Start by marking “The Gallery of Wonders (Magora #1)” as Want to Read:
The Gallery of Wonders (Magora #1)

The Gallery of Wonders

(Magora #1)

Middle Grade Fiction. Ages: 8 and up.

Eleven-year-old Holly O’Flanigan discovers an unusual paintbrush and a canvas with the image of a fantasy world that her late grandfather has left behind. She falls into the magical land of Magora, where everything and everyone is made of paint.

There she learns to weave art and magic at Cliffony Art Academy, but her carefree life is
Published January 22nd 2016 by Misty Moon Books / Marc Remus

Start your review of The Gallery of Wonders (Magora #1)
[Shai] Bibliophage
Holly O' Flanigan lives with her distant relatives, the Smorall's, in Donkleywood; her parents died in an accident when she was still a baby so she never got the chance to know them. She used to live with her grandfather, Nikolas, but she was taken from him by the government because they perceived that he was unfit to take care of Holly. Instead of a relative, the Smoralls treat her like a maid and they made her sleep and always hide in the attic after she's done with her chores.

Her grandfather
Montzalee Wittmann
Apr 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Gallery of Wonders (Magora #1) by Marc Remus is a wonderful children's fantasy tale. It has lots of magic, adventure, mystery, suspense, humor, creatures of magic, and a world of wonder that even adults will like! The characters are well developed and unique. The dialogue is believable. The plot has LOTS of twists and turns and surprises along the way. Truly a great story for fantasy lovers everywhere. Great job!
Katie
Feb 04, 2016 rated it liked it
This is a fantastic fantasy novel for children. I like the idea of the gindars that can paint anything and make it come alive. Magical. As are the horrifying unfinished.
This is similar to Harry Potter. Too similar for me to get really into this. Similarities include: the street that is forbidden, the corridor that is closed to all students, the MSP, the nasty teacher that they suspect of wrongdoing, the bully, hearing voices, the prophecy and so on.
I like the underlying message that this has of
Jo-Marie Jo-Marie
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a great story. Marc Remus has mixed fantasy and reality into a beautiful piece of literature. His characters are totally believable and endearing. He makes his fantasy land of Magora come alive! This first book is a blend of action, adventure, and excitement with colorful characters and an amazing setting. If you love to read a great story, put this book at the top of your want to read list.
Toni
SO good! Can't wait to get started on the next book with my girls.
Review to come...
Nada Sobhi
LOVE IT!
Magora: The Gallery of Wonders is the first instalment in the Magora series by Marc Remus.
Note: I read the second book first but just had to pick up the first one. Each can be read as a standalone, but you'll be making connections if you read both.

Centred around Holly O'Flanigan, who is living with her distant and annoying relatives The Smoralls, Magora: The Gallery of Wonders opens with Holly seeing a fire breakout at her grandfather, Nikolas' house. We don't meet Nikolas because he
Lost.in.a.Book
Feb 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Gallery of Wonders, by Marc Remus, is a childrens fantasy book that follows a group of friends through their journey into an undiscovered world. After witnessing the horrific death of her grandfather, and being treated horribly by her aunt and uncle who are her caretakers, Holly and her 3 friends find themselves sucked into a painting of the magical world of Magora. While in Magora, Holly and her friends must learn the ways of magical painting, learn their true abilities, and overcome ...more
Rae Phillips
Apr 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Book 1 in a what looks to be a promising series

As a family we have been reading a lot of history of late, so it was time for a little fantasy fiction, not always my favourite genre but it is always a big hit with the kids.

When you are reading children’s fiction as an adult it is so important to take a breath and remember the readership and audience it was written for. As adults we have to suspend our imagination and allow ourselves to be absorbed by the narrative, not always easy when you are
Literary Classics Book Awards & Reviews
Following the tragic death of her grandfather, Holly and her friends are transported to a magical world hidden within a painting. This world, called Magora, is a fanciful land full of mystery and wonder. Holly prefers Magora over her home, where she has no family to speak of and her life is dismal at best. But she realizes Magora is just a fantasy, and that eventually they must return home to a land that is real.

