Start by marking “A Child of Books” as Want to Read:
A Child of Books

A Child of Books

4.11  ·  Rating details ·  5,285 Ratings  ·  782 Reviews
I am a child of books.

I come from a world of stories.

A little girl sails her raft across a sea of words, arriving at the house of a small boy. She invites him to go away with her on an adventure into the world of stories... where, with only a little imaginaton, anything at all can happen.

Irresistibly engaging characters by Oliver Jeffers set sail and chart their way thro
Published September 6th 2016 by Candlewick Press (first published September 2016)

To ask other readers questions about A Child of Books, please sign up.
Kate Typically, if you have a library card you could check out free e-books on a public library website. Otherwise, try Amazon.

Elyse Walters
Apr 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I had been curious about this book since it won Goodreads best picture book of
the year - last year: 2016!

It's a sensational treasure. One must see it - feel it - touch it - spend time with it. I'm not sure who will have more fun -the parent or the child - exploring this book...
but it's my sense --- that little children will at first be enchanted by the illustrations

As a little girl and little boy are sailing the world together .....discovering treasures in darkness, traveling over mountains
Ruth
This isn't a picture book for children. Not really. This is a picture book for adults who grew up reading books and are in love with stories and are now reading picture books to their children. Because the illustrations are beautiful, but the little kids aren't going to derive the full enjoyment from realizing that the waves the ship is sailing on are made out of lines from Treasure Island and Captain Kidd, and that the wings of adventure are made out of words from Peter Pan and that the leaves ...more
Carol
May 02, 2017 added it
Shelves: children-s, fiction
A sea of imagination, a sea of words, a world of stories; A Child of Books. Some people may have forgotten where they live, these words, though I doubt this is you, my friends on GoodReads. Take the journey anyway, sail away with Oliver Jeffers and Sam Winston, for this trip is free.

This creatively worded and stunningly illustrated blend of fairytales and children’s classics handed down in time is a tribute to writing, to authors, to children, to readers, to the minds of thinkers. Irresistible.
David Schaafsma
Nov 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Each year I and my family read and rate all the Goodreads picture book nominees. This one is nominated for 2016. I make a few comments and then add their separate ratings and a comment. There's 20 (15 first round and 5 new ones for the semi-final round) and this is the twelfth being rated. My rating might be somewhat influenced by the family, naturally. I would have rated this 3, maybe, but since most of them rated it 4. . .

Hurbinek died in the first days of March 1945, free but was not redeemed
Hilary
Another hard to rate book. The illustrations are very good, polished and interesting. I would be happy with these if I was the illustrator.

The story is lacking, and stating the obvious. Books take you on adventures, travel to new places etc. Everyone on goodreads will already know this and I expect a few children have cottoned on to this too.

The illustrations are inventive and fun, a mixture of paint, pen and ink, print, photography, text. One page the children hide in the woods and the tree tru
بثينة العيسى
Dec 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Stunning!
Kelli
May 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
A great book to demonstrate to children where reading can take them and the transformative power of stories, and the sheer awesomeness of story plus imagination. This book is a celebration of books! It honors the great classics and their authors. It is unique and interactive, in that there are tons of teeny, tiny words much too small for these forty-something eyes to make out, which had my son excitedly proclaiming "I can read that for you". He already adores reading and loved asking me about al ...more
Kirsty
Aug 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: review-books
This book is beautiful. If like me you've been a bookworm since you were tiny the story will be all too familiar as it discusses that special world bookworms inhabit and how stories shape the world we live in giving us infinite worlds to explore and escape to.

I particularly love the art work which combines illustrations, images of books and passages of texts all integrated to make clever pictures (eg text used to make up the sea or clouds or a monster).

A really beautiful book for bookworms you
Thomas Stavrou
το σύμπαν δημιουργήθηκε από ιστορίες, όχι από άτομα.

#readathon17 [7/13] ~ [ένα παιδικό βιβλίο που να εκδόθηκε από το 2011 και μετά]
Nov 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books

“I am a child of books. I come from a world of stories and upon my imagination I float.”

An ocean of words takes us on an adventure filled with treasures, castles, monsters, and wonder. So much wonder! The words and art created by Oliver Jeffers and Sam Winston will take readers on a beautiful journey of imagination and inspiration.

The love of reading, books, and words lives on the pages of this book in more ways than one. In the words and in the art. The words create images in your heart and sou
Michele Knott
May 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'm going to have to read this book many more times to fully appreciate each and every detail that is on all of the pages. Just beautiful.
This book would make a beautiful theme to go back and discuss throughout the year.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
A love song to books and readers
Sarah Churchill
This is one of the most simple, beautiful, magical things I've ever read/looked at. studying the texts that have been used as part of the artwork is half the fun. I love the artwork style and the message is everything to me so, yeah, I love it. If only there were more of it!
Fatima Naji
Oct 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
❣ هذه الكتاب فيه الكثير و الكثير من الحب

رسومه نص بحد ذاتها

والنص الأدبي لا يقل روعة.

