Start by marking “The Hamilton Affair” as Want to Read:

The Hamilton Affair

Set against the dramatic backdrop of the American Revolution, and featuring a cast of iconic characters such as George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, and the Marquis de Lafayette, The Hamilton Affair tells the sweeping, tumultuous, true love story of Alexander Hamilton and Elizabeth Schuyler, from tremulous beginning to bittersweet ending—his at a dueling ground on the shor ...more
Published August 2nd 2016 by Arcade (first published 2016)

To ask other readers questions about The Hamilton Affair, please sign up.
LilyCat (Agent of SHIELD)-- on hiatus :( I haven't read this book, but I think you can respect the Founding Fathers even if you know about some of their affairs and mistakes. Too often, we…moreI haven't read this book, but I think you can respect the Founding Fathers even if you know about some of their affairs and mistakes. Too often, we put the FFs on a pedestal, but it's important to recognize that they were human, too. Reading about Hamilton's sex life (affairs etc.) shows us that he wasn't perfect and did plenty of questionable things. However, overall, he improved our country, despite his shortcomings as a husband and father.(less)
Jennifer Adams This book is tame compared to the romance & smut we read in middle school/high school (Harlequin, Flowers in the Attic, etc). The consequences for…moreThis book is tame compared to the romance & smut we read in middle school/high school (Harlequin, Flowers in the Attic, etc). The consequences for Hamilton's affair hurt his career and marriage: good lesson about holding to commitments & honor VS temporary pleasure.

(less)

Claudia Ramírez
Nov 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
3 stars.
Jenny (Reading Envy)
Aug 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is for fans of Hamilton-the-Musical or a solid historical narrative focusing on female characters or historical romance. It's all of those things. The author worked on this when Hamilton was still a lesser known founding father instead of an award winning musical. There is some remarkable overlap in specific lines, but this is because they both used the same primary sources! You'll find some of the same content in Lafayette in the Somewhat United States, and, I imagine, Alexander Hamilton. ...more
"Avonna
Aug 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: net-galley
Check out all of my reviews at: http://www.avonnalovesgenres.com

I have always been a history lover. Give me a factual, scholarly, historical tome or a historical fictional story of a time, place or person and I can sit and disappear into that time or place for hours.

Due to the Broadway musical “Hamilton” many people are being introduced or reintroduced to one of the brilliant founding architects of our republic and THE HAMILTON AFFAIR by Elizabeth Cobbs is an enjoyable historical fiction overvi
Patricia
Aug 18, 2016 rated it it was ok
As a huge fan of the musical Hamilton, I picked up this fictional rendering of the events hoping for an interesting read. Although it seems clear that the author did some research, the pedestrian prose reminded me of so-so historical fiction aimed at children or young adults. I just wasn't impressed. Better to read Ron Chernow's biography, which I thought was excellent.
Jessica Jeffers
Apr 25, 2016 marked it as to-read
Shelves: fiction, mcpl
A novelization of Alexander Hamilton and Eliza Schuyler's relationship, and what she does after his death?

I really want to know if Cobbs started this before or after she heard the cast album, because it definitely feels a little like she heard the Eliza's final lines from the show and decided to roll with it.
Rina
Mar 03, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition

I thought the characters in The Hamilton Affair were very stereotypical and flat. The chapters rotate POV between Hamilton and Eliza. Eliza's chapters were annoying and read like something a middle school girl would be interested in. Overall, The Hamilton Affair gets 2 stars. The writing was decent, but Eliza was dull, dull, dull.

DNF 24%

KOMET
Jul 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
There is now a renewed interest in the life of one of America's most remarkable national leaders of the Revolutionary/Early Republic era: Alexander Hamilton. This is largely due to the success of the Broadway musical "HAMILTON."

In "The Hamilton Affair", Elizabeth Cobbs does a remarkable job of revivifying the lives of both Hamilton and his wife Elizabeth Schuyler, who hailed from one of the most distinguished families in New York. In Alexander Hamilton, we have a man of humble origins (born out
Erin
Find this and other reviews at: https://historicalfictionreader.blogs...

I understand trends and the rush to capitalize on Hamilton’s popularity, but I am not amused by Arcade Publishing’s decision to drape Elizabeth Cobbs’ The Hamilton Affair in artwork that was so obviously inspired by the musical’s playbill. I might be alone in this, but I get a ‘we don’t believe this book can succeed on its own merit’ vibe when looking at the jacket and I don’t think that’s quite the angle marketing was going
Joe Krakovsky
Jan 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
They say that the victors write the history. This seems to hold true as much as in politics as in military action. A good example of both can be found in "The Hamilton Affair". In deed, this seems to become the theme of the book halfway through as the characters are developed. Maybe 'matured' is a better word, for these characters were real, in the historical sense.