Eleven year old Holly is a reluctant hero. Certain she doesn't possess the talents
Emmyjo
Jan 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Let me start off by saying I love this book and young kids will like it. The book cover is great. It really tells you what kind of book it may be.
I like how the author have a great descriptive style on everything in the book, made you feel like you were in the book. Holly the main character is so wonderful she diffently is a growth arc. Holly doesn't believe in herself and lives with distant cousins who treat her like crap because she is different. Believes in magic like her Grandfather. She is
Tayyab Ali
Mar 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book was great. I can't say enough good things about it. There was something for everyone, I found this book a real page turner and hard to put down, really well written and drawn into the characters, so much so I want to know more about "The Gallery of Wonders (Magora)" completely gripping and very sad to have finished it. I will probably re-read this book in the near future because its so good and just enough to keep you turning the pages. Couldn't put it down once I started reading. I ...more
phyllis
Apr 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Magora Escape

Billy's grandfather died and she was left with a family that treated her like a slave. Then, Holly and 3 of her friends fell into a painting of her grandfather's. It was a whole new world and it was called-Magora. As Holly and her friends look for a way home, she finds out that the Duke of Cuispider is looking for her. It has something to do with painting and a prophecy and Holly.
Dimitris
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book for anybody who likes magical worlds. In the world of Magora everything is about painting. It’s a fascinating story about a girl who falls into a painting and goes on a journey through a world of art and magic.

Even though I first got this book for a friend’s child, I quickly discovered that it’s also an enjoyable story for adults. When I started reading it myself I got hooked. Now I’m already on the second book in the series.

The story has lots of twists and a fantastic
Jennifer Rinker
Nov 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
A whole new world

The magical artistic world of Magora is a brand new adventure. It takes the typical group of young magical friends and throws in a creative twist. Instead of wands, they use paintbrushes, and creative adventure is around every corner.
Bobbie Kirkland
Jun 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received a free copy of The Gallery of Wonders, Magora Book 1, by Marc Remus in exchange for an honest review. Holly O’Flanigan is an orphan and is being required to stay with a foster family instead of with her grandfather. Her grandfather passes away and leaves Holly all alone. Shortly thereafter, Holly and three other children fall into the fantastical world of Magora. In Magora, the inhabitants use paintbrushes rather than wands to create magic. It seems to be a wonderful place; however, ...more
Jan farnworth
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In the veins of awesome middle grade fantasy this one will sit in wonder on my shelf right next to Harry Potter and Chronicles of Narnia. It an amazing story with loveable characters with a story that easily pulls you and you feel like your a part of this magical world in cased in stunning artwork. The author is a painter so he does a impeccable job of describing the brush strokes used in magic working, the details in paintings, and of course the wonderful way they traveled to Magora.
A.J. Dobbs
May 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
It's inevitable that books of this nature get compared to the 'gold standard' of Harry Potter but make no mistake, whilst Remus has clearly been influenced, and who hasn't, The Gallery of Wonders is a lovely book for children. It took me back to my childhood and The Magic Faraway Tree and Alice In Wonderland and for that I thank him. Books are so important for minds young and old and this one deserves a place on the shelf, virtual or real, of any young reader; go and buy it!
Lissa
Mar 05, 2017 rated it liked it
This is a cute story and is great for children. I loved the painted world and the idea of there being magic in painting and art, and I enjoyed the concept of painters who paint reality. However, there's a bit too much parallel between it and the Harry Potter series for it to read as completely original. I haven't read the others in the series to know if this continues.
Guy
Sep 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Huh! I’ve gotta read this series

