They are crass and vulgar and constantly reference the inane and the obscure, and all of it is (generally) about video games. That being said, this duo is incredibly talented, with solid, interesting art and witty, on point, hillarious writing. The books add a small comment (a few sentences) to every strip, many of them mundane, many of them interesting, many of them funny.

I recommend th
Arensb
Oct 21, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: anthology, geekery, humor
Meh.

I'm a gamer, but not a dedicated or hard-core one, and maybe that puts me outside of Penny Arcade's target readership. Even so, I don't see what all the fuss is about.

Yes, the strip often revolves around whatever hardware/software was just released/delayed/cancelled, so it's perforce topical and therefore dated. I don't mind that. A lot of the strips involve games that I've never played, or don't even recognize. That's fine, too.

No, the reason I say "meh" is that the remaining strips just ar
Peter Derk
Oct 03, 2012 rated it liked it
It must be weird to bind 10-year-old work and put it out. But considering the age and that so much of Penny Arcade is pop culture....or maybe not pop culture so much as time-sensitive subculture stuff, the book actually holds up okay. I mean, it's pretty simple to decide whether or not you'll enjoy this.

Spell out a gut reaction to each of the following:

-Daikatana
-John Romero
-Dreamcast
-Divx

If you HAVE opinions on two of those four, you'll probably enjoy this book. If not, well, we just don't have
Schnaucl
Jan 21, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Penny Arcade or video games
I found this collection of Penny Acade's early work to be extremely funny. I didn't always appreciate the nuances since I wasn't really into gaming when the Dreamcast was still around but I still found enough to make me laugh out loud several times.

It was interesting to compare the characterization of Tycho and Gabe in the beginning to what it is now. In the earlier work I think both personalities were similar to what Gabe's is today.

I was highly entertained and envy the working relationship of
Stacey
Jul 10, 2010 rated it liked it
It's clear that I'm not exactly the target audience for these early strips - I had to ask Mawk for clarification on a lot, because it's almost solely computer and video game jokes. That doesn't mean, however, that I didn't enjoy it. PA Is funny, funny stuff, well worth a read for even the slightly-geeky.
Matt Mazenauer
Jul 10, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: signed
As one of everyone's all-time favorites, and one of the most burstingly-laugh-out-loud funny comics there is, PA starts out rough, but really only in artwork. They get into the swing fo things rather quickly, and any slow parts is well compensated by the great behind-the-scenes commentary by the wonderfully wordy Tycho.
Ryan
Jan 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Very funny, although not nearly as good as later strips. Commentary is the main draw (and source of amusement). It was like opening up a time capsule for gaming news/events and taking a good trip down memory lane.
Rhys Clarke
Aug 17, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Liquid awesome. Distilled into a book. It was even bought and delivered by a hot chick ;-) I'll be in nerd overload for a while.... So many memories, putting Diablo down my pants, my hand smellng like poop, growth potential of my wang.. or was that the comic? I can't tell anymore..
Brian
Jan 22, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Can I really rate my adolescence? Yes. Yes, I can.
Mike
Oct 24, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor, comics, books-i-own
Great webcomic about the big inside joke that is the world of video games. Each book in this series is better than the last.
Sean
Nov 22, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Although the comics are online, they are all great. Plus here, some good commentary is done. Very good for gamers that are in need of some nostalgia (like remember Bleem!).
Cameron
Jun 18, 2007 rated it really liked it
Yeah, So I'm a Penny Arcade junkie. What can I say? If you're a gamer you probably know about it, if you're not you probably wouldn't get it...
Ariel
Mar 22, 2007 rated it really liked it
What could make a comic book compendium sell when all the comics are, for the most part, free on the web? Commentary on every strip! I love commentary! I ate this book up like candy.
Ross
Jan 02, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2008, comics
It's fun to remember the good old days when all they talked about was Tribes 2.
Jaz
Jan 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
My first foray into the realm of gamer geekdom. Outcome? I loved it!
  • The Most Dangerous Game: A Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal Collection
  • Invasion (The Secret World Chronicles #1)
  • xkcd: volume 0
  • Signal to Noise
  • Megatokyo, Volume 1
  • Questionable Content, Vol. 2
  • Wizzywig: Portrait of a Serial Hacker
  • Doctor Who: A Fairytale Life
  • Pirate Cinema
  • On the Origin of PCs (The Order of the Stick, #0)
  • Another Day in Cubicle Paradise
  • Doctor Who Series 2 Volume 2: When Worlds Collide
  • Doctor Who: Series III, Vol. 1: Hypothetical Gentleman
  • The Girl Who Loved Doctor Who
  • Doctor Who: Series 2: Volume 4: As Time Goes By
Keith Gerald "Jerry" Holkins is the writer of the webcomic Penny Arcade. Holkins goes by the pseudonym "Tycho Brahe." This is also the name of one of the two main characters of Penny Arcade, who is a cartoonized self-insertion of Holkins. However, as the character of Tycho was not originally meant to represent Holkins, the two have few physical similarities; for example Holkins is bald, unlike Tyc ...more

Penny Arcade (9 books)
  • Epic Legends of the Magic Sword Kings (Penny Arcade, #2)
  • The Warsun Prophecies (Penny Arcade, #3)
  • Penny Arcade Volume 4: Birds Are Weird