According to the author, all events were factual, as were the characters, save one. The author's explanation for including this cha
Moonkiszt
The Hamilton Affair

A truly interesting book. . . .now I have to read others to get a sense of context and “truth”. . . I’ve never understood the attraction of duels as a means of settling anything! Shoot fish in a barrel, more likely. Archaic and stupid. Not a bit of honor about it, and how could such a smart man have been willing to sign up for it? With a wife and all those kiddos? Crazy wicked. And fresh on the heels of No. 1 son’s duel. . . yikes. There is no sense that makes this honorable n
Book Concierge
If you don’t already know about Alexander Hamilton’s role as a founding father, then not only did you not pay attention in history class, but you’ve been living under a rock these past few years as the musical Hmilton has swept the Tony awards.

Cobbs is an historian, who also occasionally writes a work of historical fiction. She started researching this novel, got intrigued by the subject, and was told by her publisher that “No one knows about this guy or wants to read about him … Snooze!” But s
Kamryn Koble
Oct 07, 2016 rated it did not like it
I have to stop. This book is due at the library, I haven't had the will to go on past page one hundred in a month, there is no motivation. So this is a page 0-100 review, make of it what you will.

I can't help but be angry that the marvelous idea was wasted on a subpar book. This has to be riding the hype of Hamilton; why else would there suddenly be a novel about a founding father from the Caribbean who died young? When this book was first announced, I was elated. I had my boss (I am employed t
Ann
Jul 31, 2018 rated it liked it
This is the second book I have read recently with a focus on Alexander Hamilton and Elizabeth Schuyler Hamilton.

On the positive side, this book delved into Hamilton's childhood which surely left an indelible impression on him, not only shaping his beliefs but also his insecurities. Otherwise, Hamilton was a prolific writer however the book did not include many quotations within the narrative to showcase those abilities. Some significant complex family relationships and historical events were gl
Laurel Corona
May 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I read this novel in an early draft several years back, and I am so happy to see Elizabeth Cobbs bring it to fruition and publication. I've noticed several people wondering about any influence the musical might have had on the book, and this is amusing to me because I know that The Hamilton Affair was completed long before the musical came out. A great story attracts more than one creative mind! Highly recommend this book.
Karen Kay
I received this ARC from netgalley.com in exchange for a review.

This book is a fictionalized story about the real relationship between Alexander Hamilton and Elizabeth Schuyler. The couple's story is interesting enough, but I got bogged down as the flow of the story became less 'fictional' and more chronological.

Laura Jean
Aug 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very enjoyable novel about Alexander Hamilton and Eliza Schuyler Hamilton. It made me wish I remembered more about the Revolutionary War from 8th Grade.
Angela Demott
Jul 09, 2016 rated it did not like it
While I didn't expect this to be amazing by any means, I certainly wasn't expecting it to be as horrible as it was. I'll give it a half star for the content and another half for a brilliantly timed book release that coincides with the frenzy of the (very good) musical. Other than that, The Hamilton Affair was nothing but bad prose, bad character development, bad dialogue, bad pacing, and bad organization. Bad bad bad.
Barb
My family and I can't get enough of Hamilton, the soundtrack is constantly playing here. We love the music and the story and listened to the audiobook 'Hamilton: The Revolution', about the making of the musical. We also have a hardcover copy of the book, which is beautiful. Lin Manuel-Miranda is a genius, I adore what he's done with Alexander Hamilton's story.

I wanted to know more about Hamilton's life but I wasn't sure I wanted to commit to reading Ron Chernow's 818 page biography. I thought t
Becky
Jul 17, 2016 rated it liked it
First sentence: The boy frowned, pressed a folded handkerchief to his nose, and scanned the crowd for the third time.

Premise/plot: The Hamilton Affair is historical fiction starring Alexander Hamilton and his wife Eliza. The novel has alternating narrators; readers get to spend time with both Alexander and Eliza. The book leans more towards romance than political drama. I think that's something readers should know from the start. Readers expecting the book to perfectly complement the Broadway mu
Margaret Dilloway
May 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I had the pleasure of reading an ARC of this book, and also being somewhat witness to its development as, over the last few years, I heard Cobbs talking about her writing this book. I'm so happy it's finding an audience now! Cobbs is simply a stellar historian-- she teaches at Texas A&M and taught at SDSU-- and she weaves in countless historical facts with her story of Hamilton.

This is really the story of two affairs-- Hamilton's affair with his wife, and with his mistress. We meet Hamilton
Ash
Feb 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
*This is a 2.6 review.

Although, my job has been playing the Hamilton Soundtrack since the musical came out, I was slow on the uptake and only really listened to it a month ago. Of course, I now have Hamilton fever. I've been listening to all of the songs non-stop. Ooh, look at that, I made a joke.

