Start by marking “The Yellow Wall-Paper” as Want to Read:
The Yellow Wall-Paper

The Yellow Wall-Paper

4.11  ·  Rating details ·  60,922 Ratings  ·  2,932 Reviews
‘It is stripped off - the paper - in great patches . . . The colour is repellent . . . In the places where it isn’t faded and where the sun is just so - I can see a strange, provoking, formless sort of figure, that seems to skulk about . . .’

Based on the author’s own experiences, 'The Yellow Wallpaper' is the chilling tale of a woman driven to the brink of insanity by the
Published September 1st 1996 by The Feminist Press at CUNY (first published January 1892)

To ask other readers questions about The Yellow Wall-Paper, please sign up.

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Krystl Aside for the things in the other comments, there is the much broader issues around the infantilisation of inherent subjugation of women in that…moreAside for the things in the other comments, there is the much broader issues around the infantilisation of inherent subjugation of women in that period (and, arguably, still today, to differing extents). This is shown by his comments such as referring to her as his little girl etc. The afterword in my copy, by Elaine R. Hedges, does a superb job at answering your question. I highly recommend getting a copy with that in.(less)
Michelle Milburn This is based on the authors experiences as a patient suffereing from depression. She was apparently only allowed 2 hours of mental exercise per day…moreThis is based on the authors experiences as a patient suffereing from depression. She was apparently only allowed 2 hours of mental exercise per day which almost drove her insane. As she came out of her depression she embellished and exaggerated the experiences she had and wrote The Yellow Wallpaper.(less)

Jeffrey Keeten
Jun 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, gothic
”If a physician of high standing, and one’s own husband, assures friends and relatives that there is really nothing the matter with one but temporary nervous depression---a slight hysterical tendency---what is one to do?”

Well, one must quit being a silly goose and get better.

The baby is fine; thank goodness, the baby is fine. It is safe, safe in another room. Away from the horrid yellow wallpaper. This wallpaper is an artistic monstrosity, an assault on the senses. It is so yellow it reeks of..
Khanh (the meanie)
If a physician of high standing, and one's own husband, assures friends and relatives that there is really nothing the matter with one but temporary nervous depression—a slight hysterical tendency—what is one to do?
This may not be a ghost story, but it is a tale of horror just the same. The most frightening books do not make me cower underneath my covers in the dark. They give the feeling of despair, they make the reader empathize with the darkness and emotional turmoil of the narrator. They
Brina
Apr 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Yellow Wall Paper by Charlotte Perkins Gilman written in 1892 is considered a story that is a leading feminist view about a woman's place in a traditional marriage during that time period. Gilman herself was an intellectual voice and staunch supporter of women's rights in marriage. Most leading magazines refused to publish this story and it was lost for many years. Once recovered, it has become an often talked about story in many literary anthologies.

The protagonist of this story is taken t
Cecily

"My wallpaper and I are fighting a duel to the death. One or the other of us has to go."
Oscar Wilde’s alleged final words.

International Women’s Day is perfect for reviewing this chilling short story, written by a utopian feminist in 1890. (Yes, I opened with Wilde, but I couldn’t resist, and he was also a victim of sexually-related prejudice.)

The Story

John’s wife. Jennie’s sister-in-law. A baby’s mother. She is anonymous. She writes furtively.

She is physically and mentally weak from “temporar
Bookdragon Sean
Here follows the diary of a moronic Victorian husband.

>Three days before treatment:

I’ve got a great idea. My wife is suffering from low mood. So I, being an extremely practical Victorian man, have decided that the best solution for the problem is to restrain her in the house. This is clearly a brilliant idea. Our marriage simply doesn’t restrain her faculties enough.

It makes sense you see. I got the idea from the prestigious Dr. Silas Mitchell. He describing what he calls his "rest cure"
Jaline
Aug 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017-completed
This is not a happy story – not even in the slightest. Our protagonist and her husband and sister-in-law are spending 3 months in a rented home during renovations of their own home. The woman recently had a baby and has not been able to recover her energy nor the will to accomplish anything. She is a writer but her husband, a physician, tells her not to write because it will only add to her fanciful state of being.

