Start by marking “Stone of Farewell (Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn, #2)” as Want to Read:
Stone of Farewell (Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn, #2)

Stone of Farewell

(Memory, Sorrow and Thorn #2)

4.1  ·  Rating details ·  37,826 Ratings  ·  517 Reviews
The second book in the trilogy that launched one of the most important fantasy writers of our time.

It is a time of darkness, dread, and ultimate testing for the realm of Osten Ard, for the wild magic and terrifying minions of the undead Sithi ruler, Ineluki the Storm King, are spreading their seemingly undefeatable evil across the kingdom.

With the very land blighted by the
Published April 1st 2005 by Daw Books (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Stone of Farewell, please sign up.

Dirk Grobbelaar
My review of The Dragonbone Chair did not do the novel justice. It was written in haste, a few quickly typed lines before I launched into The Stone of Farewell. See, The Dragonbone Chair ended on such a note that I just did.not.have.the.time to think about a decent review. I simply had to know what happened next.

The first novel went to great pains to establish the world, so there wasn’t such a lot of exposition required for The Stone of Farewell. This freed the author up to do what he apparently
Claudia
Aug 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
A bit too long even for my taste, although, if you ask me, I don’t know what could have been cut from it. We follow our heroes’ quest throughout Osten Ard, but now we have more threads. The remaining ‘good guys’ are scattered throughout the land, each trying to reach the Stone of Farewell, the last safe bastion from the Storm King.

There is a single wow moment, for me at least, and it was at 96%. However, there isn’t a single dull moment in the whole book. It’s just that their journeys are taking
Aristea
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a great second book in a series.
Plenty of characters, great characters, challenges which showed more of the main characters reactions and humanity.
Amazing plot, properly written and developed. Just the right amount of cliffhangers.
Also, great female characters, stronger than average and annoyed by being contained in a stereotype.
I felt completely immersed in the story and invested in the characters.
Wanda
As I look back on the reading experience for Stone of Farewell, I wonder exactly why I enjoyed it so much? I mean, not an awful lot happens. Simon returns to being a pouty, immature boy more often than not. There’s an awful lot of walking, while keeping a look-out for the bad guys. In fact, you could probably sum up the whole book in one sentence: Most of the good guys get to the Stone of Farewell.

I guess what made it worthwhile for me was learning quite a bit more about the Sithi (Williams’ ver
Amar
Mar 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2018
Tamam kad mu htjedoh dati trojku, Tad se izvuče na samom kraju. A što sam samo trojku htio dati? Jer za mene ova knjiga pati od sindroma druge knjige, gdje se glavna priča samo minimalno pomakela naprijed. Imamo mnogo arcova ovdje, od kojih mi je samo Simonov bio baš zanimljiv, dok su ostali bili za moj ukus previše razvučeni.
Oko priče se slabo može sta novo napisati, jer se baš malo oko glavne priče desilo, ali Williamsova naracija je i dalje perfektna. Krajolici Osten Arda su tako divno opisa
Ahdam Rana
Ok first review of 2018 and what do you know its 5 stars out of 5

Anyway this book is a huge improvement on the previous book which was already fantastic, I think what stood out for me in this book was the pace and tension kept building as it wasn't like in the great hunt where it starts all over again for each book. I felt the story moved much more here than in Dragonbone chair and I was invested into what the characters were up to as they got on with there tasks set for them in Osten Ard.

That
Kaitlin
This is book #2 in the Memory, Sorrow and Thorn series and it's a pretty classic fantasy series. I find that classic fantasy often tends to fall into some of the tropes I don't love very much (sloooooow pacing and not so developed characters were the two major complaints with this book) but when I am in the mood to read a classic fantasy series I do enjoy a good one and I think this one is that :)

Simon is the main character for a lot of the first book but I feel like in book two we start to bran
Chris Gousopoulos
Oct 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
  The apocalypse that has befallen the world of Osten Ard is fully unveiled. It might be a slow unravelling but it is a very satisfying one. The worldbuilding is tremendous. Our view of the world expands and its full of magnificent places, people and their stories. Especially the various subraces of the elvenkind are awesome. Apart from the Middle Earth this is the only place that I can say that I love the Elves. They share the grandeur and the drama of their Tolkien counterparts but they are at ...more
Kitvaria Sarene
It has been about 7 years since I read the first book - and it took me quite a while to get back into the story. Once I remembered the multitude of characters, I was quickly sucked in again.
On the one hand I really enjoyed the story - on the other hand it was veeeery long in places. A lot of description, that didn't feel entirely necessary in some scenes - while at other places it felt perfectly balanced, even though it had some minute details.

