Start by marking “Groggle's Monster Valentine” as Want to Read:
Groggle's Monster Valentine

Groggle's Monster Valentine

Groggle has been up all night making a Valentine’s Day card. This isn’t just any Valentine, though, and it has to be perfect—it’s for Snarlina, his beast friend in the whole wide world.

Searching in the dark forest, he finds just the right heart-shaped leaves. He collects some bog slime and squirts everything he wants to say in bold, gooey letters. Groggle’s creation looks
Published January 17th 2017 by Sky Pony

To ask other readers questions about Groggle's Monster Valentine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Groggle's Monster Valentine

Start your review of Groggle's Monster Valentine
Calista
If you have someone that doesn't like cute Valentines Day, then this is your book. This is goth and a little scary, but not too scary and very icky kind of cute. This is a Tim Burton Valentine's book. I love the art. This story was such a surprise. It's like a Halloween Valentine card, like a Nightmare on Valentine's Day.

Our Monster is trying to make an gooey valentine and every time he makes his perfect Valentine, he eats it. Will Snarlina ever get her Valentine. He makes Valentine after
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Murray, Diana Groggle's Monster Valentine, illutrated by Bats Langley. PICTURE BOOK. Sky Pony Press, 2017.

Groggle wants to make the perfect valentine for his best friend Snarlina, but every time he completes one he gives in and eats it. Finally he runs out of time and has to just take her what he has left. Will she appreciate her card?

This is a colorful book that is just sweet enough to be a Valentine's Day read -- and just gross enough to be funny. With the various hand-written poems inside, it
Jess
Jan 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Diana Murray tells the sweet, heartwarming story of a monster trying to impress his crush/friend in spite of his own "monstrous" tendencies. Bats Langley's artwork is so wonderfully done...perfectly capturing Murray's words and bringing them to life in a unique, beautiful style.

My 3-year-old son absolutely loves this book (direct quote from him -- "best book ever!") He laughed hysterically and was already quoting some of the lines after our first night reading it. Cannot recommend this book
Linda V
Jan 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Charming story of an endearing monster who is having difficulties overcoming his appetite while crafting the perfect Valentine for his best friend. Illustrator Bats Langly so beautifully created a warm, fuzzy monster that children will want to pick up and hug! A wonderful valentine!
Lindsay
Jan 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Maybe the first Valentine's Day book I've really liked? I wish someone would write me these kinds of cards.
Peace_Love_Reading
Absolutely adorable!!!
Justyne Reyes
Feb 04, 2018 rated it liked it
“It was funny when he ate the spiders.”
Amy
Jan 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
Incredibly busy illustrations make this a difficult book to read and enjoy.
Storywraps
Feb 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I know you will fall in love in Groggle. I took one look at him and wanted to hug him tight. What a sweetie. He is staying up all night and creating the perfect Valentine's card for his beast friend, Snarlina.

He enters deep into the dark forest to forage for the precise materials he needs to make this happen. He discovers the right heart-shaped leaves, he gathers up bog slime and uses bold, gooey letters to write poetry to her from his heart. He then stands back and ogles his work. His Monster
Kid Lit Reviews
It is Valentine’s Day and Groggle is excited! He wants to show his “beast friend in the whole wide world” how much he likes her. With special ingredients Groggle finds in the dark, dank forest he turns heart-shaped leaves into valentines. Groggle expresses his emotions with a familiar poem, changed to suit his friend Snarlina.

“To: Snarlina, from: Groggle
Roses are red
Garbage is Grimy
Here is your Valentine
icky and Slimy”

