Start by marking “I Hid My Voice” as Want to Read:
I Hid My Voice

I Hid My Voice

This is the story, based on fact, of a boy who couldn’t speak until the age of seven. Now twenty, he describes the events of his life.

Four-year-old Shahaab has not started talking. The family doctor believes there is no cause for concern; nevertheless, Shahaab is ridiculed by others who call him "dumb." Young Shahaab doesn’t understand what the word means and thinks it is
Published August 6th 2016 by Anansi International (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about I Hid My Voice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Hid My Voice

Start your review of I Hid My Voice
Ahmad Sharabiani
Pedar-e Aan Digari = Father of the Other One = I Hid My Voice, Parinoush Saniee

Four-year-old Shahaab has not started talking. The family doctor believes there is no cause for concern; nevertheless, Shahaab is ridiculed by others who call him 'dumb'.

In his innocent and deeply hurt child's mind, he begins to believe that 'good' and 'intelligent' children like his older brother are their fathers' sons.

On the other hand, children like him who are 'clumsy' and 'problematic' are their mothers' sons.
Andrei Bădică
Jan 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Superb!
Asma
Sep 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
One of the most depressing books I've ever read - very intriguing though !

I believe what made this book really interesting is that it's from the perspective of a four year old . Shahaab was just very pitiful and i wanted to hug him throughout the book . Despite constantly being called retarded and not being able to express himself , his stubborn attitude was really impressive .

At first , I hated them all except for the mother but then she turned out even worse . I just don't understand how an
Vishy
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the fourth book I read for Women in Translation Month. I discovered Parinoush Saniee's 'I Hid My Voice' when I was browsing in the bookshop. The story told in the book goes like this.

The story starts with twenty-year old Shahaab celebrating a party in his home. He finds the noise and the attention too much and yearns for some solitude and goes to the terrace. While enjoying some quiet time there, he looks back on his past. When Shahaab was a four-year old boy, he couldn't speak. His par
Simona
Sep 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful and emotional story although the writing could have been better.
Valentin
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
what a great book. a jewel!

once i started reading it I was connected with the main character.
it was great to get insights on how a 4 year old things and how reacts the adults actions.

i highly recommend it
Julex Aguila
May 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"Because of us. Because Mother has a son like us.

Praise to the author, Ms. Parinoush Saniee!

