Start by marking “Extraordinary People (The Enzo Files, #1)” as Want to Read:
Extraordinary People (The Enzo Files, #1)

Extraordinary People

(The Enzo Files #1)

3.66  ·  Rating details ·  4,038 Ratings  ·  489 Reviews
Half-Scottish, half-Italian Enzo MacLeod used to be one of the top forensics experts in Scotland, and now he lives in Toulouse, working as a university professor. Divorced in Scotland and widowed in France, he has an estranged Scottish daughter and a French daughter he has raised by himself.

As if his life isn't complicated enough, he soon finds himself unexpectedly in the
Kindle Edition
Published May 10th 2016 by Quercus (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Extraordinary People, please sign up.
Linda Earlier editions of the book was published as Dry Bones. The Audible edition is still under the old title.

Phrynne
Apr 24, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4000-books
I kept having the odd feeling with this book that it was not the first in a series and that I had missed out on some important character development in a previous book. However this was not the case and it is indeed the first in a series. The main character, Enzo, has already enjoyed an amazing life with two daughters by different mothers, a divorced wife, a dead mistress and a drastic career change resulting in moving to another country. All this before our book even starts.
Anyway the story mov
Gary
Dec 23, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book in 'The Enzo Files' by Peter May. I enjoy reading Peter May's work and decided to start this series which are the only books I haven't read by him. I love the way he writes and he has this way where he actually writes excellent novels but at the same time manages to teach you things. I had previously read his series based in China where I learnt so much about the culture as well as enjoying the series. This time the series is based in France so I expect more of the same. I ...more
Trucido
Jul 21, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Competently written, but full of the improbable leaps of logic that bedevil a lot of wilder detective fiction. The premise is completely mad and entirely too much of the book is spent on computer searches and long descriptions of shapely graduate students clicking things whilst oversized Scotsmen galumph about discovering precisely the right clues. It sort of worked when Sherlock Holmes could condemn a man to death on the basis of his trouser cuffs and then force a confession by sheer weight of ...more
Kylie H
Aug 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
This is the first book I have read by Peter May and I really enjoyed it. Enzo McLeod is a Scot of Italian descent living in France. He is by no means perfect and that makes him more endearing. If you love a good mystery with clues and puzzles and loads of adventure then grab it and read it! As well as a being a good mystery it is also full of interesting facts such as the catacombs, champagne …...
A readers feast!
Rose
Oct 18, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have enjoyed reading all of the Peter May books that I have read so far; in particular The Lewis triology series. This was the first book in The Enzo Files. It would be about a 3 1/2 star rating for me.
Quite a different style from what I have previously read of his, and I would agree with some of the other comments that I have read stating that it had a bit of a Divinci style to. I will probably read the next in the series.
Rob
Aug 19, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scottish-authors
Number one in the Enzo McLeod Series.
This is a meticulously crafted whodunit.
Being so well crafted there is no headlong rush into the unknown. The pace is necessarily slow giving the reader time to absorb the many clues. Clues that will take Enzo and friends the length and breadth of France.

Enzo is no Saint; he abandoned his wife and a daughter in Scotland to follow the love of his life to France. His new partner died in child birth leaving Enzo with another daughter. Enzo, with his French daug
Jenny
May 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, mystery, thriller
Extraordinary People is book 1 of the Enzo Files series by Peter May. Professor Enzo Macleod made a bet to find the killer of Jacques Gaillard using his investigative knowledge and forensic science techniques. With the help of Roger Raffin and one of his young students started to investigate. However, Professor Enzo Macleod did not realise how this case will change his life and his family. The readers of Extraordinary People will continue to follow the twist and turns in Professor Enzo Macleod i ...more
Siobhan
Jun 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Peter May’s Lewis Trilogy was one of my first crime loves and is still one of my favourite crime series. It goes without saying, therefore, that I’ll gladly read anything he writes.

