Start by marking “Dog Man (Dog Man, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dog Man (Dog Man, #1)

Dog Man

(Dog Man #1)

4.21  ·  Rating details ·  16,689 ratings  ·  1,153 reviews
From worldwide bestselling author and artist Dav Pilkey comes Dog Man, the canine cop who's part dog, part man, and ALL HERO!
George and Harold have created a new breed of justice. With the head of a dog and the body of a human, this heroic hound digs into deception, claws after crooks, rolls over robbers, and scampers after squirrels. Will he be able to resist the call of
Published August 30th 2016 by Graphix

To ask other readers questions about Dog Man, please sign up.
Dan Perhaps the word "attacks" is not the most appropriate word to use in this situation. I was simply pointing out that you have not read the book--- AND…morePerhaps the word "attacks" is not the most appropriate word to use in this situation. I was simply pointing out that you have not read the book--- AND that the book contains no misspellings, as you have implied.

The book you admitted to reading was a 64 page promotional booklet, NOT the actual book. To be clear, none of the material in the promotional booklet you read appears in the actual book. The actual book, which has a different cover, and 240 pages of all new material, doesn't come out for five more months.

This was not an attack --- just a clarification.(less)

·  16,689 ratings  ·  1,153 reviews

Start your review of Dog Man (Dog Man, #1)
Lola
Feb 16, 2020 rated it liked it
This is ridiculous but also kind of fun at the same time.
Tisha
Feb 19, 2016 rated it did not like it
I am not a fan of intentional misspelling and bad grammar.
Theresa Grissom
Aug 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Oh my gosh, this book is HYSTERICAL!! I haven't laughed this hard in a good while. As an elementary librarian, I can see this book being highly popular with 2nd-5th grade. And a sequel in January 2017? Yeah!! This one's a winner Dav Pilkey!
Michelle Kelley
I am a huge fan of Captain Underpants and loved the days I would read them aloud to my son, Tra-La-LA!-ing and fliporama-ing and laughing along the way. So I was super excited for Dog Man, another Pilkey Underpants companion book. While I thought the level of potty humor in the Underpants books I read were just right - enough to appeal to boys but not enough to be completely tasteless, I thought Dog Man just took it too far. I sat through enough pee and poop references without flinching until ...more
Jason
I really appreciate how Pilkey pushes boundaries of good taste here, but in a way that's going to thrill kids and probably annoy adults. The whole premise for Dog Man is a little macabre--a dog gets his head sewed onto a cop's body--but because the whole thing is couched in such silliness, you're not inclined to put that much thought into it. My favorite moment was when two cops high five each other while one of them is holding a pile of crap, and it splatters everywhere. Soooo gross, but if ...more
Erica
Nov 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
this book was hilarious. god bless this book. omg. hi. hello. it's me. this book is funny.
Mariam
Dec 20, 2018 added it
Shelves: comices
I like it beacause it is funny
Josiah
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
Fourth-graders George Beard and Harold Hutchins sure know how to tickle the funnybone, don't they? Whether they're creating adventures for Super Diaper Baby, Captain Underpants, or Dog Man, theirs is a sublime mix of intentional and unintentional comedy, superintended by that great funnyman of children's literature, author and illustrator Dav Pilkey. Based on George and Harold's earliest sketches, Dog Man is a unique hero dedicated to stopping evildoers, and chapter one of this book is his ...more
Melki
For years now, boys in the 7 to 10 age range have been asking for the Dog Man series. Since that seems to be the age group where the male sex frequently gives up on reading for pleasure, Miss Nancy finally relented, and now we have the first four volumes on our library shelves.

I can definitely see what all the fuss was about.

