Start by marking “How to Make Out” as Want to Read:
How to Make Out

How to Make Out

3.18  ·  Rating details ·  244 Ratings  ·  89 Reviews
Sixteen-year-old Renley needs three thousand dollars for the math club’s trip to New York City, and she knows exactly how to get it: she’s going to start a how-to blog where people pay for answers to all of life’s questions from a “certified expert.” The only problems: 1) She doesn’t know how to do anything but long division and calculus. 2) She’s totally invisible to peop ...more
Published September 6th 2016 by Sky Pony Press

To ask other readers questions about How to Make Out, please sign up.
Brianna Shrum Hey there! This isn't in the library because it isn't released yet. :) It releases on September 6th, so hopefully it will be in more libraries then!

(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Skyhorse Publishing and Edelweiss.)

“You’re right,” I tell him. “I love a challenge.”

This was a YA contemporary romance story, about a girl and two guys.

Renley was an okay character, although she seemed a bit dense at times. I really struggled to understand why she didn’t want Drew, especially when they had such chemistry, and the way she hurt Drew and her best friend April was pretty shocking.

The st
Sophie
Sep 17, 2016 rated it it was ok

I was immediately drawn to this book when I first saw the synopsis on goodreads. It seemed, to me, like the perfect book, and I started my copy as soon as it arrived. Unfortunately, I severely disliked the book, and had a ton of problems.

Firstly, the book is about Renley, a girl whose mam left when her dad had an affair, and moved to New York to start a new family. When the maths club decides on a trip to NYC, Renley decides she'd do anything to get there, even though it would cost $3,000. Her s
Jaime Arkin
This was probably a 2.5 star read for me. I was kind of hoping for something light and fun when I read the title and saw the cover, but this was actually a bit heavier than I was expecting… and I did have a couple of issues with the plot.

Renley is in a pinch… she wants to go join her math club on a trip to New York but in order to do it, she needs $3000. Something she can’t ask her dad for, and she certainly can’t talk to her mom about it. So her big plan? Start a “How To” Blog… but when the to
Grace {Rebel Mommy Book Blog}
May 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc
Review
This was a really cute high school book that was a little (or a lot) predictable. Our main character Renley lives with her dad and stepmom after her mom left them. She is dealing with the abandonment of her mom and spends of her time with her neighbor and best friend Drew and her other best friend April. When a trip to New York for her math club comes up she needs to come up with a way to make some money fast. She decides to start a blog to help answer people's questions as an expert and
Laurie Flynn
Sep 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
There is a ridiculous amount to love about this book. It's hilarious and heartfelt, romantic and quirky, and the inventive format-- a "how to" blog where main character Renley answers questions ranging from basic to risque-- makes it feel fresh and unlike anything else on the YA scene.

Sixteen-year-old Renley wants to save money for the math club trip to New York, so she starts up said blog and charges for the answers. When she starts dating Seth, the cute, crushworthy boy in her cooking class,
Odette Knappers
Jun 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018, dnf
Echt geen verkeerde contemporary. Ik had alleen minder standaard fluff en standaard voorspelbaarheid verwacht, en meer wiskunde en nerdyness.

Ik heb tot 1/3 gekomen, en ik heb spierpijn in mijn ogen van eyerolls. Never mind, life is to short for books like this. Sorry not sorry.
rachel
Review copy provided by the publisher for an honest review.

I read Shrum’s debut Never Never last year and had rather mixed feelings about it. The plot was all over the place, the characters were hard to relate to, the writing was a little juvenile… and I had the exact same problems with How to Make Out, tenfold.

The characters were a little ridiculous. Not only was Renley a brat who deserved to have some sense slapped into her, but as a whole the cast felt completely one-dimensional. I really co
Eri
Jun 19, 2016 rated it did not like it
This book was truly a mess. The main character was thoroughly unlikable and made some truly deplorable decisions, in addition to treating most of the other characters in a terrible manner.

The only part I did not dislike, being quite frank here, was Drew, who deserves better, and the make-out scenes which I admit were done rather well.

Thank you to Edelweiss and Sky Pony Press for the review copy.
Abbie
Jun 23, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-to-review
(I received a copy from Edelweiss, In exchange for an honest review.)

