Start by marking “A Menagerie of Mysterious Beasts: Encounters with Cryptid Creatures” as Want to Read:
A Menagerie of Mysterious Beasts: Encounters with Cryptid Creatures

A Menagerie of Mysterious Beasts: Encounters with Cryptid Creatures

Draw Back the Curtain and Marvel at the Amazing Collection of Mysterious Beasts Within

Join cryptozoologist Ken Gerhard on an enigmatic journey through the world of mysterious beasts, exploring eyewitness encounters with creatures thought to exist only in myths and legends. This compelling compendium presents a wide variety of astounding and bizarre creatures, from the M
Published September 8th 2016 by Llewellyn Publications

To ask other readers questions about A Menagerie of Mysterious Beasts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Menagerie of Mysterious Beasts

Dannii Elle
I received this book on a read to review basis from NetGalley. Thank you to the author, Ken Gerhard, and the publisher, Llewellyn Publications, for the opportunity.

This was such an interesting little non-fiction read that was not at all what I was expecting. I had assumed, given the title, that this would detail the myths surrounding mystical beasts such as unicorns and werewolves. Instead, it gave brief accounts of reported sightings of these unexplained creatures including snippets of intervi
Bruce Gargoyle
I received a copy of this title from the publisher via Netgalley.

DNF at 12%

Ten Second Synopsis:
A collection of the author's own encounters and research on a range of cryptids. Includes witness accounts and case studies of the same.

If you are a fan of monster-hunting, or just have an interest in mythical creatures that may (or may not) walk (or crawl or slither or swim) among us, then this will provide an irrepressible outlet for your interest. I DNFed th
Sabrina Bright
Jan 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the book. However, it lost me the last couple chapters. This book is informative and really makes you think!
Michael Streadwick
Same old same old

A rehash of interesting creatures with not much depth or substance. Not much new here but was fine for a casual read.
Donna Maguire
I have read quite a few books that cover mysterious beasts following me developing a fascination with the Loch Ness Monster after several visits to the Highlands of Scotland. This book was easy to read and follow and I enjoyed the different encounters and the descriptions given. Enjoyable read for me - 4 stars, just wish there were some photos or a few images to illustrate the sightings and what people saw
Chris Bauer
Jan 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Ken Gerhard does a great job of introducing readers to an intriguing array of "cryptobeasts" in "A Menageire of Mysterious Beasts" and I enjoyed several aspects of his methodical approach.

Each chapter focuses on a different "species" of beast - and goes into good detail on each, rife with incidents and anecdotes. I found it to be entertaining.

I really appreciated his personal experiences in the field and as a youth. I remember as a kid being fascinated by the Minnesota Ic
Osbian Night
Aug 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Really good.
I liked that Gerhard goes into detail in describing the creatures and doesn't just rely on pictures.
He also relates how he heard and felt about the creatures, including the odd childhood story, yet still keeps it factual by giving evidence for what he knows.
I'll admit I only ended up interested in a few of the beasts mentioned - Werewolves, dragons, black eyed children and the Thunderbird (thanks to Harry Potter on the last one) - but the other creatures were interesting too.
George Miller
Oct 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Worth reading if your into Cryptids

Most books on the unknown disappoint me. They never offer any solid evidence and leave many questions unanswered this book is no different but the author offers many new stories.

I was attracted to this book by an appearance by the author on Coast To Coast AM. I'm not sorry I bought it. It's an interesting read.
Patricia
Mar 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Ken is a Cryptozoologist and he knows his stuff. Great book; good writing and good "cryptid telling".
Jessica
Kara
Aug 15, 2019
Carla
Jan 13, 2017
Ken Gerhard is a professional monster hunter and has investigated reports of mysterious beasts around the world including Bigfoot, the Loch Ness Monster, the Chupacabra, giant winged creatures like Mothman and Thunderbirds and even werewolves.

In addition to appearing in three episodes of the television series Monster Quest (History Channel), Texan Cryptozoologist Ken Gerhard is feature