Start by marking “Dancing Up A Storm: 9 Christian Short Stories” as Want to Read:
Dancing Up A Storm: 9 Christian Short Stories

Dancing Up A Storm: 9 Christian Short Stories

A boxed set / anthology featuring the winners of the 2015 "Storming the Short Story" contest, which was hosted by The Woodlands (Texas) chapter of the American Christian Fiction Writers (ACFW).

Table of Contents:

“When I'm Gone” by Angela K. Couch
First Place Romance
Summer 1942. Just before the competition that could launch their careers as professional ballroom dancers, Elai
Published February 15th 2016 by HopeSprings Books

To ask other readers questions about Dancing Up A Storm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dancing Up A Storm

Judith
Feb 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Dancing Up A Storm: 9 Christian Short Stories offers nine unique and well written stories: two romances, four contemporaries, and three speculatives.

My personal preference runs to the romances and romantic contemporary stories. When I’m Gone, Dancing in the Rain, Dancing Hands, Teething Troubles, and Fred and Ginger fall into those two categories. Each writer had a unique voice, believable characters, and a plot that moved well, some with a twist or two. I found them delightful. The other con
Melissa Henderson
Feb 03, 2016 rated it liked it
This collection of 9 Christian Short Stories has something to offer for everyone. Each author gives a unique story that involves faith and "dance". My favorite story is "Dancing Hands" by Derinda Babcock, in which a deaf man and a hearing woman connect through dance and emotions. This book is a quick read and easy to follow. These stories have won awards.
Ann
Feb 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a collection of stories written by the finalists of a short story writing contest, and it is a wonderful collection of short stories that I thoroughly enjoyed. The stories cover a variety of genres so there is something included for any reader. It is a quick and easy read and each story, though different, is a wonderful story of faith and a reminder that even during the storms there is a reason to dance. I was given a copy of this collection in return for an honest review.
Linda Rainey
Jan 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Sit down in your favorite chair with your favorite beverage and watch these authors dance up a storm in this anthology of Christian short stories.
I enjoyed the stories, that covered a variety of genres all faith based.
A copy of this book was given in exchange for an honest review.
Julia
Feb 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
When I'm Gone by Angela K Couch is set in 1942 America. It's a sweet story set over the two and a half weeks before James has to leave for the draft. The reader can really empathise with James dancing partner Lainy as she goes through conflicting emotions. Through it all God is faithful.
Dancing In The Rain by Marion Ueckermann is a wonderful story set in South Africa about the preparations for Noah and Mirabelle's wedding. The reader can sense their excitement and shares their fears. Superstitio
Sharon Dean
Feb 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
“Dancing Up A Storm: 9 Christian Short Stories”
By: 9 Incredible Christian Authors

9 Authors have set out to give us heartwarming, emotional stories that remind us that God never gives us more than we can handle nor does He give us what we cannot handle. All because He is with us all the way!

This collection of short stories are packed with emotions and powerful heartfelt love that only God can provide us. Each story reminded me that I can handle more than I think I can. Keep Him close to me and I
Linda Van
Feb 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Nine Christian fiction short stories in a collection. Fun, entertaining and inspirational. The first two, WHEN I’M GONE and DANCING IN THE RAIN were in the romance genre, and being a tom-boy I couldn’t get into them, but romance fans will enjoy them.
The four stories in the contemporary genre were my favorites. In TEETHING TROUBLES Elizabeth Pina made everyday family scenes come alive and grab my attention. The strength of FRED AND GINGER was in the brilliantly developed characters, drawing me
Renate
Feb 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Dancing Up a Storm is an eclectic romantic mix from both male and female romance writers weaving a common thread “I have not given you the spirit of fear, but of power and love” and a common motif - dance. The romances are broad in setting from historical, to contemporary and speculative.

While most romance short stories discuss the theme fear of love or commitment, these short stories explore the motif of dance in intriguing ways. Is dancing in the rain on your wedding day - good or bad luck fo
Sharon Frankel
Jan 30, 2016 rated it liked it
I am not generally a reader of fiction, but I read this anthology of nine short stories in one evening and enjoyed it immensely. The stories varied from romance to science fiction to fantasy and a few areas in-between, appealing to a broad spectrum of people.