Unlike the Captain Underpants series, these are full-on graphic novels, full of gross humor, and wacky situations: poop jokes, hot dogs coming to life and plotting mayhem.
Scott Robins
May 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gn-kids
The first graphic novel under the Graphix imprint for Dav Pilkey will not disappoint kid readers. In fact, it maintains a lot of the charm and humour from his Capt Underpants series but feels totally new and original. Continues to push boundaries in regards to crass, scatalogical and off-colour humour - I laughed out loud in many parts, which means your kids will be rolling on the floor reading this.
Aliza Werner
Supa good! Many laugh out loud moments and clever ideas. Kids will gobble this up.
Margie
Heroes come in all shapes and sizes, human and non-human. They can be ordinary individuals placed in extraordinary circumstances, the victors in an unexpected challenge. Some heroes have remarkable skills or characteristics unknown to others until a situation demands their use. Heroes can be a part of everyday life or come from the pages of fiction.

For a moment let's agree on two things. Dogs' lives are simply too short. Not all humans use their brain power to its fullest capacity. In the
Nicola Mansfield
Sep 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This newest book by Dav Pilkey is a full-colour graphic novel. While wondering about the loose threads left at the end of the last Captain Underpants book George and Harold start searching their house and come upon hundreds of comics they wrote in first and second grade featuring Dog Man. They edit them, making the pictures better and correcting the spelling mistakes (though not all grammar ones) and present to us here three adventures of Dog Man a superhero cop. It's a lot of fun and just what ...more
Joshua
Apr 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Dogman is the hero this world needs, not the one it deserves. A hero willing to pee on the chief's sofa over, and over, and over again, no matter how many times he's been told not to. Because he knows, he trusts, and he understands that that couch needs to be peed on. For the city, for the country, for the people living in [INSERT CITY NAME HERE BECAUSE I WASN'T PAYING ATTENTION] City. Dog Man is the hero of our times.

And he'll always be here when we need him most.
Ann Latini
Sep 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
SOOO funny...my 8 year old couldn't stop laughing. Perfect for any reluctant or struggling readers. Beware...potty humor ahead.
Melissa Chung
Jan 12, 2020 rated it liked it
I thought I wrote a review for this book...guess not, here goes. I'm currently reading the Captain Underpants books to my children. They are re-reads for them, but the first time I've gone through them. I'm enjoying the Underpants series and so I decided I'd read the Dog Man books as well, since we have them. I'm not really into this spin-off series as much as the other one. 3 stars for this first book.

Dog man is about a police dog and a police cop. Both are in an accident and they are both
Sarah Swann
Feb 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
I read this for my Materials for Children class. I also read it in about 30 minutes. I thought this was pretty cute. Its a comic written by Harold and George from the Captain Underpants books. The drawings were cute and I liked the flip-o-rama pages. I thought it was creative and can absolutely see why kids would love these books. ...more
Lorianna G
How did I go this long as a childrens librarian not knowing this is a piece of Cronenberg-ian body horror for kids? A dogs head sewn on the body of a man. Sentient hot dogs being eaten alive by regular dogs. Pure madness. It was alright. ...more
Brittany
Jul 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids, graphic-novel
I didn't enjoy this quite as much as Captain Underpants...and that's a sentence I never thought I'd have to write. I can definitely see the kid-appeal in these books and appreciate the subtle adult humor and pro-reading inclusions.
Tom Malinowski
Dec 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious! Officer Knight and Greg the dog have an accident, and Greg's head is put on Knight's body, and Dog Man is born. We see his funny adventures.
Leigh Collazo
My 11-year old son loves graphic novels and reads at least one every single day. Even though he sucks them down in less than an hour, I don't have any problem buying them for him because he will read his favorites over and over and over. The Dog Man series is one of those favorites.

