Start by marking “Kook” as Want to Read:
Kook

Kook

Kook: (surfer slang): a learner, a wannabe.

Fifteen-year old Sam has moved from the big city to the coast of Englandstuck there with his mom and sister on the edge of nowhere. Then he meets beautiful but damaged surfer-girl Jade. Soon hes in love with her, and with surfing itself. But Jade is driven by an obsession: finding a legendary huge wave no one has ever ridden. As
Published August 30th 2016 by HarperCollinsChildren’sBooks (first published April 7th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Kook, please sign up.
Sabina I'm still waiting for my pre-ordered copy to arrive! I really can't wait to feel all the feels again. 'Kook' was so real, so raw at times that I felt…moreI'm still waiting for my pre-ordered copy to arrive! I really can't wait to feel all the feels again. 'Kook' was so real, so raw at times that I felt as if I was a part of the story myself. I kept my breath through Sam's near-drowning scene, and I felt immensely mortal when he found out about Jade's death. Cornish landscape is the most perfect location to set a novel involving surfing, beauty of nature and love. Even the weather in Cornwall corresponds with emotions of our everyday lives such as: feeling of loss, love, longing, happiness, sadness, being mortal and most of all the feeling of being alive. I really can't wait to read 'Storms'! Huge congrats Chris Vick on your second novel!!!(less)

Start your review of Kook
Elise (TheBookishActress)
3.5 stars. Kook is about a boy and a girl and their mutual desire to be destroyed by the ocean. It's set on the rugged beaches of England.

This book is such a love letter to the ocean that you just have to love it. I loved the descriptions The love interest is paralleled to the ocean. It sounds like a cheesy metaphor, but it really works.

This book is beautifully written in general. Christopher Vick has gorgeous, flowing prose, and he uses setting to the max. I loved the descriptions of the
Christy
Jun 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Excuse me while I pick up all the tiny shards of my heart, as this book just took it and completely smashed it to smithereens.

Jade got me in trouble from day one.

When I started Kook, I wasn't sure what direction it was going to take. Was this a story of two broken characters and their journey toward something better? Was it going to be more contemporary and about a summer a group of teens spent together? Whatever I thought it might be, it was so much more.

Kook is the story of Sam, a newly
Rheia
Mar 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I actually have no words. Speechless. The author sends you on an amazing journey of a young teenager who has never even swam before in his life, he meets this amazing surfer chick who set a fire in him and he started to surf. It shows you how he grows from a small, London geek to a I-can't-live-without-the-sea. Drugs, getting into trouble, friendships, surfing, romance and heartbreak and grief. You get attached. Can't let go of the book. First book to ever make me literally cry. Like I mean, ...more
Dani (Dani Reviews Things & Love in a time of Feminism)
I received a review copy from Maximum Pop! Books, but this does not affect my rating or opinions!

KOOK is a coming of age story like no other. Sam, brainy and pale, moves to Cornwall with his mother and half-sister from London, where he meets the beautiful force that is Jade. Jade introduces him to the ocean and her surfer friends, and the trouble starts from day one. Sam is drawn to the same waters that claimed his father ten years before, and they might just get him, too.

This book had
Alice-Elizabeth (marriedtobooks)
3.5 Stars

This is a book review for an upcoming YA release called Kook. I would like to thank the Twitter account Maximum Pop Books, HarperCollins Publishers and the author Chris Vick for giving me a copy of the novel for read and review.

Kook blurb:

A heart-pounding love story that grips like a riptide, and doesnt let go

Fifteen-year old Sam has moved from the big city to the coast stuck there with his mum and sister on the edge of nowhere.

Then he meets beautiful but damaged surfer-girl Jade.
Charnell (Reviews from a Bookworm)
I'm waiting for a book to make me feel something.... but, no, NOTHING! Gah. It's hard to tell now if it is me or the book. This was okay, but didn't blow me away. Full review to come.
Andrea at Reading Lark
Review Posted on Reading Lark 1/6/17: http://readinglark.blogspot.com/2017/...