“Dancing Hands” by Deride Babcock drew me into the world of deaf culture; “The Last Waltz” by Toby Quirk brought me back to my hippie sixties; and “The Dance of the Light Brigade” by Steve Hooley catapulted me into outer space. These were m
Sally
Feb 15, 2016 rated it liked it
This is a collection of 9 short stories featuring the finalists in the 2015 "Storming the Short Story" contest from The Woodlands (Texas) chapter of the ACFW. Each is an entertaining and inspiring Christian story built, some quite cleverly, around a dancing theme. The very first story "When I'm Gone", a romance set during WW2, became a favorite as did "The Confession", a moving collection of letters written on paper scraps as a Speculative story. Both of Steve Hooley's stories made my favorite's ...more
Judith W
Feb 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Overall, I thought the individual stories in the book Dancing Up A Storm, a collection of nine Christian short stories, were well written, followed the Dancing theme, and with the exception of one, intertwined the Christian beliefs of the characters through out the stories. I generally enjoyed reading most of the stories, although three of the nine were not my genre of choice and would not have completed reading had I not committed to review....i.e. Fairytale, Sci Fi, and futuristic genres.
My fa
Joyful
Feb 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
These 9 Christian Short Stories are unique stories by different authors with a story that involves faith and "dance". My favorite story is Dancing In The Rain Dancing Hands, and Fred and Ginger. This book is a quick read and easy to follow. These stories all have won awards. I received a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.
Leia Landrock
Feb 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
My life has been very hectic lately, and I haven't had the time or attention span to devote myself to full sized books like I used to be able to do. But, I still desired good fiction to unwind to at the end of the day. A friend recommended this set to me and it was a real treat.

I read one story a night and I regret that I am done now. I really enjoyed them and wish there was more!

Based on the cover, I expected only an anthology of short romance novels. But, I was greatly (and pleasantly) surpr
Debbie
Feb 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
1. When I'm Gone: Elaine and James story is remarkable but sad. After years of practicing together their world falls apart right before their big day. The author has you interested from page one to the end.
2. Dancing In The Rain: Watching Mirabelle and Noah plan their wedding with his mother will have you smiling. This is a very cute story from being to the end.
3. First Place Contemporary Dancing Hands: Morgan and Toby's story is amazing. Morgan couldn't stand the way people acted around Toby. T
Jessica Dowell
Feb 02, 2016 rated it liked it
I received a complimentary copy of this book from the Publisher in exchange for my honest review. Dancing Up a Storm is a sweet anthology of short stories. Each of the stories contained dancing as a major or minor part of the plot. It was interesting to see how the different authors included this theme in their stories. There is a lot of variety in the stories, which I appreciated. In addition to the varied genres, it contains stories with characters you don't normally see. Dancing Hands is abou ...more
Dawn
A collection of nine Christian short stories that are built around the theme of dancing. These are the winners from a contest that the publisher held.

My thoughts:
For the most part, I enjoyed these stories. I loved how each author chose to use the theme of dancing in a different way. Some used it in a literal sense as in the characters were dancing while others used it in a more metaphorical sense as in the characters had to decide whether or not to do the right thing. There is something for ever
Lee
Feb 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great collection of short stories, many of them very inspiring. The first few stories were beautiful romances, and I especially enjoyed the story of Mirabelle and her wedding, where she worried about it raining on her wedding day, and she discovers what really matters. "The Confession" made a strong impression on me, with Christine, a journalist, jailed and persecuted for her faith. It was intense, the letters she wrote home to her beloved, Jon-Michael, as she prepared to die. And in a ...more
Linda
Feb 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love themed anthologies. When I received a complimentary copy of "Dancing Up A Storm: 9 Christian Short Stories" from the Publisher in exchange for my honest review I was elated. The nine stories in this genre array included two romances, four contemporaries, and three speculatives. Each story followed the "dance" theme, yet were uniquely different and compelling. I related to three of the stories immediately because of my life experiences. That was extraordinary. I didn't expect to appreciate ...more
Claire
Feb 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This collection of Christian short stories revolves around the themes of faith and dance and is a smorgasbord of styles and genres ranging from romance to social commentary to science fiction. From laughter to tears, past to future, and earth to beyond, these writers took me on some wonderful journeys. Of particular enjoyment were "When I'm Gone" by Angela Couch which brought back memories of my parents and Toby Quirk's "The Last Waltz" which brought back memories of my own past. All in all, it ...more
Teresa Kander
Feb 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian
I look forward to reading this anthology every year. Last year the stories were all about storms, and this year they are all based on the theme of dancing. There are a variety of genres, with a little something for everyone.