What bugged me (as everyone knowing me will expect)
Dawn
++SPOILERS++

Whereas the first book was a nice comfort read, this one gave me anxiety through much of it.

Lots of stuff going on, a bit more conflict but few resolutions, which I expect will come in the last book.

There is alot of back and fourth with different characters POV's as they all strive to their own purposes.

I have grown to dislike Mirabele, who in the first book seemed strong but has now turned to a stupid shallow child. I hate that she gave herself to the earl..little whore.. I also hat
Sara J. (kefuwa)
#ReturnToOstenArd: Re-read this as part of a bookstagram group-read with Tange, Jacob & Nadine in anticipation of the Witchwood Crown coming out in June 2017!

23/5/17: Annnnd I'm done! Not going to stop to write anything atm as it will be mostly fangirling as per the review for Dragonbone Chair. Used mostly my ebook version to get through this one as well - I will stick a review on the ebook version later on too (urgh - so many mistakes Hachette UK!) - I also need to add a new edition for the
Aurora
Sep 09, 2012 rated it it was ok
I hate this book. Here, let me sum it up for you so you don't waste all the time I did hoping this monstrosity would get better.

Some people walk through a forest. A fight happens. Someone falls down and has a prophetic dream that they never tell anyone about. More walking through the forest.

Repeat ad nauseum.
Yes, that was the entire book. People 'falling senseless' or whatever the heck every ten pages, a lot of whining, and the occasional anticlimactic pointless battle followed by more passing
Marina
Aug 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is amazing. Full of magic and intrigue, characters were awesome. Plot was engaging, but it is still bit too long. Picking this book would be great way to loose couple of hours or, in my case, weeks. I'm slow reader, but it was worth reading this book.
Kat  Hooper
Mar 31, 2009 rated it really liked it
Re-read on audio. Will review at www.fantasyliterature.com.
Aldi
Celine
Stone of Farewell, the sequel to The Dragonbone Chair and the second book in the Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn epic fantasy series continues the journey of our cast of main characters - quite literally.

Simon and his friends might have found the sword Thorn, but a single sword is not enough to bring down King Elias. Meanwhile, Prince Josua flees from the Norn that have destroyed his army and his city. Miriamele and the mysterious Father Cadrach try to reach her uncle to appeal to him and get his to s
Jacob
Oct 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, favorites
When I first read this book twenty years ago I was frustrated with the side characters/stories because I had no patience and thought this story should be about Seoman alone. Now I can laugh at how foolish and shallow I was and marvel at how beautiful the story truly is. Tiamak's inner struggles alone would be worth a story about. This is an excellently crafted tale that adds depth and life to this trilogy.
Jessica
Jul 20, 2007 rated it it was amazing
On my third (possibly fourth) reading of this book, I realized something: it was just as good as the first time I read it.

The splendid cast of characters, all real individuals, are just as engrossing. The layers of plot (and plotting) are just as tight and as fascinating.

