Start by marking “The Moon Inside” as Want to Read:
The Moon Inside

The Moon Inside

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  128 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
Yellow is Ella’s favorite color — she loves the bright, sunny daytime. But every night, as darkness falls, she becomes afraid. When her mother encourages her to look at the soft glow of the moon and fireflies dancing in the night, and to listen to the chirping of crickets and the gentle rustling of the wind, Ella gradually realizes that nighttime can be something to look f ...more
Published September 1st 2016 by Groundwood Books

To ask other readers questions about The Moon Inside, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Moon Inside

The Book Girl (Andrea)
This is one of the most beautiful children's books I have read to date. The subject matter is something all of us can relate to at one time. Being afraid of the dark. How many times do children wake up afraid or won't go to sleep without a night light? This book will help change that.

Ella is a spunky little girl who loves the sunshine and anything bright and colorful. Her favorite color is yellow, and she is great at drawing beautiful pictures. Unfortunately, Ella has a problem. Come every nigh
Barbara
Mixed media, gouache, and ink illustrations with some digital editing highlight a story about overcoming fears. Each night, Ella grows nervous about the approaching dark. But after her mother encourages her to see and eventually embrace some of night's beauties, including fireflies, crickets, and the moon, she comes to see that the dark has plenty of things to recommend it, including her favorite color. After her changed view, she leaves fewer lights on as darkness falls. This book might well ad ...more
Linda
Young Ella loves the color yellow, and the sun! What she doesn't like is night and the dark. Early evening finds her walking through the house turning on lights. Her thoughtful mother leads her gently into a beautiful summer night, to greet that moon and see the glowing fireflies, enjoy the crickets singing. Soon Ella realizes that while it's not a sunny day, there can be good things when the moon is inside! My favorite line: "It's my favorite color, only quieter." For those who might be fearful ...more
Heidi Goehmann
Jan 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
A great book for little and not-so-little ones with creative illustrations and coloring to drive home the concepts and address common fears children have about the dark.
Sandy
Adored this one from start to finish. Such a sweet and clever way of explaining to kids to not be afraid of the dark. I loved especially how the story uses color—and demonstrates that you can't appreciate the light without the darkness and vice versa. Beautiful illustrations, well-written, and just well-done! I wouldn't hesitate recommending this one :)
Beckie
When a little girl is afraid of the dark, her mother shows her the light of the night. As much as this family loves the Moon, this book is perfect. The illustrations were gorgeous and enjoyed by both kids.
Jen
Oct 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This beautiful picture book is about a girl who confronts her fears and therefore gains a new friend, the moon. The mixed media illustrations make the moon come alive- and the reader is drawn to the yellow which is as comforting for us as it is for Ella.
Rainey
Feb 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Such a beautiful book.
Dana
May 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: storytime-books
Beautiful illustrations show how Ella learns to love night time as well as day time.
Helaina Storie
May 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
About a girl who is afraid of dark. Would be a great story to help children think about the night in a different way.
Lindsey
Nov 14, 2016 rated it liked it
We fear the dark at my house, so this book and its beautiful illustrations was a perfect read.
Jesse
Feb 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
A sweet introduction to the beauty of nighttime (as opposed to fear of the dark).
Tracie
Jan 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A young girl is afraid of the night and makes her mom go into each room turning on the lights as the sun sets. One night her mother shows her the quiet magic of the night and she becomes less afraid.
Michelle (FabBookReviews)

Every night, when the dark entered the house, traveling slowly down the walls and over the floors, Ella grew afraid.

I remember being utterly terrified of the dark as a child- scared by the nighttime, by the lack of sunshine, by vivid nightmares and of being preoccupied with the absence of light. While I cannot recall a specific book that helped calm my fears as a child, I do remember that just having my parents gently singing and reading to me acted as a kind of salve. Since my foray into stu
Sharon
Sep 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
When the sun subsides and the moon rises, the comfort of the night begins.

A. Sicuro's illustrations made this little story especially delightful.
Lynn
The story idea can reassure young children of a number of possible fears by figuring out how to look at the other side of situations. Children who are afraid of the dark outdoors are missing a lot of wonderful colors, sounds, and smells - this might encourage them to go out and explore, or sit and enjoy as this mother and child did.
The predominance of yellow throughout the house is in contrast to the bold black lines and shapes, which reflect the sun and dark of the story!
A few sentences are a b
LtLEGOReads
This book tells the tale of Ella, a girl who loves the colour yellow, sunshine and all things bright! She doesn't like the dark and every night, she becomes afraid as night time falls - something that we may have identified with as a child.

Ella's mom showed her to look at darkness / night time in a different light by asking Ella to look out for the cricket's sounds etc.

Brilliant concept. A must-have for any home library for children.
Kristina Jean Lareau
Ella's favorite color is yellow--the color of the sun and light. She does not like the night because it is dark and the sun goes away...until her mother shows her the moon and its quiet yellow standing out in the dark.

Beautifully rendered in mixed media, ink and gouache, this picture book is a good read aloud with short and succinct sentences, as well as a visual treat.
Great Books
Oct 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ages-5-8
Beautifully crafted story reflecting on the brilliance of day and the sometimes worrisome darkness of night. Soft and lovely pictures place mom and daughter together in both settings and through loving support the realization comes that the night can be just as welcoming in its quiet, moonlit beauty as a bright day. Night fears be gone !!!
Reviewer #15
Marfita
Dec 29, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s
Naive illustrations show Yellow Ella's fear of the dark. Ha ha. See, her name sort of rhymes with her favorite color and is also symbolic of fear. Her mother shows her the peaceful softness of nighttime and the "yellow" moon to allay her fears.
Can't you sleep, Little Bear? does it better.
Miss Sarah
Dec 13, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: afraid, emotions, moon, yellow
Ella doesn't like the dark. She likes the yellow of daytime but isn't there some yellow in nighttime too. Cute one on one or preschool, maybe the right toddler group. I really liked the lesson on being afraid and pushing past it.
Ranea
Nov 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This would be an excellent book for a child overcoming a fear of the dark.
Emily
Oct 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful mixed media picture book where a young girl expresses her love for the sun and not the darkness. the colors truly represent her feelings and emotions.
Monica
Nov 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
A little girl who is scared of the dark finds something to love in the night sky. I love the yellow hue of the illustrations and the message.
Shelly
Dec 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Beautifully drawn and a sweet little story.
Gina
Sep 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Enchanting illustrations enhance this gentle tale about a little girl who begins to appreciate the quiet, lovely night.
Ann Cooksey