Start by marking “Write to Market: Deliver a Book that Sells (Write Faster, Write Smart, #3)” as Want to Read:
Write to Market: Deliver a Book that Sells (Write Faster, Write Smart, #3)

Write to Market: Deliver a Book that Sells

(Write Faster, Write Smarter #3)

4.48  ·  Rating details ·  646 Ratings  ·  154 Reviews
Many authors write, then market. Successful authors write TO market

Have you written a book that just isn’t selling? Would you like to write a book that readers eagerly devour?

Many authors write, then market. Successful authors write TO market. They start by figuring out how to give readers what they want, and that process begins before writing word one of your novel.

Thi
Published February 12th 2015

To ask other readers questions about Write to Market, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Write to Market

Rose
Feb 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I've been firmly in the camp that thinks that "trope" and "writing to market" are tar and feathering offenses, mostly due to too much personal experience with writers who thought a checklist of TV Tropes made any kind of cohesive story, or that turning out a Harry Potter/Twilight/Hunger Games/etc clone would net them the cash if they could just hop on the bandwagon fast enough. It makes me want to tear out my hair and scream and I'm unutterably tired of the endless parade of clones of whatever t ...more
J.A. Cipriano
Feb 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to receive an Arc of this book.

Let me just say, if you want to read one book about how to succeed in today’s market place. This is the one you should read. Not only is it crafted in Chris’s excellent voice, but it’s written for the here and now. This is not something that worked in 2011 or even 2013. This is something that worked in January of 2016.

Here’s what will happen when you read this. You will begin by saying “It shouldn’t be this way.” Then you’ll think about it for
Suzannah
Jan 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, writing
Starting the New Year right with some indie-authoring wisdom ;)

Like most sensitive artists with literary pretensions, "write to market" sounded like a horrible way to prostitute my art. Maybe it is. Then again, maybe it's not. Chris Fox did an excellent job in this book of laying out a method of choosing a genre, discovering what the readers in your genre want to read, and researching, writing, and packaging in such a way as to meet those desires.

This is less about turning out carbon copies of b
Traci Loudin
Jun 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book changed my entire philosophy on writing. Build it and they will come just doesn't make sense. I love blending genres, but before I can build a cool career of genre-bending books, first I need to gain a fanbase and prove I can deliver what readers want to read. Unfortunately, when I read this book, I'd already finished writing Book 1 of an epic fantasy series. So now I'm trying to retrofit what I learned from Write to Market to this Book 1, even though it's an oversaturated market. At t ...more
Jennifer Ellision
Mar 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Some interesting ideas here... my biggest takeaway is still write what you like in the genre you like but analyze which books in your sphere are selling really well and figure out what tropes they have in common and tweak accordingly.
Julie
Jul 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: writing, nonfiction
This is a short book, with a lot of exercises in it. I honestly wish the first exercise was a little more clearcut. That's sort of the most important one. Finding a subgenre that has readers, but maybe not enough authors in it yet. I'm not sure how far to dig down in subgenres... just go by the bestseller lists, or find sub-subgenres at the bottom of a book's page? And what rank was I supposed to be looking for again?

And I have the Kindle Spy Chrome plugin, so actually a bit about how to use Kin
April Wilson
Feb 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A compelling argument for how to write commercially successful novels. If you're struggling to find your audience as a writer, this book may show you the way to financial success.
Tim Niederriter
Apr 30, 2016 rated it liked it
Time tells

This book feels like a bare minimum. I wanted both more instruction and examples. Over all I was disappointed in the book.
M.A. Nichols
Jul 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I really enjoyed this book. It has a lot of good, actionable advice to help indie authors improve their productivity and the quality and marketability of their novels. I would highly recommend authors reading this if they wish to understand marketing their novels better, and I have seen how following this line of thinking when approaching your novels helps sell them better.

The only reason I took a star off is that I read both this and "Six Figure Author" back-to-back, and there is a bit of repea
August
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Amazingly helpful. Yes, you have to be in a certain place to hear the advice in this book, but if you are, it rings true. And it's practical. It's a great reminder that writing is hard damn work, and if you don't put in the effort on the 20% of things that will gain you 80% of your success (Pareto and all that), you won't publish books that sell because you won't publish books at all. Highly recommended to authors who are interested in making a real career out of self-publishing.
Suz
Aug 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio, nonfiction
Relatively simplistic and easy to understand. I'm going to run through it again in the near future specifically to do the workbook stuff.