Actual rating - 2.5

I can't say I liked the main character in this. She was pretty annoying.

This wasn't an enjoyable read for me unfortunately. The characters annoyed me, the "how to's" were silly, and the whole thing just dragged for me. I was relieved when it had finished.

Overall, Not an enjoyable read.
Valentine Pumpkins

Je l'ai dévoré ! La thématique et son traitement sont originaux, les personnages imparfaits et réalistes, l'humour est bien présent, une lecture drôlement chouette !
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
Chapters read: 9

I was semi-tempted to finish this, since I'm about a third of the way through and it's short. But I'm better off spending my time on other things.

How to Make Out tries really hard to be voicey but it stumbles over unclear characterization, an unrealistic premise, and the occasional offensive line.

Renley needs to earn money for a math trip to NYC, so she starts a "How to" blog and begins charging people for her answers to random questions. She puts up a couple free "how to" posts,
Aditi ~ •A Thousand Words A Million Books
AS SEEN ON: A THOUSAND WORDS A MILLION BOOKS

I received a review copy from the publisher, in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts and opinions are entirely my own.

Picture This.

A Party with a bonfire, beer and teenagers. And instead of partying, ALL THE TEENAGERS are on their phones, READING A BLOG.

And this was legitimately a scene in this novel.

How To Make Out – a book I forced myself to finish purely by the great method of skimming usually reserved for my coursework books – was filled
Kelly Hager
Aug 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I am on a roll with excellent books!

This one is about Renley. She needs to earn money for a school trip and decides to start an advice blog. The questions start out pretty lighthearted but quickly get more serious (how to get over a hangover, for example, but there are also sexual ones).

The book is hilarious, especially at first. As the blog questions get more interesting, though, the book gets much more serious. Ultimately, Renley has to figure out what she wants and what kind of person she wa
Shelly
A wonderful cute read! I liked that Renley made her own mistakes, and had to accept that any terrible decisions she made were her own. Some readers will probably consider her unlikeable because she makes mistakes (some that have me cursing) but I like that they are her mistakes to make (if that makes sense?). A coming-of-age story that features a complicated love triangle, a blog and a swoony romance.
Rê
description

2.5 “Unrealistic blogging experience” Stars

ARC via Edelweiss

Thank you, Sky Pony Press!

Well, this was the “unlikable characters in YA contemporary” weekend here. After Aubree from “Wanderlost”, we now have sixteen-year-old Renley, who acted like a thirteen-year-old the entire book.

“How to Make Out” has a fun premise involving the blogging world and a love triangle with one of my favorite tropes: falling for your best friend. Unfortunately, neither the blogging experience feels realistic nor the
Mycoton32
Mar 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

16/20 - Un moment sympathique avec une héroïne qui prend des claques ! (moi, sadique ? un peu :p )
Ann-Mary Côté
Aug 06, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5
Laurapassage
Mar 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
[http://laura-passage.com/tuto-n1-embr...]

J'ai dévoré Tuto n1 Embrasser comme une déesse, une histoire sur la quête de soi à travers les yeux d'une adolescente qui cherche sa place. Brianna Shrum décrit avec réalisme la vie lycéenne actuelle faite de bons et mauvais côtés, ses dérives et la poursuite pas toujours compréhensible de ses envies. À mettre dans toutes les mains des adolescents !
Jen
Jul 12, 2016 rated it did not like it
**I received this as an e-galley from Sky Pony Press through Edelweiss in return for an honest review.**

To be honest, I forget what initially drew me to this book in the first place, and after reading it, I was not all that impressed. What I thought might be an interesting integration of modern-day blogging and the affect it has on being a teen turned out to be what was akin to a classic early 2000s high school flick in which the girl on the outskirts comes up with A Plan for one thing that has
Zoey Talbon
May 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
You know those times when you wait a week and a half to write your review? And all you've got is some vague thoughts and memories of it? ("Yes, but that's why you take notes!" you say. Indeed! But MY NOTES ARE JUST AS VAGUE.) And I think that pretty much sums up my thoughts about How to Make Out: fun but not very memorable just because it didn't, like, tug at my heartstrings or anything.