. . . may be a monster’s tale, but the charming story of friendship and love,
Erin Buhr
Jan 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Groggle the Monster is hard at work making a Valentine for his "beast" friend, Snarlina. He wants it to be perfect so he gathers up heart-shaped leaves, plenty of bog slime, and carefully crafts the perfect message. It looks horribly good, which is a problem when you have a monster sized appetite. As one Valentine after another gets munched down by the well-intentioned Monster, it starts to look like Snarlina might not get a Valentine. The brief, expressive text and messy, grungy illustrations ...more
Heather Macht
Jan 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I can't say enough good things about this book! Groggle's attempting, desperately, to make a valentine for his friend Snarlina...only he gets a little hungry along the way. This adorable book, with cute rhymes and beautiful illustrations, is a must for your picture book collection. Highly recommended for adults or kids ;)
Nick
Jan 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is simply adorable. The sweet, funny, messy story, beautifully illustrated by Bats Langley, plays with the idea of Valentine's Day in a smart, unconventional way. The story is quirky, interesting, and the kids I've read it to just love all the wacky monster noises and images. Would very much recommend
Ryan
Feb 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Oh my Goodness, I LOVE THIS BOOK! Its colorful, the monsters are adorable, and it really gets at the heart of being a friend. It may be a valentine book, but it can be read any time. I hope there are more!!
Victoria Loder
Sep 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The story is one of the cutest I've ever read and the illustrations surpass anything I've seen in ages. I'm so excited for this to be in the hands of little ones! I know they'll love exploring the colours and pictures even more than I did. ;)
Jena
Mar 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
A Valentine's book that does NOT have a sappy love story in it. This is a book even boys will like to read on Valentine's day.
Keri Douglas
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
Kinda cute. Too much going on in each page. Cute idea for monster Valentine.
Ashley Salisbury
Apr 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Quirky art and characters. These valentines are funny and make you want to eat them right up (literally :) )
Ena Jones
May 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Such a sweet, sweet book, that is the PERFECT for Valentine's Day. I love Groggle! The illustrations are amazing!
Kim Jones
Jan 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: story-time
Very cute & not your typical Valentines day picture book.
Mar 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: storytime
Haha, a cute monster keeps gobbling up his valentines to his "beast" friend Snarlina. I'd like to try this at a Valentine's Day storytime.
Gabrielle Stoller
Feb 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: holiday, picture-book
Honestly, "Groggle's Monster Valentine" is purely delightful! Groggle wants to give a valentine to his "beast friend" Snarlina....but he keeps eating the valentines! Oh whatever will he do??

The color palate is predominantly in purples and blues and reds which made the book very welcoming. It felt rich. I wish I had been able to get this book in time to do a storytime.

One thing that would be fun to do IN said storytime would be to act out Groggle eating the valentines up. In fact, you could do a
Stephanie
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Adorable and poetic story. Groggle's trying to make valentines for his best friend Snarlina, but he keeps accidentally eating them because they're so delicious. Will he be able to deliver one, or will his ravenous appetite doom him to failure? The colorful illustrations are a delight.
Anthony
Groggle is out to make his best friend Snarlina an edible valentine's day card. If Groggle's appetite wasn't so uncontrollable he wouldn't have such a problem, but he eats every valentine he makes. What will Groggle do to ensure Snarlina gets a special valentine's card?
alana
Dec 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Dark but luminous illustrations, really lovely. Silly story about making and eating valentines with gross monster humor and rhyming poems - - fun prompts for making some of your own.
Valencia
Jan 09, 2019 rated it liked it
This was a cute book, but sometimes the illustrations are a bit "overdone" and busy.
The Brothers
May 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Groggle is a little monster that wants to show his friend how much he likes her by making her a valentine, but he keeps eating them as as soon as he makes them!

Illustrations are cute.
Carina
Dec 29, 2019 rated it liked it
I picked this book out at my school's library.
Kim
Feb 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Groggle loves Snarlina and wants to give her a valentine; unfortunately, he eats everyone. Cute monster poems.
Amanda
rated it it was ok
Mar 04, 2017
« previous 1 3 next »

• Valensteins
  • Groundhug Day
  • A Crankenstein Valentine
  • The Good Egg (The Bad Seed, #2)
  • Mirabel's Missing Valentines
  • Hedy Lamarr's Double Life: Hollywood Legend and Brilliant Inventor
  • The Cool Bean (The Bad Seed, #3)
  • Juno Valentine and the Magical Shoes
  • This Is Not a Valentine
  • The Yuckiest, Stinkiest, Best Valentine Ever
  • Do You Believe in Unicorns?
  • Hedgehugs
  • Circle
  • Click, Clack, Moo I Love You!
  • Archie Snufflekins Oliver Valentine Cupcake Tiberius Cat
  • Mouse and Mole: Secret Valentine
  • Nancy Knows
  • April and Esme: Tooth Fairies
Diana Murray grew up in New York City and still lives nearby with her husband, two children, and a fuzzy white pup-icorn. Diana's children's books include, CITY SHAPES and SUMMER COLOR (Little, Brown), GRIMELDA: THE VERY MESSY WITCH (Katherine Tegen Books/HarperCollins), NED THE KNITTING PIRATE (Roaring Brook Press), DORIS THE BOOKASAURUS (Imprint/Macmillan), PIZZA PIG (Random House), UNICORN DAY ...more