Start by marking “The Emerald Tablet (Five Elements, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Emerald Tablet (Five Elements, #1)

The Emerald Tablet

(Five Elements #1)

Five elements. Four friends. One cityand its sinister shadow. The action-packed adventure of Percy Jackson meets the elemental magic of Avatar: The Last Airbender in this epic new middle grade series.

I name myself water.
I name myself air.
I name myself earth.
I name myself fire.

When Gabe and his friends find a strange old map in his uncles office, follow it to a crumbling
Published October 18th 2016 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about The Emerald Tablet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Emerald Tablet

Start your review of The Emerald Tablet (Five Elements, #1)
Michelle
The cover of this book is amazing, I really liked to sound of it, however, it didn't deliver like I was hoping. It has a LOT of info dumped at you and as much as I thought some of the characters were good, I wasn't a fan of them all, I think it missed a lot of build all around and it took to long at time to get to the next part of the story. I felt like the did more talking and running around than actually doing anything. Once I got to about 78% I think it started to pick up a bit on the action ...more
Kathy Martin
Sep 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The setting is San Francisco. Four middle grade friends are having an adventure following the map they "borrowed" from Gabe's Uncle Steve to a underground location where they are planning a friendship ritual. Unbeknownst to the rest, one the the kids, Brett Hernandez, is being guided by someone who has come to him in his dreams and is playing on the guilt he feels about the death of his older brother.

The friendship ritual in the underground cavern endows the four kids with elemental powers.
Hannah Belyea
After performing an elemental ritual with his friends Lily, Brett and Kaz, Gabe returns to a home destroyed and a missing uncle, all connected to a dangerous cult and the parallel world they're trying to reach - one filled with terrifying monster and untapped magick! Jolley begins an interesting series full of deadly creatures and wit that will hold young audiences with every scary monster run-in. Fire, water, earth, air...but there should be five elements...
Jessica Robbins
Feb 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For complete review check out my blog at http://booksaplentybookreviews.blogsp...
Amina D'Anima
Jul 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, tbr-2020
un livre jeunesse fantasy comme je les aime :D de la magie, de l'humour, de l'action, des rebondissements, des créatures terrifiantes, un univers cauchemardesque... bref j'ai hâte de lire la suite!
MaryLibrarianOH
San Francisco has a magical past that is coming back to haunt it.

Mostly world and some character building. High on action adventure and good start to this new series.
Cassie James
The Emerald Tablet by Dan Jolley is now one of my favorite middle grade books out there. It's full of magical awesomeness, great friendships, ferocious monsters, heroic adventures, wonderful characters and an intriguing plot. This is definitely one of the best Middle Grade books I've read in 2016, I can compare Dan Jolley's works to that of Rick Riordan, Richard Paul Evans and E.G Foley.
Gabe, Lily, Brett, Kaz and even Jackson are one of the most intriguing characters I've read about. Not just
Adriana
May 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Entertaining, action-packed, and full of interesting bits and pieces.
The beginning of an adventure to save the world from magic by using magic, The Emerald Tablet works because it keeps things relatively simple without talking down to it's younger readers. There's action, sacrifices, double-crossings, hidden agendas, and dragons. What kid wouldn't like it?
The only thing that kept me from giving this the full five star review is that the characters feel a bit half-formed and like we (the readers)
Mizu
Apr 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cest un ouvrage destiné à la jeunesse mais qui, selon moi, est écrit de manière intelligente et possède plusieurs niveaux de lectures et peut plaire à un public plus âgé sans aucun problème. Les lecteurs fans daventure et de jeunes personnages intelligents mais faillibles, apprécieront sans aucun doute cet ouvrage.

Ma chronique complète
Great Books
Oct 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ages-9-11
Seven cities in the last twelve years. Gabe doesnt want to leave San Francisco and the friends hes made here. Gabe, Lily and Kaz decide to take him on one last adventure. They borrow Uncle Steves old map and the instructions for a ritual call The Power of the Elements that promises to bind them together forever. They all learn that Gabes bloodline holds a secret to a world unlike anything they have ever known. Can the elements and the four friends keeps the worlds apart. Reviewer #25 ...more
Jeff Raymond
A mystical tablet unlocks the powers of the elements in some kids, throwing them ino a multigenerational conflict that's bloody and violent and super exciting. A really solid middle grade fantasy that feels like it should be older than it is, and with a lot of great things going on in it for a series that I do hope to spend more time with in the future. A great, surprising read.
Suleiman heyidar
Feb 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
very good if you like murder and fantasy
Daphne van der Meer
Aidan
Oct 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book a lot I thought it was very interesting. I would give this book 4 stars because it was able to catch my attention from the very begging and I'm not a big reader so that was really good. I would trade give this book 5 stars because I thought that the book could have been a bit clearer in some points. Once you passed the second chapter all this information hit you which was nice to keep you intrigued, but it was a little confusing. I couldn't put this book down I liked it suck ...more
hana
Mar 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: libby, ya-kids, 1st, r2017
Unwanted to leave San Francisco and the friends hes made here. Gabe rebel.
Brett, Lily, and Kaz decide to take Gabe on one last adventure. They borrow Uncle Steves old map and the instructions for a ritual call The Power of the Elements that promises to bind them together forever. Unknowing to the rest, one the kid, Brett Hernandez, is being guided by someone who has come to him in his dreams and is playing on the guilt he feels about the death of his older brother.

The kids find themselves in a
Belledenuit
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent premier tome qui met en avant 4 adolescents qui découvrent le monde de la magie et des éléments. Un très bon page-turner qu'on lâche à regret. Heureusement que j'ai le tome 2 dans ma PAL :-)
Dennis H.
Sep 26, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure
Book is boring. Gabe finds a hidden map in his uncle's attic with his friends to go on a magical journey. Nothing exciting really happens in it. Honestly, it's a waste of a time to read it.
Rebecca
Aug 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Slow starter and confusing world building at first. It took me a while to get into the story and to connect to the characters, but once you do, you are hooked to the end!!
Sunny Kim
Mar 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was fun because the four friends got powers.
Omari Goins
Dec 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Something happened to brett
Luis
Jun 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was pretty good except for the fact that in the middle of the book it gets a little boring
Stuart Schadt
Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great story. Great adventure.

A great first in a series. It wraps up is story enough to be more than satisfying while leaving enough unresolved to make me want to go On reading.
the real Italian reader
This book was ok and you would like it if you enjoy fantasy books involving the elements like water, fire, air, Earth.
Logan
Jun 05, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
There were moments that were graphic in this book. I ended up skipping sections entirely.
Shawna and her love of books
J'avais oublié les émotions que je ressentais à la lecture de ce livre...
Dylan
Sep 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
good
Becky
Four friends unlock the secrets of an ancient mystery and find themselves pulled into a secret society.

This book had a good premise but at times it felt slow and the characters underdeveloped.
Kendra Lee
Dec 08, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: harpercollins
An entertaining middle grade read. I think actual kids reading at this level might enjoy it, it does have some very fun, creative elements. But when compared to something like Percy Jackson, it's not quite as clever or fun. That being said, it has appeal to both boys and girls.
DGPL Kids
No AR as of 12-13-16

No Lexile as of 12-13-16

-NML
Evaelle
Apr 26, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Shadow Cipher (York, #1)
  • Lad: A Dog
  • The House of Dies Drear (Dies Drear Chronicles, #1)
  • Sound Bender (Sound Bender #1)
  • Wild Born (Spirit Animals, #1)
  • Big Nate Blasts Off (Big Nate Novels, #8)
  • Football Champ (Football Genius, #3)
  • Icefall
  • Master of the Phantom Isle (Dragonwatch, #3)
  • The Colossus Rises (Seven Wonders, #1)
  • Island of Graves (Unwanteds, #6)
  • The Tomb of Shadows (Seven Wonders, #3)
  • No Summit out of Sight: The True Story of the Youngest Person to Climb the Seven Summits
  • Island of Fire  (Unwanteds, #3)
  • Ice Wolves (Elementals, #1)
  • Bliss (The Bliss Bakery, #1)
  • 13 Gifts (Willow Falls, #3)
  • No Safety in Numbers (No Safety in Numbers, #1)

Five Elements (3 books)
  • The Shadow City (Five Elements #2)
  • The Crimson Serpent (Five Elements #3)