Start by marking “King Baby” as Want to Read:
King Baby

King Baby

All hail King Baby!

King Baby is gracious--bestowing splendid smiles on his public, allowing tickles and hugs, and posing for photo after adorable photo. But he also has many demands, and when his faithful subjects let him down, King Baby himself must take royal action!
Published September 13th 2016 by Arthur A. Levine Books

To ask other readers questions about King Baby, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about King Baby

Start your review of King Baby
Jennie
May 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kid-lit, bea-2016
The most adorable book ever. I love how angry/imperious King Baby is.

As an aside, I got to meet Kate Beaton, and she is just a lovely human!
David Schaafsma
Nov 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
Each year I and my family read and rate all the Goodreads picture book nominees. This one is nominated for 2016. I make a few comments and then add their separate ratings and a comment from each of them. There's 20 (15 first round and 5 new ones for the semi-final round) and this is the sixteenth being rated. My rating might be somewhat influenced by the family, naturally. In this case my rating was the lowest in the family and so I honor especially the kid reviews, since they are closest to the ...more
Sara
Dec 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Ah Kate Beaton how I do adore you! Your rapier wit! Your chubby cheeked, squinty eyed characters, your barbed little quips! I could lose myself for hours in your wonderful website "Hark a Vagrant."

I swear if I was stuck on a desert island with only Ms. Beaton's work to keep me company I would be just fine.

This masterful little ode to babyhood had me hooting with glee and fondly ruffling my own cherubs tiny blond heads as I recalled all my own late nights and early mornings with my little kings.

B
Jon Nakapalau
Dec 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
King Baby has arrived! And because all babies have their throne room in the heart of the people who love them YOU WILL OBEY HIS EVERY COMMAND! MOM AND DAD...THIS STARTS WITH YOU! Very funny and warm look at how a baby becomes a tyrant of our love and affection.
Alex
Oct 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: babies
Shelves: children
While I love everything Kate Beaton does ever and ever, if you're only going to get one children's book by her it should be The Princess and the Pony. King Baby is cute and funny but the...plot doesn't really go anywhere? The beginning is funnier than the end. ...more
Michael Earp
Jun 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Amaze!! This book is GOLD! Its tone and comic timing are spot on! Love It!
Mehsi
As soon as I heard that Kate Beaton would have a new picture book out, I knew I had to have it. I love her art, and I also loved her previous picture book: The Princess and the Pony.

This book is all about a baby who thinks he is a king, he acts like that as well, but sadly, as you can imagine his royal subjects (aka his parents and family) can't understand him until he is a bit older. Until then he will be getting the wrong things for stuff he asks (like he wants his ducky, but gets a ball inst
Krista K.
Sep 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books, humor
All hail King Baby! When he arrives many come to see him and bring him gifts, but King Baby has many demands. His royal subjects (i.e. parents) patiently try and meet them all the while becoming increasingly more exhausted. As to be expected, they can't always understand what that baby wants, which leads to the baby doing things on his own.

Beaton's humorous illustrations always so perfectly compliment her wry text. I loved The Princess and the Pony, but I think I may like King Baby even more. A
Rebecca Honeycutt
Kate Beaton knows the score: that babies are adorable, helpless little tyrants.
Anmiryam
Sep 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Another awesome picture book from Kate Beaton!
Allie
Fantastic. Kate Beaton gets it. King Baby was so silly and fun, but just classic baby. If my BFF has another baby, I will definitely get her this book.
orangerful
Aug 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture_book
Great picture book, would be a fantastic gift for a baby shower but I think kids will enjoy hearing it too because weren't we all once King and Queen Babies?

Plus, I love Beaton's art style, even if King Baby reminds me a lot of Baby Finn from Adventure Time.
Library Maven
May 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016, siblings
Exactly what siblings of new babies need to know. "Uneasy is the head that wears the crown"!
Angie
May 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Absolutely hilarious. Loved it. So true of babies as well. They do rule the house and get whatever they want.
Hayley DeRoche
Sep 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kidlit
We are so lucky to have Kate Beaton. All hail Queen Beaton.
Thehappymeerkat
Sep 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
I received this paperback book for free from the publisher Walker Books in return for a review. The following is my honest opinion on this book:

All hail King Baby! For when he arrives many will come to see him and bring gifts. But he has many demands and his loyal subjects must feed him, burb him, change him, bring him his things…It is good to be the king.

