Start by marking “Moving Forward: Taking the Lead in Your Life” as Want to Read:
Moving Forward: Taking the Lead in Your Life

Moving Forward: Taking the Lead in Your Life

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  273 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Self-help expert Dave Pelzer teaches readers how to let go of the past, and use negative experiences to make them stronger when tackling the future.

"Learning from our prior experiences, we can, and should, aspire to fulfill our dreams, making life better not only for ourselves but for others around us during the course of our life's journey," Dave writes in the introducti
Published June 24th 2008 by Center Street (first published June 17th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Moving Forward, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Moving Forward

K.D. Absolutely
Nov 25, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who need inspiration to live
Shelves: self-development
I picked up this book in time for the forthcoming New Year. I wanted to be inspired. Probably to get a better perspective on how I live my life. Probably to help me improve on my weaknesses. Probably to help me write my New Year's Resolutions.

I did not get anything really. It was not a totally a bad read though. I only got reminded on somethings that I already knew from previous books and seminars that I attended in my previous companies. I think I am either too old for self-help books on behavi
Yvonne
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was lucky enough to meet Dave Pelzer and have an autographed copy of this book. For those of you who are unfamiliar with Dave's story, stop right now and go read his first book, "A Child Called 'IT'" Dave suffered extreme physical, mental and emotional abuse as a very young child. This specific book, is an inspirational book meant to help the reader shake off any victim mentality and be able to take charge of their lives. It is simply written and flows smoothly.
Kathy
Feb 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
I mistakenly thought this was an additional book about his own life, but it's actually a self-help book (his first is called Help Yourself, I think). I would not have chosen to read it as I haven't read anything like that in decades. I almost stopped reading it and started something else, but then I realized the fortitude I wished to see in Pelzer in his first three books had finally arrived at the party.

For individuals who are resilient and self-reliant, there won't be much of anything new in t
Reynaldo
Apr 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Reading books by Dave Pelzer really teaches me something. Every time i finish reading a book by this author i learn something new and he is unique from his writing and by his ideas. He talks more about life, setting goals, going from bad and much more. Due to his past, which was bad and abusive, he has learned to turn from something negative into something positive.This is very important because not many people knows how to do this and doesn't happen overnight. It would take probably year, decad ...more
Ria
Jul 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An inspirational book that gives the reader motivational tools to try and move forward from distressing and tough periods of their lives.
Pelzer speaks from the heart and at times though a little chastising and moralistic I guess he can speak from a standpoint that he knows where he is coming from after reading his "life story" trilogy.
Overall a thoroughly good person, Pelzer uses his tough life to inspire others to delve deep into themselves to become the best person they can be in spite of thei
Petra
May 14, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to read this book because I've already read two of Dave's books: A child called it and The lost boy, which I found shocking but inspirational. I was curious what this strong person had to say in Moving forward. I found descriptions of his real life experiences really good (I liked them) and from them anybody can learn and get a strength for their own life (if they are weak). Dave made some really good points in this book which can help people who are stuck in the past, especially those ...more
Tab
Jul 11, 2008 rated it really liked it
I picked this book up at a store in the Philadelphia airport yesterday. It's not my normal read, far from it. However, there was nothing close to interesting and this book was the right length for me to complete within my 5 hour trip back to Seattle.

