Start by marking “Beginning at Moses: A Guide to Finding Christ in the Old Testament” as Want to Read:
Beginning at Moses: A Guide to Finding Christ in the Old Testament

Beginning at Moses: A Guide to Finding Christ in the Old Testament

Although not in every line and perhaps not on every page, the message of Christ overshadows the entire Old Testament. Finding Christ is the key that both unlocks and locks in the message of the whole Word of God. Jesus Christ is God's final, perfect, incomparable Word. Beginning at Moses seeks to follow the example of Christ Himself Who, "beginning at Moses and all the pro ...more
Published January 22nd 2016 by Ambassador International (first published November 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Beginning at Moses, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beginning at Moses

Start your review of Beginning at Moses: A Guide to Finding Christ in the Old Testament
Benedict Tan
Mar 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Michael Barrett's premise is simple: the Old Testament is about Christ and he can and should be found there as we read it - all the way from Genesis to Malachi.

Thus, his methodology is to first establish the Person and Work of Jesus Christ, as presented in the New Testament, then as we read the Old Testament, Christ is identified as the fulfilment or reality of Old Testament hints, clues or shadows.

In Part 1, he asks: Whom to look for? He then provides us with quite a comprehensive study on 'M
Hiram Diaz III
Aug 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
[Review originally published at BiblicalTrinitarian.com]

Barrett, Michael P. V. Beginning at Moses: A Guide to Finding Christ in the Old Testament (Greenville: Emerald House Group, 1999), 348pp.

The body of Christ has always recognized typology as Scripturally sanctioned, even mandated, means of interpreting the Scripture. However, there have been times in her history when the church has not understood the proper use and limits of typological exegesis. In part, this has led some to argue that typo
History7teacher
Mar 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a book to be read again and again!

I bought this book because of the author. Dr. Barrett was a beloved professor at my college, and I can hear his voice on every page. But I kept reading this book because of the content. There is so much help here in seeing Christ in the pages of the Old Testament. I have read this book slowly section by section on Sunday afternoons over many months. My soul has been nourished and my faith strengthened. I may very well start again. It’s that good!
Alex Koch
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Saints, this book will help you see The Lord Jesus Christ.

Yours in Christ,

Alex
Ietrio
Nov 08, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: junk
How one can take the Old Testament and turn it into a Summer past time: find the Jesus in the text. Who finds the most, wins a chocolate bar.
Paul Birch
Jan 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: history
Probably the best book for finding Christ in the Old Testament. Extremely thorough and readable. Writing style is quite lively
Benjamin Glaser
Jan 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
While I know some of Dr. Barrett's thinking has changed since he wrote this book 15 years ago there are so many helpful things for the young (and mature) Christian to learn from what he says in this work. The Old Testament is sadly both neglected and misused in today's church and I highly recommend it for use in whatever format you'd like. Obviously, I disagree with Dr. Barrett's pre-millenial takes, but outside of that I personally gained a lot from reading it.
Fr. Ted
Jun 01, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Too Protestant to be of much use for me, but I think Protestants who want to move beyond that limited perspective of reading Scripture might find his ideas helpful. He follows the Westminster Confession in terms of his beliefs, and stretches a bit into a way of reading the Old Testament in which Christ is the key by which to understand it. But the categories and his use of scripture remains very Protestant.
Rocky Woolery
Jan 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very good information for seeing Christ in the Old Testament. Helpful for finding Christ in places where it isn't as plain as others. I also very much appreciated that the author explained how one could identify Christ and then applied those methods with several passages, both familiar and less familiar.
Marvin Breshears
Oct 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A DYI manual for finding Christ in the OT

This book is not just a "here it is, and this is what it means" type of book, but it gives ideas on how to discover Jesus in the OT scriptures for your own personal study. If you don't want to study or think then this is not the book for you.
Alan Fuller
Jan 30, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: religion
Barrett identifies Christ through the filter of the Westminister Confession (17th century). He then connects Christ through dispensational covenants (19th century) and clear allusions found in the New Testament.
Keith Lannon
Feb 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Cbarrett
I will refrain from putting stars on this one. I will also confess that I have not read it cover to cover, although I have read it all. It has been used more as a reference than a sit-down book.
Michael Millar
Aug 10, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Fear and Faith: Finding the Peace Your Heart Craves
  • Emotionally Healthy Spirituality: Unleash a Revolution in Your Life In Christ
  • A Fox Hunting Murder (Inspector John Crow #7)
  • Aftermath (Inspector Banks, #12)
  • Dead Jealous (Calladine & Bayliss, #7)
  • Towards Zero (Superintendent Battle, #5)
  • Dead Water (Shetland Island, #5)
  • Dead Wrong (Calladine & Bayliss, #1)
  • Dead & Buried (Calladine & Bayliss, #5)
  • Careless Love (Inspector Banks, #25)
  • Child's Play (DI Kim Stone, #11)
  • The Quayside Murder (Eric Ward #3)
  • God Speaks: Finding Hope in the Midst of Hopelessness
  • The Sedleigh Hall Murder (Eric Ward #1)
  • Past Reason Hated (Inspector Banks, #5)
  • Red Bones (Shetland Island, #3)
  • The Sittaford Mystery
  • Wednesday's Child (Inspector Banks, #6)
Dr. Michael P. V. Barrett is the Vice President for Academic Affairs of the Whitefield College of the Bible, the Theological Seminary of the Free Presbyterian Church of North America. For almost thirty years, he was a professor of Ancient Languages and Old Testament Theology and Interpretation at Bob Jones University Seminary. His other works include "Complete in Him: A Guide to Understanding and ...more

News & Interviews

“The mindset of a believer every time he opens the Bible must be the conviction that whatever the Bible says is true. We cannot trust our reason to determine what is true or false, right or wrong.” 3 likes
“Faith is not a subjective exercise of positive thinking that tries to convince that something is true contrary to fact. On the contrary, faith is based on objective truth, and it has value only in proportion to the worth of the object of that faith. This is why faith must always supersede and subdue experience. Experience is entirely subjective and can never be the final and sole judge of anything.” 2 likes