Start by marking “Wrong Side of Hell (The DeathSpeaker Codex #1)” as Want to Read:
Wrong Side of Hell (The DeathSpeaker Codex #1)

Wrong Side of Hell

(The DeathSpeaker Codex #1)

"The dead never bothered me. That honor was reserved for the living."

Hauling dead people around Manhattan is all in a day's work for body mover Gideon Black. He lives in his van, talks to corpses, and occasionally helps the police solve murders. His life may not be normal, but it's simple enough.

Until the corpses start talking back.

When Gideon accidentally rescues a
Published January 23rd 2016 by Sonya Bateman

To ask other readers questions about Wrong Side of Hell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wrong Side of Hell

Start your review of Wrong Side of Hell (The DeathSpeaker Codex #1)
Ami
Feb 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Few years ago, I read Sonya Bateman's "Gavyn Donatti" urban fantasy series (Master of None and Master and Apprentice) and I really enjoyed it. So I was bummed when I discovered that the series didn't continue -- probably the publisher decided that it wasn't selling enough? Then I found out that she released a NEW one (totally by coincidence! I saw the cover at Lou Harper's Gallery) and I was so excited! It wasn't a continuation to Donatti, but I didn't care. It is a NEW book (and hopefully new ...more
Robin (Bridge Four)
This review was originally posted on Books of My Heart

Review copy was received from Publisher. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

Wrong Side of Hell is your standard UF tale. It has the MC who didn’t realize how special they were, with a mysterious past. Something nasty trying to kill/capture them and then the potential love interest(s) off to the side. The biggest difference here is the cast of characters include Fae and the MC can commune with the dead.

MsMiz (Tina)
Feb 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
I liked this UF version of paranormals and trying to live among humans. I really look forward to reading the in the series.
Devann
This was an okay read and I enjoyed it well enough, but I read a lot of urban fantasy and overall it was just incredibly standard. Like I could probably look through my TBR and find 50 books that are almost exactly like this with only minor plot / characterization changes. And when you have an incredibly formulaic urban-fantasy-chosen-one-with-traumatic-family-past-must-save-the-world plotline you really have to wow me with the characters. Unfortunately while all the characters were likable ...more
Xing
Jan 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
I really wanted to like this.

My first problem with the book was Gideon. Gideon was an alright fellow, but he exhibited too much of this Chosen One mentality where the stereotype seemed to define him more than anything else. He has this great power, but no explanation for why. He also has a tragic past being hunted by a crazy family, but doesn't exhibit any kind of mental trauma. Sure, he tells us it sucked, but this is a clear example of "telling, not showing" that left me feeling very detached
Ln Winchester
Mar 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Excellent story, and I rarely say that.

I also rarely give five stars. I'm so pleased I found this author and the DeathSpeaker Codex. I'm am avid reader and authors like Patricia Briggs, Seanon McGuire and Kim Harrison, among others, have set the bar pretty high for urban fantasy. I've read more than my share of UF/PR books that failed to hit the mark, sometimes painfully so.

I'm pleased to say The DeathSpeaker book 1 had everything I like and nothing I didn't like. Budding romance that does NOT
chucklesthescot
I had previously read the author's djinn books so I was interested in seeing what she was going to do with the Fae as they are not my favourite magical creature. I was not disappointed!

The book starts with a prologue, featuring a Fae who is trying to find his dead father's human lover before she falls victim to their enemies but he finds her dead. He is able to save her child, his half brother and vows to put him with a human family to keep him safe from the hunters. Intriguing start, and the
Koeur
Aug 05, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

Publisher: Sonya Bateman

Publishing Date: January 2016

ISBN: 9781523672127

Genre: Fantasy

Rating: 2.9/5

Publishers Description: Hauling dead people around Manhattan is all in a day’s work for body mover Gideon Black. He lives in his van, talks to corpses, and occasionally helps the police solve murders. His life may not be normal, but it’s simple enough.

Review: Boy, am I late to the party on this one. Scads of reviews out there already, that are mostly
Fangs for the Fantasy
Gideon, transporter of corpses across New York City, does not lead a conventional life and he certainly hasn’t has a conventional upbringing

But even he wasn’t prepared for the corpses to talk back, a werewolf stalking central park and finding a whole world of Fae, magic and more

And a team of hunters dedicated to wiping them all out – and ready to use him to do it.

This book has a lot of wonderful elements I always love.

