Start by marking “Chasing the Stars” as Want to Read:
Chasing the Stars

Chasing the Stars

Olivia and her twin brother Aidan are heading alone back to Earth following the virus that wiped out the rest of their crew, and their family, in its entirety.

Nathan is part of a community heading in the opposite direction. But on their journey, Nathan’s ship is attacked and most of the community killed. Only a few survive.

Their lives unexpectedly collided, Nathan and Oli
Published April 21st 2016 by Penguin Random House

To ask other readers questions about Chasing the Stars, please sign up.
Faith-Ella I asked Malorie on Twitter about this and she confirmed that there will be a sequel!

Alice-Elizabeth (marriedtobooks)
This was the local YA Book Club pick of the month for February! I was given a copy through the library in exchange for an honest review.

I have read one of Malorie's books before (Noughts and Crosses) when I was 11 and at the time found it a tricky book to read. I was nervous to try reading another one of her books but seeing this was a Shakespeare reimagined version of Othello set in space, I was intrigued. If there's one thing I love about books, its when they are set in space. Also, having not
Maddie
May 26, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: library-books
Unfortunately, this book had way too much insta-love, and I felt like I'd read the whole murder mystery in space thing in Across The Universe, so, it's a no from me.
Charnell (Reviews from a Bookworm)
I wanted to love this but I'm so disappointed. The instalove in this is just too fucking much for me. Plus it was a little too predictable. And it had a completely unsatisfying end too. Full review to come.
Elisha
1.5 stars.

It's never nice to give a book such a low rating, especially not when it's a book that you were really looking forward to. However, I can't lie and say that I enjoyed this. I really didn't. Sadly, this book didn't work for me at all and that's a shame because I was so certain that I was going to love it.

This book is marketed as a YA gender-swapped retelling of Othello which takes place in outer space. Although I'm not a sci-fi fan, I was fascinated by the premise because Othello is my
Mina Rehman
Apr 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Screw you, Blackman, for lulling me into a false sense of security, making me believe I was reading something light and fluffy, before ripping my heart out and tearing it to pieces!

But then again, what kind of an idiot would believe that a Shakespeare tragedy retold by Malorie Blackman would be "light and fluffy"? I brought this onto myself.
Kauser
Aug 19, 2016 rated it did not like it
It physically pains me that this book is written by the author of Noughts and Crosses. I'd like to think it doesn't exist and that I never read it. Because believe me when I say that Chasing the Stars was laughably dreadful. Just utterly, laughably dreadful.

Olivia and her twin brother, Aidan, have been travelling alone in space for three years and are headed towards Earth after their entire family and crew were wiped out by a virus leaving just the two of them to survive. But when they receive a
Lulai
Jan 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
So this book as some defaut. The book cheesy in so many way but I love what malorie did and the risk she has taken. I closed my book and I just laught which does not happen thaht often.
I know this book doesn't work for a lot but I really like it.
And maybe we could have a sequel, because there is a lot of stuff to work on.
Siobhan
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Malorie Blackman is incredibly popular, and as I’ve only read one of her books I decided it was time to read more. When I went to the library to see what they had on offer, Chasing the Stars appealed to me the most. I love a good science fiction read, and when you add in the mysterious deaths I was doubly hooked.

Unfortunately, whilst there was a lot of potential with this one, I found myself mostly indifferent to things. I never came to connect to the characters, the story, or the romance, meani
Liv Wright
Jan 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
(No spoiler review)
I loved, loved the beginning and the ending!!! So one star for each!!!
The beginning was so hooking and instantly gripped my attention. I was so excited about reading it. I think because it started off so basic it made me what to know more and more about the story and the characters.
However when it reached the middle with Nathan I didn't like it at all!!! I felt as though it dragged and dragged. But not only this the story just got incredibly cheesy and annoying. I felt as tho
Alisha Tarran
Feb 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
I am a HUGE Malorie Blackman fan, and not just because she sent all of us booksellers Hummingbird Bakery cupcakes that one year! I remember reading Noughts and Crosses back when I was at school, and it's one of my favourite books, and I remember waiting for each new book to come out with baited breath! It was a given that I was going to read her latest book, but I mean....Shakespeare in space!? Blackman's book is begging to be read for that alone! I will admit, I've been in a near book slump so ...more
Pauliina Vuorinen (The Bookaholic Dreamer)
While Chasing the Stars has some interesting plot twists, at its core it is highly problematic and shows a very abusive relationship without ever recognising how toxic it is. This book doesn't condemn rape but rather shows it as a part of a relationship. NOT COOL