Suanne Laqueur
Well, now I'm depressed.
Heather Gilbert
May 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-reads
This book was worth every penny and a whole lot more. Great indie publishing advice for 2018. Definitely got my wheels spinning. Highly recommend.
Gwen Mitchell
Mar 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: writing-biz
Really Useful

I had been doing a lot of the market research described in this book in an attempt to somehow absorb it all and make sense of it. The way it is organized and outlined here makes perfect sense and whether you decide to "write to market" or not, the exercises alone are worth it.
Juliann Whicker
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
Wow this was disappointing. I should say that I am disappointed. I just read 5K/Hr and LOVED it. Here are the things that I loved about that one and hated about this one. 5K, finally a writing book that wasn't filled with shameless self-promotion! Wow, a book where the cross-purpose of marketing their other books wasn't a constant interruption to what I actually wanted to read. This book, so much about the author's other books. So much.

Look at me, I wrote a bunch of books and I'm writing a bunc
Dany
Mar 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
An interesting, useful read. The exercises were particularly helpful.
Brian Menue
Feb 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a quick read with very helpful information. I have a new focus on goals and knowing my genres than I did before starting.
Leanne Hunt
Sep 23, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: indie-publishing
This book was very helpful. It motivated me to research the authors writing in my genre and think about my market in concrete terms.
I gather there is rather a negative attitude amongst authors about writing to market but I struggle to see why this should be. A restaurant owner studies his market when deciding what food to serve, a film maker studies his market when choosing a script for his next movie, and a producer of advertising content studies his market when setting up a campaign. In the sa
Patrick Sherriff
May 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: on-writing
"Dad?"
"Yeah."
"You write books, right?"
"Right."
"How come only your friends and family read them?"
"Well, it's not only them..."
"But mostly, right?"
"Right."

Damn the wisdom of children. There are many reasons why my books aren't tearing up the bestseller charts, but essentially the answer is I haven't written them to market. I've written them first, then thought about the market second, if at all. What Chris Fox proposes is to get scientific about doing market research on Amazon then writing books w
Stephanie Bibb
Aug 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Write to Market: Deliver a Book that Sells is a fairly short, concise read that covers Chris Fox's methods for targeting a particular audience. He includes examples, and there's a lot of good information here about how to evaluate the books in the market you're considering targeting, as well as what to look for. Now, I haven't tested the theories for myself or completed all of the exercises, so I'm not sure how useful it will be in the long run. But I've been considering the various strategies a ...more
J.A. Ironside
Feb 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, writing
Concise, clear and challenging the long held, preconceived and essentially incorrect notion that writing for a specific market - inside a genre you love and would write in anyway - is somehow being untrue to the ethos of Art and selling out. This is a great practical guide with plenty to teach the experienced writer as well as the newbie.
Nancy
Feb 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A valuable aid to anyone who wants to write indie novels for profit, Write to Market is a quick but useful read. Chris Fox clearly lays out how to plan to write a novel that will find its niche, one which readers will snap up. Fox doesn't meander or pontificate, getting tips and information across in concise, to-the-point chapters, and the exercises he has at the end of each are actually useful (which is refreshing, compared to a lot of writing books).

I highly recommend this one to anyone who w
Parker Avrile
Aug 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
I don't know how I can rate a "how to" book when I've only just read it. It certainly sounds like it makes sense, and it's worth trying, but obviously I haven't had a chance to do the research or exercises he suggests. I went with a five star because it's clear and convincing, and I'm going to check out this information further to see if it works for me. It's a fast read so if anyone is wondering whether or not to read it, why wonder? Just go ahead and read it.
Jeff Willis
Feb 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Before I read this book, I never really considered the idea of writing to market. I've always been a big advocate for writing marketable material, but Chris really breaks down the process of analyzing sales data and finding underserved niches to capitalize on. Even if you're not the kind of person who is interested in catering your writing to the market, this is still a worthwhile read for anyone who wants a better understanding of how the Amazon marketplace operates.
D.L. Pitchford
Considering this book is generally heralded as one of THE books to read for indie authors, I had pretty high expectations. Those expectations were not met. All the information within these short pages was stuff I already found through Facebook groups and discussions with other authors. It's nice to have everything put in one place, I guess.
David Shank
Feb 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: other writers
A well-done and actionable guide to writing books that sell. As usual, it's written in Chris Fox's familiar and friendly voice, which makes it easy to read and engaging. Perhaps not quite as motivational as the previous two books in this series, but certainly worth a read.
Lucas Carlson
Feb 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Required reading for anyone serious about a writing career