It is an amazing book. The story is very well constructed and established. Personally, I can say that my emotions are being drawn into the story. It is one of the books that I will greatly give to someone. The story has its unique complexity. It is simple and easy to read yet the characters and their lives give that interesting "what's next?" kind of vibe. I am really honored that I have the chance to re
Nina
Jul 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Heartwrenching story...well-written, although ending makes it four instead of five stars for me.
Louis Skye
May 26, 2017 rated it did not like it
Ghada Said
Mar 09, 2019 rated it did not like it
This book was terrible on each and every single level, I cannot believe that it was written by the same author as that of The Book of Fate. My only guess is that its true depth was lost in translation. The sentences were short and mostly awkward, the characters were not well-composed, and the dialogues and plot were hurtful to read. I’d recommend it to absolutely no one.
Cruceanu Iunona
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A book that any person should read, but moreover parents. It’s a down on earth story about families, societies and the role of these 2 in the formation of a child into an adult. An easy reading with an extraordinary power.
Binta
Aug 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing, I cried and laughed so much. This is a masterpiece of litterature.
Ovidiu Paun
Not too impressed about the book. Not a bad one but not a masterpiece either!
Madalina
Jul 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A book which emphasizes, once again, the importance of love and attention in the relationship kid-parent, especially at kid fragile age.
Ion Irinel
Jun 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating, a glimpse of real life.
Miruna Moroșan
Feb 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful, sad and true.
Shahab was considered a dumb boy that can't speak. He broke the rules. When he finally spoke for the first time, no one could believe it. The sad thing is that he made ends meet not because of his mother or father but because of his grandma. So his mother nor his father, weren't the important person. He needed unconditionally love that came from a relative, not close one. He needed support and happiness.
In all this time, he never accepted that one man that was his real
Andreea Popa
Jul 17, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A nice easy to read book, great for a rainy weekend in my case, as it's very short and to the point, without hidden message or deep introspections, with a pretty little happy end. More of an essay for modern parenting than an actual novel I felt the narrative style to be too direct, honest and straightforward. It could have been great if the author had put more work in building the characters or if it had the Father story as well. It felt like it was inspired by Doris Lessing's 'The Fifth Child' ...more
Pauline Clark
Jul 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I liked The Book of Fate by Saniee and was excited to hear another of her novels was translated to English. There's something about this Iranian woman's storytelling that speaks to me. It's been a long time since I had a book that I wanted to read through making dinner and at every chance I had until I finished it the same evening. I feel great empathy for the main character and like him, was drawn to his maternal grandmother. I'm looking forward to Saniee's next "English" book.
Sori
Dec 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’m happy I came across this book at the store! It’s meaningful and beautifully written. It really touched me, and I cried over some scenes. I like the books that make me understand the other. (view spoiler). This is my first read to this author. I’m surely reading her other books. For non-English native, this is an easy book to read!. ...more
Cristina Mazilu
Feb 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was quite an interesting and compelling read. The storyline was catchy, and the characters were well rounded. I guess i hated every single character, one at a time. It’s impossible to not get attached to the people in this book.
Also, this book is most definitely a must-read for any parent. It has lots to teach parents in regards to education and children’s behavior. All in all, pretty great!
Laura Chirita
Jul 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The perfect story to open our minds about the importance of raising a child properly and those first years of life, that can scar a person for life. Luckily this one has a happy-ish ending. It's my second book that I read from Parinoush Saniee, and I love her style. Touches every string in your body!
Monica Hoxha
Jan 31, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed it, it was a parenting lesson for me and it reminded me what I have to do, or better said, not to do with my son.
Nada Radwan
Oct 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Every Father should read that book.
Don't underestimate kids' abilities and don't fool them!
Miranda Selmani
Sep 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Finished this in one day. I laughed, cried and smiled when i read this❤️
Angelea
Nov 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Alex
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book deserves to be read and I just love it! The story itself is very beautiful and touching.👏
Nada
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: recommended
It's a great, fascinating story, worth reading..
I hated the way how Shahaab's family treated him, and how they kept underestimating him.
And part of me was happy that Shahaab kept calling Nasser (Arash's father) because Nasser deserve it due to his bad attitude towards him.

I learned from this story two important lessons:
1. It only needs one person to truly believe in someone, to change his/her life forever. As what Bibi did with Shahaab; she believed and accepted him the way he was from the be
Maaya
Mar 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
vk
Apr 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: en

“He talks to me with his eyes.”
I was amazed by the power of emotions. This little boy had so much to say… and finally had found the best way to express himself: “He writes the souls of words.”

Shahaab’s story shows the importance of true and real being, the sincere inner self.
“...you can write down whatever you want to say. You can talk when you want to, and write down what you want to say when you don't feel like talking.”

Her maternal grandmother was an angel. If only I might have one…
“She’s
Andra
Aug 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is, without a doubt, the most beautiful book I have ever read. I was so emotional for chapters at a time, tears pooring out of my eyes either of joy or sorrow. Shahab's story as he lived it, as he felt it at such a young age, his innocence overwhelmed me. Parinoush has such an ability for story telling that you are sucked into the book entirely. The last 100 pages I read alound to my 14 years old daughter and we both cried and laughed along with Shahab. I will re-read this book many times, ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Where Women Are Kings
  • Зулейха открывает глаза
  • O să te țin în brațe cât vrei tu și încă o secundă
  • Semn că te am
  • Happy People Read and Drink Coffee
  • Burned Alive
  • Tema pentru acasă
  • Minciuni pe canapea
  • Invitaţia la vals
  • Vara în care mama a avut ochii verzi
  • Ziua în care la celălalt capăt al iubirii n-a mai fost nimeni
  • Don't Worry, Life Is Easy
  • Oscar et la dame rose
  • Privind înăuntru
  • Miercuri, respiram
  • The Girl Who Escaped ISIS: This Is My Story
  • Să nu râzi :((
PARINOUSH SANIEE (پرینوش صنیعی‎) is a sociologist and psychologist. She worked as Manager of the research department in Supreme Coordination Council for Technical and Vocational Education Ministry in Iran. She has written several novels, of which SAHME MAN is the first; PEDAR-E AAN DIGARI is the second-also published to great acclaim in Iran; others are awaiting approval by the censorship board.

(f