Start by marking “Schizo: Hidden in Plain Sight” as Want to Read:
Schizo: Hidden in Plain Sight

Read Book

Schizo: Hidden in Plain Sight

3.78  ·  Rating details ·  27 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
An ambitious future surgeon on his psychiatry rotation is assigned a patient who reveals to him information about an organized plot to control the population. His pursuit of the truth leads him to become a psychiatric patient in the same facility.

Dan Greenberg was a promising medical student who was derailed by Catherine—a bizarre schizophrenic patient whose delusions abou
Published September 15th 2016 by Waldorf Publishing

Linda Strong
Aug 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars

Dan Greenberg is a medical student doing a rotation through the psychiatric ward. One of his charges is Catherine, who predicts people in danger, names and hospitals, and patient room numbers. Dan thinks it is due to her schizophrenia, but after a little bit of research, he finds that her information is correct.

But his research has led to more questions. Why is he all of a sudden being followed? Who are these people in the black vans? And what is that small disk that Dan removed from o
Patty
Aug 12, 2016 rated it it was ok
Netgalley provided this book to me in exchange for an honest review. It was okay, the first half much better than the second. It is about a medical student, Dan, that goes to a mental institution as part of his psychiatry rotation where he has to interview and diagnose two patients through talking with them. One of the patients he meets is Catherine who hears voices, and we are to believe that she is either psychic or her voices are telling her that there are other patients in other hospitals th ...more
Susan Angela Wallace
Sep 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Schizo by Ilene Benator is a literary fiction and mystery and thriller read.
Dan Greenberg was a promising medical student who was derailed by Catherine--a bizarre schizophrenic patient whose delusions about patients in danger at hospitals all around Chicago were startlingly specific.
Drawn by both curiosity and compassion, Dan investigates, discovering that they were exactly where Catherine said they would be. Who are these people? Why are they in danger? Are they connected with each other?
This
Lisa
Oct 22, 2016 rated it it was ok
Benator's writing utilizing medical terminology allows the reader to fully embrace the characters and their behaviors. I particularly enjoyed the explanation of terminology on phrases, procedures, etc. that would not be familiar to everyday "Joe".

The idea of the book really grabbed me. I wish I could say that I was more pleased by the way the story moved and concluded, but by about 70% complete I was wishing for the book to be over... I was over it. The ending felt like a "what the?" / it felt
Lilly
Oct 30, 2016 rated it it was ok
I received this free copy in exchange for an honest review

I did not like this book. The only reason I am giving 2 stars instead of 1 is because I believe that some people will.

The characters were in general not very believable. Especially the protagonist, Dan. Melinda is not even likable. I felt like the author was trying to make her look so bad. You'd think that characters would matter in a novel like this, but actually, they all seem the same. Even Dan's not likable, and he is a know-it-all.
Shawna
Mar 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Started out well but fell apart for me after about 35%. The concept of a medical student being locked up in a mental institution as part of a plot to keep him from revealing a larger conspiracy was hard to swallow. In addition the story became too bogged down with unnecessary details to maintain my interest.
Cindy McBride
Aug 18, 2016 rated it liked it
I'm giving this book only three stars, primarily because while I thought the plot was unique and I genuinely liked the two major characters, I found that many of the things they were able to accomplish (and many of the e-sources they were able to hack, seemingly without much effort) really pushed the limits of credibility, thus forcing me to downgrade my rating despite enjoying the story itself.

I was fascinated by the initial interaction between Danny, a second-year med student, and Catherine,
Kath
Sep 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Well, this kept my attention nicely throughout. I did find it hard to put down on occasion which didn't really help as I read it when I was on holiday and, unlike some, holidays are when I have the least time for reading. Consequently, it took me a fair while to actually get through but the story was buzzing round my head all the time I was away from it.
Dan is a medical student doing a psychiatric rotation. One of his "case studies" is Catherine and she starts to reveal some strange information
Amy
Aug 11, 2016 rated it liked it
This is closer to 2.5 stars than 3 for me.