I love the premise of this book. Renley needs money to go to New York, so she makes a how-to blog where she ch
EmmiK
Oct 16, 2016 rated it it was ok
An awesome premise with a less than awesome delivery.

Initially I was drawn to this book because of its title “How to make out”. I was instantly intrigued and wanted to know what this book could possibly be about. At first I had no intention of reading it; I simply wanted to get an idea of the plot, but after reading the summary, it sounded like a fun and witty, quick-read. I love the idea of neighbours falling for each other – 'Drive me Crazy' featuring Melissa Joan Hart, 'Its a Boy Girl Thing'
NyxShadow
May 02, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
2.5
Mais c'est une héroïne qu'on a envie de gifler ! Mais bon je suppose qu'elle illustre bien à quel point on peut perdre la tête à l'adolescence
Peach
DNF @ 45%

I feel like there're few things I'm "good" at. I make great brownies and mini ravioli. Contrary to my number of negative reviews, or as I prefer constructive criticism, I'm a great person. Blogging is another one of the things, so I feel I'm allowed to say: "Uh-huh. No, hun. It does not work like that."

The class fieldtrip is approaching and it's importante. The class will be heading to NYC, but first: Renley needs $3000 to qualify, which she does not have. Her parents are far from s
Brooke (The Cover Contessa)
I want to thank the publisher, Sky Pony Press, for sending me a copy of this book to read and give an honest review. Receiving this book for free has in no way altered my opinion or review.

This is the second book I have read by this author. I really enjoyed the first book, which was fantasy, so I was looking forward to seeing what she could do with contemporary.

While the story line was interesting, I felt there was a lot that still needed to be fleshed out. The character development was lacking
Chasia Lloyd
Jun 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
I had so much fun reading Brianna Shrum's "How to Make Out". It's quirky, hilarious, and ready to punch you in the stomach when you least expect it. And yes, there is plenty of making-out!

Renley Eisler has two amazing best friends, a father who will let her get away with most anything, a gift for tutoring, and a knack for all things involving numbers. But she doesn't have enough money to go on her math club's trip to New York City. So she decides to start a blog where she'll teach people how to
Kate Ormand
Saving for a trip to New York City, Renley sets up a “how to” blog. As the site becomes popular, Renley opens it up, allowing viewers to send questions and pay for the answers. Soon the blog starts to take over Renley’s day-to-day life and she does things she wouldn’t usually do, with the risk of losing her friends and herself in the process.

I’m in a real contemporary mood at the moment and I couldn’t get enough of this book! I read it over just a few days but could have easily read in one sitt
Jamie (Books and Ladders)
Disclaimer: I received an eARC of this novel in exchange for an honest review.

THIS WAS SO CUTE!!!!!!!!! !!!!!! !!!!

Full review to come closer to release date :)

Books and Ladders | Books Are My Fandom | Twitter | Instagram | Bloglovin'
Sharon
I was curious about the premise for this book but unfortunately it fell short for me and I was unable to finish it. DNF @ 52%

I was unable to connect with the immaturity of the characters and the story-line was unrealistic and predictable.

I did enjoy the authors writing style but everything else unfortunately didn't work for me.

Thank you to Sky Pony Press via Edelweiss for the opportunity to read and review this title.
alice (arctic books)
DNF @ 34%.
- renley is supposed to be like 16-17 but she acts like she's 13 l m a o
- has a lot of similarities to stories on wattpad so if you like those then you'd probably like this idk
- everyone is so annoying sosjshsbdhddh
- idk man if i had a hot neighbor who wanted me i would be on that so quick dude
- 13 year old me would love this but 17 year old me does not IVE CHANGED
Lekeisha The Booknerd
May 26, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: edelweiss
I'm not exactly sure of what I just read. I think there's too much angst here, and the love triangle just put me off. Add to that the unrealistic add-on of the blogging, and I just can't really recommend this one.
  • Interference
  • Diplomatic Immunity
  • For This Life Only
  • Memento Mori
  • Going Geek
  • The Odds of Lightning
  • The Last True Love Story
  • Twitch
  • Letters to the Lost (Letters to the Lost, #1)
  • Don't You Trust Me?