Surfing is one of those things that will always hold magic for me. As a youth, I was fascinated by watching surfers take control of their board and become one with the sea. While I never learned to surf, I always dreamed about it and thought that maybe one day I'd give it a try. I still think about in the back of my mind and perhaps in the future I'll take some lessons, but for now I am content to read about it. The
Alexa
Jul 05, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2016
Honestly, it is a testament to the story that I managed to finish this one in spite of my reservations. And that even knowing how it was likely to end, based on the synopsis. I was interested in the portrayal of surfing, but that was mostly it. I didn't particularly find the characters interesting, which was definitely to the story's detriment.
Eline.r
May 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Holy crap, that ending!
I didn't really like this book when I just started reading it, but in the end I was completely in tears.
Siobhan
Jul 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
I feel like I learned so much about surfing from reading this book. Its a wonderful marriage of surfing, science, and teen rite of passage. The descriptions were vivid and Vicks really sold Cornwall (although its Cornwall, it sells itself), there were some great characters too.

But if there were any flaws, it was in certain characters. Big G felt like an unresolved story, there was no backstory for why he was the way he was. Tegan felt pointless, a crux to use for Sams mother demanding him home
Alaa
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
It gave me a real insight on surfing and its dangers and hazards. Omg it might even make you cry.
Bella Dawson
Jun 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is the best I've read in a long while, it seriously made me tear up and all.
Emily
If you want a turbulent YA book about the sea, then this is definitely IT.

Oh my, it was so powerful.
Sabina
Sep 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book has it all. I mean it. Breathtaking Cornish landscapes, action that will make your heart skip a beat, love, loss, life lessons and heartbreaking ending. I simply enjoyed all the descriptions in which the author said a lot not using too many words. I loved all the full stops that made my heart stop or start beating faster. I am still a bit overwhelmed. Thank you Chris Vick for this unforgettable surfing story. Perfect with 'Sound / Teack' by Headland playing in the background.
Erika
May 19, 2016 rated it liked it
This swept me along easily. Although I'm not a fan of the flippant way the book treats teenage drug and alcohol use (or, now that I think about it, its breezing over Sam's cracking under peer pressure and his often ill-advised decisions made for plainly stupid reasons), the story is full of heart and suspense and the characters feel very real. The last part of the novel can be predicted from the start, but is also beautifully written. Pretty good read, all in all.
Lisa Workman
Sep 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
I won a copy of this in a Goodreads giveaway. At first I found the writing a little choppy but about fifty pages in the story line grabbed me and I didn't notice as much. I have never surfed before, but this book is relatable despite that. Most of the characters have good depth and are interesting. A young adult book, it does have drugs, alcohol, and sex (just a heads up if you were giving it as a gift).
Maddy
Nov 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Exceptional book!! I would recommend it for everyone. The internal battle that Sam has with himself about whether or not Jade really does love him, is relatable and priceless.
Ellen
Nov 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Brilliant twist at the end, a gripping love story, you'll never want to put the book down.
Alicia
Review to appear in VOYA
Kyra (Blog of a Bookaholic)
(2.5/5)

When I got offered to review this book, I didn't even hesitate before accepting the offer. The premise sounded positively intriguing, it was set by the sea and I was promised a heart-pounding romance that would sweep me away. I was not swept away. I started off enjoying this book but as I turned the pages my love and excitement for the book dwindled to nothing. I had so many issues with this book, this will be a rant review, just a warning.

SO, Kook is about fifteen year old Sam who has
Philippa
Jul 07, 2017 rated it did not like it
Chris Vick has written a personal homage to the ocean, his love for the nautical is evident in the vast, satisfying descriptions of the Cornwall setting, producing a strong believable narrative from Sam's perspective. However, where the book stumbles slightly is the one dimensional characters and tired, paint by numbers YA tropes. Still an enjoyable, easy read that's unmissable for anyone who loves surfing (or Cornwall) half as much as Sam does.
Paige Mix
Jun 23, 2017 rated it liked it
This book was okay. It was really hard to get into.
Cerys Hobbs-King
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books
I think that this book is very interesting. It is interesting because, up to what i have read to, Sam has moved to the coast and meets a girl called Jade. She really likes surfing and wants to find a legendary wave that no one has ever ridden.
Spring
Aug 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Lucy  van smit
Apr 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Heads up, I am a writing friend of Chris Vick's and a huge fan of Kook. I love this book, and lived with Sam and Jade from our MA crit group, before the book came out in print.