Surprisingly good! If this was my genre of choice I would have given it 5 stars, but I have some difficulty immersing myself into self help/awareness books. But many of his comments still managed to find a home within me and had me questioning some o
Claudette
Sep 30, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: self-help
(Audiobook) I thought this book was a bit disjointed. The author speaks throughout this book about turning bad into good. How can you believe anything is good in life from such an abusive childhood is beyond my understanding. Maybe this is a personality trait that is deep rooted into the author's DNA of being an optimist. Anyhow kudos to the author for what he has made of himself today.
Brianna Soloski
Mar 09, 2011 rated it it was ok
I've read Dave Pelzer's other books previously and enjoyed them. I felt like Moving Forward was kind of a lot of bunk. Lots of people can choose to move forward, but still may not succeed at what they want to do. Others can move forward and get the world handed to them. I know people who fall into both categories, and the happier people are the ones who don't have to work for anything.
Nancy
Oct 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I am a big fan of Dave. Have read al of his books and this is his most recent one. For those who have suffered from abuse (any type and any severity), this book is inspiring of telling us like it is and let's us know...the steps to move forward and we can.
Salas
Jan 22, 2009 marked it as to-read
Shelves: non-fiction
I had the opportunity to hear him speak and meet him personally and he blew me away. What an amazing story and a strong spirit. He was so encouraging when I spoke to him. All about courage and moving on.
Mary
Apr 23, 2009 rated it it was ok
I really learned from his other books, and this one was good for its intended audience. I just don't think I am the intended audience. If I know someone who is really stuck, wallowing in the past, this would be a good recommendation.
SouthWestZippy
Jan 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding book. Very quick read but one you will want to read again and again to let it all soak in. Has a tough love feel to it very blunt at times and eye opening. LOVE this book. If you are a fan of Dave Pelzer then is a MUST read.
Rebecca
Jul 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
have not read yet but good like his other book to
Lorna
Jun 18, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-help
When Dave Pelzer speaks, I tend to listen because of everything that he had to endure in his life. I would have liked it better though if he hadn't at times used such strong language.
Kim
Nov 09, 2010 rated it liked it
Tabbi
Oct 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
its very helpfull dave is such a wonderful writer i really enjoyed reading his books all of them.
Machelle
Oct 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I just finished this! He pulls no punches and I loved the directness, real-ness, of this book.
Vickey 0590 clark
This is a great book.
Amelia
May 09, 2013 rated it liked it
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
David Miller
Dec 17, 2014 rated it did not like it
This was just an awful book. I think I would punch Dave in the face if I ever met him in person.
Dave
Sep 19, 2008 marked it as to-read
I had the distinct pleasure of hearing Dave Pelzer speak, and I now have a signed copy of this book. Dave's is an amazing story of tragedy become triumph. What a wonderful man!
Lovette Cooper
May 14, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Ten Days to Self-Esteem
  • A Teenager's Journey
  • The Self-Esteem Companion: Simple Exercises to Help You Challenge Your Inner Critic and Celebrate Your Personal Strengths
  • To Live Until We Say Good Bye
  • Quit Digging Your Grave with a Knife and Fork: A 12-Stop Program to End Bad Habits and Begin a Healthy Lifestyle
  • After Silence: Rape & My Journey Back
  • The Gift of Adult ADD: How to Transform Your Challenges and Build on Your Strengths
  • Don't Let Your Emotions Run Your Life: How Dialectical Behavior Therapy Can Put You in Control
  • Stick Up for Yourself!: Every Kid's Guide to Personal Power and Positive Self-Esteem
  • The Secret to True Happiness: Enjoy Today, Embrace Tomorrow
  • Bright Not Broken: Gifted Kids, ADHD, and Autism
  • Help for Women Under Stress: Preserving Your Sanity
  • Lifetimes: A Beautiful Way to Explain Life and Death to Children
  • Your Magnetic Mind
  • A Gentle Path Through the Twelve Steps: The Classic Guide for All People in the Process of Recovery
  • The Self-Esteem Workbook
  • Taking Charge of Adult ADHD
  • Being with Dying: Cultivating Compassion and Fearlessness in the Presence of Death
An author best known for his 1995 memoir of childhood abuse, A Child Called It.

At the age of 12, Dave was removed from an abusive home and placed in a series of foster homes. In 1979, he joined the Air Force and later became an author of memoirs and self-improvement books.

A CHILD CALLED "IT" IS COMING TO THE BIG SCREEN.

August 2017 - We are very excited to announce that writer/producer David Gol
More about Dave Pelzer...