Start by marking “Street Soldier” as Want to Read:
Street Soldier

Street Soldier

(Street Soldier #1)

CRIMINAL TURNED SOLDIER - NOW HE MUST STOP A WAR ON LONDON'S STREETS.

London gang member Sean Harker is down on his luck. After a car heist gone wrong, he finds himself in a young offender's institution . . . aged only 16.

Locked up and afraid, a horrifying incident convinces Sean to turn his life around. It's hard, gruelling work in the army cadet force, but it's a chance

Published August 11th 2016 by RHCP Digital (first published April 7th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Street Soldier, please sign up.
Anthony jones I agree with your comment reference the front cover, but yes the character's story is very believable. Hundreds of kids each year volunteer for HM…moreI agree with your comment reference the front cover, but yes the character's story is very believable. Hundreds of kids each year volunteer for HM Forces from this type of background, and if they accept the military ethos they can change their lifestyle tremendously.(less)

Start your review of Street Soldier
Elaine
Oct 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the story of the misadventures of a teen gang member, Sean Harker, who finds that being caught doing the crime really does mean paying back the time. Aged fifteen, he saves two of his mates when spotted trying to steal cars but ends up being caught himself. Convicted, he is sent to a young offenders institute where he reconnects with a couple of other members of the same gang from where he grew up. He discovers that sometimes it is who you know that impacts on how you are treated - but ...more
Zili

*Full disclosure - I wrote this review a while ago and forgot to post it*

Due to the more adult themes and language used I'm going to label Street Soldier as mature YA.

Teenage gangs are a big problem in England. London definitely has a lot of gang related crime, so it wasn't difficult to imagine the scenarios Sean ends up in happening outside of the book. The story is about Sean's crimes and the long lasting consequences.

We see his life in the gang, in a young offenders institution and as a
Anthony jones
Jan 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
loved it

Started at first to lose me a little but then In Typical McNabb style I was hooked and couldn't put the book down brilliant read
Zoe Hall
I won this book, and its sequel Silent Weapon, in a Goodreads giveaway so thank you to the publishers for sending me a copy of these books.

This is my first foray into the literary world of Andy McNab and I enjoyed it.

A decent central narrative set against the backdrop of a military world. Sean is a Young Offender and gets himself embroiled in military life after meeting Phil Adams who introduces Sean to a new government initiative - an army cadet force in Young Offenders Institutes. This
Aug 11, 2016 rated it liked it
As an adult I did enjoy this story I have marked it down due to the fact it's classed as young adult and being published by Penguin Random House UK Children's which could be misleading as to the age range it's suited to and the bad language used throughout though I'm sure 16+ would use such language I'm not sure as a parent I'd want to encourage such language with reading material. I have seen a hardcopy in shops since reading and it does bear a "for older readers" disclaimer on the back (though ...more
Karla
Aug 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first fell in love with Andy Mc Nabs books after reading Bravo Two Zero and Immediate Action some 20 years ago at the age of 16. This book failed to disappoint, action packed, gritty, fully of suspense and intrigue, with unexpecting curveballs a truly enthralling read. Highly recommend for YA.

I was given a copy of the book in return for an honest review.
aaliyah Rafeeq
This was my first read of Andy Mcnab and although i had heard of him didnt really think his books would be my thing until i received this book!! Although i have to say first that the sequel is better but that down to it completes things and you see alot of character development!! But obviously you have to read first book LOVE that he from UK and his loyalty to his country, lovable rouge is defo what the main character is to me!! This book was straight away easy to get into!! Which i was ...more
Rebecca
A new YA set from Andy McNab. This time starting from a young offender, Sean Harker, who as a part of gang ends up getting knicked for stealing a motorbike. In the Young Offenders Institution he gets recruited into the Army where he ends up embroiled in a terrorist plot at home in Central London.

I had a hard job deciding what rating to give this. I was in a more generous mood last night when I gave it 4 stars last night. Truthfully it is more like 3.5 stars and I rounded up, another time I might
Cecilia
Sep 17, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: läst-17
Slutet - klar (spoilers in Swedish)
Den gick lite som jag trodde, speciellt i slutet, att Shaun rädda staden även fast bomberna gick av så räddade han msk:orna å blev befodrar. Gillade verkligen hur Ethan tvistade Shauns förtroende å hur mycket han ljög. Den var dock int lika spännande som ja hoppades men den var riktigt bra. Han gärna vela veta mer om varför Matt va me i skiten, än att "for the guys"
Susan Angela Wallace
Street Soldier by Andy Mcnab.
A very good read with some great characters. Lots of action too. 4*.
Diane Plant
Aug 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Adrianne
Would have been a 4 if it didn't have a lot of backwards and forwards. However after the ending I will definitely pick up book 2
Don
Oct 23, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've enjoyed other Andy McNab books a lot more. This was just kind of an average read.
Michael
Very light and fast. Quick entertainment.
Julie James
I can see teenage boys in particular would LOVE this ( and I know some who do) I just wasn't in the mood...
Sachin Dev
This was my introduction to Andy McNab's high-octane action thrillers - and he's written a big pile of them, most of them bestsellers. And I definitely will pick up more of Andy's books for sure.

