Start by marking “Write to Market: Deliver a Book that Sells (Write Faster, Write Smart, #3)” as Want to Read:
Write to Market: Deliver a Book that Sells (Write Faster, Write Smart, #3)

Write to Market: Deliver a Book that Sells

(Write Faster, Write Smarter #3)

Many authors write, then market. Successful authors write TO market

Have you written a book that just isn’t selling? Would you like to write a book that readers eagerly devour?

Many authors write, then market. Successful authors write TO market. They start by figuring out how to give readers what they want, and that process begins before writing word one of your novel.

Thi
Published February 12th 2015

To ask other readers questions about Write to Market, please sign up.

Start your review of Write to Market: Deliver a Book that Sells (Write Faster, Write Smart, #3)
Swaroop
Write and market, or Write to market...

Chris Fox's Write to Market is a quick and useful read for all the new and upcoming writers.
Rose
Feb 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I've been firmly in the camp that thinks that "trope" and "writing to market" are tar and feathering offenses, mostly due to too much personal experience with writers who thought a checklist of TV Tropes made any kind of cohesive story, or that turning out a Harry Potter/Twilight/Hunger Games/etc clone would net them the cash if they could just hop on the bandwagon fast enough. It makes me want to tear out my hair and scream and I'm unutterably tired of the endless parade of clones of whatever t ...more
Bon Tom
Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I will do unusual thing. I'll give 5 stars to the book in which I don't think I like a single word or thing that it says. Because I accept and realize its teachings as perfect truths.

So. If you're budding writer, this book will put you in contact with some cold, harsh realities of business. And if you want to profit, you better apply it. When you "pay your dues", as the book says, you can have your pleasure of writing books that you want, how you want.

Unless you're all too pretty to pay your bil
J.A. Cipriano
Feb 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to receive an Arc of this book.

Let me just say, if you want to read one book about how to succeed in today’s market place. This is the one you should read. Not only is it crafted in Chris’s excellent voice, but it’s written for the here and now. This is not something that worked in 2011 or even 2013. This is something that worked in January of 2016.

Here’s what will happen when you read this. You will begin by saying “It shouldn’t be this way.” Then you’ll think about it for
Suzannah
Jan 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Starting the New Year right with some indie-authoring wisdom ;)

Like most sensitive artists with literary pretensions, "write to market" sounded like a horrible way to prostitute my art. Maybe it is. Then again, maybe it's not. Chris Fox did an excellent job in this book of laying out a method of choosing a genre, discovering what the readers in your genre want to read, and researching, writing, and packaging in such a way as to meet those desires.

This is less about turning out carbon copies of b
Traci Loudin
Jun 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book changed my entire philosophy on writing. Build it and they will come just doesn't make sense. I love blending genres, but before I can build a cool career of genre-bending books, first I need to gain a fanbase and prove I can deliver what readers want to read. Unfortunately, when I read this book, I'd already finished writing Book 1 of an epic fantasy series. So now I'm trying to retrofit what I learned from Write to Market to this Book 1, even though it's an oversaturated market. At t ...more
Kenya Wright
May 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
All the information was valuable. I just already knew it, but I think this is a must-read for any new, emerging INDIE author. There are clear tools to success. Some things discussed in the book are controversial, yet unfortunately with this industry. . .those tools are spot on.

I would just say make sure you remain true to yourself in doing certain tactics. All and all, excellent book. No regrets. Sometimes I need to be reminded, so this remains in my library.
Jennifer Ellision
Mar 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Some interesting ideas here... my biggest takeaway is still write what you like in the genre you like but analyze which books in your sphere are selling really well and figure out what tropes they have in common and tweak accordingly.
Eldon Farrell
You ever been in a bookstore, or digitally browsing the shelves at Amazon, and wondered to yourself why so many books seem like just variations on a theme? Chris Fox has the answer - and may have helped contribute to it.

His book Write to Market implores authors to find the market first, then write the book tailored to it. The advice is sound. And while, it may clog up the shelves with slightly similar reading material, it also lines the pockets of several authors. If you want to make your writin
Juliann Whicker
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
Wow this was disappointing. I should say that I am disappointed. I just read 5K/Hr and LOVED it. Here are the things that I loved about that one and hated about this one. 5K, finally a writing book that wasn't filled with shameless self-promotion! Wow, a book where the cross-purpose of marketing their other books wasn't a constant interruption to what I actually wanted to read. This book, so much about the author's other books. So much.

