Start by marking “As Time Goes By (Alvirah and Willy, #10)” as Want to Read:
As Time Goes By (Alvirah and Willy, #10)

As Time Goes By

(Alvirah & Willy #10)

3.73  ·  Rating details ·  10,157 ratings  ·  1,008 reviews
#1 NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER

In this exciting thriller from Mary Higgins Clark, the #1 New York Times bestselling “Queen of Suspense,” a news reporter tries to find her birth mother just as she is assigned to cover the high-profile trial of a woman accused of murdering her wealthy husband.

Television journalist Delaney Wright is on the brink of stardom after she begins cover
Published April 5th 2016 by Simon Schuster

·  10,157 ratings  ·  1,008 reviews

Start your review of As Time Goes By (Alvirah and Willy, #10)
Kavita
May 23, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: mystery, usa
Where is the woman who wrote classics such as Where are the Children? and You Belong to Me? This book lacks any suspense at all and is about as dull as watching paint dry. I wonder if the creation of the absolutely useless Alvirah and Willy have sapped all of MHC's creative juices, leaving her with nothing interesting to write about.

Betsy Grant, widow of Doctor Ted Grant, is on trial for her husband's murder. At stake are fifteen million dollars, which would be shared equally between Betsy and
Phrynne
Aug 28, 2017 rated it liked it
I have only read a few of this author's books so far but I think this may be lighter than her usual fare because it was virtually suspense free and she is described as the "queen of suspense." It was however an interesting mystery with happy endings for all concerned (well except the bad guys of course) and no need for stress at any point. Maybe a little too much time spent in the court room, but that is just personal preference. I know many people love a good court room drama, just not me!
The p
Dana
Apr 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Mary Higgins Clark has been a favorite of mine since I was about 11. While they have become somewhat predictable, they are a quick, light read that is always enjoyable. I don't think this one is as good as some of her earlier books...but then again, I'm sure my age factors in somewhat. :)
Carol
Sep 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Interesting twists and turns that make it so intriguing to listen to. Newscaster Delaney Wright is reporting on the trial of Betsy Grant, a wealthy woman accused of murdering her Alzheimer’s-afflicted husband, Ted. Although there are several others who seem more likely to have done the deed, the courtroom testimony does not seem to bear out Betsy’s claim of innocence and a conviction seems likely.

As the trial plays out in the courtroom and on the nightly news, De
Rebecca McNutt
Sep 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was expecting some sappy love story, so I'm glad this compelling thriller turned out to be anything but. The mystery was pretty simple to figure out but the real depth here is in the powerful friendships the characters share with each other.
Julie
Apr 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Mary Higgins Clark is one of my favorite authors. I treasure her suspense novels and keep a complete set on hand to reread on occasion. The older ones are my favorites, but I enjoy all of them. There is just a certain class and storytelling to her books that is like sliding on a cozy, favored sweater and wrapping cold fingers around a mug of steaming tea. Extra points when the weather is foul or spooky-windy and so was the case with my first reading of this book.

"As Time Goes By" is classic Mary
Melissa A.S.
Oct 14, 2016 rated it it was ok
For the most part, Mary Higgins Clark has a formula: The heroine is always white, wealthy (or about to inherit a million-dollar fortune should the crime is solved), living in New York (or a neighboring city), she and her acquaintances love to drink coffee, and she's beautiful even if so is not explicitly stated. Maybe it’s because I know this formula too well that I could foresee literally within minutes who was who and who did what, thus I did not enjoy this novel as much as her previous ones. ...more
Nurse Lisa In Ohio (PRN Book Reviews)
MHC -- consistent and easy to read...smoothly entertaining :-)
Julie
Apr 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
As Time Goes By- by Mary Higgins Clark is a 2016 Simon & Schuster publication.

Mary Higgins Clark - Wow! What can you say? She is eighty-eight years old and still writing quality stories.

