Start by marking “Sully: My Search for What Really Matters” as Want to Read:
Sully: My Search for What Really Matters

Sully: My Search for What Really Matters

Now a major motion picture from Clint Eastwood, starring Tom Hanks—the inspirational autobiography by one of the most captivating American heroes of our time, Capt. ‘Sully’ Sullenberger—the pilot who miraculously landed a crippled US Airways Flight 1549 in New York’s Hudson River, saving the lives of all 155 passengers and crew.

On January 15, 2009, the world witnessed a re
Published August 9th 2016 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Sully, please sign up.
Shinjini Saha I don't have the book in PDF but highly recommend reading the book! Extremely touching account of his life before and after Flight 1549. Much more tha…moreI don't have the book in PDF but highly recommend reading the book! Extremely touching account of his life before and after Flight 1549. Much more than what the movie has to offer. (less)

Start your review of Sully: My Search for What Really Matters
Will Byrnes
Captain Chesley “Sully” Sullenberger has written (with the help of Jeffrey Zaslow) a very readable memoir that details not only the specifics of his memorable Hudson River landing of flight 1549, but a very convincing explanation of how he was able to get it done.

description
Captain Sullenberger - image from Time Magazine

The book’s subtitle is “My Search for What Really Matters,” and while what Sullenberger reports may be aeronautical, it ain’t rocket science. It was a combination of his own talent as a p
Janete
Sep 27, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
DNF Page 139. The book's beginning was very good. He talks about his family and the values he learned from his parents and grandparents. But after this, there are small texts like a patchwork that tells a lot about air force's technical details and history; and his wife, kids, and coworkers.
Pamela

Excellent! Extraordinarily readable and fascinating. A highly recommendable, well written aviation memoir that is as enlightening as it is entertaining. One in which I originally bought with the intention of reading on my trip to visit family in North Carolina. Then I thought better of it. I mean, who in their right mind, on a long intercontinental flight, reads a book about a catastrophic bird strike, emergency landing on the Hudson river?

Not my brightest idea, right? So instead, I waited unti
HBalikov
Apr 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"For a pilot, LaGuardia, is a more challenging environment than the average airport. The volume of traffic in the New York area makes it a complicated airspace, with so many planes vying for slots to take off and land. There are three major airports in close proximity---JFK, Newark and LaGuardia--pluse smaller facilities such as Westchester County Airport in White Plains and Teterboro in New Jersey."

All this just adds to the challenge of a normal takeoff, but Flight 1549 was not about to have a
Leila
Although the extraordinary brave feat successfully achieved by pilot Sully was so big when it happened and a great movie was successfully made to honour this brave man... I personally found this book about his life in general and the incident when his plane came down in the river Hudson in particular... rather dry and heavy going. I'm sure there will be many others though, especially pilots who will really enjoy the book.
Betsy Robinson
Aug 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a ride! Sully Sullenberger’s life and experiences that prepared him to do the right thing at the right time, landing US Air 1549 on the Hudson River and saving all 155 souls aboard, is an exercise in diligence, integrity, and introspection. Sully is a cerebral guy, and you get to hear every thought he didn’t have time to think in the 208 seconds between getting hit by birds and landing in the water. I feel as if I’ve had a peek into the life of a pilot. There is a lot to learn here.
***
I rea
Fred
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: other
The book is great & describes Captain Sully Sullenburger's life more than his heroic successful landing of US Airway flight 1549 into the cold NY Hudson River on January 15, 2009 when birds destroyed both engines after takeoff. LaGuardia or Newark airports were not alternatives with no engines. He "glided" into the Hudson & saved everyone.