Look at me, I wrote a bunch of books and I'm writing a bunc
Julie
Jul 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, writing
This is a short book, with a lot of exercises in it. I honestly wish the first exercise was a little more clearcut. That's sort of the most important one. Finding a subgenre that has readers, but maybe not enough authors in it yet. I'm not sure how far to dig down in subgenres... just go by the bestseller lists, or find sub-subgenres at the bottom of a book's page? And what rank was I supposed to be looking for again?

And I have the Kindle Spy Chrome plugin, so actually a bit about how to use Kin
Tim Niederriter
Apr 30, 2016 rated it liked it
Time tells

This book feels like a bare minimum. I wanted both more instruction and examples. Over all I was disappointed in the book.
April Wilson
Feb 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A compelling argument for how to write commercially successful novels. If you're struggling to find your audience as a writer, this book may show you the way to financial success.
Suanne Laqueur
Well, now I'm depressed.
August
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Amazingly helpful. Yes, you have to be in a certain place to hear the advice in this book, but if you are, it rings true. And it's practical. It's a great reminder that writing is hard damn work, and if you don't put in the effort on the 20% of things that will gain you 80% of your success (Pareto and all that), you won't publish books that sell because you won't publish books at all. Highly recommended to authors who are interested in making a real career out of self-publishing.
Suz
Aug 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio, nonfiction
Relatively simplistic and easy to understand. I'm going to run through it again in the near future specifically to do the workbook stuff.

Heather Gilbert
May 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-reads
This book was worth every penny and a whole lot more. Great indie publishing advice for 2018. Definitely got my wheels spinning. Highly recommend.
Gwen Mitchell
Mar 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: writing-biz
Really Useful

I had been doing a lot of the market research described in this book in an attempt to somehow absorb it all and make sense of it. The way it is organized and outlined here makes perfect sense and whether you decide to "write to market" or not, the exercises alone are worth it.
Dany
Mar 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
An interesting, useful read. The exercises were particularly helpful.
Gareth Otton
I'm on the fence about this book. The artist in me wants to tear into it and call it nonsense. The author in me who wants his books to do well and recognises logic when he sees it can see that there is at least a little merit to be found here.

What I eventually concluded was that what you get out of this book depends on what kind of writer you want to be.

This is essentially a book that tells you how to work/game the system so that you write books that sell. It involves figuring out what readers
Amy Wells
Sep 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great ideas. I will definitely be using these ideas when determining my next book to write.
Brian Menue
Feb 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a quick read with very helpful information. I have a new focus on goals and knowing my genres than I did before starting.
Leanne Hunt
Sep 23, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: how-to
This book was very helpful. It motivated me to research the authors writing in my genre and think about my market in concrete terms.
I gather there is rather a negative attitude amongst authors about writing to market but I struggle to see why this should be. A restaurant owner studies his market when deciding what food to serve, a film maker studies his market when choosing a script for his next movie, and a producer of advertising content studies his market when setting up a campaign. In the sa
Patrick Sherriff
May 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: on-writing
"Dad?"
"Yeah."
"You write books, right?"
"Right."
"How come only your friends and family read them?"
"Well, it's not only them..."
"But mostly, right?"
"Right."