Sean Harker, the protagonist here is a seventeen-year old boy, who has this penchant to get into trouble and fall headlong into all the possible traps. Starting with growing up in a rough neighbourhood and thus, being a part of gang that specializes in 'nicking' cars for a living. His latest heist goes
Aylin
Oct 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I received a copy from NetGalley to give an honest review. I was eager to start reading it because reading the synopsis made me think of my very early reading days. And in the end, I was really happy to dive back into this genre.

As a fan of the Alex Rider series by Anthony Horowitz I was hoping that this book was kind of similar. It’s not, that you can really compare the stories yet I found some similarities and familiar elements and that made me really glad that I got to read this book.

I first
Brigitte
Aug 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This Young Adult Thriller is about how easy it is for teenagers to be easily led into following the wrong path. Extending a helping hand can turn their lives around!

Sean is a sixteen year old whose passion is cars and motobikes. He steals them for a living! He lives with his mother and his only other family is his gang.

When Sean and two of his mates and gang members are on a stake out for their next heist, something goes wrong. He does the honourable thing and draws attention to himself to
Emilia
Feb 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Got better as it went on- really exciting!
Jane Hunt
Sep 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Street Soldier by Andy McNab

Jane Hunt Writer First Steps
Jane Hunt Writer Book Reviews Facebook
Jane Hunt Writer Book Reviews Google+
Connect on...:
Twitter

The story’s vivid imagery draws the reader into the world of London’s street gangs. Sean Harker has many commendable qualities, despite his criminal intentions and is an easy anti- hero to identify with, whatever your age but particularly for the intended late teen, young adult audience.
This is a hard-hitting story. The reality of Sean’s life as a gang
Rebecca
Feb 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good mind candy with plenty of action to accompany a fast-paced story line.
Stuart
Dec 22, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
First Andy McNab book I have read and ok. I realise the 'hero' was only 17 but he changes sides so quickly, it feels a lightweight character. Action well described.
Christina
Aug 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Action-packed and fast-paced, this is a thrill ride of a young adult book.

Sean Harker steals cars and causes trouble, until a heist that goes wrong lands him in prison. When he witnesses events he'd rather forget, he's convinced to enlist in the army, and trouble suddenly involves friends, enemies, bombs, and terrorists...

The pace of this book was furious, the action authentic and well-written, and the message a good one. The protagonist was a loveable and charismatic boy with a large dose of
Kushnuma
I received a free e-book copy from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Sean Harker is a thief who steals cars and motorbikes for a living. But he gets caught and ends up in the Young Offender Institution, which is a British prison. One day, he is recruited for the Army and which he accepts. From the time Sean joins the army, there is a build-up of suspense and a lot of action.

Overall a good read.
Corien
Jan 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked listening to this book - great narrator too.
Fast paced story with a lot of action (probably targeted at YA?)
Matt
Sep 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good read, some great twists and turns all the way through! Very entertaining with plenty of page turning action keeps hooked till the very end.
Gillian Ashton
Sep 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
Review from a younger family member who I gave this book to:
" It was dead good. I love his books. I love the characters and the story and I will give this to my mates to read cos it was dead good!"
Neil
Nov 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, thriller
I received a free copy via Netgalley in exchange for a honest review.

This is a wonderful, action packed short story.
Pick it up and don't stop reading.
Kathryn West
ARC from Netgalley. Didn't hate it but didn't love it. It's not quite on a par with Alex Ryder or Young James Bond YA but a relatively easy read.
Deborah Courtney
May 09, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Black Ops (Danny Black #7)
  • Head Hunters (Danny Black #6)
  • The Angry Sea (John Carr, #2)
  • Hard Target (Extreme #1)
  • Warlord (Danny Black #5)
  • Sniper One: The Blistering True Story of a British Battle Group Under Siege
  • Bad Soldier (Danny Black, #4)
  • The Sandpit: An Action-Packed Spider Shepherd SAS Novella
  • Red Strike (Strike Back #4)
  • Saint Death (John Milton #2)
  • Blackout
  • Traitors of Rome (Eagle #18)
  • The Driver (John Milton #3)
  • Once A Pilgrim (John Carr, #1)
  • The John Milton Series: Books 7-9
  • Blood Moon Rising (Beatrix Rose, #2)
  • The John Milton Series: Books 4-6 (The John Milton Series Boxset Book 2)
  • The Quantum Magician
Andy McNab joined the infantry in 1976 as a boy soldier. In 1984 he was badged as a member of 22 SAS Regiment. He served in B Squadron 22 SAS for ten years and worked on both covert and overt special operations worldwide, including anti-terrorist and anti-drug operations in the Middle and Far East, South and Central America and Northern Ireland.

Trained as a specialist in counter terrorism, prime

Street Soldier (2 books)