On the one hand, he is very controlling – and his wife sees that as a display of l
Lisa
“He says that with my imaginative power and habit of story-making, a nervous weakness like mine is sure to lead to all manner of excited fancies, and that I ought to use my will and good sense to check the tendency. So I try.”

Read in conjunction with Ibsen’s A Doll's House, this short story takes a darker turn than the play, refusing to offer a way out of a dilemma in 19th century traditional society.

The story of a young married woman with an infant, who is patronised and controlled by her husba
Jessica
This has got to be one of the most impressive short stories ever written, up there with the very best. Written in the late 1800's, it is surprisingly modern in its form & content. When I was an undergraduate, Charlotte Perkins Gilman was an undiscovered writer, but thankfully she's been very much discovered now: I've read her nonfiction ('Women and Economics'--very forward-thinking re: communal kitchens and daycare) and her utopian novel, 'Herland.' She also has some other terrific short sto ...more
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
The first time I read this 1892 short story, years ago, in a collection of horror stories, I thought awful and very creepy things were really happening to the main character; i.e., weird fungus-growing wallpaper and a weirder lady actually hiding in the wallpaper pattern of a young wife's room in their vacation home. <----- I was a little young and often oblivious to subtext.

On second read, it's clear that the horror is of a different sort: the main character, a young wife suffering from anxi
Jean
The Yellow Wallpaper is a short novella from 1892, which has become a classic of the genre. It is a claustrophobic depiction of what would then be described as a woman's descent into madness, but now sounds more like severe post-natal depression. The story consists of passages from a secret journal, kept by the woman, Jane, who is losing her grip on reality. The narrator is confined to the upstairs bedroom of a house by her doctor husband, John, who diagnoses a "temporary nervous depression - a ...more
J.L.   Sutton
Apr 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Yellow Wallpaper is a short but powerful masterpiece in which Charlotte Perkins Gilman offers insight into oppression and madness. It remains (despite being written in 1892) as relevant as it is haunting. Many people know the story of how Gilman's narrator is forbidden to write by her husband/doctor and fights for autonomy in the patterns of wallpaper. Liberation from his and society's oppression of women is only available in this internal struggle which ultimately leads to a mental breakdow ...more
Elyse
Aug 18, 2017 rated it it was ok
I debated about saying anything.....but here goes. Many of my favorite people love this book.

I thought this 99 cent book was odd.....even borders on being a horror story....its creepy-weird!!
Plus, right from the start -- I felt like I was reading a laundry list-- I was being talked 'at'. I found it irritating.

This is actually one of those books I wish I didn't read. I didn't like how I felt --and I don't think the book was 'that' worthy that I needed to feel so yucky after.

Read other reviews
Lynn
Jan 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I typed the title into the search just to see if it would come up. I had no idea that this was a classic work. I never could recall the author's name, but from the reviews, I can see that I am not alone in how it still sits with me decades later.

I was only 13 or 14 years old when I sat in on my aunt's college literature class. I sat in the back, and the teacher gave me a black and white copy of the text so I could read along with the class. I remember the debate raged on in the class, but we re
Bradley
Jun 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone with a desire to understand how they're trapped by life.
I was reminded of this little piece by a fellow reviewer and while I read it way back in college, several things still stick in my mind.

First, the prevalent psychology of Freud during the time-period: This novel portrays the kind of circular thinking that could happen to anyone in that particular time and station. Any person of a protected, apparently weak, and especially underclass station could find the confines so stifling that it might break their mind. Of course, this isn't to say that ever
Kaylin
Jun 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
4 Stars
“It does not do to trust people too much.”

Wow!

I was stuck in traffic, so I started this audio book--and an hour later when I finally pulled in my driveway, this was me:

description

Not sure what I expected, but this ended up a fascinating look at mental illness and women’s ‘hysteria.’