Thus I maintain my stance that this is one of the best fantasy series of all time.
Elwen
Auch beim 2. Mal wieder toll <3
Einerseits möchte ich die Reihe gleich weiterlesen, andererseits hab ich auch Lust auf was neues und noch soviel Ungelesenes... Luxusprobleme eines Bücherwurms^^
Scott
Jun 23, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, re-read
This one is a tough one for me.
It's a re-read and I haven't read this book since it was first released 30 so years ago.
My memory has always told me that it's my favorite fantasy series of all time and I loved the last book...this one was not as good.
The writing is beautiful, almost poetic.
The characters are amazing, probably a hundred or so, all fully formed. Interesting, conflicted, complex.
The plot is just what I like - epic, huge, sprawling, majestic.
But
This book was slow and let's be serious
Kiwi Begs2Differ  ✎
Beautiful prose, interesting and complex world, an extensive cast of well defined characters (even females!), however the pace was slower that I would have liked, I wasn’t exactly bored but I felt I was meandering along the story.
3.5 stars rounded down
Jenn
Feb 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This amazing fantasy series continues in the second volume with more excellent plotting, characterizations, and world-building. It reminds me of the Two Towers, which is also a "middle" novel, where events continue to progress from the first novel (and there's a lot of traveling and characters moving around). I'm impressed with Williams' ability to create so many characters who are given interesting roles and backgrounds, and to weave their stories so effortlessly, but sometimes feel resentful w ...more
GrilledCheeseSamurai
Dec 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, epic, favorites
It's true, what they say, there is a lot of walking in this book. In fact, one could say that the entire book is, for the most part, one big journey. Don't be fooled, however, this is no mundane trek through a predictable fantasy world full of whimsy. It is a journey fraught with peril - filled with Giants and creatures that crawl beneath the ground - and not all the dangers are as mysterious as the creatures of legend, for the evils of man are just as treacherous as the teeth of the most fearso ...more
Aleah
Dec 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, epic-fantasy
Readers of fantasy know that, quite often, the second book in a trilogy suffers from the dreaded "black sheep" syndrome. Book two is the slightly overlooked middle child. Less respected than the first and less spoiled than the last -- but necessary nonetheless. Characters often go on long journeys in the second book and think about things ad nauseam, all in preparation for whatever climax awaits in book three.

Luckily for us, Tad Williams is a master of the genre and handles this unfortunate yet
David
Feb 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
Stone of Farewell picked right up from the abrupt ending of Dragonbone Chair. I was extremely pleased that all of the characters managed to find themselves in a variety of interesting situations, always keeping me turning those pages. I found this book to be considerably more entertaining than the first. It wrapped up with a satisfying conclusion. I'm jumping right in To Green Angel Tower (Part 1).
Vivone Os
KUMSKI BOOK CLUB READING CHALLENGE 2017 - 6
(naknadno dodana, fantasy book, book over 400 pages)
Moram reći da je puno puno bolja od prvog dijela. Prvi me apsolutno smorio, a drugi dio je od početka napet, zanimljiv, pun akcije. Likovi su odlični, pratimo ih nekoliko, raznolike, zanimljive, a ne kao u prvom dijelu pola knjige samo Simona.
Toliko mi je dobro sve napravljeno da sad jedva čekam vidjeti što će s kim od njih biti i kako će se izvući iz svojih nevolja.
Nikki
May 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
There are many things about this series which are just rather typical. You can predict a lot of the narrative beats and tropes, because it’s drawing from the same well of story as a lot of other epic fantasy. However, if you made it through the first book (a feat in itself just because of how long it is), you’re probably aware of that and on board for the characters. And I’m pleased to note that they don’t disappoint: Simon gets less annoying, Rachel the Dragon continues to play her part, Binabi ...more
Kathy
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Still want to punch most of the characters, but I think this book was all about personal fragility, and some general buttheadedness...
I love the audible version of this, very well read. Now to book 3....
Mark
Aug 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Enjoyed this book in spite of its faults, which are there but less important than what is good. The first of which is simply that for a book called Stone of Farewell, where like 75% of the characters are heading there, it takes a damn long time to actually get there. I'm not even marking this a spoiler because if you read the first book already, you understand. In Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings movies, Treebeard tells the hobbits he's brought to the Entmoot, "It takes a long time to say anyth ...more
Edward Rathke
Mar 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This a fantastic novel.

I was excited when to begin reading this trilogy, but I didn't really know what to expect. I knew it was an influence on George RR Martin's epic fantasy, so I was expecting something in a similar vein. Something dark and gutting and ruthless with a relentless plot that keeps pushing you forward even as you stumble over your feet and the trail of the dead.