Before I read Ron Chernow's Hamilton, I decided a good compromise would be Elizabeth Cobbs' The Hamilton Affair. The premise is simple: it's about Alexander Hamilton's and Elizabeth Schuyler's relation
Melissa
May 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Thanks to Edelweiss and the publisher for an Advanced Reader Copy in exchange for an honest review.

I have been on a Revolutionary War kick the last few years, both non-fiction and fiction, and this book fit right in. Alexander Hamilton had been something of a mystery to me other than his time as the Secretary of the Treasury and the fact that he dueled against Aaron Burr and lost. I truly enjoyed learning about his upbringing, his education, his friends, his family, his relationship with the ot
Carole P. Roman
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Prior to seeing the musical, I had a hazy idea that Hamilton was not in the "boys club" that became the founding fathers. After all, he was never elected President. The Broadway show made me curious and four books later, I have to say how much I enjoyed Cobb's novel.
Solid and unpretentious, The Hamilton Affair humanizes all the key players. The games of politics were as dirty then as it is now.
I especially loved reading about the Hamiton's at home, his devotion to the family, as well as his da
Ramona
Jul 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Overall this was an interesting book, well researched and well presented to take you into the Hamilton family. Mostly the book focuses on Eliza, her relationship with Alexander and the ups and downs they experienced in child rearing and his infidelity.

At times the author would throw in a phrase here or there that caused me to laugh, I hate to say it- and pulled me out of the story. Some of the descriptions were just a little forced, but it wasn't bad enough that I wouldn't recommend this book. T
Susan (susayq ~)
Hamilton

Thoroughly enjoyed this. This was a great combination of enjoyment and education. Elizabeth Cobb did a wonderful job of telling the story of Alexander and Eliza Hamilton.
Sheila
Mar 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed all the historical details in this, even if it did seem a little strange to see Jefferson, Adams, and Monroe as antagonists. In books like John Adams, there’s a different perspective on the relationship between Hamilton and Adams. Sometimes I wonder whether we’ll ever truly know history when so much depends on perspective and emphasis.

As a work of historical fiction, this brings history to life in an enjoyable way. St. Croix, where Hamilton was born, is vividly described. Chapters alte
Anne Earney
This is the story of Alexander Hamilton from the time he was a small child in St. Croix until his death, told chronologically, alternating with his wife's story, also told from childhood. Although their childhoods shaped who they are, because that's how life works, the book would have been better if it had started closer to when they met, and their childhoods treated as back story, only hauled out when needed to prop up the present situation.

Once they met, the book did become more interesting,
Amanda Mae
May 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
While the opening chapters focusing on the childhoods of Eliza and Alexander seemed tedious to me and better suited as flashbacks later in the narrative, once the two met it turned into a delightful read! The author began the book before the musical Hamilton debuted, but it's obviously from the same source material and I do wonder if a few lines were altered in the final draft to wink at the musical. You will find yourself singing the songs as you read. I giggled a lot at the passages of Eliza a ...more
Veronica
Mar 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have always loved History so jumped at the chance to read "The Hamilton Affair" which is a love story about Alexander Hamilton and Elizabeth Schuyler though areas are fictionalized (of course). I don't usually read love stories but made an exception for this one (considering the main characters) and am glad I did.
Jo Ann
Jul 12, 2017 rated it liked it
I read this historical fiction book after reading 2 other Hamilton books. While this book added some fun details that I ASSUME are historically correct, it only brushes the surface of Alexander and Eliza Hamilton's lives together. It does, however, give more of a picture of Eliza, and since she is a fabulous woman in her own right, I enjoyed this.

• Flight of the Earls (Heirs of Ireland #1)
  • City of Light (City of Mystery, #2)
  • The Norton Anthology of American Literature: Literature to 1820 (Volume A)
  • Beyond the Ashes (Golden Gate Chronicles #2)
  • The Norton Anthology of Children's Literature: The Traditions in English
  • The Dutch Girl (Renegades of the American Revolution)
  • The Underground Railroad
  • I, Eliza Hamilton
  • A History of Judaism
  • Taking Liberty: The Story of Oney Judge, George Washington's Runaway Slave
  • The Year of Counting Souls
  • The Five Sisters
  • Song of Survival: Women Interned
  • Washington's Lady (Ladies of History, #3)
  • The Plague
  • The Blizzard of '88
  • Hamilton and Peggy!: A Revolutionary Friendship
  • Waterproof: A Novel of the Johnstown Flood
“you may not care about marriage now, Betsey, but you'll change your mind someday. Someday you will. And if you've given no thought to how to choose a man you can live with, you're going to end up with someone ugly or poor. Or worse, dull"

"If I ever marry I don't want a husband I can live with. I want one I cannot live without.”
2 likes
“I’d never wish to be part of a country that tolerates mob rule. There’s no greater threat to liberty than a crowd with torches.” 1 likes