Start by marking “Waves” as Want to Read:
Waves

Waves

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  31 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
THERE’S NO SET ROUTE AFTER ALL. NO STRAIGHT ROAD. NO ONE PATH.

Alex is stuck. Stuck in Essex. Stuck in his childhood home. Stuck in a job he hates. The relationship he’d been counting on all these years has finally fallen apart. He’s run out of things to hope for.

Anxious, uncertain and totally sober, Alex is dragged to the Outer Hebrides by his long-suffering friend, James.
Published September 15th 2016 by Urbane Publications

To ask other readers questions about Waves, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Waves

Miriam Smith
Dec 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kept-book
'Waves' is debut book by Jared A. Carnie and is a little gem of a book, pure beauty and escapism. It's a simple thought provoking tale of Alex and his best friend James on a road trip to visit James' family in the Outer Hebrides. Alex is trying to adjust to life in the aftermath of a life changing event. Whilst walking on the secluded sandy beaches and befriending a girl called Isobel he rediscovers life, his ambitions and himself. The author captures the relationship and banter with James flawl ...more
Layla (Between the Lines)
Sep 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs, read-in-2016
I received this eARC from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. This in no way alters my opinion of the work.
“There’s no set route after all. No straight road. No one path.”
There’s no crazy plot line. No inciting incident. No revealing climax. This is a real story about real life.

Meet Alex. He is surprisingly sober and unsurprisingly introverted, but I suppose his sobriety doesn’t surprise me that much at all. When you feel like anxiety is consuming you through every p
Maggie
Sep 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book can be best described as a gentle book. There are no earth shattering events but in the course of the book a life is changed forever. Alex drifted into a job whilst his girlfriend went to Uni. He believed that they would marry when she graduated. That didn't happen. Now he is stuck in a rut. His friend James takes him to the Outer Hebrides to stay with his family for a week. The island and the people make Alex realise that there are always options.

A thoroughly nice read! Thanks to Netg
Jo
Oct 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
Waves is the debut novel by Jared A. Carnie and what a beautiful book it is.

The novel revolves around Alex and how he finds himself alone and lost in the world, in terms of his personal life, work, and personal identity. This book is about Alex finding out who he is and his place in the world.

The book begins by telling us about Alex's recent breakup with his long term girlfriend. His best friend James, whose family now live in the Outer Hebrides, comes to Alex's rescue and the two young men find
Susan Angela Wallace
Sep 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Wavesby Jared A. Carnie is a new adult and general fiction read.
SOMETIMES THE HARDER WE LOOK, THE LESS WE SEE...
Alex is stuck. Stuck in Essex. Stuck in his childhood home. Stuck in a job he hates. The relationship he'd been counting on all these years has finally fallen apart. He's run out of things to hope for.
This was a good read. I liked the character Alex although he was gloomy at times. I liked the ending too. Recommended. 4*. Thanks to netgalley for the arc.
Nicsabooklife
Jul 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Jared A. Carnie's debut novel, Waves was a good, very charming read. The main character Alex has sort of been drifting along after a bad breakup changes his life plans and he's not sure how to carry on. In order to get Alex's mind off of his breakup, his friend James whisks him away to visit his family in the Outer Hebrides. It's a quiet place, where everyone is in each other's business and there's a lot of nature to be seen. As Alex takes in the sights and meets new people, he begins to questio ...more
Snoakes
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this gentle little book. Character rather than plot driven, nothing much happens - and that's not a bad thing. Alex is reeling from his recent break up with his long-term girlfriend. His friend James is off to visit his parents on a remote Scottish island and decides to drag Alex along with him. It's about friendship and the healing power of silence and landscape. The relationship between the two young men is very well-drawn, and the Island of Lewis is beautifully described.
The literar
Withmanyroots
Aug 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Read this book very quickly on a trip to Wales.

Gentle, unassuming and quietly revealing. It took me a little while but I enjoyed the understated nature of this book. How you slowly learn just how cut up the protagonist is, almost drip fed. I found myself dreaming of a trip to Scotland again. I think many people can relate to a break up of that sorts and I shared my optimism as he hints at turning a small corner as they begin their journey back home.
Sarah Nicholls
Jun 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The scenery in this book was so atmospheric and the ending left me feeling uplifted and inspired, like I had been on my own little trip to the Hebrides! Absolute escapism.
Martin Appleby
Feb 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Waves follows the story of a young man by the name of Alex. After his long-term girlfriend breaks up with him, his life and its planned trajectory, take a nosedive. With the future he thought he knew, and thought he wanted, taken away from him he is understandably heart broken. In steps his childhood friend, James, who invites him to tag along on his annual visit to his parents' home on the Isle of Lewis. Alex is reluctant at first but James does not take no for an answer, and Alex soon finds hi ...more
Thelastwordreview
Nov 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
There is something different between the covers of Waves by Jared A. Carnie, that I just really enjoyed. Not just the stunning location of Outer Hebrides but the story it is just so beautifully told. It is a simple tale of life as many of us have experienced. The real beauty of Waves is not to expect any great drama to unfold not even any crime to solve. To be able to write a plot line that does not involve any great plot twisting writing. Just a pure delight to read.

We meet Alex a guy whose re
Martha Brindley
Sep 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Not my usual style of book as I prefer thrillers. It is well written and told in a charming way. Alex is stuck in his life and travels to the Outer Hebrides with his friend James. He learns a bit more about himself and what he wants from life as he goes on a voyage of self discovery on an island. Good descriptive passages had me transported to the isle of Lewis as Alex finds his way in life. A nice easy holiday read. Thank you Net Galley for my copy.
Abigail
Sep 22, 2016 rated it did not like it
Seriously!!? Can somebody tell me what this book is actually about? All I could gather that it was a few days of a very bland boring dude who goes to stay at his mates parents . where is the plot here or for that matter the point of this book?! Truly one of the most boring books I have ever wasted my time reading!!
Louise Child
Sweet week in the life story.

A sweet " week in the life story". A sort of coming of age .Young , jumpy but not really diverting .
Jenny Savory
Jan 22, 2016
Erin Ballard
Nov 05, 2016
Christer Saimon
rated it did not like it
Jul 05, 2018
Daniella
Apr 16, 2018
Andrew Smith
Dec 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
'Waves' is a brilliantly sneaky novel whose insights tend to creep up on you unawares. Written in twenty-something Alex's voice — low-key yet compelling — we're privy to his thoughts and ideas, sometimes charmingly naive but always philosophically fascinating, as he wrestles with the effects of a recent heart-breaking and potentially life-changing event. Alex is on a road trip from Southern England to the Isle of Lewis to visit the parents of his driving companion and best friend, James. Their c ...more
Faye Savory