The Enzo Files have been sitting on my to-read list for a very long time. My to-read list is somewhat out of hand meaning some things sit on the list for longer than they really should. At long last, however, I’m working through the Enzo Files. Unfortunately it appears as though I’m working on a ‘read a Peter May book
Kylie D
I had fun with this one, racing around France solving the clues as to how Jacques Gaillard disappeared. Well worth the read.
Alex
Sep 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After reading the Lewis Trilogy I decide to try one of Peter May's other novels. I thoroughly enjoyed this book although it is quite different from the Lewis books. There is none of the flashbacks that made up a good part of the Lewis books but there was still the rich descriptions of the country and history that seems to be Peter May's trademark. This one is set in France and follows the investigation of a cold case by Enzo McLeod a forensic scientist who is teaching biology at a French univers ...more
Ingrid
Oct 03, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A detective story. It was OK to read, but there's definitely room for improvement. I've had it with dumb cops putting clever investigators behind bars.
AngryGreyCat
Jul 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read the entire Lewis Trilogy by Peter May and loved it, but I was hesitant to start this series because I had heard it was a completely different style to the Lewis Trilogy. Picked it up from the library and once I started it, I could not put it down. Yes, it is completely different from the Lewis Trilogy, no flash backs, no dark intense moodiness. However, it is excellent in its own way. The mystery revolves around a bet. Enzo, our sleuth, an ex-pat Scotsman living and teaching in France, ha ...more
Lino's Version
May 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Extraordinary People
Peter May
2016
This is the first in May’s The Enzo Files – it was a welcome read to my list. I had read 3 of the others books (5 so far in all), so it did some useful backfilling of character development.
The stories also work as standalone novels – so dig in wherever you can.
Plenty of France in these books – champagne, geography, wine, history, myths and political intrigue…oh, and did I mention food & wine!
I did find the climax a little hard to follow.
And who tried to elim
Andy
Sep 26, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
A new teccy series for me, set on the continent & so a chance to explore some Parisian culture as well, diversifying into diffo cultures being a favoured thing to my mind when reading.

French cop series for me revolve around TV Shows Spiral & Braquo which make the 70’s Sweeney series look tame...... very naive of me to think that a book set in Paris by a Brit would have similar themes running through it....... certainly no parallels here & I found it a tad middle of the road & eas
Sheriene
Jan 28, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to like this book, but there were a few things that counted agaisnt it. I didnt really care about Enzo or the supporting characters. The place names and what felt like long winded descriptions of getting to a location was abit annoying. It felt like the author wanted to put in everything he knew about street names in Paris, rather than being helpful in orientating you in the city. The whole puzzle and body parts thing was a bit far fetched for my liking and I didnt find the final explan ...more
Karen
Nov 03, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Totally agree with another reviewers who says that this book is just too full of impossibly ridiculous clues and long drawn out scenes involving google searches.
It's a shame because I've really enjoyed anything else I've read by this author, but I certainly won't be continuing with the Enzo files.
Bronislava Sencakova
Audiokniha ako stvorená k letnej viróze - na 7,5 hodiny* som skoro zabudla na svoje sekréty a myslela na secrets obklopujúce Jacquesa Gaillarda. Svižné ľahké čítanie, aj keď ide o vraždu. Traja pátrači pre dospelých v danbrownovskom habite. Manuál účinného googlenia - naozaj sa tu googlia všetky indície.

Príbeh ma pretiahol do ďalšej kapitoly aj napriek chýbajúcemu presahu a môjmu zdvihnutému obočiu. Trochu som zneistela, keď sa spomenuli templári, ale bola to len jedna z mnohých stôp vyňatá z b
Alan Cotterell
Sep 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2018
I had previously read the Lewis Trilogy, and to be honest, not really got into them. But I thought this series had more potential, so gave it a go. I was not disappointed.

I read book 3 first just because it was the first one I found. Really enjoyed that so am now working through the series from the start. Enzo McLeod as the main character, a half Italian , half Scottish former forensics expert living in France, gives a lot of scope for character development.
Interesting story of a cold case inves
Tony
May 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There's lots wrong with this book. Hackneyed phrases, ridiculous (and totally pointless) sex scenes, massive leaps of faith which (all but once) turn out to be true, too many French place names (leaving aside my ignorance of any language but English)...

But

There's lots right with it too. Characters are relatively well developed, story (and again, leaving the massive leaps of faith aside) is rather good and based on an interesting idea...

Will I read the next in the series? More than likely.

So it g
Kulaprabha Marlene
May's Lewis Trilogy books are excellent. Unfortunately this isn't .... An unlikely set of symbolic clues appearing at intervals to be understood with the help of Google. The Da Vinci code applied to the machinations of the French civil service. Why the murderers ever bothered committing the murder was never clear to me.
Venla
Apr 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, thrillers
Peter May's Extraordinary People starts the Enzo Files series. In the book, the reader gets a chance to follow a Scottish-Italian university professor Enzo Macleod around. The professor has left his detective career behind and has moved to Paris. He makes a bold bet with some of his friends. As a consequence, Enzo must solve French police's unsolved murder cases. He starts the job with the murder of Jacques Gaillard who was once a popular figure among universities and politics as well.