We have a very wide world of various supernatural creatures – with lots of
Naiya
Jul 29, 2016 rated it liked it
The book starts strong. Our tough-as-nails hero is Gideon Black. He moves bodies for the city, lives off the grid, and moonlights as a kind of unofficial consultant for his detective friend. Gideon’s weird, but it’s a human kind of weird. Until he tries to investigate a series of gruesome murders and comes face-to-face with a werewolf. Until he starts hearing dead people and is attacked by a secret cult of monster hunters.

Gideon’s sleuthing and the murder mystery was wonderfully interspaced with
Susan Angela Wallace
Wrong side of he'll by Sonya Batsman.
The dead never bothered me. That honor was reserved for the living."
Until the corpses start talking back.
When Gideon accidentally rescues a werewolf in Central Park, he's drawn into the secret world of the Others. Fae, were-shifters,
Nervous Nellie Justice
This is an urban fantasy. No cliffhanger, no sex, lots of violence but nothing overly descriptive. It’s part of a series and there isn’t exactly a HEA, but everybody lives so that’s a plus.

This story was pretty straight forward. It wasn’t hard to figure out the players and the plot was simple enough. The whole story was an adventure – kind of a death at every turn kind of adventure. This world focused on the OtherWorld. Gideon is the main character and though he is clueless to begin with, it was
Meigan
Jul 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Review to come.

*eARC received via NetGalley in exchange for my honest opinion.
Sophia
Audiobook review

I was in the mood to start a new to me urban fantasy series when my eye was caught by this one's series title. Deathspeaker, eh? Why not! And, there are fae and he's a body transporter in NYC who doesn't know he's half-fae or that there is a supernatural world out there.

So, I dove enthusiastically into Gideon's life that starts out as a day in the life of a body transporter. Gideon works with a certain old-style, true blue detective with NYPD now and then who trusts in Gideon's
Brock Deskins
Dec 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I don't give many 5 star reviews, and I was a little hesitant doing so with this one, but I decided to round up because it's a well-written, thoroughly enjoyable book from beginning to end. The narrative and dialogue are well-written without a wasted, superfluous word. This is not a roller coaster story with its slow up and crazy, exciting downs. It's more like a rocket car the blasts off and pushes you back in your seat for the entire ride. Editing is very good. I caught a missing opening ...more
Coco.V
Jun 11, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: freebie
FREE on Amazon today (6/11/2019)! ...more
Dan Absalonson
Feb 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was a really fun book. A man who makes a living transporting dead bodies, who sometimes seem to talk to him, discovers there is a whole other world filled with dark magical creatures. He also discovers that he is part of their world as much as he'd like to remain just a lonely body mover who lives in his van. This book was an amazing page turner. I was hooked from page one and was not disappointed until I finished the last chapter. Oh man was this book awesome.

I loved the main character.
Marsha
Aug 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
It's always great when you take a chance on a book and a new author only to find yourself pleasantly surprised. That is the case with "Wrong Side of Hell." The concept of the storyline was unique and I really enjoyed the main character, Gideon.

Gideon Black was raised by the Valentines, a family of sadistic rednecks until one day he walked away. Now, he lives off the grid, working as a body carrier for the morgue, living out of his van and paying cash for everything.

After picking up two bodies
Kate Wendley
May 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Well paced, fun read.

Gideon Black is reminiscent of the Harry Dresden books, but without a lot of the angst and over description of gore. It was really fun to ride along as Gideon got to know more about who he really is and start to play around with powers he never knew he had. The secondary characters were also fun to get to know as they formed a loose sort of team of frenemies. Other reviewers mentioned those characters not being fully fleshed out, but I thought we got to know them just enough
Crittermom
Aug 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Urban Fantasy is a bit like fast food. While it isn’t haute cuisine, it is fast, and if well done can be quite tasty. Sonya Bateman isn’t the next Neil Gaiman, but she is a good storyteller, able to put a slightly different twist on the human vs other scenario.

One nice difference is that she uses a male lead. Gideon has an amiable nature and an easy charm that keeps him from coming across too powerful. He is also clever, but pleasantly lacking ego. Also unlike the female leads in many urban
Mike
Dec 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: well-edited
The market seems to be flooded with cookie-cutter books in which an ordinary young woman discovers that the supernatural is real, and she's a key part of it, whereupon drama ensues. I don't bother with them, since there's nothing to make any of them stand out from the vast pack of other books with the exact same premise - a premise that has limited appeal to me.