I will admit,though, the Alvirah and Willy series is hit or miss with me, and I don’t actively seek them out. I didn’t realize this book was a part of that series when I checked it out, but I’m glad I did.

Besty’s beloved husband, Ted, has been murdered and she is facing prosecution for the crime. Her chances a
Nat
Apr 22, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: incomplete
As Time Goes By has got to be one of the most obvious books ever written. There was nothing that couldn't be figured out by the middle of the book, and that's being generous. It was so obvious who Delaney's biological mother was. I kept trying to make myself believe it was someone else just so I wouldn't have figured out a major detail within the first few chapters, which were about two pages long in some cases.

The only reason I questioned my suspicion was because I thought Delaney was at least
Laima
I have always enjoyed MHC novels but this one was dull and lacking in some ways. It was definitely NOT a page turner. I kept dozing off .

The storyline was predictable - I had it figured out long before the end. The characters didn’t sound very enthusiastic and all used very flat and dull language. This was especially true in the court scenes. At times I thought “people don’t really speak like this, do they??”

Also, there was repetition which seemed like filler. I didn’t care how Betsy wore her
Suzanne
Mar 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5*

This one was predictable but was still an enjoyable, short read. The characters in this one were really entertaining to read about. The plots had a good flow and kept me interested.

My quick and simple overall: good book to spend the evening with.
Colona Public Library
May 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, april
This was a typical Mary Higgins Clark Novel. It was a pretty quick and easy read. The plot was interesting, but very predictable. Still, I enjoyed reading it.
Vi ~ Inkvotary
Inkvotary

No doubt, a nice to read crime novel with some wonderful scenes. But the author knows it better. A lot better. And the key scene, in which the real bad person was unveiled, was a bit too much of everything. I liked the main figure, though. And Betsy Grant was a wonderful figure, too. So if you are a huge Mary Higgins Clark fan, you might get a bit disappointed. But if you don't expect much and like a nice and solid crime novel, I guess you will like it. I kind of enjoyed it, ye
Angie
May 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, audiobooks

This writing here is not like the MHC Suspense Queen of the '80s, but a nice relaxing mystery. Good, if just a bit repetitive. I liked the characters and the side story of adoption. The recurring characters of Alvirah & Willy appear here, but are not overbearing. Easy & Fast reading.

Recommended for MHC fans and those who enjoy lighter mysteries.
Andrea
Apr 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Another exceptional book by the Queen of Suspense!
Kristīne Līcis
Apr 24, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: never-again
I've never read anything by Mary Higgins Clark, but I need to believe that her earlier works are great. This book, however, is the worst place to start. I realise it is already #10 in the "Alvirah and Willy" series, and that it is always difficult to introduce the characters to new readers without boring those who've read previous instalments, but the following is not the way to do it:
He had given her a sunburst pin with a microphone in it to record her conversations. The editor said that would
Karen B.
I initially gave this a five star rating as soon as I finished the book. liked reading this story. It was short and entertaining. However, It did not contain the kind of suspense and mystery I am used to in a Mary Higgins Clark novel. The two main characters are Delaney, a reporter who is covering a murder trial and also has a desperate need to find her birth mother. Betsy Grant is accused of murdering her husband, Ted Grant. Ted was suffering from early onset Alzheimer's disease. I liked Clark' ...more
Susan Snodgrass
Apr 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Mary Higgins Clark is not called the Queen of Suspense for nothing. Forty one years ago she wrote 'Where Are The Children?' and I read it while a senior in high school. I haven't miss a book of hers since. I own all her mysteries. I just have to get her latest on release day! I can't miss a Mary Higgins Clark book!