The premise for this book is unique and at the very beginning, I felt it hooked me in. What kept me from really getting into the book or becoming invested in the characters, was the author's personal writing style. After doing a little research on her and the background to the book, it made sense to me why I was having some difficulties.

The author is a practicing Emergency Physician and her knowledge about the medical field shone through in the sections
Victoria
Feb 08, 2017 rated it did not like it
As an avid reader, it is hard for me to not finish a book that I started. In recent years, with an ever-growing To Be Read pile, I have started instituting the 50-page rule. Basically, if at fifty pages, I cannot find anything redeeming about a book, I set it aside, unfinished. Only a handful of books each year meets this fate - luckily, I have a pretty good track record of selecting books that I can find something to make the book worth finishing. Unfortunately, this book falls into that handfu ...more
Romuald Dzemo
Apr 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I am reproducing a review I already posted on Readers Favorite for this compelling book:

A schizophrenic patient, Catherine, has visions of patients in terrible danger in Chicago hospitals, visions that could be dismissed out of hand as delusions, except that every detail checks out. An ambitious student with dreams of becoming an ENT doctor is set up and institutionalized for the murder of his girlfriend, because he asks questions that shouldn’t be asked. Aided by a sleazy murderer, Dan Greenber
Susan
Sep 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Dan Greenberg is a resident in the psych department. A patient, Catherine has talked about patients in hospitals including the room number with reference that they are in danger. At first Dan thought it was just ramblings but then talks to his girlfriend about Catherine. They decide to check out these people. What will they find? Dan checks a catscan of Catherine when he finds out she has died. He is able to attend her autopsy and manages to explore where he saw an irregular spot on her head. He ...more
Jessica Bronder
Nov 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Dan Greenberg is a medical student that becomes fascinated with a schizophrenic patient, Catherine. Catherine is worried about hospital patients that are in danger. When Dan looks into this he finds that Catherine is very accurate. Dan works with Catherine to find the connection and instead finds himself being blamed for the death of his girlfriend and an inmate at the same institute. Dan finds himself working with Jake, another inmate, to try and clear his name.

I was caught by the blurb on this
Jody McGrath
Apr 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
I was not sure what to expect going into this book. The premise was a bit strange. It jumps back and forth between the past and the present also. All of that being said, I really liked it. Some of the parts were predictable, but others were amazingly inventive. The protagonist is someone who you instantly like and can sympathize with. The jumping back and forth in time was actually not confusing in the least bit.
The only problems I had with this book was 1. Everything was really easy for them t
Amy Shannon
Sep 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Terrifyingly believable!

Knowing the background of the author made this story more real and more terrifying. It's one thing to be scared and horrified with the context of a story, but realizing it coudl all be true, makes it more wonderfully scary. I absolutely love this story! If I could give it more than 5 stars, I would. It's an emotionally charged, first person POV story ... Dan's story. "I would discover things I wish I never knew. If I could do it all over again, knowing what I know now, I
emily
Nov 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Schizo: Hidden in Plain Sight took me by surprise. I wasn't expecting the intensity of the book, it's great! I was lost at the beginning of the book, the perspective-time change did throw me off track until I got used to it which was probably a third into the book. I was really captured by Dan's story, it was filled with so much suspense! Schizo: Hidden in Plain Sight is written so well that it was like a movie playing in my head. The story itself gives off that vibe. I would reccomend Schizo: H ...more
Pat Byrnes
Mar 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Do you want Suspense? Schizo has it...

Do you want Great Characters? Schizo has it...

Do you like a Shocking Ending? Schizo has it...

Ilene wrote a masterful novel using her medical knowledge to bring this thriller to life. I can't think of anything negative to say. I finished the novel a just sat numbed at the ending. If there is squeal to this novel, which avenue will Ilene take her readers. There are three possibilities and I will watch for the next installment.