Sometimes, though, genderflipping a trope is enough to make it different, so I took a chance on this book, and was glad I did. It's a
The Cats’ Mother
This was an amazon freebie, the start of another urban fantasy series - a genre I enjoy when the focus is on action rather than romance. This had the same plot as virtually every other fantasy: lonely young person with a painful childhood discovers they have magical powers and a family they knew nothing about, and are destined for a key role in the fight against evil. So far so Harry Potter/Star Wars/every other YA adventure of the last 20 years. This does have a likeable hero in Gideon, who ...more
Margaret Hasemann
Dec 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
A curious thing happened on the way to the morgue

For a man who obviously had an abusive childhood which he managed to escape and survive, Gideon Black was leading a quiet if not entirely normal live, doing a job few are suited for. But all that changed the night he hauled a body to the morgue and the body talked to him, albeit in his mind. From that point on any semblance to normal flies right out the window.
What takes place in what I assume is a time period of six days ( maybe less) turns his
Reddkatz
Jan 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
I thought it was OK for an urban fantasy novel. My biggest problem was the characters themselves. They were all quite flat with virtually no personality, especially Gideon. How did he take his coffee, what kind of mannerisms does he have? I have no idea. At times I didn't even know he was a person because the dialogue he gave was so generic it could have been a rock that was speaking. I may read the rest of the series, maybe the characters will develop more. But if they are still one ...more
Riotkittin
Feb 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Pretty good book but lacks a bit of worldbuilding. There's holes in the story and things are going a bit too well and I also have a bit timeline questions. Other than that it was a great read. Will continue reading the next book and see if it gets better.
Emma James
Nov 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
***4 STARS***

A great start to this series with a lot of colorful characters and my first Sonya Bateman read.
Katelyn (Lost as Alice, Mad as the Hatter)
Body movers are basically taxi drivers for the dead.
----------------
You are the DeathSpeaker. You are the key.

Gideon is a body mover. He takes care or New York City's dead...makes sure they get where they need to go. But an encounter with the city's latest serial killer leaves him with a new the-dead-talk type talent and a lot of questions. Unfortunately, he, and his unwanted talent, were exactly what the bads were looking for.

Milus Dei [Latin, “Soldiers of God”]: Roman in origin and
EndNotesBookBlog
Jan 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read a lot of books that are the first in a series, and Wrong Side of Hell by Sonya Bateman is the next addition to that particular section on my bookshelves. When I read the first book in a series, I’m looking for the author to satisfy a few specific requirements and convince me that continuing to read the series is going to be worth an investment of my time and my book budget (this is always an important factor for me, because I’m a woman who does have a book budget and though I love my ...more
Sumayyah
Jul 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Family Reunions and Career Changes

Gideon Black is a van-dwelling professional corpse mover, more or less on the run from his abusive family. When Gideon is called to transport a series of violent murder victims, he begins to wonder what is happening in his adopted city - especially when one of the dude guys knows his name. Dragged into a different world, Gideon learns the secret of his birth and blood, and tried to warm up to his role as the DeathSpeaker and all it entails.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Cunning Devil (Lost Falls #1)
  • Midnight Blood (Harbinger P.I. #6)
  • Pay Dirt (Lost Falls #2)
  • Dark Magic (Harbinger P.I., #3)
  • Dark Harvest (Darkling Mage, #2)
  • Buried Memory  (Harbinger P.I. #2)
  • Dead Ground (Harbinger P.I., #4)
  • Shadow Land (Harbinger P.I., #5)
  • Twilight Heart (Harbinger P.I., #7)
  • Tooth and Nail (Lost Falls #3)
  • Faerie Storm (Harbinger P.I. Book 8)
  • Return of the High Fae (Vegas Fae, #1)
  • Of Gods and Fae (Vegas Fae, #2)
  • Lost Soul (Harbinger P.I., #1)
  • Twist of Fae (Vegas Fae, #3)
  • Not Just Another Fae (Vegas Fae, #4)
  • Shadowstrut-A Night Warden Novel
  • Power Game (Prof Croft Book 6)

The DeathSpeaker Codex (9 books)
  • Fields of Blood (The Deathspeaker Codex #2)
  • Realm of Mirrors (The DeathSpeaker Codex, #3)
  • Return of the Hunters (The DeathSpeaker Codex, #4)
  • City of Secrets (The DeathSpeaker Codex, #5)
  • Prison of Horrors (The DeathSpeaker Codex, #6)
  • The Scrolls of Gideon (The DeathSpeaker Codex, #7)
  • Hand of the God (The DeathSpeaker Codex, #8)
  • Dark of the Moon (The DeathSpeaker Codex, #9)
“Wolves kill for food. We’re the only animals with murder in our vocabulary.” 0 likes