This year's collection made it very difficult for me to pick favorites...nearly all of them were my favorites, which I am sure speaks to the quality of the winning writers. I do have to admit, however, that "Teething Troubles" is the one story I have read more than once.

**I
Ryan Gilmer
Feb 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this anthology of award winning Christian fiction authors. The stories are easy to follow and read, yet each provides a theme with enough depth for thoughtful reflection. The length of the stories makes it easy to finish a couple in one sitting.

The spiritual themes are obvious, Scripture is quoted and reflected on, and characters use their faith to interpret their situations. Christian readers will certainly enjoy this book.

If you enjoy fiction short stories, you will definitely enjoy
Rhonda Farrell
Feb 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading each short story in this collection. The main thing they all had in common was dancing. It was interesting to read how each author took that one common theme and created a unique story. This was a nice break from my normal reading of a 300 page or more book. I felt like this is a good mixture of stories to satisfy the heart and mind of all who read it. I received a copy of this book in exchange of an honest review.
Heather Brown
Feb 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
I found it interesting to see the different interpretation of each author on the theme of " dancing " . In general I do not enjoy Fantasy or Sci Fi genres and this book was no exception. I did, however, find all the stories easy to read and being South African related most to " Dancing in the Rain" as it was set in this country. I was disappointed in most of the stories at the lack of Christian content and challenge to live the Christian life.
Ed Schrock
Feb 16, 2016 marked it as to-read
If you enjoy short stories with a strong punch as well as a good message, here’s a book for you. These stories bear messages that will stay with you for a long, long time, bringing you strength and warmth.
Populated with characters with whom we mingle and worry and live our lives, these tales become our biographies.
Deanna Stevens
Feb 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-read
From romance to science fiction to fantasy I think you will find this book one that you will enjoy.. I like all Christian fiction genre and I found it all in this book. What a diversity of Christian Short Stories. I liked that they all were the authors unique way of "Dancing" Up A Storm! Perfect name for this collection. Thanks to the publisher for providing this complimentary copy in exchange for an honest review.
Wilani Wahl
Feb 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a collection of nine short stories. They cover several genres--some of which were my cup of tea and some were not. But even the ones that were not my cup of tea were well written so feel the book still earned a five star rating. Most of these I will want to read again. They did have some awesome spiritual threads in them.
Debbie
Mar 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Dancing Up A Storm": 9 Christian Short Stories is a collection on nine short stories that are about dancing. I really enjoyed reading these stories. I hope this isn't a spoiler alert but all the stories end on a happy note, yes the pun is intended. At first some of the stories don't seem to be happy stories at all but I really encourage you to keep reading.
There was one story "Night Dance" that I am not sure should have been included in a Christian collection, I say this because it was about elv
Diane E.
Mar 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Dancing Up a Storm is a delightful metaphor used in these stories both literally as well as figuratively for living a life. The 9 short stories are populated with characters who are engaging, warm, and Christian people. The situations are realistic, humorous at times, and entertaining. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this set of stories.
I was provided a copy of the book to be an early reviewer.
Chuck Stecker
Feb 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Dancing Up a Storm is a very delightful read with stories for nearly every reader. Each of the authors wrote form a different style and yet all the stories blended with a wonderful flow. From military to romantic, the book is refreshing and worth the time to read and enjoy.
Diginee