سيبهرك هذا الكتاب.

وإن كنت مصممًا، رسامًا وعاشقٌ للكتب،فستشعر أن هذا الكتاب طُبع لك.

كتاب للأطفال، ربما.

لكن ستحبه حتمًا.

Christie Angleton
A love letter to books.
Beth
This books is EVERYTHING. I'm so happy Candlewick sent me a copy before the first week of school because I WILL be sharing it with all of my students, K-8. Full review to come.
Agnė
3.5 out of 5
The story is simple and not unheard of before but it definitely rings true: books can help you travel the world.

The illustrations are cool. They are literally made of stories!

For example, the tree trunks in this forest of fairy tales are made of old books and the branches are actual lines from such tales as Little Red-Cap or Hansel & Gretel:

And guess what classics this monster is made from:

Ahh... and this spread is just plain beautiful:

All in all, since A Child of Books provides
Cheryl
Dec 02, 2017 rated it did not like it
According to this, the only genres worth reading are fantasy and adventure. "A Child of Stories" would be a slightly more accurate title. But what about kids who love to use books to learn, those who enjoy the Eyewitness books, and biographies, etc.?

And, no, I have not acquired a taste for Jeffers' art style.

Too bad that this got published when there are so many other odes to reading worth reading....
Toph
Nov 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
My sister actually read this one to me; I'm so excited about how much her skills have improved! It's a pretty cliché book about how reading is good and all that, but since I loved the illustrations (some of the pictures were made up of letters), I'll give this book a 4.
Arielle ⭐ Cursebreaker ⭐
I have sailed across a sea of words to ask if you will come away with me.
Danielle
Aug 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
"...we're made from stories."

(Would pair nicely with This is Sadie.)
David
Sep 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
A lovely literary picture book.
Gabriella
Jul 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: year-2, year-1
This book is so powerful. I think this book has a very important message for all children to do with imagination, information and books. I think it could spike children's love for reading. I think this book leaves you with lots to think of and could be used as a stimulus for discussions. I think the illustrations were very interesting, intricate, detailed and thought-provoking. I think this book is similar to a book called "The book of mistakes" by Corinna Luyken as it has a very powerful moral ...more
Zoe Wood
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I loved this book!! We read it in the first PGCE English lesson and it highlights how children (and adults) should love to read as it sparks the imagination! Beautiful illustrations.
Susie
Sep 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An absolutely endearing book! This one tugs at my heart strings and makes me long for more adventures, both in my own imagination and also in the vibrant world around me. Each time that I read this book, it feels like I'm receiving a huge and satisfying, lift-you-off-of-the-ground-and-twirl-you hug.
Michael Earp
Jun 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
An absolutely beautiful celebration of stories and how they can shape us, build us up, and connect us with far-flung people, places and concepts.
Hameed Younis
Aug 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: art, comics
كان غاليليو يتخيّل القراءة تمنح صاحبها طاقة خارقة بشكل ما، وتخيلها كافكا أشبه بفأس يكسّر الجليد داخل العقول. وفي مقاله الشهير عن القراءة، كتب هيرمان هيسة: في اللحظة التي يصل فيها الخيال أوجّه، لن يعود ما نقرأه مجرد ورق مطبوع، بل أشبه بالسباحة في تيار من الهواجس والغرائز داخل ما انكببنا على قراءته
تذكرت هذا وأكثر بعد أن قرأت الكتاب المصوّر (طفلة من كتب) إذ وجدته رحلة سحرية في عالم الكلمات والقراءة والتخيل، نقلته وترجمته لكم في المرفق

قراءة ممتعة
Marie the Librarian
*cries* THAT WAS SO F***ING BEAUTIFUL!!! I AM IN LOVE WITH THIS BOOK AND EVERYONE SHOULD READ IT. I cant say anymore because it needs to be experienced and read and loved.
Elizabeth A
Jun 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017, art, kids-ya
I've been making my way through several children's picture books lately. There is something quite lovely about holding a large brightly colored book in these adult hands that makes me happy.

I am a child of books.
I come from a world of stories.

Those two lines are what caught my attention. This is a book about the power of words, stories, and books, and while I really liked the art, especially the use of book texts, the writing itself was lackluster, and does not convey the magic of reading in m
Kellee
Full review with teaching tools: http://www.unleashingreaders.com/?p=1...

Oliver Jeffers has a way of writing such thought-provoking books with beautiful artwork that are just a bit weird yet so brilliant that you can’t help but reading it over and over. I know that sounds like such a fan girl review, but if you’ve read any of his books, you know exactly what I am talking about. Jeffers’s newest book is no exception. This book is about how stories can carry you wherever your imagination can imagi
Oliver Jeffers' work takes many forms. His distinctive paintings have been exhibited in galleries worldwide, and HarperCollins UK and Penguin USA publish his award-winning picture books, now translated into over 30 languages.

In 2007, Jeffers was the official illustrator for World Book Day, and in 2008 Lost and Found became Oliver's first book to made into animation by London-based Studio AKA.

Jeffe