Start by marking “The Guardians” as Want to Read:
The Guardians

The Guardians

(Gargoyles Den #1)

Sloane Jacobs has been on the edge of crazy for a long time now. That happens when you can read everyone’s aura, not what they show on the outside but what they’re really like. Knowing that sharing her curse would get her a one-way ticket to the loony bin, Sloane lives alone and trusts no one.

That changes when she meets Liam McDougall, a Gray One; the only kind that she ca
Published November 1st 2015 by Witching Hour Publishing, Inc. (first published September 6th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Guardians, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Guardians

Floryie
Jul 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*I received a free copy from the author for an unbiased review*

This one was a fast read on so many levels. I only wish that the book cover was better than this one. It's too bland to fit the story. I have read very few books about Gargoyles and this prompted me to take a look at this story. And I am kind of glad for it. Though it has recognisable elements, the outcome is a bit different, in a good way.

Seeing people based on their auras and knowing their intentions keeps the female protagonist, S
Merissa (Archaeolibrarian)
You just have to love a book about gargoyles! There are few of them about and I do enjoy them. This one is slightly different which makes it all the more enjoyable. Sloane sees colours around people, and also understands what those colours mean. She has learnt not to speak to anyone about this as she fears being put away in an institute.

Through happenings and occurrences, she finds a group of people who not only accept her for who she is, but also recognise and appreciate the talent she has. Ho
Jim Murdoch
May 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A different kind of X-Men story. Heroes emerge from ordinary life and are discovered by the Guardians to be trained and used in missions. The "heroes" may end up in institutions as they struggle with their oddities, not being the norm for normal humans. Lot's of mythical creatures come to life in The Guardians where shape-shifting is the norm. A story of self-discovery, self-acceptance, love and loyalty this book gripped me until the last page. A few questions are left unanswered which hopefully ...more
Cynthia
*I received an e-ARC of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.*

Review also posted on Let’s Say It’s A Blog

Wow!
This book was definitely beyond my expectation! I read the blurb feeling intrigued by the character’s ability to see color and read mood of everyone. What I didn’t expect was this book would contain such complex story with a lot of strange creatures involved. The Guardians filled with so many mysteries and secrets that were slowly unraveled along the way. I enjoyed
Amy
Jun 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. Gargoyles that are part human how awesome is that! Sloane is a human that thinks she is crazy, she can see auras of people. With the help of Liam a Guardian/human/gargoyle she is realizing there is a whole different world that what she knows and she just might not be crazy at all. I found the plot intriguing and it kept me flipping my Kindle pages. I really hope there is another book in the series as it did end with a cliff hanger.
Alison
Jun 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
An interesting young-adult novel about a young woman who finds out that she's not crazy when she sees peoples' auras, but that she has rare powers. These powers are useful to a group called Guardians who help protect the world from human and non-human threats. This book has a thread of romance, but is easily appropriate for teenagers and up.

I received this book from a Goodreads Giveaway (thanks!).
Belter
Jul 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Exciting

Loved the premise also the drugs warnings monsters are not always the ones who look scary hope their is more to come
Lena
Jul 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. The gargoyle theme is well done and I can't wait to be able to read more.
Patti P
Jul 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read this quickly. I have been looking for something new and now I find out it's the only one so far. Feeling very abandoned right now. I wanna know what happens next!!!!
Mike Billington
Jul 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When Sloane Jacobs looks at people she not only sees eyes, noses, mouths and bodies; she sees their "colors" as well.
Some are bright, happy colors. Others are ugly.
That's disquieting enough but Sloane has learned that the colors she sees also allow her to know more about the people she looks at than she really wants to know.
This unwanted ability frightens her to the point that she wonders if she is slowly going insane.
She isn't, as it turns out.
She is, instead, very special; a fact she learns wh
Angie ~aka Reading Machine~
Sloane Jacobs has always been able to see everyone's auras and speak with animals. She thinks of herself as freak and has constantly wondered how she managed to sane all of these years. She has always felt calm around "Gray Ones" and safe too. Sloane doesn't like her stepfather Reagan Johnson because something about him is just plain off. Liam McDougall has been a Guardian for many years now taking dangerous assignments along the way. Liam is called to Tampa Bay because three Guardians have gone ...more
Danielle Urban
Dec 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Guardians by Lisa Barry is one extraordinary novel. Her characters are will lure readers deep into this exciting new world. A world where known creatures are nothing like we thoought. Mystery, suspense and a quest to solve will keep readers hostage until the very end.

The Guardians is an exciting adventure waiting to be reead. Readers will disapear from their seats and be taken into Lisa Barry's fictional world. A world just as crazy as our own but very different. Liam and Sloane are two pro
Dorothy
Jun 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really loved this book. It is a breath of fresh air in the paranormal genre. We meet a group of people with special talents and physical abilities that use them to protect the innocent. There are Gargoyles, Aspies, Nymphs, Fae and many other species that are known as guardians. They deal with creatures that many will never know exist and some have differences of their own. But there are missing guardians. This book kept me up all night because I couldn't put it down. I can't wait to read the n ...more
Nicole DragonBeck
I really liked this story! It really pulled you along, with fantastic twists and turns - I can't wait to find out what happens to Sloane and Liam!
Scott Adamson
Sep 29, 2013
Dawn Dean
Aug 21, 2018
Erin
rated it did not like it
Aug 15, 2019
Jun 21, 2018
Witching Hour Publishing
Feb 01, 2018
Lisa Barry
Sep 10, 2013 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Hannah Spencer
Cindy Fong
Chattie
Debbie
Making Connections: 3836. THE GUARDIANS by Lisa Barry 7 26 Jul 03, 2015 01:12PM
Advanced Copies f...: Reviewers wanted for Paranormal Romance/Fantasy 15 59 Jun 21, 2015 10:54AM

• An Oath of the Blood (Island Shifters, #1)
  • A Honeymoon in Space
  • Starfall (Starfall, #1)
  • The Guardian's Apprentice (Beyond the Veil)
  • Save My Place
  • The Shore of Monsters
  • Fallen
  • Frozen
  • To Walk in the Way of Lions (Upper Kingdom, #2)
  • Devices & Desires
  • Gaia's Gambit (Evolution Online, #1)
  • The Herald of Autumn
  • The Bazaar
  • All-American Girl
  • Taerak's Void (Fantastica, #1)
  • The Algebra of Snow:  A Bedtime Story for My Mother
  • Generation
  • Hard Luck (Saga of Menyoral, #1)
Growing up in Florida was not a good enough reason for author, Lisa Barry, to avoid wearing black. A daily color choice, Lisa constantly pines for cool enough weather to wear boots.

Living with her supportive (and hot Kiwi) husband and amazingly awesome kidlets, Lisa counts it a blessing that they still love her despite the deafening sound of her music muse throughout the house.

Writing and reading

Gargoyles Den (2 books)
  • Rogue (Gargoyles Den #2)