Start by marking “The Twelve Days of Christmas: A Peek-Through Picture Book” as Want to Read:
The Twelve Days of Christmas: A Peek-Through Picture Book

The Twelve Days of Christmas: A Peek-Through Picture Book

(Peek-Through Picture Book)

The twelve days of Christmas have never looked so fun! Turn page after page of this innovative picture book based on the classic carol “The Twelve Days of Christmas,” and watch as twelve days of gifts appear through clever peek-through holes on each page! Young children will especially love anticipating all the presents and seeing them arrive as if by magic. This ...more
Published October 18th 2016 by Doubleday Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Twelve Days of Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Twelve Days of Christmas

Start your review of The Twelve Days of Christmas: A Peek-Through Picture Book
Calista
An early Britta Peek-through book. She takes the standard Christmas song and finds a way to make the story interesting and fun. Each page shows you a peek-through of the animals in the song. It’s interesting to see how she fits them on in on each page. It’s like peeling back a layer of an onion. The artwork is sort of basic, but cute.

The nephew loves things like this still. He had fun reading this. We had to sing the song which brought in the niece. So we had a sing-a-long on the way to bed. The
Hilary
Nov 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommended to Hilary by: Found in the library
This is a nice version of the well known Christmas song. Each page has a cut out shape to reveal more gifts the further you go through the story. Although the cut-outs were fun, there are many books about this Carol and I've seen several I like more.
Abigail
Dec 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Readers Looking for Christmas Books for the Toddler Set
Taking the words of the classic carol as her text, and pairing them with cute illustrations featuring peek-through holes and various glittery elements, Britta Teckentrup creates an entertaining holiday title in The Twelve Days of Christmas. Each two-page spread features a new verse in the twelve-verse song, and the cut-outs continue to grow, revealing all of the items being mentioned, until the final page displays all twelve gifts.

Although certainly not my favorite, when it comes to picture-book
Katie W
Dec 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, holiday
It's true that I'm an adult, but I've always loved picture books with the peek-through pages, as both the story and the illustrations build on each other until the end of the book, when it all comes together in a glorious conclusion. I love the pictures!

The words to this book are from the Christmas carol, The Twelve Days of Christmas. Each turn of the pages leads to more vivid color and more fun as these two little elves work there way through the song. My kids are getting a little older, but
Dena (Batch of Books)
Dec 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
There are lots of picture books about the Twelve Days of Christmas out there, but this is my favorite one. It stays true to the original song, so there's no weird syllables or stumbling over words. The true beauty of this book lies in the illustrations. Each page is die-cut to reveal more and more gifts and the song progresses. At first, you only see the partridge in the pear tree, but when you turn the page, the turtle doves appear. The next page reveals french hens, and so on until the final ...more
☕️Kimberly
Nov 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Twelve Days of Christmas: A Peek-Through Picture Book illustrated by Britta Teckentrup is a beautiful hardcover edition of the classic Twelve Days of Christmas. The book is a peek-through book and each page colorfully display the twelve gifts of Christmas from twelve drummers drumming to five golden rings. (you sang that, didn't you?) While this book is geared towards three to seven-year-olds, my granddaughter who is not quite two enjoyed the story. She loved the song and illustrations not ...more
LORI (Dollycas) CASWELL
We all know the song, but Britta Teckentrup has taken it and through her marvelous illustrations brought it to life for the little people around us. I absolutely love the little boy’s and little girl’s faces as they take us page by page through the tune. With each turn of the page more and more is revealed through the “peek-through” holes until we see all the wonderful people, birds, and animals displayed on the final page. The pictures are colorful, bold and vibrant.

I found myself singing my
Luanne Ollivier
Dec 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
3.5 It's that time of the year! Christmas is around the corner!

Britta Teckentrup has a taken the classic Yuletide song, The Twelve Days of Christmas, and written and illustrated a peek-through picture book for the younger crowd.

Teckentrup's elves have engaging, welcoming faces, sure to draw a child in. The cover's snowflakes and holly are in silver foil, giving the book a definite festive feel and look.

Most of us know the song, with the number of gifts increasing on each day. Teckentrup starts
Barbara
I always enjoy looking at books with die-cut illustrations, and I'd never envisioning combining that design technique with one of my favorite holiday tunes, "The Twelve Days of Christmas." But this book does just that, and does it in an appealing way with cuts of different sizes and placed in various locations, spreading outward from the center where that very first gift, the partridge in a pear tree, stands. By the time the last page and last gifts have been given, with those 12 drummers ...more
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
eckentrup, Britta The Twelve Days of Christmas: A Peek-Through Picture Book. PICTURE BOOK. Doubleday Books for Young Readers, 2016. ISBN 1101940875 $14.99.

For twelve consecutive days leading up to Christmas, the narrator's true love gives them a variety of gifts. The number of gifts corresponds to the day--1 gift on the first day, 2 gifts on the second and so on. As the days go on and the gifts increase in number, the illustration of the "Pear Tree" from Day 1 gets larger and larger. The cut-out
Roben
Jan 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Nicely illustrated with peek-a-boo cutouts for each day. It would be more durable if it was printed on thicker paper, though. The pages, obviously, become more progressively filled with holes as the song progresses. I predict lots of torn pages once you get past day eight. I would suggest reinforcing the cut outs but the odd shapes make that impractical. You would have to cover each page in clear tape.
Beverly
Nov 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very clever die cuts slowly reveal all the gifts of the 12 days.
Rachel
Super cute way to present this song.
Samantha
The die-cut views of this popular Christmas carol give it a satisfyingly organized look. The digital artwork is vintage-inspired and well worth the look if in need of some seasonal fare. PreK-2.
Megan McCloud
Sep 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
There is only so much you can do with this song, but I liked the peek-through version!
Lynda
Aug 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Cute peek-through illustration of the song.
Jenna Mills
Dec 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Beautifully done.
Jacqui
Jan 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s
I like how each additional number of items was added.
Sasha
Apr 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christmas, children, pre-k
Loved the final page!
Erin
Nov 02, 2016 rated it liked it
pretty colors, gold and silver metallic and cut outs(but it's too fragile for public libraries unless it's reference)
Pam
Mar 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A delightful retelling of the song with cut out illustrations on each page.
Amy Lafleur Meyers
With lyrics and die-cut illustrations, we go through "The Twelve Days of Christmas" song. The die-cut illustrations reveal more and more of the gifts of Christmas until we get to the "twelve drummers drumming," in which the page gets a bit crowded. Creative picture book representation of a classic Christmas song.
Miss Sarah
Nov 21, 2016 rated it it was ok
As the classic song is sung each page reveals in cut away form the next object until they are all surrounding the tree.
Nathan  Moynihan

• Too Many Carrots
  • The Library Book
  • That's What Dinosaurs Do
  • How to Catch a Turkey
  • Nope. Never. Not for Me!
  • Inky the Octopus
  • Humpty Dumpty
  • She Made a Monster: How Mary Shelley Created Frankenstein
  • Zombelina: School Days
  • Clifford’s Birthday Party
  • Good Rosie
  • How to Catch an Elf
  • Llama Llama Holiday Drama
  • Richard Scarry's Best Christmas Book Ever!
Britta Teckentrup was born in Germany and moved to England in 1988. She is the author and illustrator of many books for children. She now lives in Berlin with her husband and young son.

Peek-Through Picture Book (4 books)
  • Tree: A Peek-Through Picture Book