Start by marking “Beginning at Moses: A Guide to Finding Christ in the Old Testament” as Want to Read:
Beginning at Moses: A Guide to Finding Christ in the Old Testament

Beginning at Moses: A Guide to Finding Christ in the Old Testament

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  152 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Although not in every line and perhaps not on every page, the message of Christ overshadows the entire Old Testament. Finding Christ is the key that both unlocks and locks in the message of the whole Word of God. Jesus Christ is God's final, perfect, incomparable Word. Beginning at Moses seeks to follow the example of Christ Himself Who, "beginning at Moses and all the pro ...more
Published January 22nd 2016 by Ambassador International (first published November 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Beginning at Moses, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beginning at Moses

Benedict Tan
Mar 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Michael Barrett's premise is simple: the Old Testament is about Christ and he can and should be found there as we read it - all the way from Genesis to Malachi.

Thus, his methodology is to first establish the Person and Work of Jesus Christ, as presented in the New Testament, then as we read the Old Testament, Christ is identified as the fulfilment or reality of Old Testament hints, clues or shadows.

In Part 1, he asks: Whom to look for? He then provides us with quite a comprehensive study on 'M
Alex Koch
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Saints, this book will help you see The Lord Jesus Christ.

Yours in Christ,

Alex
Paul Birch
Jan 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: history
Probably the best book for finding Christ in the Old Testament. Extremely thorough and readable. Writing style is quite lively
Benjamin Glaser
Jan 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
While I know some of Dr. Barrett's thinking has changed since he wrote this book 15 years ago there are so many helpful things for the young (and mature) Christian to learn from what he says in this work. The Old Testament is sadly both neglected and misused in today's church and I highly recommend it for use in whatever format you'd like. Obviously, I disagree with Dr. Barrett's pre-millenial takes, but outside of that I personally gained a lot from reading it.
Fr. Ted
Jun 01, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Too Protestant to be of much use for me, but I think Protestants who want to move beyond that limited perspective of reading Scripture might find his ideas helpful. He follows the Westminster Confession in terms of his beliefs, and stretches a bit into a way of reading the Old Testament in which Christ is the key by which to understand it. But the categories and his use of scripture remains very Protestant.
Rocky Woolery
Jan 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very good information for seeing Christ in the Old Testament. Helpful for finding Christ in places where it isn't as plain as others. I also very much appreciated that the author explained how one could identify Christ and then applied those methods with several passages, both familiar and less familiar.
Marvin Breshears
Oct 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A DYI manual for finding Christ in the OT

This book is not just a "here it is, and this is what it means" type of book, but it gives ideas on how to discover Jesus in the OT scriptures for your own personal study. If you don't want to study or think then this is not the book for you.
Alan Fuller
Jan 30, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: religion
Barrett identifies Christ through the filter of the Westminister Confession (17th century). He then connects Christ through dispensational covenants (19th century) and clear allusions found in the New Testament.
Cbarrett
I will refrain from putting stars on this one. I will also confess that I have not read it cover to cover, although I have read it all. It has been used more as a reference than a sit-down book.
Michael Millar
Apr 28, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • For All the Saints: Remembering the Christians Departed
  • The Mark of the Christian
  • Contending with Christianity's Critics: Answering New Atheists and Other Objectors
  • Storylines: Your Map to Understanding the Bible
  • A Body of Divinity: Contained in Sermons upon the Westminster Assembly's Catechism
  • His Word in My Heart: Memorizing Scripture for a Closer Walk with God
  • Jesus the Evangelist: Learning to Share the Gospel from the Book of John
  • Practical Theology for Women: How Knowing God Makes a Difference in Our Daily Lives
  • Blood Work: How the Blood of Christ Accomplishes Our Salvation
  • Putting Amazing Back into Grace: Embracing the Heart of the Gospel
  • Five Views on Law and Gospel
  • The Prophecy of Isaiah: An Introduction & Commentary
  • Jesus, Keep Me Near the Cross: Experiencing the Passion and Power of Easter
  • Incarnation: The Person and Life of Christ
  • Jesus on Every Page: 10 Simple Ways to Seek and Find Christ in the Old Testament
  • Communion with God
  • The Justification of God: An Exegetical and Theological Study of Romans 9:1-23
  • A Survey of Old Testament Introduction
Dr. Michael P. V. Barrett is the Vice President for Academic Affairs of the Whitefield College of the Bible, the Theological Seminary of the Free Presbyterian Church of North America. For almost thirty years, he was a professor of Ancient Languages and Old Testament Theology and Interpretation at Bob Jones University Seminary. His other works include "Complete in Him: A Guide to Understanding and ...more
More about Michael P.V. Barrett

$7.99 $1.99
    $27.99 $2.99
  • Waiter Rant: Thanks for the Tip-Confessions of a Cynical Waiter
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Dakota: A Spiritual Geography (Dakotas)
  • Restless: Because You Were Made for More
    $7.99 $1.99
  • A. Lincoln
  • Tracks: One Woman's Journey Across 1,700 Miles of Australian Outback
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dark Matter and the Dinosaurs: The Astounding Interconnectedness of the Universe
    $9.74 $1.99
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Edgar Allan Poe: The Fever Called Living
  • The Road to Jonestown: Jim Jones and Peoples Temple
    $12.99 $2.99
“The mindset of a believer every time he opens the Bible must be the conviction that whatever the Bible says is true. We cannot trust our reason to determine what is true or false, right or wrong.” 3 likes
“Faith is not a subjective exercise of positive thinking that tries to convince that something is true contrary to fact. On the contrary, faith is based on objective truth, and it has value only in proportion to the worth of the object of that faith. This is why faith must always supersede and subdue experience. Experience is entirely subjective and can never be the final and sole judge of anything.” 2 likes