I thoroughly enjoy children’s fantasies, and then I dread them to my youngest grandchildren. This series is now next in line, after we finish The Worst Witch series.
Thanks for opening another door to to the world of magic!
Cat
Aug 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Magical story I am sure kids 5th grade and up will find captivating! Love these tales! I think fans of Harry Potter will enjoy this story. As it is a series, too, there will be more to look forward to I hope!
I received a Kindle ARC from Netgalley in exchange for a fair review.
Susan
Jul 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-school
This is Harry Potter meets Narnia, and a little of Oz thrown in.
The chapter headings that gives different thoughts of fantasy and reality were especially enlightening.
Look forward to upcoming adventures.
Stella
Apr 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really liked the storyline. I think it has a lot of potential. The only thing wrong is that I was getting slightly annoyed whenever I got to a new simmilarity with Hp series, hence the 4 stars and not 5. But all in all, it's a cute read...
Patricia Kaniasty
Jun 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow!! This story was totally great. However, it was like "Harry Potter" rewritten with the names changed. The storyline followed "Harry Potter" to a tee. Just insert characters from one into the other. Sad but true. Good thing I loved the "Harry Potter" series.
James Hall jr.
Jun 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful and adventurous

Children should love this book. A good book to read to them. Now for the second book it must be more exciting, need to know what happens to Holly.
Susan Count
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved the descriptive imagery. Author had me at caramel-covered rabbits. Highly imaginative work of art :)
Lyssa Falcao
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Interesting book

Sometimes a bit confusing. The characters were good. Holly was full of self doubt and I kept hoping she would find her strength in herself.

Stacy Goodworth
Apr 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Interesting and unique.
Cecily Paterson
Nov 24, 2016 rated it liked it
An original story

The art references are very original and the plot kicks along at a good pace. Great world building and the dialogue is nicely done.
Heidi
Jul 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018
This was an interesting book to read, and I had mixed feelings throughout. I first saw this book via the OnlineBookClub’s Book of the Day program. The cover looked fun and the premise intrigued me. Though when I first began, I was a bit leery on how similar Holly’s situation was to Harry, in the Harry Potter series – an eleven-year-old who lost both parents and living with people who really dislike and mistreat her. However, I decided to continue reading, and I found the similarities to be ...more
Emily
May 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: abandoned
Great premise and great ideas, but unfortunately it is badly delivered. Way too much purple prose and dialogue that just sounds unnatural. I found it very hard to relate to any of the characters. In the end I had to abandon it. I always try to tale into account the intended audience and in this case that is not me, so I hope it is enjoyed by the younger readers, but sadly somehow I doubt it.
Book 5 is coming out! 1 1 Dec 20, 2018 01:02PM
The book just won the IPPY Award 2016 1 3 Apr 21, 2016 08:51AM
Thank you to all my readers 1 4 Apr 06, 2016 07:05PM

• Diary of a Private School Kid 2: Hot Dog Day
  • Elemental Origins: The Complete Series: (Water, Fire, Earth, Air, Aether, Ensemble Novel)
  • I'm a Kid! Get Me Out of Here! (Body Swap #2)
  • A Scaly Tale (Ripley's RBI, #1)
  • The Witch's Tower (Twisted Ever After, #1)
  • Alice (The Wanderland Chronicles, #1)
  • Steamborn (Steamborn, #1)
  • A Gathering Tempest (Broken Tides #0.5)
  • Destined for Greatness
  • Secrets at Synergy (U-District Mystery Romance, #1)
  • Dying for an Invitation
  • Diary of NINJA BOY & Fartypants 2: Attack of the Bathroom Pirates!
  • The Land Without Color
  • Diary of a Sixth Grade Ninja (Diary of a 6th Grade Ninja, #1)
  • Diary of an Almost Cool Girl - Books 2, 3 and 4: Books for Girls
  • Ice Wolves (Elementals, #1)
  • The Librarian (Book Three: A Pirate's Revenge) (Volume 3)
  • Frankie Sparrow: Private Investigator

Magora (4 books)
  • The Golden Maple Tree (Magora #2)
  • The Bridge in the Fog: Books for kids: A magical children's fantasy series. (Magora Book 3)
  • The Uprising: Books for kids: A magical children's fantasy series (Magora Book 4)
“The line between reality and fantasy has many shapes. It” 0 likes