Taking place at the end of the 19th century, the story is written as woman's secret journal. She’s married to a physician who has his own treatment plans regarding her depression, or as he refers to it her “nervous di
María
Jul 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excepcional cuento feminista donde la ALUCINANTE Charlotte muestra el papel opresivo y sumiso que vivían las mujeres burguesas. Cuánto me alegra que haya salido. Arrastrándose sí, pero salido al fin y al cabo. Qué bien sienta la libertad. Además, es una dura crítica al tratamiento psiquiátrico al que ella misma fue sometida y que casi la lleva a la locura. Chapó.

Vanessa
Aug 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After seeing two recent reviews from two reviewers I respect and getting different perspectives with complete opposing views made me want to pick up this short novella, at 64 pages long it was not much of a stretch to fit it into my day! I'm so glad I picked it up, it really is a peculiar story. It captures a real horror of a woman trapped by her nervous disposition as she describes her condition, you really get a real sense of dread at her fixation with the yellow wallpaper in the room where sh ...more
mark monday
Oct 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are so many insightful reviews already out there that analyze this absorbing 1892 short story; I fear I have nothing new to add...

Gilman's perfectly sustained masterpiece is a treasure trove and there are many things to contemplate: its proto-feminism and sharp, sharp commentary on how "good men" such as husbands and brothers - and their female allies - strive to keep women passive; its ingenious first person narrative featuring an increasingly unhinged and very unreliable narrator; its d
Rae Meadows
Oct 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
I'm not sure I have much to add about this story from 1892, but I had never read it and was glad to finally do so. It is an incredibly sad story of a woman's descent into mental illness hastened by a rest cure imposed by her physician husband. There are different layers, one being an early feminist critique of women's subjectivity in a marriage, through the story of a woman whose agency has been taken away by her husband. There are a couple of eerie mentions of a baby in another room taken care ...more
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
This is my second read of this story, and I gave it four stars this time. It's a very well-written story. Ms. Gilmore crafted this tale in such a way that you feel as twisted as the narrator does. It's clear that mental illness plays a major role in the mindset of the narrator. But, there is a little shred of doubt (at least in my mind) that there might be some otherworldly component. It's hard to tell, because we are seeing things through her perceptions, which are clearly not rational.

I think
Bonnie
Oct 24, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Bonnie by: 1001 Books to Read Before You Die
’This paper looks to me as if it KNEW what a vicious influence it had!

There is a recurrent spot where the pattern lolls like a broken neck and two bulbous eyes stare at you upside down. I get positively angry with the impertinence of it and the everlastingness. Up and down and sideways they crawl, and those absurd, unblinking eyes are everywhere. There is one place where two breadths didn't match, and the eyes go all up and down the line, one a little higher than the other.’

Man, that yellow wal
♛Tash
Published in the early 1900s, The Yellow Wallpaper is one of the first recognized feminist pieces. It is the story of a woman who is considered to be of delicate disposition and health so she is isolated from everything. In her isolation, she fixates on the crawling headless human shapes she sees in the tattered yellow wallpaper of her bedroom. *shudders*

It's easy to see why this is considered to be a feminist piece. It details a very infuriating treatment of a woman who has suffered some sort o
Adam
Apr 22, 2007 rated it it was ok
This book stands out in my mind mainly because of an argument I had with our English teacher that lasted the length of an entire English class, over whether or not the room was actually originally a childrens' playroom, or some kind of sinister crazy-wife-locking-up-room.

My argument: "She's an unreliable narrator! And why would a children's playroom have weird metal rings on the walls and bars on the windows?"
Her argument: "Yes, but she says it's a childrens' playroom."
My counter-argument: "BUT
Sara
Feb 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow, this is a powerful short-story that makes quite a statement about insanity, the need of a woman to have choices and independence, and the unintentional cruelties of those who fail to listen or acknowledge another's suffering. I was stunned by how much Gilman managed to say in so few pages.

Iris
Oct 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, own, reviewed
Just like peeling back layers of wall-paper, this concise, succinct and haunting classic has intricate patterns of meaning, which will continue to enthral and capture the imagination and reflection of my mind. This book is also universally relevant today as a poignant exposure of mental health, its surrounding stigmatisation and of inequality.
Dannii Elle
This is one of my all time favourite stories, and rereading it served to remind me why!

The haunting and chilling tale is told so profoundly, evocatively and beautifully in such a short number of words and every time I read this, I am transported into the tale: I become the haunted and unnamed female protagonist and the unsettling effect of the novels permeates into my own reality. Her demise into madness becomes my own.

What strikes me most about this novel is how it portrays the treatment toward
❀Julie
Dec 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
This powerful little book completely changed my perspective of short stories.  It was a super quick but fascinating read, and I was amazed at how the author managed to create such a deep, dark escape in so few pages.  The narrator is suffering from a “nervous depression” (or what would likely be known today as postpartum depression) but her patronizing physician husband dismisses her concerns, leading to her confinement in a room with the yellow wallpaper where her imagination runs wild.  I love ...more
Adita ✨The Slumbering Insomniac✨
description

★★★★★★★★★★[10/10]

You would think you are doing womankind a favor by imprisoning her within the confines of the four walls. You call that protecting her from the evil eyes of the society. You would think brute strength is all that is needed to conquer your enemy and a woman lacks that very thing, and therefore is incapable of extricating herself from untoward situations. You would believe that all the problems in the world require none of that delicate handling that a soft fabric stuck in the tho
Stacey
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Yellow Wallpaper gives us a peek at attitudes toward women in the 19th century. That's a horror story right there. In this writing we have a glimpse at the slow descent of a woman suffering from mental illness and the misunderstanding of postpartum depression.

The husband, John, is a doctor and what his wife needs is to be confined in a room in the country to "get some air". The room is covered in peeling, patterned yellow wallpaper and it is here she starts to get delusional and sees women
Emer
Oct 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Emer by: Anuradha
"John does not know how much I really suffer. He knows there is no REASON to suffer, and that satisfies him."

I was going to write a full review about this but I really struggled to find the words. And then I read my GR friend Anuradha's review and I think she has beautifully expressed every feeling and emotion about this story that I felt myself. So I urge you to read her review, find it here , and then go grab yourself a copy of this wonderful novella. It is even available for free on Projec
Classics and the ...: The Yellow Wallpaper 76 53 Nov 22, 2017 05:33AM
The Novella Club: The Yellow Wall Paper - November 2017 group read (spoilers) 12 20 Nov 19, 2017 11:47AM
List of Years Lit...: Background reading 14 11 Sep 13, 2017 06:15AM
Did anyone else get chills? 18 147 Jul 31, 2017 03:08AM
Goodreads Librari...: Book Title 3 10 Apr 22, 2017 02:27PM
Catching up on Cl...: August 2016 - The Yellow Wall-Paper 278 189 Oct 11, 2016 05:26AM
  • The Story of an Hour
  • The End of the Party
  • The Garden Party and Other Stories
  • The Birthmark
  • An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge
  • The Rocking Horse Winner (Travelman Classics)
  • The Necklace and Other Stories: Maupassant for Modern Times
  • Happy Endings
  • Un señor muy viejo con unas alas enormes
  • In a Glass Darkly
  • The Female Malady:  Women, Madness and English Culture 1830-1980
  • The Old Nurse's Story
  • Signs and Symbols (Stories of Vladimir Nabokov)
  • Paul's Case
Charlotte Perkins Gilman was a prominent American sociologist, novelist, writer of short stories, poetry, and nonfiction, and a lecturer for social reform. She was a utopian feminist during a time when her accomplishments were exceptional for women, and she served as a role model for future generations of feminists because of her unorthodox concepts and lifestyle. Her best remembered work today is ...more
More about Charlotte Perkins Gilman...
“But I MUST say what I feel and think in some way — it is such a relief! But the effort is getting to be greater than the relief.” 50 likes
“Now why should that man have fainted? But he did,and right across my path by the wall, so that I had to creep over him every time!” 43 likes