Start by marking “Themself: My Experience as an Open University Creative Writing Student” as Want to Read:
Themself: My Experience as an Open University Creative Writing Student

Themself: My Experience as an Open University Creative Writing Student

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  9 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
This is part inspirational life writing about how I learnt to write and apply some craft to my stories, and part vehicle for my writing. Mainly though I hope that you will see how I have crafted stories and poems from the examples that I have given.

Some of this book is taken from my blog, but I’ve presented it in a way that makes it much easier to read the interesting bit
Paperback, first edition, 250 pages
Published January 22nd 2016 by Castlegreen Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Themself, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Themself

Tim Roast
Mar 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
I've read some short story and other writing collections before, and there is an element of stop/start as you move from one piece to the next. In this collection the author has created a flow by linking his writings to an OU creative writing course.

What we have here is a collection of short stories and poems, a military theme being evident in a lot of them, interspersed with little tips on writing that the author has found useful to himself and for his course. Therefore you can imagine that this
Terry Tyler
Mar 23, 2016 rated it it was ok
Reviewed by me as a member of Rosie Amber's Review Team

This is a sort of diary, originally produced via James Kemp's blog, of some of his exercises from his course. It includes some pieces he submitted, and a few other random ones, and poetry. At the back there is some information on editing, self-publishing and promotion from James's own experience.

This would be of interest to the absolute beginner, as some of the initial exercises are elementary, the sort of thing one learns at school. It's ni
B.A. Spicer
Mar 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
As a writer myself I enjoyed James Kemp’s experiences of following an OU course in creative writing. Apparently, these were published regularly on his blog and then integrated into a book, which means that there is sometimes repetition. But this doesn’t detract from the interest.

There are helpful pointers for inexperienced writers and useful reminders for those who have been writing for years. It was fascinating to follow the processes included on the course and to read how the author structure
Jane
Nov 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was asked to review this by Librarything.com.

Essentially this is the experiences of the author on an Open University course in creative writing. This was part of his blog.
This aids would be writers in creative writing ( not easy I went on a course a few years back).

I was not sure about this at first but found this inspiring and informative all in the one bag. there are short stories and poems with handy hints on writing.

Recommended read.
Anja
Mar 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
I got this book as a giveaway on goodreads and have to say I was pleasantly surprised as it is not just informative but entertaining as well.
The reader gets a good idea of how to start Mission Creative Writing. Mr Kemp offers a wide range of examples of his own work, but also useful websites.
I am a complete novice and still not sure whether I have a smidgen of talent, but at least I have an idea of where and how to start if I ever summon up the courage!
James Kemp
Jan 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Themself is about my experience of studying creative writing with the open university. Although it goes further than that and includes the things I’ve learnt from my experience of writing, studying and self publishing.

You’ll find some of the content in Themself on my blog, but only about half of it. You’ll also find that I’ve edited it since I first published it on the blog. Although I’ve tried hard to keep to the original character of the contemporary blog posts about how I was feeling. The bit
Daniela
Mar 30, 2018
Melissa Cheresnick
Jun 09, 2018
Lavender
Mar 23, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways, kindle, own
Placeholder

I won this book via Goodreads Giveaways.
Leah
rated it it was ok
Jun 25, 2018
Clipinchick
May 07, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I received this book for free from the author/publisher in response for an honest review of the book. I have not had the opportunity to read this book at this time. I will add my
review of this book once I have read the book. Thank k you for allowing me the optometrist review your work. I look forward to reading this book.
Fleet Sparrow
Scott
Laura Lekas
Vitus Liske
Feb 22, 2018
I'm a Glaswegian living in Surrey, which is good because it added about 20 years to my life expectancy and generally it rains less here than in the West of Scotland. I have always written stories, since I was a boy, and I've managed to carry that on even though I did a science degree and then work for the UK government. More recently I've been doing a degree with the Open University, which include ...more
More about James Kemp