So this book is Book #4 in my 14-day Book Blitz. See, I am already really behind in my 2018 Goodreads Challenge of 100 books. I've taken on this challenge with several students and teachers at my school, and my
Stacy Fetters
May 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Received a copy at BEA Chicago!!!
George and Harold are back, alittle older and re-releasing Dog Man!
Officer Knight and Greg the dog get into trouble for breaking in the Chiefs new green couch. Now its warm and covered in dog hair. The Chief freaks out and kicks them to the curb.
Petey the cat is up to something sneaky to take down those two nosy cops. Something goes amiss and those two are rushed to the hospital. Gregs body is going and Knights head is going. A nurse comes up with an inventive
Meredith
Sep 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Dav Pilkey always delivers. I don't even really know how to review this book and do it justice, so instead, here's a list of hilarious reasons why you should pick it up and/or definitely give it to your nine-year old. (Spoilers ahead.)
(view spoiler)
Christina (Confessions of a Book Addict)
I read this comic/graphic novel aloud to my son who thought it was hilarious. Some things were over his head, but for the most part, he was really into the story and was sad to see it end. I thought it was annoying in the same sense that Captain Underpants is, but I get I am not the target audience. This series will be another hit, especially with reluctant readers.
Jaden
Sep 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
It was actually better then I expected. I've never read any of Dav Pilkey's books untill this one and expected it to be pretty cheezy because the title is "Dog Man" but it was actually pretty good.
R.I.P Chief's couch.
Clare Lund
Aug 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Quick, funny graphic novel series for ages 7 and up.
Ronda  Tutt
May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Cute!

My 7 year old grandson is into reading these fantasy books and his reading seems to get better with these types of books. Even though he lets his vision get carried away with speaking what is really written. LoL, I'd just make him look at the sentence and read the word and not the picture. The half dog and half man is cute, its funny because even though he is more man he has more dog traits. LOL. I love the bad guy (the cat). I love how the cat escapes - LOL Hello see saw and big dude to
Raina
Aug 24, 2017 rated it liked it
After many years helping kids find books by Dav Pilkey, I finally read one.

Dog Man was silly, scrawly, goofy, and fun.

I get why kids like his stuff.

Not particularly revelatory or insightful - just good fun.
Emma
Nov 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-2018
Wolfie read this almost entirely on his own, so I do suppose I should get him his own Goodreads now. He's requested the next one and especially loved the bit at the end that showed him how to draw "petty" which is what he mistakenly called Petey. 😂😂😂
Natalie Park
Feb 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
As I wanted to know more about popular kids books, my friend recommended this one (thanks, Frances!). It was fun and I can see why its a hit. ...more
Daniel Boitano's Review 3 1 1 Feb 21, 2020 11:26PM
Rita Billeh review 3 2 3 Jan 02, 2020 03:11PM

• Guide to Creating Comics in 3-D (Dog Man)
  • Diary of a Wimpy Kid (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, #1)
  • Rodrick Rules (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, #2)
  • Diary of an Awesome Friendly Kid: Rowley Jefferson's Journal
  • Big Nate: In a Class by Himself (Big Nate Novels, #1)
  • The Last Straw (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, #3)
  • Diary of a Wimpy Kid
  • Ghosts
  • Smile
  • Dog Days (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, #4)
  • The Bad Guys: Episode 1
  • Karen's Witch (Baby-Sitters Little Sister Graphic Novel #1)
  • The Ugly Truth (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, #5)
  • Drama
  • Tales from a Not-So-Fabulous Life (Dork Diaries, #1)
  • Old School (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, #10)
  • Wrecking Ball (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, #14)
  • Pete the Cat: I Love My White Shoes
David "Dav" Pilkey (b. March 4, 1966), is a popular children's author and artist. Pilkey is best known as the author and illustrator of the Captain Underpants book series. He lives near Seattle, Washington with his wife, Sayuri.

Dog Man (9 books)
  • Dog Man Unleashed (Dog Man, #2)
  • Dog Man: A Tale of Two Kitties (Dog Man, #3)
  • Dog Man and Cat Kid (Dog Man, #4)
  • Dog Man: Lord of the Fleas (Dog Man, #5)
  • Dog Man: Brawl of the Wild (Dog Man, #6)
  • Dog Man: For Whom the Ball Rolls (Dog Man, #7)
  • Dog Man: Fetch-22 (Dog Man, #8)
  • Grime and Punishment (Dog Man, #9)

Articles featuring this book

If you're still looking for books to inspire your young reader, middle grade graphic novels just might do the trick. Perfect for c...