It describes his life & the commercial airlines. Orville Wright's first flight was in 1903, 106 years before Flight 1549 & people expect no flight accidents. 3
Bobbie
Mar 04, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have profound respect and admiration for Captain Sullenberger. Because of his lifetime of hard work and dedication, his clear thinking and his respect for life, a tragedy was averted that day on the Hudson.
Dagny
Dec 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Hudson River landing is absolutely riveting! I watched tv coverage at the time and have seen the movie twice and those few minutes between the bird strike and the landing were still breathless reading. A true American hero, the book goes into his early love of flying, lessons and his career as a pilot.
Aug 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thoroughly enjoyable story, told in a humble, no nonsense way. It reinforced my belief, ordinary people, living a life of preparation, may do extraordinary things.
Christopher
Oct 17, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography-memoir
Most people when they see this book will probably think that it is only about the now famous "Miracle on the Hudson" airplane accident that captivated the nation in Jan. 2009. But it is actually a lot more than that. Mr. Sullenberger, with the aid of Mr. Zaslow, have written a fine autobiography about his life, the love of flying he has had since he was a young boy, and the values and life experiences that prepared him for this one-in-a-billion emergency. As Mr. Sullenberger admits, he is just a ...more
BookHound 🐾
Sep 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
The events described in this book had been pretty much unknown to me. But after seeing the movie and then reading the book, it brought the events into detail.
Chesley Sullenberger's courage in what was undoubtedly a scary situation permeates the narrative of the miracle on the Hudson. It gives insight to life in the cockpit of commercial planes, and the situations they have to face as they do their job, and a new appreciation for the pilots that transport us around the world every day.
Thom
Aug 14, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Reading this is like sitting down and hearing some anecdotes from the author, not quite enough for a full biography. Liked the emphasis on preparation and doing the job right; the later chapters were far better than the earlier ones. Wanted to read this before seeing the upcoming film.
Consuela
I enjoyed this book. The author makes the case that his miraculous landing of the disabled plane on the Hudson last January was a culmination of a life lived paying attention to what he was doing (especially flying) and carefully following the rules. I enjoyed reading about his passion for flying starting at age 5 and how he began lessons at age 16. It's wonderful to read about someone who is so focussed that he never had any doubt about his direction in life. His time at the Air Force Academy a ...more
 Li'l Owl
An Excellent book! An education in history, humanity, and humility for sure. But this is not just a thrilling story about a plane crash. No. I am left with an overall sense of..... a kind of peace? A warm feeling around my heart? Yes. But the grace in which Sully lived, and lives still, and his love of flying.... It's a very unexpectedly different, but fantastic, book then I thought it would be. You simply MUST READ THIS BOOK! I will be forever changed, gratefully so, because Sully, The Crew, an ...more
Marty
Mar 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017, non-fiction
An interesting enough guy with an interesting enough life (eventually) caught in an extraordinary situation. It was all a bit self-professed and preachy - love my family, love my job, love my country - for me to enjoy it more. Nearly gave up halfway through when the "miracle on the Hudson" was still no more than a passing mention. I can see how this would be more appealling if I was American.
Lori
Dec 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoir, non-fiction
I imagine most people have heard about the jet that was forced to land in the Hudson River in January of 2009 { wow was it that long ago?} Chesley B. Sullengerger was the pilot of that jet. He instantly became famous after that historic landing. He wrote a memoir later that year. Not only does he devote a few chapters to the six minute flight where the jet hit a bunch of large birds and was forced to land in the Hudson river. He also shares about the rest of his life. Growing up in Texas. Joinin ...more
April Williams
Having not seen the film adaptation, I wanted to read Sully's account of landing his plane on the Hudson, along with finding out more about him as an individual. The writing in the book does tend to skip around and circle back to different topics. I was a bit disappointed that after describing the events leading up to and during the landing of his plane, he did not go into any great detail about the investigation that was done following; instead mainly addressing the cockpit conversation. Overal ...more
Ken
Dec 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I purchased this book having loved the movie and wanted to find out more.
Like most autobiographies the events that the person your intreated in doesn't occur until the second half of the novel, so it was fascinating to learn more about Sully's career which also included many aviation statics.
Alexis
Feb 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Loved it! How he's explaining what he does, his thoughts, his life up to this incident. People may not think to much of pilots and that but they do an amazing job day in day out without them we couldn't get anywhere
A Girl Has No Name
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, biography
4 stars!

While I was always fascinated by the story of the Hudson river plane landing, it was a pleasure to read this biography and to get a better understanding of all the happening! Very catchy, couldn't stop reading!
menna hafez
Nov 05, 2019 rated it liked it
I loved both the book and the movie specially that Tom Hanks is the Actor
Donna
Aug 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, biography
This is not the story of a hero. Sullenberger does not call himself a hero. Nor does his wife. His actions were not voluntary. He did not run into a burning building to save someone.

