Start by marking “Reanimatrix” as Want to Read:
Reanimatrix

Reanimatrix

An obsessed detective on the trail on a murdered young woman finds more than he bargained for in this tale of hard-boiled cosmic horror, an inventive mash-up of the pulp detective story and Lovecraftian terror.

Some say the war drove Robert Peaslee mad. Others suggest that given what happened to his father, madness was inevitable. He’s spent years trying to forget the monst
Published October 18th 2016 by Night Shade

To ask other readers questions about Reanimatrix, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reanimatrix

Mogsy (MMOGC)
3 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2016/10/14/...

Make no mistake, Lovecraft-inspired stories are a real hot thing right now and I am gobbling it all up. This year the types of Lovecraftian fiction I’ve already read have ranged from bloody gorefests to dark comedies, and there just seems to be a style for every persuasion. And if your tastes happen to run in the direction of weird fiction and pulp noir, then Reanimatrix is sure to make you very, very happy.

Unfolding throu
Shadowdenizen
3.5 stars.
Crittermom
Jul 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Lovecraft and pulp detective fiction - both fun on their own, but infinitely better together.  Reanimatrix is an enthralling read with just enough horror to send tingles down your spine.  Don’t be put out if horror isn’t your genre - there isn’t a lot of gore.  There are zombies of a sort, as the reanimated dead play a major role in this captivating pulp fantasy but the explanation for their existence/activities is well done.

The story is told in diary entries, alternating between the two lea
Orrin Grey
Aug 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Full review coming soon!
Bryan Brown
Apr 07, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
DNF

The cover looks like a pulp and kind of cool. I think I bought it on the strength of the art work. But the story is disjointed and confusing. It's all told from journal entries, and letters to other random people, and articles and stuff.

I couldn't finish it. I couldn't enjoy it. I couldn't care any less about this book. Shame, I wanted it to be fun like the artwork.

Brannigan
Previously Published at TheQwillery.com

Reanimatrix is a genre-blending thrill ride. Pete Rawlik mixed Lovecraft with pulp fiction detective mystery with romance. It's post World War I and the two main characters are Robert Peaslee and Megan Halsey. They both grew up in Arkham, Mass. Robert was in the war, where he saw his first signs of otherworldly power. After the war he spent time as an agent traveling Europe. It's here he hears about Megan's murder and decides to make his way back home to so
Matthew Davenport
Oct 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Reanimatrix is the third in a series of books written by Peter Rawlik that focuses on a world that Peter has built out of H.P. Lovecraft’s works focused around the story Herbert West: Reanimator. In the previous stories in Rawlik’s world, he’s introduced his own reanimators and several other characters, but weaves them into the Lovecraft mythos flawlessly so that you can see exactly where these characters are even when you’re just reading Lovecraft’s stories. He fills the gaps, so to say, and he ...more
Jason Williams
Jul 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Entertaining approach to the standard Cthulhu mythos investigation story.

Lots of familiar characters worked into the storyline with ties to most of the major stories of H.P. Lovecraft.

I was amused to see at one point a number of familiar names worked into the story such as Pulver.

Much of the action within the book reminds me of various situations that arise within the Call of Cthulhu role playing game from Chaosium.

If you are a fan of the investigation/detective approach to the mythos, you will
Ryan
Mar 29, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Overall, this was a pretty entertaining mix of Lovecraftian horror and pulp detective mystery. Rawlik managed to *perfectly* capture the aesthetics of Lovecraft's style, free of any of the baggage that the original stories contain. The opening was a bit rough - the story meanders a lot and it takes nearly the first third of the book to find its groove - but once it finds the story becomes a lot of fun.

The one real downside I would say the story has is that it's so full of obvious Easter eggs (re
Subdued Reader
I think I need to re-read it, but while I appreciated the references to seemingly hard boiled detective such as Charlie Chan, Philo Vance or Nick Charles, some HG Welles stories, and the fact that he got Herbert West's hair color right (blond, no offense to Jeffrey Combs), I found the way the stories were (not) linked to be awkward and confusing. It seemed like there were effectively were at least 3 different stories that weren't really concluded in any real fashion, which is frustrating because ...more
Peter Söderström
Nov 30, 2017 rated it liked it
The first half of the book felt like a collection of short stories, although with the same protagonist, and left me wanting more depth. This part, to me, was almost enough for me to lose interest.

The second half felt completely different, some stories where still more or less standalone but there was a clear meta story as well. Had the entire book been like this I would not have hesitated to rate it a 4.
Frederick Allen
May 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Pete Rawlik's Reanimatrix is an interesting romp through Lovecraftian Horror. The novel is a single story, although told from different views a la Dracula, circling around both the Reanimator and The Dunwich Horror. Unfortunately, Pete Rawlik is not Lovecraft and lacks a small amount of the oppressive description which has made Lovecraft a favorite of the genre. Having said that, it is still a fun time and worth the read.
David Hollen
Apr 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So much fun to read!

While this book uses some of the same stories from his book Reanimators, I think this is the stronger narrative. It really is a fun retelling and reweaving of several Lovecraft tales. I love how Rawlik creates a New England nightmare from so many desparate parts, much like the experiments performed by the reanimators in the stories themselves. I had a good time reading this book
Caroline Ingvaldsen
Jun 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Extraordinarily imaginative re-deployment of a cavalcade of heroes and villains from modern literary fantasy distinguished by graphic sexuality and violence.
Pdendrijver
Dec 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Nothing deep, nothing that hasn't been done before, but an excellent and thoroughly enjoyable hommage to Lovecraft, with a lot of hints and references to his stories, locations and characters.

Arlomisty
Pretty good book... lots of mystery and horror... fun read...
Mike
Feb 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
"Reanimatrix," by Pete Rawlik, is an interesting and deeply post-modern take on the Cthulhu Mythos of H.P. Lovecraft. Only someone who is a true fan of Lovecraft's work could craft a tale (told in a series of letters and diary/journal entries--a.k.a. the "epistolary" form of novel, which is not often used these days) like "Reanimatrix."

There were times when I wanted to give this book far less than the four stars I ended up giving it--and there were times I wanted to give it five stars and tell a
Teresa
Mar 15, 2018
Bob Milne
Oct 28, 2016 added it
Shelves: dnf
This one probably falls a bit too heavily on the pulp detective side for my tastes, and the old epistolary format rarely works for me, but the Lovecraftian horror aspects were fantastic. I enjoyed parts of it, and would recommend it to anybody with a taste for weird detective stories, but I think I could have enjoyed it a lot more were the narrative more straightforward/traditional.
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Best Science Fiction of the Year: Volume Two (The Best Science Fiction of the Year, #2)
  • Dance of the Damned
  • Hitchers
  • Witches Be Crazy: A Tale That Happened Once Upon a Time in the Middle of Nowhere
  • The Best Horror of the Year Volume One
  • Starr Creek
  • Entropy in Bloom: Stories
  • The Amulet (The Midnight Eye Files Book 1)
  • The Horror on the Links (The Complete Tales of Jules de Grandin, #1)
  • I Am Providence
  • The Book of Cthulhu II
  • Predator: If It Bleeds
  • Death Shall Come
  • Disciples of Cthulhu
  • Sword & Mythos
  • A Song for Quiet (Persons Non Grata, #2)
  • Sherlock Holmes vs. Cthulhu: The Adventure of the Deadly Dimensions (Sherlock Holmes vs. Cthulhu #1)
  • Baltic Gambit (Vampire Earth, #11)
Pete Rawlik is a frequent contributor to the Lovecraft ezine and the New York Review of Science Fiction