Kook is the name for a rookie surfer, and we follow the journey of 15-year-old Sam falling in love with the Cornish Sea, and which, as I think about it, (duh) is a metaphor for the girl he loves, the infuriating, dangerous, and beautiful surfer, Jade.

The writing about the sea as siren and antagonist is exceptional, and
Fiona
May 19, 2016 rated it liked it
An interesting book and a refreshing change from the usual YA/teen vampire, werewolves, dystopian novels. Kook centres around Sam, a young boy on the verge of adulthood, who has moved house with his mum and sister, after the death of his father, to be closer to his grandmother. Sam is finding it difficult to come to terms with his father's death, mainly because of his mum's reluctance to talk about it. At the heart of this book is rebellion. Sam, to quote him, is a geek, a science bod who ...more
Pamela Scott
Apr 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, chris-vick
Professional Reader

I got a copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Kook is probably the only proper YA novel Ive read. My usual YA fare either involves vampire or werewolf boyfriends (Twilight saga), the apocalypse or books that are genre-defying (aka Patrick Ness). I wasnt sure what to expect from Kook but I was in the mood for something different. I thought the book would be slushy and full of doe-eyed teenagers batting their eyelids at one another. I stand humbled and
Kirsty
I really enjoyed this book. Exactly what I've been wanting to read for a good while now.

I loved that they main characters were easy to were really easy to relate to. I instantly warmed to them and found myself really invested in them from the outset. I loved the fact that it's YA contemp and a love story but from a male perspective. It was interesting to see the different perspective when most of the the YA contemps I read are from a female perspective. The love story is really intense and
Ginni Brinkley
Apr 06, 2016 rated it liked it
ARC from NetGalley in return for an honest review - thank you Harper Collins.

Kook is the story of Cornish-born, London-raised Sam, whose mother moves them back to Cornwall so he can spend time with his dying grandmother (his dad's mum). They move into a little cottage and he quickly takes up with surf girl Jade and her friends. From geek to rebel, with booze, sex, raves and drugs thrown in. And surfing, lots and lots of surfing.

I liked the surfing parts - good descriptions and a palpable sense
Rachel
Mar 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing

*I received an advance copy from Netgalley - requested the book myself*

This book is from the Harper Collins childrens range, and is out on 7th April.

I gave it 5 STARS. Its a bit of a slow burn at first, but when it gets going, it goes grip you, and I flew through the last 100 pages as the adrenalin kicked in and the story came alive. I wasnt surprised to find that the author is a keen surfer and is involved with sealife, as these elements are so real and
Publication date 1 4 Apr 01, 2016 06:16PM

• The Pest in the Nest
  • Help! I Smell a Monster
  • Verify (Verify #1)
  • The Thieves of Pudding Lane
  • The Mystery of the Clockwork Sparrow (The Sinclair’s Mysteries #1)
  • Hercufleas
  • Play Dead (DI Sam Clayton #3)
  • Podkin One-Ear (The Five Realms #1)
  • How to Make Children Laugh (Little Ways to Live a Big Life Book 1)
  • The Boy Who Fooled the World
  • Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird
  • Meat Market
  • Fractured (Slated, #2)
  • Summer of No Regrets
Chris Vick writes books for young people about the sea, danger and the wonder of magic and stories.

He spent years working in whale and dolphin conservation and a lot of time surfing before enrolling on the Bath Spa MA in Writing for Young People. He has written four books, published in several countries.

Chris has appeared at festivals including Hay, Bath Children's Literature festival and Mare