He reacted to circumstances for which he was over-trained and over-experienced. A pilot with regular training, who had not had Air Force training on jets, 40 years of experience flying, years of study of what went wrong in airplane disasters as well as how to prevent them, and military training and discipline, would
Kathleen (Kat) Smith
Sometimes in own lives, we have the distinct privilege of seeing a miracle in our life, yet on January 15, 2009, 155 people on US Airways flight 1549 and the world watched as one man saved the lives of everyone on board when a flock of birds took out both engines on the plane and forced Captain "Sully" Sullenberger to make a decision to ditch the plane in the Hudson River. It couldn't have been a more text book crash landing and one that saved the lives of everyone on board the plane.

But what l
Jerry Peterson
Aug 21, 2018 rated it liked it
This is the pilot who brought an airliner in for a dead-stick landing on the Hudson River in 2009. Lots of television footage of the event. We all saw it multiple times. One hundred fifty-five passengers and Sullenberger’s crew all came out of it safe, with only a few sustaining minor injuries.

Darn spectacular considering, if a wingtip had caught in the water, the jet would have cartwheeled and been torn apart, killing all.

The incident happened on January 15, 2009, and William Morrow brought out
Nicole
Oct 15, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was an enjoyable read, but you had to go through 200 pages until he really starts talking about flight #1549 and I found the first part of the book somewhat slow. But by the end, I liked learning about how his attention to detail and personal commitment to safety really made the difference between life and death for those 155 passengers. I also liked learning all the different meanings people placed on the whole event.
Brigette
I thought the first 60% of the book went very sllllllooooowwww - I think that entire first part should have been condensed into half the number of pages. The last 40% is where he finally describes the actual crash into the Hudson and the ensuing celebrity status afterwards. I'd give the first part of the book 2* and the second part 3.5*.
Rod Brown
Apr 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-real-books
Much of this autobiography is as heavy handed as its subtitle, and I'd normally rate it three stars, but it gets an extra star because its Sully, dammit, and even though he's a bit of a dork, he landed that plane like a steely-eyed motherfucker just doing some shit that needed to get done. I cried gallons, even more than when I watched the Tom Hanks movie last fall.
Tammy Eades
Oct 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book. I loved the way the book portrayed Capt Sully's life and how he came up to that day of Fight 1549 on Jan 15, 2009
Kimball
Wow. 5.5 stars. Man, I ate this book up. It was put together so well with tons of details. If you think about it, it's just a story about the crash into the Hudson, but when you dig deep it was so much more than that one event. Many lives were prepared and foreordained for January 15, 2009 and for so many reasons. It's amazing how this story gave hope to thousands at a time when there was nothing but despair and uncertainty for our country. This was like a fairy-tale disaster. Sully was the perf ...more
Mentor Texts: mentor texts 1 3 Mar 09, 2020 07:33PM
Contemporary YA: Chesley B. Sullenberger 3 10 Sep 03, 2016 12:53PM

• QF32
  • A Captain's Duty: Somali Pirates, Navy SEALs, and Dangerous Days at Sea
  • Skyfaring: A Journey with a Pilot
  • No Man's Land: the untold story of automation and QF72
  • The Crash Detectives: Investigating the World's Most Mysterious Air Disasters
  • I Know You Got Soul: Machines With That Certain Something
  • Fatal Descent: Andreas Lubitz and the Crash of Germanwings Flight 9525 (Kindle Single)
  • Miracle on the Hudson: The Survivors of Flight 1549 Tell Their Extraordinary Stories of Courage, Faith, and Determination
  • Sunrise on Half Moon Bay
  • The Art of Clowning
  • Crude World: The Violent Twilight of Oil
  • Counterfeiter: How a Norwegian Jew survived the Holocaust
  • Under an Afghan Sky: A Memoir of Captivity
  • The Secret Language of Astrology: The Illustrated Key to Unlocking the Secrets of the Stars
Chesley Burnett "Sully" Sullenberger III is an American airline transport pilot (ATP), safety expert, and accident investigator from Danville, California,who successfully carried out the emergency ditching of US Airways Flight 1549 in the Hudson River, offshore from Manhattan, New York City, on January 15, 2009, thus saving the lives of the 155 people on the aircraft. He is an international speake ...more

News & Interviews

“We all have heard about ordinary people who find themselves in extraordinary situations. They act courageously or responsibly, and their efforts are described as if they opted to act that way on the spur of the moment... I believe many people in those situations actually have made descisions years before.” 8 likes
“Everyone’s reputation is made on a daily basis. There are little incremental things—worthwhile efforts, moments you were helpful to others—and after a lifetime, they can add up to something. You can feel as if you lived and it mattered.” 4 likes