Start by marking “Fully Engaged: Using the Practicing Mind in Daily Life” as Want to Read:
Fully Engaged: Using the Practicing Mind in Daily Life

Fully Engaged: Using the Practicing Mind in Daily Life

NA
Published October 25th 2016 by New World Library

To ask other readers questions about Fully Engaged, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fully Engaged

Start your review of Fully Engaged: Using the Practicing Mind in Daily Life
Susan K Perry
Nov 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
A brief (100 pages) book that details, in the most reassuring and practical words, how to become fully engaged in your own life so that you no longer feel as though you're constantly struggling to achieve your goals. Other ways of describing this positive state of mind would be mindfulness or being in a flow state (during which you're fully engaged with whatever you're doing and the journey IS the goal (sort of). I'm not going to try to paraphrase what Sterner spends 100 pages telling us with an ...more
Rohit
Jan 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A great follow-up to Sterner's first book on practicing mind. Deceptively simplistic, one needs to return to this book again and again. My meditation practices have become deeper after reading this book. I am going to buy a personal copy after having read a borrowed copy from the library.
Susan Quinn
Jun 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent follow up to The Practicing Mind

Highly recommend this book to everyone looking to gain more peace in their lives while unfolding their true potential as humans.
Heike
Aug 01, 2017 rated it it was ok
I was disappointed. The author seems to be mostly tooting his own horn. It has one reasonable suggestion; meditate to quiet your mind, but the rest is mostly biographical. There may be some tidbits you can extrapolate to apply to your unique situation, but this is not by any stretch of the imagination a how to book,
Cameron Lord
Oct 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Helpful follow-up to The Practicing Mind. Would recommend reading TPM first. Each chapter of Fully Engaged has a nugget of wisdom. It's short enough that you can read it twice or revisit it down the road.
Goutham Jayaprakash
"Feeling the need to complete things is a survival mechanism that goes who knows how far in our evolution".

Thomas M. Sterner provides techniques such as "Thought Awareness Training" to help us to transform our lives by just thinking about what we are doing at the moment and having our complete focus.
The book is a very short read, just about 100 pages, focus mainly on the following,
1.How to be fully engaged in something we are doing.
2.How to set your goals using accurate data.
3.How to have prede
Davuth
Oct 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely love the idea of this book! It's one of those books that I want everyone to read. You know? When the idea is so fundamentally brilliant, I just wish everyone would read it. The idea itself is not entirely new to me. Even though I'm familiar with the core concept of it, I still find many interesting things I can learn. The book itself is written in a way I find very relaxing to read. It's like listening to someone who's peacefully talking about his story.

The only complain I have is
Devi Bri
Jan 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love how concise it is. It has kind of the same tone as most self help books (a condescending kind of funny-feel-good irony) which I don't particularly like, but it's so short it's completely bearable. Will definitely be going back to check my highlights, good read!
JDK1962
Dec 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Not as meaty as The Practicing Mind, and probably would have served better as additional content for a new edition of that book, rather than as a standalone volume. Still, it's good food for thought, and who doesn't need that?
Sathish
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Must read

A great follow up book to the practicing mind. One of the best book on mindfulness you could read! Go for it! It will be well worth with it!
Hua Ma
Jun 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Meditation and exercise!
Lynn Hamm
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great companion to the Practicing Mind

Glad I bought it! Gives more clarity to the practicing mind. A lot of emphasis on the big benefits of meditation.
Daniella Araujo
Mar 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is a nice follow-up to "The Practicing Mind", best-selling title by Tom Sterner. It sets out to provide a number of "real world" applications to the philosophy presented in the first book. It is a pleasant read and very insightful, as it was its predecessor, however I wish the book could be more extensive and with more applicable content and examples based on people's daily life's struggles.
Chip Judd
Practical look at mindfulness in life.

I'm in the process of reading several books about mindfulness and I found this one to have some great phrases and explanations. One worth the whole book: "Thought Awareness Training". The explanation was very helpful.
Tristy at New World Library
Apr 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Endorsements:
“Thomas M. Sterner teaches his brilliant concepts in a style that is easy to understand and implement. It doesn’t matter what you want to get better at doing or being; Tom has the teachings that, when applied, will get you there.”
— Brooke Castillo, Master Certified Coach and president of The Life Coach School

“Given Thomas Sterner’s ability to tap into and awaken our consciousness, Fully Engaged promises to be the work of a modern-day philosopher that people actually care to read!”
Jacob
Feb 29, 2020
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• How to Read a Book: The Classic Guide to Intelligent Reading
  • The Desire Map
  • The Art of Living: The Classical Manual on Virtue, Happiness and Effectiveness
  • Toxic Parents: Overcoming Their Hurtful Legacy and Reclaiming Your Life
  • Finnish Nightmares
  • Class: A Guide Through the American Status System
  • The Earth: A Very Short Introduction
  • Leonardo: The First Scientist
  • Earth: An Intimate History
  • A Heart So Fierce and Broken (Cursebreakers, #2)
  • The Science of Self-Learning: How to Teach Yourself Anything, Learn More in Less Time, and Direct Your Own Education
  • Stillness Is the Key
  • 殺死瑪麗蘇
  • Earth System Science: A Very Short Introduction

Related Articles

“Change equals growth.” 0 likes
“We are working at the threshold of our abilities, pushing forward into new space. But as we push forward, our threshold also moves forward with us. If we keep this in mind and let go of our expectations, we can fully enjoy this process of expansion. We can stop interpreting the experience of change, of learning, as unpleasant. The trick is to be totally present, to be fully engaged in the process of the change. If we are judging the experience as this or that, we are not fully present because a portion of our consciousness is taken up in the judgment process. When I’m feeling a very strong polarity about a particular change in my life, it’s a tip-off that I am not in the present moment, not fully engaged in my experience.” 0 likes