This is the kind of advice I wish I had been given years ago by someone when I first started writing. Do yourself a favor and don't be like me, read this now and let the important lessons sink in.
Vania Rheault
Feb 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was an amazing book. He tells you how to find what readers in *your genre* want to read. It's fabulous advice and I will be sure to give it a try!
Jeff Adams
Feb 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Interesting insights on the concept of writing to market as well as how to run the analysis to figure out the market.
Nancy Glynn
Jul 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: writing
Again, another must have for writers from Chris Fox!
  • Gotta Read It! - Five Simple Steps to a Fiction Pitch That Sells
  • Write. Publish. Repeat. (The No-Luck-Required Guide to Self-Publishing Success)
  • Let's Get Visible: How To Get Noticed And Sell More Books (Let's Get Digital, #2)
  • Reader Magnets: Build Your Author Platform and Sell more Books on Kindle (Book Marketing for Authors 1)
  • The Craft of Writing Science Fiction That Sells
  • 500 Ways to Write Harder
  • Million Dollar Outlines
  • How To Market A Book
  • Indie Author Survival Guide
  • Write Better, Faster: How To Triple Your Writing Speed and Write More Every Day
  • Creating Characters: How to Build Story People
  • Spellbinding Sentences: A Writer's Guide to Achieving Excellence and Captivating Readers
  • Fiction Unboxed
  • 1,411 QI Facts To Knock You Sideways
  • How to Write a Novella in 24 Hours: And other questionable & possibly insane advice on creativity for writers
  • Writing 21st Century Fiction: High Impact Techniques for Exceptional Storytelling
By day I am an iPhone developer architecting the app used to scope Stephen Colbert’s ear. By night I am Batman. Ok maybe not. One can dream though, right?

I’ve been writing since I was six years old and started inflicting my work on others at age 18. By age 24 people stopped running away when I approached them with a new story and shortly thereafter I published my first one in the Rifter.

Wait you’r

Write Faster, Write Smarter (7 books)
  • 5,000 Words Per Hour: Write Faster, Write Smarter
  • Lifelong Writing Habit: The Secret to Writing Every Day
  • Launch to Market: Easy Marketing For Authors (Write Faster, Write Smarter, #4)
  • Six Figure Author: Using Data to Sell Books (Write Faster, Write Smarter Book 5)
  • Relaunch Your Novel: Breathe Life Into Your Backlist (Write Faster, Write Smarter Book 6)
  • Plot Gardening: Write Faster, Write Smarter

$12.99 $3.99
    $15.99 $2.99
  • By Myself and Then Some
    $11.74 $1.99
  • The Fifth Agreement: A Practical Guide to Self-Mastery (A Toltec Wisdom Book)
    $9.99 $2.49
  • Wish You Happy Forever: What China's Orphans Taught Me About Moving Mountains
    $14.74 $1.99
  • The Return: Fathers, Sons and the Land in Between
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Prize: Who's in Charge of America's Schools?
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Founding Mothers
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Through a Window: My Thirty Years with the Chimpanzees of Gombe
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Undeniable: Evolution and the Science of Creation (Kindle Edition)
  • Around My French Table: More Than 300 Recipes from My Home to Yours
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Ida: A Sword Among Lions
    $8.24 $2.99
  • A Natural History of the Senses (Vintage)
  • Unsinkable: A Memoir
    $9.24 $1.99
  • The Big House: A Century in the Life of an American Summer Home
  • The Other Wes Moore: One Name, Two Fates
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Coaching Habit: Say Less, Ask More & Change the Way You Lead Forever
    $7.95 $2.49
“Every story is ultimately about characters, and how they are affected by their adventure.” 0 likes
“If you want to successfully write to market, you need the right tropes, and you need to employ them like a master. Write great characters that match your genre, and your readers will follow you for life.” 0 likes