But Williams writes in a much more naturalistic way. It reminds me a lot of Sapkowski, in only good ways. The story spil
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Stone of Farewell [May 15, 2018] 20 19 Jun 03, 2018 08:15PM
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Stone of Farewell 17 31 Jun 22, 2017 12:44AM
Fantasy Book Club: Stone of Farewell****Buddy Read**** 36 40 Mar 30, 2016 09:25AM
Goodreads Librari...: Multiple parts of the translated edition of one book 4 31 Aug 31, 2013 05:57PM
  • The Blood Knight (Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone, #3)
  • Skybowl (Dragon Star, #3)
  • A Man Rides Through (Mordant's Need, #2)
  • Crown of Shadows (The Coldfire Trilogy, #3)
  • Watcher of the Dead (Sword of Shadows, #4)
  • Into the Labyrinth (The Death Gate Cycle, #6)
  • Prince of Dogs (Crown of Stars, #2)
  • The Dragon Revenant (Deverry, #4)
  • King of the Murgos (The Malloreon, #2)
  • The One Kingdom (The Swans' War, #1)
  • Warhost of Vastmark (Wars of Light & Shadow, #3; Arc 2 - The Ships of Merior, #2)
Tad Williams is a California-based fantasy superstar. His genre-creating (and genre-busting) books have sold tens of millions worldwide, in twenty-five languages. His considerable output of epic fantasy and science fiction book-series, stories of all kinds, urban fantasy novels, comics, scripts, etc., have strongly influenced a generation of writers: the ‘Otherland’ epic relaunches June 2018 as an ...more

Memory, Sorrow and Thorn (3 books)
  • The Dragonbone Chair (Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn, #1)
  • To Green Angel Tower (Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn, #3)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fortune's Rising (Outer Bounds #1)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • End of Days (Penryn & the End of Days, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Beginning of the End (Apocalypse Z, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Going Wild (Going Wild #1)
  • Renegade: The Lost Books, Book 3
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries, #1)
  • Making History
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Godsgrave (The Nevernight Chronicle, #2)
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
    $12.99 $3.99
  • Enchantress (Evermen Saga, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
  • Let the Right One In: A Novel
  • Come Out Tonight
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Iron Trial (Magisterium #1)
  • Fawkes
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sticks & Stones (Upside-Down Magic #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hidden Relic (Evermen Saga, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Soul of the Fire (Sword of Truth #5)
  • The Witch's Vacuum Cleaner and Other Stories
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Last Namsara (Iskari #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Girl from Everywhere (The Girl From Everywhere, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Temple of the Winds (Sword of Truth Book 4)
    $9.99 $2.49
  • The Witch's Daughter (The Witch's Daughter, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Winter King: A Novel of Arthur (Warlord Chronicles)
  • Journey to the Center of the Earth
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Riot (Peter Grant, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Venom in the Veins (Elemental Assassin, #17)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • I, Robot
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Wizard's First Rule (Sword of Truth, #1)
    $8.99 $2.49
  • Running with the Demon (Word & Void #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Infomocracy (The Centenal Cycle, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Atopia Chronicles (Atopia, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Stone of Tears (Sword of Truth Book 2)
    $9.99 $2.49
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Broken Pride (Bravelands, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Quicksilver (The Baroque Cycle, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweep in Peace (Innkeeper Chronicles, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Book of the Unnamed Midwife (The Road to Nowhere, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Witch's Reign (Desert Cursed, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Into the Fire  (The Thin Veil #2)
  • The Sudden Appearance of Hope
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Path of the Storm (Evermen Saga, #3)
  • Rite of Passage
  • Flowertown
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Jilo (Witching Savannah #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Line (Witching Savannah, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Master Magician (The Paper Magician, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Compound (The Compound, #1)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Void (Witching Savannah, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
“Not everyone can stand up and be a hero, Princess. Some prefer to surrender to the inevitable and salve their consciences with the gift of survival.” 9 likes
“Now I end my death song. I give my farewell to mountain and sky. It has been good to be alive.” 4 likes