The thing I love about her books most, well, two things: she never uses profanity or vulgarity. That's proof you can tell a good story without those two elements. She consistently is a
Kelley
Mary Higgins Clark was the first suspense writer I read, I mean her and I go back to the 7th grade. But her new stuff just doesn't compare. Instead of you trying to figure it out, you know and you are waiting for all the characters to figure it out. There doesn't have to be crazy intense characters or evil twisted deeds to make a suspense novel good, but it needed something else.
Lindsay Bishop
Sep 04, 2016 rated it it was ok
A little too predictable for me
Jan 31, 2019 rated it did not like it
This book was “available now” on Overdrive. That’s the best thing I can say about it.
Mahoghani 23
What way to start a book; a murder trial. The story starts in slow motion but takes off pointing suspicion towards several others. It's basically similar to 2 television shows, Murder She Wrote & Hart to Hart. Simple, yet elusive. Mysterious and calculating. Romance, murder, & mayhem. Enjoy. ...more
Sandra
It was an entertaining audiobook for a long drive. Other than that, too many coincidences in the plot for my taste.
Monnie
Apr 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Is "feel-good murder mystery" a book category? If it is, I nominate this one for inclusion. It's a relatively quick read, with a stress-free and for the most part predictable plot. It's also easy to put down when need be - perfect for on the beach when you need to keep one eye on the munchkins or an unexpectedly long wait in the doctor's office.

Delaney Wright is a TV journalist covering the high-profile murder trial of Betsy Grant, who's accused of killing her wealthy doctor husband (who, coinci
Spencer
Aug 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
The Alvirah and Willy stories were always my favorite stories from Mary Higgins Clark.

While this book was about them, it wasn't one of my favorites. I think the biggest reason is that it's primarily set within the courtroom. Personally, I find courtroom dramas to be a bit boring. Although, there are many scenes outside of the court, I just didn't get enough of them to maintain my interest.

That being said, I do like Delaney. She is a smart career woman, but she maintains her sensitivity and curio
Danny
Sep 16, 2018 rated it did not like it
Oh my.

The dialogue is so stilted that it could be used to protect beach houses from storm surge.

The coincidences are so strained that if they were pasta it would need to be boiled again.

The characters are so rich that if they were chocolate cake people would swoon upon taking a bite.

It's fine. Whatever.
Heather
Sep 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
I've loved many of Mary Higgins Clark's books, and this was an interesting read. I could have done without some of the courtroom questioning that was extremely redundant. Ha. I guess it was pretty true to life though.
Stacy
May 30, 2016 rated it liked it
As always, MHC keeps my interest. It just felt like a recycled version of some of her other books. Some of it was predictable and some of it was contrived.
Jessica
Apr 18, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: library, mystery
Oh dear. This was every damsel-in-distress cliche rolled into one and combined with about 85 ridiculous coincidences. It was painful to read.

• Burned (Regan Reilly Mystery, #8)
  • Deck the Halls
  • Fleeced (Regan Reilly Mysteries, #5)
  • Hitched (Regan Reilly Mystery, #9)
  • Popped (Regan Reilly Mysteries, #7)
  • Jinxed (Regan Reilly Mysteries, #6)
  • Do You Promise Not To Tell? (KEY News #2)
  • Mobbed (Regan Reilly Mysteries, #14)
  • Decked (Regan Reilly Mysteries, #1)
  • Wrecked  (Regan Reilly Mysteries, #13)
  • It Only Takes a Moment (KEY News, #11; Sunrise Suspense Society #2)
  • Brooklyn Legacies
  • Plain Outsider
  • The 19th Christmas (Women's Murder Club, #19)
  • Blindside (Michael Bennett, #12)
  • Nowhere to Run (KEY News #6)
  • Plain Jeopardy
The #1 New York Times bestselling author Mary Higgins Clark has written thirty-eight suspense novels, four collections of short stories, a his­torical novel, a memoir, and two children’s books. With bestselling author Alafair Burke she wrote the Under Suspicion series. With her daughter Carol Higgins Clark, she has coauthored five more suspense novels.

Clark’s books have sold more than 100 milli

Alvirah & Willy (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Weep No More, My Lady