Damn the wisdom of children. There are many reasons why my books aren't tearing up the bestseller charts, but essentially the answer is I haven't written them to market. I've written them first, then thought about the market second, if at all. What Chris Fox proposes is to get scientific about doing market research on Amazon then writing books w
Stephanie Bibb
Aug 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Write to Market: Deliver a Book that Sells is a fairly short, concise read that covers Chris Fox's methods for targeting a particular audience. He includes examples, and there's a lot of good information here about how to evaluate the books in the market you're considering targeting, as well as what to look for. Now, I haven't tested the theories for myself or completed all of the exercises, so I'm not sure how useful it will be in the long run. But I've been considering the various strategies a ...more
Melissa Storm
Jan 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Authors who understand what writing to market means no it's not selling out. It's being smart and providing a great experience for your readers. Like Chris, I have learned what my readers enjoy and what they most want from books by talking with them, reading books they recommend, reading their reviews of my books, and more. It has made me a better writer and made the whole thing more fulfilling. I'm touching readers' lives with my words, and I'm living my best life too. Read the book before maki ...more
Nancy
Feb 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A valuable aid to anyone who wants to write indie novels for profit, Write to Market is a quick but useful read. Chris Fox clearly lays out how to plan to write a novel that will find its niche, one which readers will snap up. Fox doesn't meander or pontificate, getting tips and information across in concise, to-the-point chapters, and the exercises he has at the end of each are actually useful (which is refreshing, compared to a lot of writing books).

I highly recommend this one to anyone who w
Emma Sea
Mar 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
It's short - 905 locations - and even then the guts of it is just chapter four; analyzing sales rankings to identify under-served genres. I haven't implemented this advice about writing to market yet, but I will, so I might come back and report in.

Maybe the most valuable aspect of the book is giving a writer permission to do things they might have decided on their own e.g. 80% is good enough. Don't spend another six months polishing the last 20%. Let go of the book, learn from it, and write the
J.A. Ironside
Feb 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, writing
Concise, clear and challenging the long held, preconceived and essentially incorrect notion that writing for a specific market - inside a genre you love and would write in anyway - is somehow being untrue to the ethos of Art and selling out. This is a great practical guide with plenty to teach the experienced writer as well as the newbie.
Jeff Willis
Feb 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Before I read this book, I never really considered the idea of writing to market. I've always been a big advocate for writing marketable material, but Chris really breaks down the process of analyzing sales data and finding underserved niches to capitalize on. Even if you're not the kind of person who is interested in catering your writing to the market, this is still a worthwhile read for anyone who wants a better understanding of how the Amazon marketplace operates.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Newsletter Ninja: How to Become an Author Mailing List Expert
  • Become a Successful Indie Author: Work Toward Your Writing Dream
  • Release Strategies: Plan your self-publishing schedule for maximum benefit (Successful Indie Author Book 2)
  • Take Off Your Pants! Outline Your Books for Faster, Better Writing
  • Romancing the Beat: Story Structure for Romance Novels (How to Write Kissing Books Book 1)
  • Writing and Releasing Rapidly
  • Reader Magnets: Build Your Author Platform and Sell more Books on Kindle (Book Marketing for Authors 1)
  • How to Write a Sizzling Synopsis: A Step-by-Step System for Enticing New Readers, Selling More Fiction, and Making Your Books Sound Good
  • Amazon Ads for Authors: Tips and Strategies to Sell Your Books
  • How to Make a Living with Your Writing: Books, Blogging and More
  • Successful Self-Publishing: How to self-publish and market your book in ebook and print
  • Dear Writer, You Need to Quit
  • Ten Tips for Topping the Romance Charts: How To Get Your Own Happy Ever After
  • Writing A Page-Turner: Five Editing Maxims to Make Your Book Irresistible
  • Help! My Facebook Ads Suck
  • Pricing Strategies: Maximize your bottom line for long-term financial health (Successful Indie Author Book 5)
  • Strangers To Superfans: A Marketing Guide to the Reader Journey
By day I am an iPhone developer architecting the app used to scope Stephen Colbert’s ear. By night I am Batman. Ok maybe not. One can dream though, right?

I’ve been writing since I was six years old and started inflicting my work on others at age 18. By age 24 people stopped running away when I approached them with a new story and shortly thereafter I published my first one in the Rifter.

Wait you’r

Write Faster, Write Smarter (7 books)
  • 5,000 Words Per Hour: Write Faster, Write Smarter
  • Lifelong Writing Habit: The Secret to Writing Every Day
  • Launch to Market: Easy Marketing For Authors (Write Faster, Write Smarter, #4)
  • Six Figure Author: Using Data to Sell Books (Write Faster, Write Smarter Book 5)
  • Relaunch Your Novel: Breathe Life Into Your Backlist (Write Faster, Write Smarter Book 6)
  • Plot Gardening: Write Faster, Write Smarter