Olivia and her brother Aidan end up rescuing a bunch of stranded people from a supposedly abandoned planet that is in a hostile territory. One of these rescued people is Nathan who is our supposed love-interest but who I think is an a
Lucy Hazell
Apr 13, 2018 rated it did not like it
Nadine
May 19, 2016 rated it it was ok
(Thank you to Netgalley and Penguin Random House International for a free digital copy of this book.)
Olivia and her twin brother are the only survivors of an epidemic on board of their space-ship, they rescue Nathan and a bunch of other slaves and suddenly have to add about 30 people to their ship, some things get easier, but not everybody is pleased to be commanded by a teenage girl-captain.
Olivia and Nathan fall head over heels for each other, but as things get more complicated aboard, their
Jen | Jen Talks Audiobooks
I always have a highly emotional reaction to books, and in this case I have to say that I feel betrayed.
I feel betrayed because I nearly DNF'd it and now I wish I had. There are so many problems here.

The plot here was good but the execution was just ridiculous. Instalove? This was instantaneous love. The characters were so confusing. Maybe it's a British/American cultural difference but I found almost all the characters' actions unbelievable. For all their heartfelt emotions, they were cool, di
SJH (A Dream of Books)
I wanted to like this book. I thought that I would like it. It sounded right up my alley with a plot which is based on Shakespeare's Othello but set in space. How awesome does that sound?! I usually love books that are a spin on a Shakespeare play but this one didn't do it for me at all. There was too much sci-fi, I thought that the dialogue was quite wooden and clunky and I didn't find the relationships between the characters very believable, especially the insta-love between Vee and Nathan.

The
Christiane (Pages Unfolding)
Colour me disappointed! I loved the Noughts & Crosses series, but none of Blackman's other YA novels I have read could live up to my expectations. As for this one, I'm not even sure who the intended audience is. Some sex scenes are a little too explicit for middle schoolers, but teenagers and young adults will be bored by run-of-the-mill phrases, the instalove, cheesy vows of eternal love and the lack of a gripping plot. Plus, the characters' behaviour was too annoying to give the book three ...more
Maya Elliott
May 02, 2017 rated it did not like it
This book is probably the worst book I've ever read, i feel like it is way to young for the age group it is aimed at but contains graphic sex scenes which make it too old for an age group that may actually enjoy it. I also had a HUGE problem with Nathan, he was rude and a poorly developed character.

The icing on the disgusting cake was definitely how Nathan ordered V to perform a sexual act in order for him to forgive her and get back together with her. This is abuse and even know V said no that
Siri
May 31, 2016 rated it did not like it
oh i am confused if i liked this book or not. I can say that I got disapointed as hell, cause of the insta love and their personality.
I mean how fucking dumb can you be?? i got annoyed at both main characters, they have seriosly trust issues. they either think the worst of each other or of themselfs...
the only thing that I actually liked was how close Vee or Olivia and aidan where as siblings. they where so sweet and you could se how much they loved each other.
this book is supposed to be an r
Beth Bonini
There are two stories here: one is a sci-fi adventure, and the other is an 'insta-love' romance with shades of Othello (jealousy, insecurity, paranoia, and some Iago-like manipulation). Although I suspect that there are plenty of the holes in the sci-fi world-building, I wasn't bothered to figure out if the story really knitted together or not; the point is there was some suspense and adventure and intrigue and aliens and spaceship technology. Not to mention drones, robots, ion fields, worm hole ...more
Leanne Wain
May 04, 2017 rated it did not like it
Originally reviewed at http://mythoughtsaboutbooks.blogspot....

