Start by marking “The Shining Ones (The Eternal Dungeon)” as Want to Read:
The Shining Ones (The Eternal Dungeon)

The Shining Ones (The Eternal Dungeon)

"He was skilled by now at making innocuous remarks in the presence of the Shining Ones. Nobody had even guessed that he knew what they were."

The Eternal Dungeon is filled with prisoners who shine like the sun.

No one knows this except Barrett Boyd, a guard notorious for having survived a disciplinary punishment that should have killed him. He is also notorious for his r
Published January 17th 2016 by Love in Dark Settings Press

To ask other readers questions about The Shining Ones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shining Ones

Start your review of The Shining Ones (The Eternal Dungeon)
Dusk Peterson
[Excerpt:]

During the first few weeks after the 101 strokes, his only awareness had been of pain and anger. He knew dimly that the anger was not merely for his own sake. Others here had suffered needlessly. Others here needed to be protected. His own pain had come from an attempt to protect. No one here was to be trusted, except those he had sought to protect.

His first sight of a prisoner after he rose from his sickbed nearly blinded him. Leaving his male nurse nodding off to sleep, he had depart
C.E. Case
Apr 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: inked
The Shining Ones
Dusk Peterson

Everything Dusk Peterson writes is ridiculously deep, rich, and satisfying. The Shining Ones is no exception. It was strikingly beautiful. The prose lingers and swirls. I’ve read many of the Life Prison / Eternal Dungeon stories and this one is my favorite.

The criticisms are fair. Dusk writes beginnings, sometimes middles, but never endings. There’s no sex in this. It’s short. Past the end of this short story are tantalizing previews of other stories—also beginnings
Carly
Jan 24, 2016 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: no one
The description says that this is a stand-alone short story but it didn't work for me at all. I'm a fan of the series and am familiar with the setting but there was no introduction so even I, with my prior reading experience, was confused as to what was going on. I felt like I'd been dropped into the middle of a story and only given 3 chapters to read.

Despite the issues in the beginning I started to get engaged in the characters... then the story stopped. There simply wasn't an ending. I felt ch
Paulo
added it
Mar 23, 2016
Lisa
is currently reading it
Apr 23, 2018
Honored in the Rainbow Awards, Dusk Peterson writes historical speculative fiction with diverse characters: historical fantasy, alternate history, and retrofuture science fiction. Friendship, romantic friendship, and romance often occur in the stories. Visit duskpeterson.com for e-books and free fiction.

A resident of Maryland, Mx. Peterson lives with an apprentice and several thousand books.

News & Interviews