This book is hilarious, I don’t think I’ve ever laughed out loud reading a children’s book as much as I have with this one. The book is around
Britt
Sep 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was on the floor laughing. At work.
I think this will be enjoyed by parents and children alike. And even the errant, childless person who merely works with children.
But what else did I expect from the author of Princess and the Pony?
Helen White
Jan 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: junior-teen
Perfect little story about King Baby who rules the family until he becomes a big boy. Great illustrations as always
Lata
Feb 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A story told from the baby's perspective of the way a new baby monopolizes one's life with its arrival. Really liked the illustrations.
Tasha
Nov 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
From the author of Hark! A Vagrant comes a second picture book. King Baby is born to loving and devoted subjects, his parents. People bring gifts and in return King Baby bestows blessings upon them. He smiles and coos, but a King can also be demanding. When he doesn’t get his toy fast enough, he can be cranky. And his subjects don’t understand his demands, so King Baby has to do something new and bold. He crawls! Then he starts to grow and grow into a Big Boy. But as he grows up, who will rule h ...more
Sharon
Nov 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
The creator of The Princess and the Pony and the sketch comics of Hark! A Vagrant now brings her legion of fans the story of an adorable tyrant: King Baby. The egg-shaped infant is flummoxed by the lack of acquiescence to his demands by his "foolish subjects": Mom and Dad. Beaton's picture book illustrations are colorful and expressive, but it is the hilarious internal monologue of King Baby that will delight Beaton's adult fans, and parents in particular. Beaton proves that picture books are no ...more
Alicia Evans
King Baby is the supreme ruler of everything and everyone shall worship him! This book is funny and very relatable. It will be great for new parents and for people with a new baby in their lives. And it's also a good one for new siblings!

For: readers wanting a wonderful book about the power babies seem to have over us all.

Possible red flags: tyranny.
Rachel
Oct 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Such a cute addition to Beaton's work for children. King Baby has his every whim fulfilled; his loyal subjects (his parents) wait on him hand and foot. But what happened when they can't understand his demands? King Baby must become...A BIG BOY.
Jackie "the Librarian"
I got to see Kate Beaton act this out at Book Expo! Baby is a benevolent, yet absolute ruler, who gets frustrated at times when his loyal servants don't understand his commands.
Hilarious and true, especially recommended for families with recent new arrivals.
Julie
Sep 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
FAB-U-LOUS
Peter
Oct 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
The best read for anyone with a four year old big brother or sister and parents as well
Cindy Dobrez
Oct 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
What a hoot. Fun take on the new-baby-in-the-family trope with bright, joyful illustrations. Bookends Blog post coming soon.
Kate
I'm so happy that Kate Beaton is doing picture books now! King Baby is a demanding ruler, but he knows when to step down and allow the next monarch to have her reign.
LynnDee (LynnDee's Library)
Not as good as "The Princess & the Pony", but still awesome. ...more
Pooja
Aug 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
Babies need to be treated royally. This book proves the statement. It couldn't have been more adorable.
Goodreads Librari...: Please add Book Cover to e-book 3 17 Sep 04, 2019 07:45AM

• You Are New
  • The Bad Mood and the Stick
  • You Don't Want a Unicorn!
  • There Are No Bears in This Bakery
  • Little Penguins
  • Owls Are Good at Keeping Secrets: An Unusual Alphabet
  • Fox & Chick: The Party: and Other Stories
  • Albert's Quiet Quest
  • The Cool Bean (The Bad Seed, #3)
  • I Am a Story
  • The Rabbit Listened
  • Penguin Problems
Kate Beaton was born in Nova Scotia, took a history degree in New Brunswick, paid it off in Alberta, worked in a museum in British Columbia, then came to Ontario for a while to draw pictures, then Halifax, and then New York, and then back to Toronto.

News & Interviews