Oh dear. I full blown love you, Malorie Blackman, but this was not good. I had heard the premise of this book at YALC last year- a super modern, feisty femaled, gender swapped Othello in space. Sounds good, right? Then it made it to the YA Book Prize shortlist and I was all WOOO! Sci-Fi on prize lists! Shut the air lock door! But then I read it and was so disappointed.

So Vee and Aidan are the sole crew of the Earth ship Aidan. Their
Tien
I read that this book was marketed as an Othello retelling in space which got me all excited. Until I hit the romance. I don't mind instalove as I know some people do but the romance in this book is laid on a bit thick. And that's an understatement. There were so many cliches and some parts were just so corny that even my most romantic side gagged.

I don't think I'm a prude but I definitely did NOT expect that much sexual content in a YA book. Added to the quantity, the style of writing this sexu
Tammy Stewart
Aug 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Berenice
Aug 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Emer
I adored this.
Utterly adored.

It's completely batshit crazy. Filled with toxic, all encompassing (insta) love, jealousy, hatred, betrayal, murder.... Basically it's one shiny book of soap opera type drama set in space and loosely inspired by Shakespeare's Othello.
WHAT IS NOT TO LOVE?????

I mean okay... It's utterly ridiculous with a big ol' dollop of far fetchedness regarding SO many things which might be a problem for some people... Just not me. I loved it. It's trashy over dramatic brilliance
Bookmeaway
Jan 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3,5*
assez rapide à lire. l'histoire n'a pas tourné comme je l'avais imaginé mais j'ai bien aimé ma lecture. quelques défauts à noter notamment un élément qui a envahi toute l'histoire (même un peu trop). je suis curieuse de savoir ce qu'il se passera après. une suite de prévu ?
Heather
Dec 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
Othello in space. Took some effort at times to continue but overall it was alright, and I kept getting little hooks from Vee and Nathan just at the right moment to keep on going.
Oct 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
Barely, barely two stars. I had so, so many problems with this one. Here's just some: (view spoiler) . . .ugh
Milly
Aug 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Alyce Hunt
Despite the fact that it got surprisingly better towards the end, it was still so slow and clunky that I can't give it higher than 3 stars.
Full review coming tomorrow.

EDIT 24/05/17:

'I kept telling myself I had to be cracked to put myself in the hands of someone I'd known for such a short space of time, but it felt so right, so... natural.'

Vee and her brother Aidan have been alone on their ship since the entire crew - including their parents - died three years ago.

Nathan is a fugitive, on the run
Rose
I didn't realise when I started reading this book it was a retelling of the Shakespeare play Othello. As I am not familiar with that particular play I am just going to ignore that fact in my review (for better or worse) and judge it as if it was an original stand alone story.

This is a sub-parr space mystery that is very predictable and not the most intellectually challenging. It mostly centres around the two main leads (Vee and Nathan) and there terribly developed romance.

I have read the Nough
The YA Book Prize...: Discussion - Chasing the Stars by Malorie Blackman 5 7 Apr 12, 2017 01:56AM
This book doesn't exist 2 32 Mar 02, 2017 05:14AM

• Needlework
  • We See Everything
  • Cakes in Space
  • Barefoot on the Wind (The Moonlit Lands, #2)
  • Back to Life (Rachel Riley, #5)
  • Dead Man's Handle (Modesty Blaise #12)
  • Future Lost (Future Shock, #3)
  • Perijee and Me
  • The Red Ribbon
  • Death in the Spotlight (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #7)
  • Resonance
  • The Sisters Mederos (Tales of Port Saint Frey, #1)
  • Nothing Tastes as Good
  • Goth Girl and the Pirate Queen
  • Velocity
  • Phoenix Rising
  • A Change Is Gonna Come
An award-winning children's author, Malorie Blackman was honoured with an OBE in 2008. Her work has been adapted for TV and stage.

More information available at: