Start by marking “Epic Legends of the Magic Sword Kings (Penny Arcade, #2)” as Want to Read:
Epic Legends of the Magic Sword Kings (Penny Arcade, #2)

Epic Legends of the Magic Sword Kings

(Penny Arcade #2)

Published August 22nd 2006 by Dark Horse (first published August 16th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Epic Legends of the Magic Sword Kings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Epic Legends of the Magic Sword Kings

Evgeny
Jun 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
This book is very similar to the first one, Penny Arcade Volume 1: Attack of the Bacon Robots. For my review all I have to do is to copy and paste my review for the first book with some minor adjustments.

First of all, a disclaimer: if you do not know that it is, this is most probably not for you. The comics deal with issues of gaming, mostly computer and console. Penny Arcade is very well known in these circles, which means that even if you have a passing interest in the subject you must have he
Tung
Jan 09, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Unless you are a major geek like me, you have no idea what Penny Arcade is. If you do know what Penny Arcade is, you will have probably already read these four books. Penny Arcade is one of the most-read online comics, especially for video game enthusiasts. If you play videogames or even create videogames or work in an industry related to videogames, you read Penny Arcade as a matter of course. Where ESPN is the daily stop for sports fans, Penny Arcade is the daily stop for video game enthusiast ...more
N.
Jan 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Yep. More of the same. Feel free to check my review for the first volume if you need information from me.

Other than that, I had just checked the Penny Arcade website. And when did those guys draw Tycho and Gabe with get brown wedge noses? It's visually weird, like nearly each panel has them with a face like this one smilie face. :^u

To finish this compliment sandwich in between the weird bitter lettuce bits, I'll compliment the cover art. It's stylish. And I like that they went with their origina
Tim Gray
Aug 01, 2017 rated it liked it
I count myself as really quite geeky - but I'm clearly not geeky in the right areas (computer games) to fully enjoy this (bought in a bundle with some dork towers) - however I enjoyed the film and RPG references enough to believe if you do like computer games, you'll probably enjoy this a lot!
I.D.
Aug 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
If you were there at the time, this’ll bring back memories. They were really starting to hit their stride here and a few all time classics are contained within.
Chris
May 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
More funny PA comics, and also selected posts from the website and some examples of their other comics projects.
Matt
Jan 03, 2015 rated it liked it

Some background: PA is a comic strip generally about two characters, Gabe and Tycho, who like to play video games. They are the alter-egos of the writer and artist, Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins, respectively. Comic archetypes, one plays the more down-to-earth straight man, while the other is a clown, though the characters are versatile enough that the roles are often reversed. They make dry jokes with impeccable comic timing (seriously, if a joke seems bad or generic here, look at the delive
Brenton
Aug 31, 2009 rated it really liked it
Holkins and Krahulik continue their crusade to bring down the immodest giants of the video gaming industry with their scathing and precisely delivered comic strips.

This second volume collects strips from 2001 and also includes other early non-PA comic enterprises from the duo and several news post threads from the keyboard of Holkins that chronicle the more memorable events of that year. Unfortunately, this means that none of the original news posts about the comics themselves are included, whic
Matija
Since both Gabe's art and Tycho's writing improve nicely in this second tome, featuring collected strips from the year 2001, and the inclusion of the occasional original post from the website ups on the hilarity, I was going to give this one four stars.

But then again, a quarter of the book is dedicated to showing the images of some card game they did. Now don't get me wrong, the art is great, but nearly forty pages dedicated to this in a 160 page book, without any commentary whatsoever, is a bi
Ambassador
May 05, 2015 marked it as to-read
Verily, the heroes of Penny Arcade return in the second volume of valiant chivalric deeds of brave heroism, heroic gallantry and gallant bravery! Forsooth! Sir Gabe and Sir Tycho return in Epic Legends of the Magic Sword Kings! Collecting all the Penny Arcade strips posted online from 2001 and 2002, Volume 2 includes creator commentary, a sketchbook section and an introduction from somebody sort of famous! If you haven't heard of Penny Arcade, the most poplular online comic ever, it might not be ...more
Billy
Mar 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Book 2 looks at the web comics from Penny Arcade 2001. It really is a great time capsule, perhaps more important than the content and commentary of the strip itself. It is interesting to see how some issues never change (use of gaming as scapegoat for violence) and how views have evolved ("This game is absolute <>: Halo"). I laughed just thinking about the Duke, the GBA without backlighting, the waning days of Dreamcast. It's amazing to think where the PA guys started, where the web was, a ...more
Joshua Zucker
Mar 20, 2013 rated it it was ok
I'm not quite sure why I finished this thing. Maybe because it was short enough that having started it made sense to finish. There were definitely a handful of laugh-out-loud moments, but mostly I think my conclusion is that Penny Arcade is just not meant to be read in large gulps, but rather sampled one day at a time.

Also I think both the art and the writing have progressed a lot in the past decade. I find the average strip of theirs a lot more visually engaging and a lot funnier nowadays.
Dan
Jun 30, 2013 rated it liked it
More hilarity from Jerry Holkins and Mike Krahulik. Like Attack of the Bacon Robots, Epic Legends of the Magic Sword Kings contains a heaping helping of sardonic wit and biting satire aimed at the gaming industry, gamers, game culture, pop culture, and anything else that finds its way under Holkins and Krahulik's critical eye. Often vulgar, these jibes sting only because they hit close to the truth; however, they remind us how important it is to be able to laugh at ourselves.
Holden Attradies
Apr 21, 2012 rated it it was ok
I'm glad I tried the second volume of this series. The art work and jokes improve a TON over the first volume, and I found myself not wanting to put it down as I read. I still didn't get a lot of the jokes being that I haven't played every single game on every single system that's come out in the last 20 years, but when I could follow what was going on I enjoyed it, enough to go a head and get the third volume.
Marcelo Sanchez
Oct 20, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comic, humor, humblebundle
Many of the jokes are still hard to get, and the explanation helps but doesn't take out the feeling of "You had to be there". But it certainly improves over the first volume.
The boneyard, the illustrations at the end and the blog stories add a lot more to the book.
Still not good for introducing somebody to the series, but it's way better than a copy-paste from the archives with added comentary.
Andreas
Jun 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
The web published comic strip Penny Arcade should be familiar to anyone who likes video games. These books collect the strips in paper format. Holkins and Krahulik have made a name for themselves as the guys with their fingers on the jugular of the industry. Sometimes bizarre, often profane, always funny. Highly recommended if you are or have been a gamer. Others may find it more than a bit odd.

Saretta
3.5/5

Cambiamento - e miglioramento - dei disegni rispetto al precedente volume, questa volta avevo più riferimenti per capire le vignette, anche se non per tutte.

---

Change - and improvement - in the drawings with respect to the Penny Arcade 1, this time I understood more references, even if not for the whole book.
Dan
Aug 13, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2008, comics
Some of my all-time favorite strips are in this collection: Gabe having strange dreams about Spider-Man, ripping on all things X-Box, DDR ("Tell him he's all the way live.") and perhaps the one I've quoted the most, "The I To The C To The O" (it really helps if ou've played ICO, but still...)

Arensb
I got about halfway through this collection and put it down. Even setting aside the strips about games that I'm not familiar with, or gaming industry drama that I don't remember, the remaining nuggets of humor are just not funny enough to be worth slogging through the rest.
The art continues to improve. I'm afraid I can't say as much for the writing.
Adam
Dec 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was a great read of how gaming was back in the day. It brought back memories of how the gaming community was and reminded me of old games that I had forgotten about. The comics are funny due to me living through that period, maybe the younger crowd will have trouble trying to understand the jokes. Overall a great read.
Burt
Sep 27, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: PA Fans, Gamers
Shelves: graphicnovel, humor
There's not much else to really outline that wasn't said already in the first of the reviews of The Attack of the Bacon Robots. The art does however start to make subtle shifts in this volume. It's still a far cry from the standard it reaches today, but gets better with every panel. If memory serves, the watch gag starts in this one.
Ponsius Odaga
Jan 05, 2014 rated it liked it
This was much better than the first volume. The art improved as did the writing and all the bonus content at the end made it way better.
Schnaucl
Jan 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
I continue to be amused and entertained. I think I understood more of the references this time. I particularly enjoyed the addition of some of the posts that originally accompanied the comics.
Meg
Dec 23, 2007 rated it really liked it
When I turned this back in at work today, my boss just looked at me like, "Um. What exactly is this?"

Heh.
Ross
Jan 02, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2008, comics
Guys. Remember when the Xbox controller was SO FREAKING BIG? HA! Good times.
Cyber Killer
Oct 17, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
I guess it's just not my kind of humor, I enjoyed the artbook part at the end though.
Boulder Boulderson
Apr 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The year 2001, in Penny Arcade form. Includes some original newsposts, from the time. Great for fans.
Matt Mazenauer
Jul 10, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: signed
Some of my favorite strips are here, really some classics. And, I think the commentary has pepped up, because they no longer need to explain the process, and now just sit back and crack jokes.
terpkristin
Dec 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012, beach-books, kindle
Nothing to say that I haven't said about the other PA books. Love 'em, guess I've gotta get the rest...
Mike
Oct 24, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor, comics, books-i-own
Great webcomic about the big inside joke that is the world of video games. Each book in this series is better than the last.
  • The Most Dangerous Game: A Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal Collection
  • Invasion (The Secret World Chronicles #1)
  • xkcd: volume 0
  • Signal to Noise
  • Questionable Content, Vol. 3
  • Pirate Cinema
  • Wizzywig: Portrait of a Serial Hacker
  • Megatokyo, Volume 1
  • War and XPs (The Order of the Stick, #3)
  • Stranger Things Happen
  • The Perry Bible Fellowship Almanack
  • The Happiest Days of Our Lives
  • Girls With Slingshots, Vol. 2
  • Another Day in Cubicle Paradise
  • Broodhollow Book 1: Curious Little Thing (Broodhollow, #1)
Keith Gerald "Jerry" Holkins is the writer of the webcomic Penny Arcade. Holkins goes by the pseudonym "Tycho Brahe." This is also the name of one of the two main characters of Penny Arcade, who is a cartoonized self-insertion of Holkins. However, as the character of Tycho was not originally meant to represent Holkins, the two have few physical similarities; for example Holkins is bald, unlike Tyc ...more

Penny Arcade (9 books)
  • Attack of the Bacon Robots! (Penny Arcade, #1)
  • The Warsun Prophecies (Penny Arcade, #3)
  • Penny Arcade Volume 4: Birds Are Weird