If you like to root for the good g
Linda Donohue
Aug 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaways-read
Other reviews give you a synopsis of the story. The book is well written, lots of twist and turns and a surprise ending with a set up for the next novel. I enjoyed technilogical resources used in the story. Benator has proven herself as a top notch author. I received this novel through a Goodreads giveaway, I thank the author and publisher for the opportunity to read this book. My daughter in Austin, TX has a Free Little Library in her front yard, and I am sending this book to her for her neighb ...more
AmAtHome
Aug 18, 2016 rated it liked it
The main character, Dan Greenberg, is pretty realistically written and likeable. When his med school rotation in a psych ward takes him down a bizarre path and turns him into a murder suspect, he forms some unlikely alliances in order to find the answers to questions based on the "visions" of a schizophrenic patient.

There are also some interesting points of what mentally ill people receive as care from the medical field, and left me thinking about how thin is that line between sane/insane.

I rec
Jill
Jun 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A very vibrant account of one man’s inquisitive nature that ended with him locked up in a mental ward. Author Benator weaves an interesting tale of what happens when a medical student asks too many questions resulting in unwanted consequences. Sometimes the transition between current and past activities were a little hard to get use to even though two different typefaces emphasis the chronological changes. The story was interesting and the ending was unexpected.
Barbara
May 23, 2016
Carla
Nov 28, 2017
Ilene Benator
Jan 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Acacia Ives
  • A Season for Everything: Coloring Book
  • Bookish: Adult Coloring Book
  • Do Not Assume
  • Highway (Highway, #1)
  • Why Is the Dalai Lama Always Smiling?: A Westerner's Introduction and Guide to Tibetan Buddhist Practice
  • Twinkle
  • Coloring Inside the Dreams: Coloring Pages and Haiku
  • Liberty's Last Stand (Jake Grafton #11; Tommy Carmellini #7)
  • It's Not Your Journey
  • A Pool of Tears
  • Sky Shamans of Mongolia: Meetings with Remarkable Healers

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• The Shadow District
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Play Dead (Elise Sandburg Series Book 1)
  • The Weight of Lies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Thief Taker (The Thief Taker, #1)
  • The Things We Wish Were True
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Adversary (A Chris Bruen Novel Book 1)
  • Daisy in Chains
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Jury Master (David Sloane, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Look Behind You (Kendra Michaels, #5)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Last Town (Wayward Pines, #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Wayward (Wayward Pines, #2)
  • Pretty Little Things
  • Social Death
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Murder at the Flamingo (A Van Buren and DeLuca Mystery #1)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Wings Of Fire (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #2)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Pretty Dead
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Mother Knows Best (A Margie Peterson Mystery)
  • Damage Control
  • The North Water
    $9.99 $3.99
  • Agatha Raisin and the Murderous Marriage (Agatha Raisin, #5)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Watchers Of Time (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #5)
  • Bone River
    $3.99 $0.99
  • As The Crow Flies (DI Nick Dixon #1)
  • Jaws
    $10.99 $2.99
  • The Widow File (Dani Britton, #1)
  • Blacklands
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Prisoner of Heaven (Cemetery of Forgotten Books, #3)
  • The Romanov Cross
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Girl from Krakow
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Killing Ruby Rose (Ruby Rose #1)
  • A Purple Place for Dying: A Travis McGee Novel
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Dead Water (Shetland Island, #5)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Pines (Wayward Pines, #1)
  • The Newsmakers
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Intrusion (A Chris Bruen Novel)
  • Brighton
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Lowcountry Bonfire (Liz Talbot Mystery #6)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Widow's Watcher
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Livia Lone (Livia Lone, #1)
  • Word of Honor
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Among the Mad (Maisie Dobbs, #6)
    $9.99 $3.99
  • A Blood Thing
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Baltimore Blues  (Tess Monaghan, #1)
  • Vanishing Girls
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Aftermath (Inspector Banks, #12)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Girl in the Moss (Angie Pallorino, #3)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Broken Grace
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Carved in Bone (Body Farm, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Map of Bones (Sigma Force, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Only the Innocent (DCI Tom Douglas #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Dead Aim (Eve Duncan, #4.5)
    $7.99 $1.99
“An atom is as true as a grain of sand
and yet
The former can ne’er be felt until the mingling
Of many in unison
Lends form and substance to the invisible

---Dreams---”