The invest
Paula
Jan 15, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ridiculously unlikely.
Ian
Mar 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This intelligent crime thriller will appeal to Francophiles. I found it different, stimulating and evocative of French holidays (not that I explored the tunnels under Paris!). There was one absurd coincidence but it had some good twists. The writing was attractive.
Andrew
Mar 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Stars
This is the first book in The Enzo Files Series by Peter May, one of the earlier series by one of my favourite authors after having read the superb Lewis Trilogy. Interestingly I have just noticed he is due to publish a sixth and final book in this series next year after a gap of six years. This has a very different feel to his more recent work, and the central character is a Scottish Biologist teaching in France, having previously been in forensics when he was based in Scotland. Within
Brenda
Enzo Macleod was challenged to find answers to the cold case of missing Jacques Gaillard who had disappeared ten years prior. The police had no idea whether he’d just vanished or had been murdered – no clues whatsoever. This was a case that Enzo was determined to crack – and with his field of forensics from when he was in Scotland, he knew he was qualified.

Living in France for almost twenty years, Enzo and his teenage daughter Sophie managed well. But he had another daughter living not too dist
Margaret
If there were more stars available, I think I would rate this 2.75.

It was a diverting story, which I read via audio (Simon Vance narration). I had enjoyed May's The Black House (part of the Lewis Trilogy) and this looked equally good. The premise was interesting: can an old crime be solved using modern technology? But there were a few things that I disliked about this book.

First, the pointless sex scenes. There were just 3, I think, but they were graphic and out of place. The budding romance a
Tina
Sep 24, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The only mediocre Peter May book I’ve ever read. The first of the Enzo books written years ago. Enzo is definitely an interesting character and, despite my star rating, I intend to read other books in the series to see how the story and main character develop. It’s not a bad book. It’s just not up to my Peter May expectations. The fact that Extraordinary People is nowhere near as good as any of the three books in May’s recent Lewis trilogy is proof to me that May has grown exponentially as a wri ...more
Petra Be
Jul 23, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, france, mystery
I got this book because I have been to the catacombs in Paris and thought it was a great place for a crime story. It is a good story, but I think it contains too many descriptions and some bits dragged... but it was still worth reading.
Sorrow (Hanka the bookworm)
Ááá, na té knize je děsně znát, že je prostě "stará". Takhle se thrillery přesně psaly před těma deseti, dvanácti lety... Záhady, hledání vodítek, tři sta tisíc odboček a "zvratů", ze kterých hrdina stejně vyvázne na dalších pěti stranách. Brown jak vyšitý, fakt (na rozdíl od něj se ale May ve své tvorbě výrazně posunul, díky Bohu).
Autora mám stejně ráda, dobře se mi čte jeho rukopis, nicméně byla chyba začít od něj lewiskou trilogií, která je podle všeho opravdu jeho vrcholem. Francie prostě n
Zuzana Schedová
Jul 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Po knihách Petra Maya sa po jeho úspechu u nás s Trilógiou ostrova Lewis, roztrhlo vrece. Je to veľmi plodný autor a má na svojom konte pekné množstvo kníh. Nakladatelství Host sa rozhodlo, že ich sprístupní aj českému čitateľovi. A nie som jediná, ktorá má z tohto rozhodnutia radosť. Petra Maya som si ako autora detektíviek veľmi obľúbila, najmä preto, že okrem skvelého rozprávačského talentu, ktorý je cítiť vo vykresľovaní atmosféry každej knihy, Vám každá kniha dá aj niečo viac. Dozviete sa i ...more
  • All My Enemies (Brock & Kolla, #3)
  • The Crowded Grave (Bruno, Chief of Police #4)
  • The Lying-Down Room
  • River of Shadows
  • Blessed Are Those Who Thirst (Hanne Wilhelmsen #2)
  • The Broken Token (Richard Nottingham, #1)
  • Snapshot (Inspector Challis, #3)
  • Prey on Patmos  (Andreas Kaldis, #3)
  • All Cry Chaos (Henri Poincaré Mystery, #1)
  • Death of a Colonial (Sir John Fielding, #6)
  • Blessed Are the Dead  (Detective Emmanuel Cooper #3)
  • The Long Fall
  • You Will Never Find Me (Charles Boxer #2)
  • The Golden Scales (Makana, #1)
  • The Glass Room (Vera Stanhope, #5)

The Enzo Files (6 books)
  • The Critic (Enzo Files, #2)
  • Blacklight Blue (Enzo Files, #3)
  • Freeze Frame (Enzo Files, #4)
  • Blowback (Enzo Files, #5)
  • Cast Iron (The Enzo Files, #6)
“stuck a pin in her. She was instantly deflated. ‘How do” 0 likes